Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

Smokers are lest likely group to die from Covid. Those spike proteins have nothing to attach to.

I thought a few posts back you didn’t believe the virus exists?

Oh, and bullsh*ting as always
    https://www.who.int/news-room/commentaries/detail/smoking-and-covid-19

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

Solar2021 wrote: »
    Saw it estimated that 750,000 are very vulnerable to it, after that the chance of hospitalisation and death is minuscule

To get 750,000 done by April 1st

We need to be vaccinating 8,500 people a day or 60,000 or so a week

We should be able to do that?

Reading something from the Lancet at the moment:https://www.thelancet.com/journals/langlo/article/PIIS2214-109X(20)30264-3/fulltext

Breaks it into two categories, increased risk and high risk. Looks like there are more than 750,000 at increased risk but high risk seems to be around 5-6% of population.

Saw it estimated that 750,000 are very vulnerable to it, after that the chance of hospitalisation and death is minuscule

To get 750,000 done by April 1st

We need to be vaccinating 8,500 people a day or 60,000 or so a week

We should be able to do that?

I’d struggle to be so optimistic with that number of vaccinations being administered per week.

Late August is really the most likely

This is the only pandemic people will tolerate for this generation I feel

The next one may well be an actual dangerous one but will people have become desensitised?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Show me anywhere in the world that's manager to isolate this virus and I'll buy into the bull**** it even exists.

Well then you should do your country a service by taking the vaccine and stopping the virus along with the lockdowns , when it’s available to you , but we all know you won’t be taking it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Anyone else honestly feel like, roll on 2022?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Anyone else honestly feel like, roll on 2022?

Nope, for me roll on 2nd half 2021.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Because their time is up and it's not 2million in your wildest dreams, how many people died as a direct result of Covid and nothing else, **** all.

Mod:

You have been warned about this sort of conspiracy nonsense before.

Do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

May this worker RIP. Such a sad story, I read it earlier.
    The fact remains that despite us being months into this pandemic, these workers are not tested regularly. They are still overworked despite thousands signing up to work in the 'call to Ireland'. The mis-management of our hospital and care homes settings will come out in time I'm sure. I know they cannot prevent all infections in these settings, but it seems Ireland is performing very poorly in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Sorry did you miss the worldwide shortage we experienced for PPE and sanitiser at the start of this pandemic?
    That was the whole reason we had to fly to China for supplies. It was the reason they had to advise the public at the very start that masks weren’t workable or necessary, because they were trying to keep stocks for the frontline.
    It was also the reason that many top clothing designers started mass producing PPE and medical gowns and how distillers started producing hand sanitiser - worldwide shortage + emergency.

https://www.thejournal.ie/nursing-homes-ireland-ppe-5107840-May2020/

The government basically exclusively took over all supply chains so that private businesses couldn’t source it themselves, and then neglected to prioritise care home workers on the frontline.
    Workers are who were dealing with among the most vulnerable members of society, but instead of being prioritised or even considered many had nothing at all and the rest had to make do with their own home made PPE using supplies from hardware stores.
    That is absolutely disgraceful.

Still no comment on the direct provision centres and the hospital outbreaks. I’m assuming that’s because you have yet to come up with a justification for it that makes it our fault and admonishes those in charge of any responsibility. Very telling.

Has that been validated in anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

img

Lets hope there is no shortage of PPE now.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭GPoint

Boggles wrote: »
    img

Lets hope there is no shortage of PPE now.

They have been told to only test those who have symptoms. Is it a surprise that positivity rate goes up now?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's quite possible the island of Ireland has the worst contagion per capita in the entire world right now...although can't really say that until they confirm the cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Uriel. wrote: »
    Has that been validated in anyway?

Has what been validated? The confirmed PPE shortage in nursing homes at the beginning of the pandemic? The ongoing negligence in the direct provision centres? Or the continued mismanagement of hospital outbreaks?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

GPoint wrote: »
    They have been told to only test those who have symptoms. Is it a surprise that positivity rate goes up now?

Doesn't really matter TBH. Those numbers are horrific.

The system has pretty much buckled.

God only knows what the true level of infection in the community is and will be for the next 7-14 days at a minimum.

Hospitalizations now become the key indicator.

Circa 5% hospitalization rate, give or take depending on profile of infected.

So 50 out of every 1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

It's quite possible the island of Ireland has the worst contagion per capita in the entire world right now...although can't really say that until they confirm the cases.

It seems to go up and down quite a lot. We've been best Europe only a few days ago?

I dont know what that may tell us or nor not. Just an observation.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I know it's not PC but a certain demographic need some home truths and restictions put on them to let young people live imo, it's gone on too long now

It's not fair young adults are locked down for a virus that will do nothing to 99% of them to save a certain demographic that it can be devastating for and they both have the same restrictions against them, makes no sense.

Demographic based restrictions should be brought in after this lockdown imo

I wouldn't be letting them into dangerous enviroments like restaurant's, gym's etc until it's safe or they have been vaccinated

If your 10 stone overweight or 70+ years of age you know it's not safe out there, stay home would be message

The only polite suggestion I can make to you is that you stand at the next election on that platform, and see how many votes you get.

The non polite suggestion is not going to get past the swear filters on the site, suffice to say that it has a lot of F's in it!

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

GPoint wrote: »

I see you ignored the 5500 positive swab numbers.

There is no way to spin this, its serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Solar2021

The only polite suggestion I can make to you is that you stand at the next election on that platform, and see how many votes you get.

The non polite suggestion is not going to get past the swear filters on the site, suffice to say that it has a lot of F's in it!

That is true

Unfortunately, no one can be told what to do, they'll have to see it for themselves and it will find you if you want it to.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Show me anywhere in the world that's manager to isolate this virus and I'll buy into the bull**** it even exists.

Would someone that knows how to do it please set up a crowd fund page to buy him that boat and lots of the beer he keeps on about, my only requirement is that it does NOT have any sort of internet connection.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Has what been validated? The confirmed PPE shortage in nursing homes at the beginning of the pandemic? The ongoing negligence in the direct provision centres? Or the continued mismanagement of hospital outbreaks?

The global shortage of PPE is well documented.
    What I can't figure out though is why the state is being blamed and secondly why the state needed to have foresight but the individual services with actual responsibility seem to be able to transfer responsibility to the State. Its a bizarre narrative

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Boggles wrote: »
    Doesn't really matter TBH. Those numbers are horrific.

The system has pretty much buckled.

God only knows what the true level of infection in the community is and will be for the next 7-14 days at a minimum.

Hospitalizations now become the key indicator.

Circa 5% hospitalization rate, give or take depending on profile of infected.

So 50 out of every 1000.

Is the 5% hospitalisation rate based on confirmed cases, etc say in Oct? Or March/April when we definitely under reported our case numbers. Just trying to do a few calculations re our current ICU capacity.
    It would also be helpful if we could have the figures as to who is actually symptomatic in hospital and not just testing positive when in for something else. I see one of the first babies of the New Year was born to a person who tested Covid positive (asymptomatic).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Uriel. wrote: »
    The global shortage of PPE is well documented.
    What I can't figure out though is why the state is being blamed and secondly why the state needed to have foresight but the individual services with actual responsibility seem to be able to transfer responsibility to the State. Its a bizarre narrative

The state isn’t being blamed for the lack of PPE, the state is being blamed for not prioritising or even considering nursing homes when they allocated said PPE.

The HSE took over the entire manufacturing supply chain, knowing that this would mean private nursing homes would be left exposed, and then did nothing to help them.
    The outbreaks in nursing homes is responsible for the majority of the deaths since all this started.
    Perhaps the death rate would not have been so high if they had been provided with PPE when it was made available, visitors had been banned when the virus was rampant, and hospitals hadn’t discharged covid positive patients back to care homes in order for free up beds for a surge that never came.
    No one else is responsible for that apart from the HSE/the state, and I’m quite sure the inevitable enquiry will prove as much in a few years.
    They completely dropped the ball when it came to protecting our most vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,081 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

I think it’s safe to say no restrictions will be relaxed for a while

I think it’s safe to say no restrictions will be relaxed for a whil

Haha

Realistically it’s May/June for relaxation if we remember what happened last year and the fact we are basing it on having nobody in hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 10,081 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Haha

Realistically it’s May/June for relaxation if we remember what happened last year and the fact we are basing it on having nobody in hospital

I think Tony's concern'o'meter will have exploded.
    Since he was gravely concerned when there were only a handful of cases and close to zero deaths there's no higher levels to express his concern left.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

I think Tony's concern'o'meter will have exploded.
    Since he was gravely concerned when there were only a handful of cases and close to zero deaths there's no higher levels to express his concern left.

Level 6: Stay home and do not look out windows.

Seriously, I agree with you. He's off the scale now. Where can he go from here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Level 6: Stay home and do not look out windows.

Seriously, I agree with you. He's off the scale now. Where can he go from here?

He can and will now blame everything on "relaxation" which already "happened".
    All he need to do now is keep repeating "told you so".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭KaneToad

patnor1011 wrote: »
    He can and will now blame everything on "relaxation" which already "happened".
    All he need to do now is keep repeating "told you so".

What do you blame it on?

• Advertisement

KaneToad wrote: »
    What do you blame it on?

Two thirds of the deaths in December were due to nursing home and hospital outbreaks. We completely failed to even try put actions in place to stop that from happening.

The delay in reporting cases is because the IT system is outdated and has failed.

Contact tracing has failed.

Vaccines have been left sitting in freezers and our leaders “Don’t know” when asked why we hadn’t started vaccinating.

The longest/harshest restrictions in Europe hasn’t worked well at all.

Our leaders have failed us again and again. And that’s without even getting into the economy and other health issues.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement