Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,483 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So are all our hospitals like a scene from an apocalyptic movie ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Would you mind knitting a maternity wear cape for myself?

The Heineken has the waistline completely expanded

Sorry Fintan, I’m not much of a knitter. I could fashion you a jock strap that could double up as a mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

storker wrote: »
    A situation which was predicted when some people on this forum were encouraging others to do what they liked regardless of restrictions. Well, here we are.

Do you think all of Ireland and Europe logged into this thread and then broke the restrictions because FintanMcluskey and I told them to?

A mad social experiment in abrogating human nature has failed, as anyone could have seen it would.

People need to take care of their personal survival. There is more to survival than just following an abstract system for dodging invisible infections. People know this intuitively.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭HBC08

I read that in a famous old bare knuckle boxers voice

As it was meant to be delivered!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Beasty wrote: »

A lot of people have followed the restrictions to the best of their abilities. Some have wilfully ignored them, and anyone in that situation should be ashamed of themselves for contributing to the situation we now find ourselves in
    There has to be a trade off, though. We spent a huge portion of the summer in lockdown while case numbers were in 5-30 for a lot of days. The rest of Europe was much more relaxed around this time but our boys in NPHET wanted to win the gold medal at the Covid Olympics so they could say look at us, aren't we geniuses.

Meanwhile, our beloved HSE and Department of Health did the square route of fcuk all to increase our ICU capacity, any significant staff additions etc. Winter and flu season came as a complete surprise much like when 10,000 doses of the vaccine landed at their feet. No forward planning, no foresight, no leadership.

Just blame.

All Joe Public's fault. That's the narrative they want you to believe, it deflects from their imcompetence, their leadership and ultimately absolves them of any blame now and into the future.

I hate the word brainwashing, but I cannot find a better one to describe how 90% of posters on the main Covid thread behave. No rational thought, indepth analysis of numbers or capacity in our shamefully bad health service. A health service that will have €22 billion of our money pumped into it in 2021.

While some of us are to blame for the numbers, do not be fooled into thinking it's all Joe Public's fault.

They're fooling you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Beasty wrote: »
    Eating works as well. get your BMI above 40 and you are sorted

I shouldn't be joking about it because of the situation we are in but it would be funny to he hear George Lee asking Tony

" Tony what do you think about this new craze that people are trying to increase their BMI by drinking and eating to jump up the que for the vaccine "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭storker

growleaves wrote: »
    Do you think all of Ireland and Europe logged into this thread and then broke the restrictions because FintanMcluskey and I told them to?

Stop and think for a minute. :rolleyes: What I believe is that the same attitude didn't exist only within the virtual confines of Boards and was "out there". I doubt very much that your little echo chamber on Boards is as exclusive as you seem to think.
    A mad social experiment in abrogating human nature has failed, as anyone could have seen it would.

Ah yes, a "social experiment". Northing to do with a reaction to a pandemic then. Did you play the Fallout games, by any chance?

<--- Conspiracy theory forum :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Sorry Fintan, I’m not much of a knitter. I could fashion you a jock strap that could double up as a mask.

Unfortunately if it fits the neither regions it won’t cover my nose

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Unfortunately if it fits the neither regions it won’t cover my nose

Too.small?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,761 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1345442746841133058

We are in a crisis now.

The positivity rate is getting ever closer to Argentina territory.

We need a curfew. It's the logical next step.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1345442746841133058

We are in a crisis now.

No we don’t. Level 5 will take a couple of weeks to yield results. We had over 800 in hospitals and over 160 in ICU last March /April. We didn’t need your fantasy mouth salivating curfew then. Stop trying to wind up other posters.

A curfew is a stupid suggestion, no where is even open.

Did you post this on the main thread? ;)

Micky 32 wrote: »
    No we don’t. Level 5 will take a couple of weeks to yield results. We had over 800 in hospitals and over 160 in ICU last March /April. We didn’t need your fantasy mouth salivating curfew then. Stop trying to wind up other posters.

Well Micky, we wouldn't be in this horrible situation now had certain advice been taken prior to Christmas, would we?

A curfew is indeed required in my opinion.

Feel free to disagree. No need to disparage other posters either.

Well Micky, we wouldn't be in this horrible situation now had certain advice been taken prior to Christmas, would we?

A curfew is indeed required in my opinion.

Feel free to disagree. No need to disparage other posters either.

I guarantee there will be no curfew, i’d bet a 5 figure sum on it. So did we need a curfew last year when we had 160+ in icu? We are in level 5 now. Numbers will get a bit higher , peak and then begin to drop. Stop talking nonsense.

No, we don't & it isn't. The level of paranoia displayed by certain posters here is laughable. Level 5 more than sufficient for the entirety of January, numbers should plateau soon before declining sharply by end of the month. Imagine trying to impose a curfew in sparsely populated rural Ireland. You'd be rather stuck for resources in quick order, another useless bonfire of money heaped on the existing one. You seem to be at odds with the real world in your own little bubble, bleat all you want it won't make a ripple out there. Sorry to break this to you less than gently.

No, we don't & it isn't. The level of paranoia displayed by certain posters here is laughable. Level 5 more than sufficient for the entirety of January, numbers should plateau soon before declining sharply by end of the month. Imagine trying to impose a curfew in sparsely populated rural Ireland. You'd be rather stuck for resources in quick order, another useless bonfire of money heaped on the existing one. You seem to be at odds with the real world in your own little bubble, bleat all you want it won't make a ripple out there. Sorry to break it to you less than gently.

The post was a complete wind up. Especially since myself and others pointed out the hysteria on the other thread about curfews, the army and water cannons.

None of the above were needed to curtail the 160+ we had in icu last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

No traction for this kind of nonsense on the main thread.

A curfew means everyone in at 6 pm.

Who mentioned the army?

There is nothing extreme about it. It's already been implemented in the north (all bit it in a half hearted, ineffective way).

Also I am fully entitled to express my opinion here. If you and others want to disagree go ahead and disagree.

There is no need to disparage or insult other posters though.

;););)

Nope. I travel to my support bubble after 6pm and will continue to do so.

I’m not insulting any posters, maybe you should stop trying to wind up posters.

You never answered my question, did you post that on the main forum?

Nope. I travel to my support bubble after 6pm and will continue to do so.

I’m not insulting any posters, maybe you should stop trying to wind up posters.

You insult me and then accuse me of trying to wind up other posters?

How am I winding up other posters?

I have simply said we need a curfew like in the north.

Am I not allowed my views?

You insult me and then accuse me of trying to wind up other posters?

How am I winding up other posters?

I have simply said we need a curfew like in the north.

Am I not allowed my views?

You never answered any of my questions. We had 160+ in ICU last year along with 800 plus in hospitals. We don’t need a curfew. Level 5 will work. So did we need a curfew then?

Did you post this in the main forum or not?

• Advertisement

You never answered any of my questions. We had 160+ in ICU last year along with 800 plus in hospitals. We don’t need a curfew. Level 5 will work.

Did you post this in the main forum or not?

Why would I?

This is the restrictions thread.

I'm not sure you fully get the gravity of the situation. We are in a much worse place today and unfortunately the numbers in hospital now are just the start of a massive surge.

The situation is very serious.

It's far better to be proactive than reactive.

Why would I?

I'm not sure you fully get the gravity of the situation. We are in a much worse place today and unfortunately the numbers in hospital now are just the start of a massive surge.

The situation is very serious.

It's far better to be proactive than reactive.

Give over. I’m quite aware of the situation. I have followed every guidline and i assure you i’m not in any way responsible for the increase in numbers.

Firstly the numbers we will experience in the coming days are already seeded. So even if we bolted ourselves in our houses the numbers are still going to sky rocket for the coming days and week or so. That horse has bolted. Level 5 is sufficient, we saw massive drop of numbers before we opened up before xmas.

You seem to want to ignore the fact despite how bad it was last March we didn’t need your fantasy curfew.

Give over. I’m quite aware of the situation.

No, I don't think you are.

Why would I?

No it’s not, it’s the relaxations of the restrictions thread.

No, I don't think you are.

Once again a clueless response. My work involves dealing with the public. I have followed all the guidelines including masks , kept my contacts minimum etc. Protected my parents by shopping for them etc, so keep going with your incorrect assumptions. With my common sense I have done everything in my power not to contract this virus and it’s paid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭showpony1

Handy life Kermit home to watch Netflix for the evening from 6pm while those WFHers never get to leave their home after work.

Who mentioned the army?

There is nothing extreme about it. It's already been implemented in the north (all bit it in a half hearted, ineffective way).

Also I am fully entitled to express my opinion here. If you and others want to disagree go ahead and disagree.

There is no need to disparage or insult other posters though.

Even if we try to take you seriously...

What difference do you honestly think a curfew will make? Pubs, retail, restaurants, gyms, churches etc are ALL closed.

It’s the middle of winter and it’s freezing out. Are people really doing something they shouldn’t be after 6pm?

How could it ever be enforced? Are workers allowed out after the curfew? What about people finishing work at 6pm? Are they “allowed” to stop at the shop?

If anything, I can see your curfew backfiring. More people heading to the essential shops during a much shorter window.

Even if we try to take you seriously...

What difference do you honestly think a curfew will make? Pubs, retail, restaurants, gyms, churches etc are ALL closed.

It’s the middle of winter and it’s freezing out. Are people really doing something they shouldn’t be after 6pm?

How could it ever be enforced? Are workers allowed out after the curfew? What about people finishing work at 6pm? Are they “allowed” to stop at the shop?

I can’t help wondering that it’s some sort of fantasy to watch the misery of people locked up. It’s clearly obvious that last year we didn’t need a curfew to reduce the 160 in icu and the 800 in hospital last year, it had to be as rampant then. He failed to address that when i asked him.

showpony1 wrote: »
    Handy life Kermit home to watch Netflix for the evening from 6pm while those WFHers never get to leave their home after work.

Well no, you're drawing conclusions that are not in step with reality of my own view on things or the situation the country faces. I'm happily employed incidentally and i'm also doing a lot of WFH. Why that's relevant I don't know but you seemed to imply otherwise.

It happens constantly on here - that I and others want this or want to see people miserable and all that rubbish. Nothing could be further from the truth.

It is the reality of the problems that confront us that certain things are, unfortunately, required to keep control of a situation that if out of control will have a sad end for a lot of families. Nobody wants that.

We don't have control.

We had control, it was thrown away for the sake of Christmas essentially.

So we are where we are.

These things and choices have consequences and what you are describing is best put as a first world problem. It's not top of the bucket list to my mind of issues. It's an inconvenience.

These inconveniences will save lives in the end.

When this all started I knew straight away the consequences would be far more severe health wise, economically, societally than a lot of people seemed to appreciate at the time, that this was a much longer term and deeper problem.

But I thought as long as the country retained control then it would benefit us in the long run.

That won't be the case now.

So the country has to take measures that most people don't like but for which we have zero choices.

We had choices at the start of December. We don't have them now.

I don't know what other way to put it. Very few can complain now about the place we find ourselves in.

• Advertisement

Well no, you're drawing conclusions that are not in step with reality of my own view on things or the situation the country faces. I'm happily employed incidentally and i'm also doing a lot of WFH. Why that's relevant I don't know but you seemed to imply otherwise.

It happens constantly on here - that I and others want this or want to see people miserable and all that rubbish. Nothing could be further from the truth.

It is the reality of the problems that confront us that certain things are, unfortunately, required to keep control of a situation that if out of control will have a sad end for a lot of families. Nobody wants that.

We don't have control.

We had control, it was thrown away for the sake of Christmas essentially.

So we are where we are.

These things and choices have consequences and what you are describing is best put as a first world problem. It's not top of the bucket list to my mind of issues. It's an inconvenience.

These inconveniences will save lives in the end.

When this all started I knew straight away the consequences would be far more severe health wise, economically, societally than a lot of people seemed to appreciate at the time, that this was a much longer term and deeper problem.

But I thought as long as the country retained control then it would benefit us in the long run.

That won't be the case now.

So the country has to take measures that most people don't like but for which we have zero choices.

We had choices at the start of December. We don't have them now.

I don't know what other way to put it. Very few can complain now about the place we find ourselves in.

I mean, that really is just a load of rambling nonsense...

We’ve been in this situation twice already. Cases will drop off again very soon as Jan is a quiet month.

You seem to be just throwing a strop because of Christmas.

You said that when all this started, you knew it would be far more severe.... You do realise that it has been far LESS severe. Even a completely overstated death toll is just over 2k compared to the 200k that some predicted.

Please do explain as well why you think a curfew will help when everywhere is closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement