Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,795 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

the kelt wrote: »
    Cant they do both? It doesn’t have to be one or the other. There’s a polarisation where people are compelled to blame their neighbour solely for the situation and likewise where others just blame the government, powers that be etc.

Take responsibility for their own actions and point out government mistakes both is which are reasons for an escalation situation

I agree.

I was pointing out that people use excuses rather than step up to the plate themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The E in NPHET is for emergency

That was exactly my point, he is running the emergency, not the HSE.

I would find it absolutely astounding if Customers were spreading the virus amongst themselves over the month and absolutely no staff members ending up getting it.

These retail theories have absolutely zilch credibility.

It's much easier to enforce hand washing and masks amongst employees though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Lundstram wrote: »
    In that case, put them all on PUP. They wouldn't be long going back then. Easy to shout from the roof tops while getting full pay to sit on their arses at home.

Well yeah if we are simply internet edgelording our way through what will be a tough time.

Or in reality, sending a million indoors with ineffective contact tracing and testing will be make a bad situation worse.

We are been told and so have the unions that the key to keeping schools open is effective tracing and low transmission in the community.

That boat has sailed, if you have kids don't wait for the government to be fumbling around waiting until the last minute to make a decision on schools.

Or just fingers in the ears and loud noises, which ever you prefer.

Graham wrote: »
    You appear to be confused as to the purpose of a lockdown.

It is not a 'solution'. It was never proposed as a 'solution'.

It is a way of keeping hospitalisations at a level which our health services can cope with.

We seem to stay in lockdown or enter lockdown even with tiny numbers in hospitals.

And those tiny numbers include people who just happened to test positive while already in hospital.

I doubt the country will ever open again if this is the criteria for lockdown. People will still catch Covid and flu even with vaccines. And the health service will be overwhelmed as it is every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,319 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Looking like close to zero is the number our hospitals can cope with ...

Around 5 million people in the country and our hospitals are under pressure with 500 people in them despite billions and billions wasted year on year.

Sad sad story.

Easier to go L5 restrictions, close thousands of businesses and put hundreds of thousands of jobs at risk than actually sort out our dysfunctional health service.

The irony of course is that it's pretty obvious a substantial proportion of the electorate are too dumb to figure this out.

They'll probably build a statue of St. Tony at the end of this.

Out grandchildren will be still be paying back the cost of this mismanagement.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

Solar2021 wrote: »
    Hire clowns, get a circus

While our EU overlords we're haggling on prices

Israel paid asking price and bought up a massive supply

US and UK stepped in then and we got the leftovers

The EU were too nice about it. As the wealthiest purchaser they should have hoovered up the supply but alas they decided not to

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Does anyone have a number of actual hospital admissions in the last week?

I mean actually admitted with covid complications.

People who are already in hospital for some other reason and managed to contract covid should not be added to hospitalisations

It’s just more number manipulation.

Admissions only but I doubt we can get this figure as it’s not being reported that way.

Is there an actual number it has to get to before we cease the pandemic denial?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭47akak

are you just making up figures or do you have anything to support that?

He's not making it up but like a lot of discussion here it's just a fundamental lack of ability to follow basic elements of a story. What comes after is just a pile of nonsense.

There was a story this week that 2/3 DEATHS in December are cases where infections originated in a nursing home / hospital setting. That's almost certainly what he's referring to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Solar2021

The EU were too nice about it. As the wealthiest purchaser they should have hoovered up the supply but alas they decided not to

Exactly

The whole pandemic has shown how weak we have become in the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Because people were wrong about how dangerous Covid is.

We have less than 50 deaths under the age of 65 in half a year now.

why are you only counting people under 65?

Boggles wrote: »
    Is there an actual number it has to get to before we cease the pandemic denial?

Just the number of actual admissions not the addition of already hospitalised patients to the reported numbers.

All those who contract it while in hospital are already in hospital so shouldn’t be added to covid hospitalised numbers.

Don’t be reporting to suit the narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Guess where Professor Lockdown got his ideas ... China’s police state
    Modern China is a horrible place, cruel, ruthless and unembarrassed. But for some reason SAGE came to like Peking’s Covid strategy. Ferguson told The Times that ‘as the data accrued it became clear it was an effective policy’.

I’d be interested to know how the SAGE geniuses evaluated data from this police state, which lacks a free press or independent universities.

Even so, they hesitated. As Ferguson says: ‘It’s a Communist one-party state, we said. We couldn’t get away with it in Europe, we thought.’

Aren’t those words ‘we couldn’t get away with it’ interesting? Is this the way in which public servants in a free country think of the normal limits on what they can do? I can only hope not.

But Ferguson and his friends then saw what happened in Italy, where a formerly free country reached for the weapons of repression and mass house arrest. And the rule of fear was so great that they got away with it. So we were next. Or, as Ferguson puts it: ‘And then Italy did it. And we realised we could.’

They could. But they did not have to. They chose the Chinese way. And so they ‘got away with’ beginning a disaster which still continues. There is still no evidence that any of this Chinese-inspired repression has worked.

Every country that has locked down has failed to control the disease and keeps doing the same thing over and over again in the hope of getting a different result.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Looking like close to zero is the number our hospitals can cope with ...

Around 5 million people in the country and our hospitals are under pressure with 500 people in them despite billions and billions wasted year on year.

Sad sad story.

Story is an apt description.

Fairy story more so.

Just the number of actual admissions not the addition of already hospitalised patients to the reported numbers.

All those who contract it while in hospital are already in hospital so shouldn’t be added to covid hospitalised numbers.

Sure if they are in hospital with Covid why not? :confused:

It's one of the last cohort we want to get infected as if they are unwell enough to be all ready hospital Covid isn't going to improve their situation is it?

I mean actually admitted with covid complications.

People who are already in hospital for some other reason and managed to contract covid should not be added to hospitalisations

It’s just more number manipulation.

Admissions only but I doubt we can get this figure as it’s not being reported that way.

In the week to the 26th there were 57 cases associated with acute hospital clusters, including staff. The report is published weekly if you would bother looking instead of blindly claiming manipulation without evidence

Story is an apt description.

Fairy story more so.

Don’t believe the truth if ya don’t like...

It’s the truth waste waste waste and mismanagement.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Don’t believe the truth if ya don’t like...

It’s the truth waste waste waste and mismanagement.

You're confusing half-truth for truth.

Regardless, our hospitals will not be able to cope if we don't get things back under some sort of control pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Comments like this sound so unbelievably idiotic, like truly plain stupid.

Narrative wah. Farcical wah wah. Doctor Doom wah wah wah.

This trite drivel repeated ad nauseam adds nothing to any conversation.

We’re looking at up to, or more than, 50 hospitalisations per day for the next few weeks. And yes, that’s NEWLY HOSPITALISED CASES, NO SCAM, NO MASSAGING NUMBERS, NO HOAX.

I believe the system will crash to the point where triage will be brutal.

See what you think of that when it comes.

• Advertisement

If the hospital is full, does it matter to the people being turned away what percentage of patients arrived with covid symptoms?

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Hopefully by the 31st we will see some easing of the restrictions, maybe Level 3 or something. Something aligned with the progress of the vaccinations (which really should be showing progress after 28 days)
    The positive tests are what they are and just demonstrate the stupidity of people over christmas... they'll improve very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,679 ✭✭✭storker

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I do laugh at these BS posts. It’s akin to the other BS i saw posted months back like “ there won’t be a vaccine” “ vaccines are a pipedream” vaccines are a carrot on a stick” bollix.

Funnily enough I remember posts like these, but they came from the open-everything-up-now lobby aka the let-'er-rip brigade, e.g. "there's no point in lockdowns or restrictions because there will never be a vaccine" and also "there won't be a second wave". Always very confidently delivered with no room for doubt. Ah, the good old Facebook/Twitter/Boards/Trump schools of medicine. Always good for a laugh...makes you wonder why they don't put it to an X-Factor-style vote when deciding public health policy.

Easier to go L5 restrictions, close thousands of businesses and put hundreds of thousands of jobs at risk than actually sort out our dysfunctional health service.

The irony of course is that it's pretty obvious a substantial proportion of the electorate are too dumb to figure this out.

They'll probably build a statue of St. Tony at the end of this.

Out grandchildren will be still be paying back the cost of this mismanagement.

Easier for a government to put jobs at risk?

Do you even read your own posts?

Gimme 1 credible reason why the government would favour lockdown over some medical alternative?

Comments like this sound so unbelievably idiotic, like truly plain stupid.

Narrative wah. Farcical wah wah. Doctor Doom wah wah wah.

This trite drivel repeated ad nauseam adds nothing to any conversation.

We’re looking at up to, or more than, 50 hospitalisations per day for the next few weeks. And yes, that’s NEWLY HOSPITALISED CASES, NO SCAM, NO MASSAGING NUMBERS, NO HOAX.

I believe the system will crash to the point where triage will be brutal.

See what you think of that when it comes.

Are you sure now that 50 new patients will be admitted through the entrance doors of the hospitals ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,377 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Hopefully by the 31st we will see some easing of the restrictions, maybe Level 3 or something. Something aligned with the progress of the vaccinations (which really should be showing progress after 28 days)
    The positive tests are what they are and just demonstrate the stupidity of people over christmas... they'll improve very quickly

The time between vaccination shots is 3 weeks (unless they decide to extend that, God help us), and I've heard at least one expert (Luke O Neill I think but not 100% sure) say that following the second jab it's another week before full immunity is achieved.

So given the slow start to the vaccine rollout, hoping for substantial progress by 31st January would seem very optimistic to me....

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    The time between vaccination shots is 3 weeks (unless they decide to extend that, God help us), and I've heard at least one expert (Luke O Neill I think but not 100% sure) say that following the second jab it's another week before full immunity is achieved.

So given the slow start to the vaccine rollout, hoping for substantial progress by 31st January would seem very optimistic to me....

Agreed, although I'm not 100% reliant on the vaccine being the only reason the restrictions are eased.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,377 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Agreed, although I'm not 100% reliant on the vaccine being the only reason the restrictions are eased.

If it wasn't for the vaccine, I'd have called it wildly optimistic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Today, 62 people in ICU is still less than 50% of April’s peak, and 680 in hospital is still less than 80% of April’s peak.

The situation is so grave and dangerous, they waited 3 days to start vaccinating.

Hysteria overload.

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    If it wasn't for the vaccine, I'd have called it wildly optimistic!

Its the combination of a few things and in fairness there needs to be at least some positivity around.... I hear and read very little of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement