Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

Just off the phone to my uncle in Dublin, said a 17 year old neighbour did himself in. Community is devastated. These people deserve to be remembered, equally as important as those who passed from Covid complications. Damage wrought on mental health of extended lockdowns throughout Ireland is incalculable, let's not sweep it under the carpet.

A guy threw himself in a river around from me.

I’d love to see the suicide figures for last year compared to other years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

If masks work then when the need for lockdown, if lockdown workn then why do we need masks.

The flu vaccine stopped working in 17/18, take your head out of your hole and observe what's really happening.

Mod:

Take the mask talk to the appropriate thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Solar2021

Just off the phone to my uncle in Dublin, said a 17 year old neighbour did himself in. Community is devastated. These people deserve to be remembered, equally as important as those who passed from Covid complications. Damage wrought on mental health of extended lockdowns throughout Ireland is incalculable, let's not sweep it under the carpet.

I know it's not PC but a certain demographic need some home truths and restictions put on them to let young people live imo, it's gone on too long now

It's not fair young adults are locked down for a virus that will do nothing to 99% of them to save a certain demographic that it can be devastating for and they both have the same restrictions against them, makes no sense.

Demographic based restrictions should be brought in after this lockdown imo

I wouldn't be letting them into dangerous enviroments like restaurant's, gym's etc until it's safe or they have been vaccinated

If your 10 stone overweight or 70+ years of age you know it's not safe out there, stay home would be message

Show me anywhere in the world that's manager to isolate this virus and I'll buy into the bull**** it even exists.

We've isolated it, but not using Koch’s method?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Solar2021 wrote: »
    We've isolated it, but not using Koch’s method?

Bull**** we haven't isolated it yet. It's a sick joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

ah here - condolences to that young man and his family

but not everything can be laid at Covid's door. There were suicides before Covid and there will be after.

I'm not advocating sweeping anything under any carpets but what exactly do you know of that child's case that leads you here?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Show me anywhere in the world that's manager to isolate this virus and I'll buy into the bull**** it even exists.

Ok, so in your opinion, why are all these people dying?
    Almost 2 million in 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I know it's not PC but a certain demographic need some home truths and restictions put on them to let young people live imo, it's gone on too long now

If your 10 stone overweight or 70+ years of age you know it's not safe out there, stay home would be message

I had a disagreement with an overweight relative who smokes over Christmas about the effectiveness of the restrictions.

All kinds of irony that I was paying for and helping to protect him from his own poor life choices.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Almost 2 million in 2020

We need to put some perspective on this type of emotional fact manipulation.

55 million die each year

10 million starve each year

The globes population is still growing

The age of death from Covid suggests those people were vulnerable and near death. An adult conversation needs to occur about death before normality will resume I fear

It's not fair young adults are locked down for a virus that will do nothing to 99% of them to save a certain demographic that it can be devastating for and they both have the same restrictions against them, makes no sense.

Demographic based restrictions should be brought in after this lockdown imo

I wouldn't be letting them into dangerous enviroments like restaurant's, gym's etc until it's safe or they have been vaccinated

not sure that this is either possible or feasible...

if Granny and Grandad want out for a walk? Who is going to stop them?

if Granny and Grandad want out to the shops? Who is going to stop them?

if Granny and Grandad want out to the local pub that's now open? Who is going to stop them?

etc etc

• Advertisement

I had a disagreement with an overweight relative who smokes over Christmas about the effectiveness of the restrictions.

All kinds of irony that I was paying for and helping to protect him from his own poor life choices.

That's it

That debate has been going on forever

Smokers, drinkers and the overweight take up most of the medical resources in countries, we've been kicking that can for decades.

Covid isn't PC, it takes the weakest

Almost 2 million in 2020

Because their time is up and it's not 2million in your wildest dreams, how many people died as a direct result of Covid and nothing else, **** all.

55 million die each year

The age of death from Covid suggests those people were vulnerable and near death. An adult conversation needs to occur about death before normality will resume I fear

Sigh.
    Ok, why do we have 2 million additional deaths in 2020?

I've never seen someone catch starvation from someone else... Have you?

Because their time is up and it's not 2million in your wildest dreams, how many people died as a direct result of Covid and nothing else, **** all.

So what are they dying from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

55 million die each year

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/number-of-deaths-per-year
    Yes, no context for the figure of 2 million.

Here’s an interesting graph on projected deaths per year worldwide to 2099 - just an aside really but for perspective.

But back specifically to recorded Covid related deaths - a figure for comparison would be how many die from respiratory illness worldwide each year? I don’t have that figure but would be interested to see how it compares.

That's it

That debate has been going on forever

Smokers, drinkers and the overweight take up most of the medical resources in countries, we've been kicking that can for decades.

Covid isn't PC, it takes the weakest

Smokers are lest likely group to die from Covid. Those spike proteins have nothing to attach to.

lawred2 wrote: »
    not sure that this is either possible or feasible...

if Granny and Grandad want out for a walk? Who is going to stop them?

if Granny and Grandad want out to the shops? Who is going to stop them?

if Granny and Grandad want out to the local pub that's now open? Who is going to stop them?

etc etc

You just put the message out and hope they listen

ID's would stop the elderly getting into places

Goverment warning's on TV, Radio etc that over 70's, obese, immunocompromised are to stay home, just warn them

A few feelings will be hurt, but those environments like dining are not safe for them

Sigh.
    Ok, why do we have 2 million additional deaths in 2020?

I've never seen someone catch starvation from someone else... Have you?

Where did you see the 2m additional deaths?

I was using perspective about starvation deaths.

I know many virtue signallers couldn’t give 2 hoots about children starving in the 3rd world.

It does however indicate Covid is a 1st world illness

You just put the message out and hope they listen

ID's would stop the elderly getting into places

Goverment warning's on TV, Radio etc that over 70's, obese, immunocompromised are to stay home, just warn them

A few feelings will be hurt, but those environments like dining are not safe for them

Sorry. Simply not real world. Curtailing the freedoms of one of the most involved and active voter groups.

Not happening.

You can advise as much as you like.

55 million die each year

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2021/0101/1187231-healthcare-worker-death/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Why didn't they have their own stocks on standby? If you're running a business for vulnerable people, surely you should have done some planning and preparation for such a scenario, instead of sticking your hand out to the Government when times get tough?

Sorry did you miss the worldwide shortage we experienced for PPE and sanitiser at the start of this pandemic?
    That was the whole reason we had to fly to China for supplies. It was the reason they had to advise the public at the very start that masks weren’t workable or necessary, because they were trying to keep stocks for the frontline.
    It was also the reason that many top clothing designers started mass producing PPE and medical gowns and how distillers started producing hand sanitiser - worldwide shortage + emergency.

https://www.thejournal.ie/nursing-homes-ireland-ppe-5107840-May2020/
    “Suppliers have confirmed to NHI and members that they are not in a position to supply as they state that they are supplying all such products exclusively to HSE at this time,” he said.

The notes from the survey reveal that many nursing homes experienced difficulties with securing PPE during the first few months of the crisis.
    “We are using painters overalls, painters goggles, surgical masks that cost €1.50 each.

The government basically exclusively took over all supply chains so that private businesses couldn’t source it themselves, and then neglected to prioritise care home workers on the frontline.
    Workers are who were dealing with among the most vulnerable members of society, but instead of being prioritised or even considered many had nothing at all and the rest had to make do with their own home made PPE using supplies from hardware stores.
    That is absolutely disgraceful.

Still no comment on the direct provision centres and the hospital outbreaks. I’m assuming that’s because you have yet to come up with a justification for it that makes it our fault and admonishes those in charge of any responsibility. Very telling.

There is always a risk of course.

Would a healthcare worker have died from a respiratory illness previously?

Those cases are of course snatched at by the media, regurgitated at any chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

I'm not a numbers expert, far from it. But just pondering the 25,000 vaccinations next week and if it was to continue at similar rates in the following weeks, maybe we get even more vaccinated...within a few weeks its a significant amount of vulnerable people protected from the virus.

Given that we have over 2000 deaths so far, many multiples of that figure are taken out of the equation as regards potential Covid deaths. I'd just be very skeptical of the need for a full on level 5 lockdown continuing for much longer. Not saying no restrictions entirely, but surely even in the coming weeks we are reducing the amount that are truly at risk. Does this still justify a level 5? Even that's not enough according to NPHET. Interested in what others think.

There is always a risk of course.

Would a healthcare worker have died from a respiratory illness previously?

Those cases are of course snatched at by the media, regurgitated at any chance.

Of course 60 year olds die from respiratory illnesses.

Happens every year in the NHS with influenza

Of course 60 year olds die from respiratory illnesses.

Happens every year in the NHS with influenza

Got the numbers for comparison?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭Penfailed

You seriously think that the virus doesn't exist?!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement

I'm not a numbers expert, far from it. But just pondering the 25,000 vaccinations next week and if it was to continue at similar rates in the following weeks, maybe we get even more vaccinated...within a few weeks its a significant amount of vulnerable people protected from the virus.

Given that we have over 2000 deaths so far, many multiples of that figure are taken out of the equation as regards potential Covid deaths. I'd just be very skeptical of the need for a full on level 5 lockdown continuing for much longer. Not saying no restrictions entirely, but surely even in the coming weeks we are reducing the amount that are truly at risk. Does this still justify a level 5? Even that's not enough according to NPHET. Interested in what others think.

Saw it estimated that 750,000 are very vulnerable to it, after that the chance of hospitalisation and death is minuscule

To get 750,000 done by April 1st

We need to be vaccinating 8,500 people a day or 60,000 or so a week

We should be able to do that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement