Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

beaz2018 wrote: »
    Close the forum lads, it’s ain’t lifting anytime soon.

The main forum should be closed too with all the hysterics bringing in the army, curfews shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Close the forum lads, it’s ain’t lifting anytime soon.

Isn’t that more reason to keep it open?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    You have no idea if covid was transmitted in your store . There are numerous people testing positive who have no idea where they got it .

Staff at Tesco, Dunnes, Lidl etc were not contracting the virus en masse all throughout the year. Everyone was expecting it to happen. The stores were hiring extra staff in the case of emergency but it never transpired.

The dynamics are the exact same. The spread makes absolutely zip difference if somebody is buying a large sliced pan or a handbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

Micky 32 wrote: »
    The main forum should be closed too with all the hysterics bringing in the army, curfews shyte.

Absolutely agree, it’s full of lunatics. However they have won, lockdowns are prevailing and they are the only answer to this in the eyes of the masses. Hence this forum is redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

If we don't see a serious relaxation in restrictions by mid to end of February, the end of peak flu season, I'll be getting extremely concerned that there is something much more sinister going on here....there are way too many inconsistencies for my liking.

Ah would you go get a life. Explain the inconsistencies.

We know the virus has a new variation. We know the HSE is struggling like many other health services around the world, we know this is awful, we know we cannot control it without severe lockdown.

Looking forward to your alternative suggestions. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

We know the virus has a new variation. We know the HSE is struggling like many other health services around the world, we know this is awful, we know we cannot control it without severe lockdown.

The HSE is not struggling. I have 2 close family members and friends Drs in main Dublin hospitals. ‘Never quieter’.

Before you attack me, that’s the reality. I’m not saying they wouldn’t struggle if this got worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

copeyhagen wrote: »
    yep, 100% enjoyed the few nights out, would do again 10/10

Fair play to you man. You’ll get heaps of virtual high fives and back slaps for that comment in here. Someone might even offer to knit you a cape.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The HSE is not struggling. I have 2 close family members and friends Drs in main Dublin hospitals. ‘Never quieter’.

Before you attack me, that’s the reality. I’m not saying they wouldn’t struggle if this got worse.

I would never attack anyone. Just for the record.

Hopefully you are correct and I am wrong, I never in my life wanted to be so wrong about an issue such as this up to now.

Staff at Tesco, Dunnes, Lidl etc were not contracting the virus en masse all throughout the year. Everyone was expecting it to happen. The stores were hiring extra staff in the case of emergency but it never transpired.

The dynamics are the exact same. The spread makes absolutely zip difference if somebody is buying a large sliced pan or a handbag.

There are plenty of pubs, restaurants and stores that have had cases. Supermarkets have been reasonably well equipped in facilitating customers to shop in a quick, safe manner. Yet they haven’t been without cases. I could name plenty of establishments that have had clusters but with respect, I won’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I would but I can't leave the house.

We know the HSE struggles every year which is awful.

Do you think we should lockdown everytime there is a trolley crisis in our hospitals? Stop all traffic so we have fewer car accidents, lock the elderly into their homes so they don't catch the flu? Make sure kids don't play games so they won't clog up the emergency wards?

I can understand restrictions, handwashing, social distancing because clearly it is a nasty infection for a percentage of patients...but the severity of lockdowns is a blunt instrument that has enormous health and economic implications.

I don't understand how we don't have recognised therapeutics but multiple vaccines.

I don't understand how we don't have accurate, rapid and cheap testing kits that would allow large parts of society and the economy work safely.

During the height of the pandemic back in March/April/May the supermarket workers (who were interfacing with the infectious public without masks) were largely untouched by the vicious/infectious virus that we are all still locked in our own homes for our own safety.

The cure is worse than the disease as far as I can see...I know several over 70s who were infected but got through it without a bother, I know a lot more over 70s who's lives will never return to normal because of this fear and anxiety that is being pumped into the population every day since last March.

Don't swallow everything that is rammed down your throat every day is my advice...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭HBC08

Micky 32 wrote: »

In fairness the main thread is fairly depressing with all the reality and stuff.
    I genuinely (and anyone can check my post count) enjoy it much more on here.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Public will be blamed for rise in numbers like always

The public of had enough of the finger pointing and Lives been disturbed

Anyone willfully ignoring restrictions needs to recognise they are a major part of the problem

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Never quieter in all areas except for Covid. The point is people are not getting flu as they are not socially interacting as much as in previous years. People are not tripping on icy pavements. People are putting off otherwise regular hospital appointments/procedures.

The big unknow from an HSE perspective is what will it be like in another 2-3 weeks when we start seeing some of the XMas and New Year activities translate into Covid hospital numbers.

It's a fascinating example of how easily people succumb to persistent media conditioning as well.

It’s an example of the all encompassing power of the media as well.

Democracy can be removed rather easily in fact

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Fair play to you man. You’ll get heaps of virtual high fives and back slaps for that comment in here. Someone might even offer to knit you a cape.

nice, im a size large now, guinness and constant lockdown eating at home have caught up with my metabolism.

To be fair, there are some good posters on the main thread.

Unfortunately it has just become very hysterical. And it’s not uncommon to see things mentioned like alcohol ban, curfews, army, water cannons.

It’s actually very sad that people are so afraid that this is what they are prepared to resort to.

copeyhagen wrote: »
    nice, im a size large now, guinness and constant lockdown eating at home have caught up with my metabolism.

You wouldn’t be alone. Lots of people have got very comfy and complacent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Beasty wrote: »
    Anyone willfully ignoring restrictions needs to recognise they are a major part of the problem

No, you're wrong. People would psychologically crumble if they isolated completely for 10 months.

If our "strategy" depends on that level of isolation then it is a kind of metaphysical anti-realism like aspects of Soviet Communism. The problem is setting impossible goals - not failing to reach those goals

People who care about their personal survival have to dodge the restrictions to some extent, especially if they are isolated alone as opposed to isolated with a family unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

growleaves wrote: »
    No, you're wrong. People would psychologically crumble if they isolated completely for 10 months.

If our "strategy" depends on that level of isolation then it is a kind of metaphysical anti-realism like aspects of Soviet Communism. The problem is setting impossible goals - not failing to reach those goals

People who care about their personal survival have to dodge the restrictions to some extent, especially if they are isolated alone as opposed to isolated with a family unit.

Locking up the over 70s back in March/April/May, depriving them of seeing their grandkids, exercising, driving was in my view the actions of an unhinged individual with way too much power.

Many of these people will spend their remaining years in a state of fear/anxiety they will never recover from...at that age, disrupting their modest daily activities can and will have life altering effects, it actually disturbing that Houlihan is adored by so many...the vast majority of those over 70s should they have been infected would be perfectly fine today.

You wouldn’t be alone. Lots of people have got very comfy and complacent.

Would you mind knitting a maternity wear cape for myself?

The Heineken has the waistline completely expanded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

Unfortunately it has just become very hysterical. And it’s not uncommon to see things mentioned like alcohol ban, curfews, army, water cannons.

It’s actually very sad that people are so afraid that this is what they are prepared to resort to.

I don't go near that thread. The Covid thread for my local area is probably as bad. Life is bleak enough at the moment without being confronted by the sort of hysteria, sanctimoniousness, gloom and general people hatred that these posters display. The dark side of social media, a refuge for some of the most despicable traits in human nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Locking up the over 70s back in March/April/May, depriving them of seeing their grandkids, exercising, driving was in my view the actions of an unhinged individual with way too much power.

Many of these people will spend their remaining years in a state of fear/anxiety they will never recover from...at that age, disrupting their modest daily activities can and will have life altering effects, it actually disturbing that Houlihan is adored by so many...the vast majority of those over 70s should they have been infected would be perfectly fine today.

My parents are in their 70’s both with heart conditions ( even though physically fit, you wouldn’t even know they had ticker issues) but they couldn’t chance getting it. I did all their shopping for them. My mother misses going to her local supermarket to shop and chatting with people, totally fed up. They are really excited about the vaccines coming because they’ll be able to do that again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I haven't ventured in there since very early on. Talk of alcohol bans and water cannons is ridiculous.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Penfailed wrote: »
    I haven't ventured in there since very early on. Talk of alcohol bans and water cannons is ridiculous.

Are you suggesting this is a more balanced articulation of opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Would you mind knitting a maternity wear cape for myself?

The Heineken has the waistline completely expanded

This idea of drinking your way up the priority list for the vaccine isn't that bad an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭HBC08

Lol!
    Here he is,king of the restrictions thread.

growleaves wrote: »

I was talking about "restrictions"

We have not been in "lockdown" for 10 months

A lot of people have followed the restrictions to the best of their abilities. Some have wilfully ignored them, and anyone in that situation should be ashamed of themselves for contributing to the situation we now find ourselves in

Juwwi wrote: »
    This idea of drinking your way up the priority list for the vaccine isn't that bad an idea.

Eating works as well. get your BMI above 40 and you are sorted

HBC08 wrote: »
    Lol!
    Here is is,king of the restrictions thread.

I read that in a famous old bare knuckle boxers voice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭storker

Beasty wrote: »
    I was talking about "restrictions"

We have not been in "lockdown" for 10 months

A lot of people have followed the restrictions to the best of their abilities. Some have wilfully ignored them, and anyone in that situation should be ashamed of themselves for contributing to the situation we now find ourselves in

A situation which was predicted when some people in this thread were encouraging others to do what they liked regardless of restrictions. Well, here we are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement