Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Great point. We should do the opposite - praise HSE?

Sure why not. Its not like there are more pandemics coming down the road. Lets just start reducing our ICU beds what the hell why not? Doesnt matter like. You are suggesting we shouldnt complain. We probably shouldnt even discuss it? Ah shure, we are Irish, shi*e everywhere.

You know right well I wasn't suggesting that we shouldn't complain. People are complaining about the HSE and using their failings as an excuse not to follow restrictions. The healthcare service needs to be improved and the healthcare should of course be under scrutiny, but that shouldn't detract from the need to adhere to government guidelines.
    Wasn’t there a big recruitment drive for healthcare staff working abroad to come home, only for no positions to be made available??

When exactly was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

brisan wrote: »

The economic fallout from this and a possible no deal Brexit will be disastrous
    The Governor of the Central Bank in England has warned Boris Johnson that the fallout from a no deal Brexit would be worse economically than Covid

We have taken no advantage of the fact we have Europe’s youngest population when implementing policies to fight a disease that primarily targets the elderly.

Europe’s longest and strictest lockdown is infuriatingly justified by the fact that Ireland did not witness scenes like happened in Lombardy.

The mechanics of the virus and Ireland’s population profile meant what happened in northern Italy simply could not happen here on the same magnitude due to the fact there wasn’t enough old people terminally ill on any day in Ireland. About 100 die each day in Spring in Ireland with about 1500+ in Italy.

Anyway the point I’m making is that the economic catastrophe looming in the next few weeks will form part of a double whammy that will force a lot of folk to see the wood from the trees rather swiftly, in a country that completely exaggerated the effect Covid could have

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Are the restrictions being lifted from midnight on Monday??
    If so will all businesses that are allowed open be open on Tuesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Reading that article about Luke O’Neill and his suggestion that we all have to bring our own tableware and grandad has to sit at the window reminds me of that time I think Claire Byrne (who else?) had a barber on her show with a telephone box style contraption with little shutters to open and close that we would all have to sit in to get our hair cut. Remember that?! It’s like these ****ing people are in competition to come up with the most ludicrous ridiculous outlandish solutions to problems that don’t even exist. Looking back at all this in 5/10 years time will be amazing to say the least.

The 5 level plan is a joke. We only have 2 levels in Ireland. Strict lockdown and slightly less strict lockdown.

In December, we’ll move to slightly less strict lockdown as the government fear losing the people.

Leo is already essentially confirming more lockdown in Jan. I suspect this will last right through Feb as well.

We may move to slightly less strict lockdown in March for a few weeks. I won’t be surprised at all if this nonsense carries on for most of next year.

We have tiny numbers of deaths, ICU and hospitalisations as it is and we are reluctantly leaving lockdown.

The majority of the country will need to be vaccinated and they’ll still be looking for excuses to stay locked down.

I can only hope everybody involved suffers majorly in the next election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

My grandfather (who has lived alone for the past 20 years when my grandmother passed away) is 88 years old and he has been over at our house almost daily for dinner for months now. What is the point of him isolating and being alone? how many more years has he got being healthy? he has thankfully surpassed the average life expectancy.

He has had a great life, and he has said he is going to spend his remaining time with his family and not cooked up inside being alone.

We are of course taking the sensible precautions when around him, but we aren't going to speak to him through a glass window!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

You are a melt. Jobs+livelihoods on the line yet for some reason a place that primarily serves drink but also food is now permitted to open once they serve a meal to X amount. Its nonsensical. You cannot open one and not the other

Yes, you can. It's been done before. 'Wet' pubs in the north have been open for 12 days since March. We're not alone in making these decisions.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

RobitTV wrote: »
    My grandfather (who has lived alone for the past 20 years when my grandmother passed away) is 88 years old and he has been over at our house almost daily for dinner for months now. What is the point of him isolating and being alone? how many more years has he got being healthy? he has thankfully surpassed the average life expectancy.

He has had a great life, and he has said he is going to spend his remaining time with his family and not cooked up inside being alone.

We are of course taking the sensible precautions when around him, but we aren't going to speak to him through a glass window!

My 81 yr old mother says she is existing not living
    Her normal routine would be
    Mass every morning
    Then tea and a scone after mass with women from mass
    Potter around the shops till 1 pm and home for lunch and a bit of housework
    Senior citizens club from 2-5 twice a week
    Choir practice once a week and choir Sat night
    Two trip to the states on her own every year to se her daughters
    2 youngest grandkids would stay with her at least one Fri-Sat night a month

ALL gone ,as she says she is existing not living

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Redriddick wrote: »
    Are the restrictions being lifted from midnight on Monday??
    If so will all businesses that are allowed open be open on Tuesday?

The ditherers haven’t announced it yet- god forbid they’d grow a backbone and do something constructive for once. Delay delay for as long as possible to appease the Covid Mob

Mass every morning

I'm so sorry to hear that :( she had such a active lifestyle before covid.

It's people like your mother I'm so concerned for moving forward. The government and hysterical people like Holohan have frightened the elderly to the core.

Will life be normal for them ever again? it's just disgusting :(

• Advertisement

Mass every morning

God bless her- this ****e is literally killing older people. Taking away the things they have lived for. Absolutely sickening. I’m sure the Covid moralisers will be along any minute to lecture us all how it’s “for her own good etc”- pass me the sick bucket

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    God bless her- this ****e is literally killing older people. Taking away the things they have lived for. Absolutely sickening. I’m sure the Covid moralisers will be along any minute to lecture us all how it’s “for her own good etc”- pass me the sick bucket

100% agreed - best comment of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

We have taken no advantage of the fact we have Europe’s youngest population when implementing policies to fight a disease that primarily targets the elderly.

We also have the worst health service in the EU except for a couple of poor Eastern member states.

I've been on Boards since February 2009 and if you told me that in 11 years time, I would be on here discussing the right to freedom of movement, freedom of choice, individual freedom, the right to see your family and travel. I would of laughed and laughed.

We also have the worst health service in the EU except for a couple of poor Eastern member states.

And one of the most expensive to boot!

I've been on Boards since February 2009 and if you told me that in 11 years time, I would be on here discussing the right to freedom of movement, freedom of choice, individual freedom, the right to see your family and travel. I would of laughed and laughed.

And what items you’re “allowed” purchase in certain stores. Sweet jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

One can understand how things like the Catholic Church domination of Irish society occurred.

Scary how gullible people are and people who you wouldnt expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭billyhead

True. I know older people like this. They just want to live life to the fullest with whatever time they have left but these restrictions are screwing up everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

Don’t share that gravy you murderer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

I had to do a click and collect in Dunnes today
    Clothes section cordoned off but kitchenware and Christmas decorations seemed to be open
    Two or three people socially distanced at a till so I assume they were buying something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Well that's not true. Beaumont are doing blood testing. Warfarin and gp referral. Currently a 2 week waiting list as far as I can remember.

Peamount stopped doing bloods in March. Have had to use James' since then and the waiting list is a bit over a month to get it done there.

So it is partly true.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭seamusk84

So no reopening of restaurants until the 7th/8th?

Does that also mean no outdoor dining for 15 people max from the 1st also?

This is the level of Hysteria things like Tony's fear'o'meter have brought out in people.
    According to this elderly listener from up North the troubles were much better than today because while you might have got shot or blown up, at least you didn't get 'the Covid'

https://twitter.com/shockproofbeats/status/1330246652431626241

I heard the whole interview live. She's on the Mark Patterson show every now and again. She's a character. If you'd heard the whole interview, she's not one bit scared of Covid.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Most cases are not cases.

People who have to be tested in order to determine if they have a virus are not a 'case'.

This thread just keeps on giving.

Penfailed wrote: »

Giving the truth yes

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭mikekerry

And they say its for protecting the vulnerable.
    Give me a break if they were in any way concerned about the vulnerable they wouldn't be letting people die on their own with no visitors in hospitals and they wouldn't be left to live their last days in loneliness like the above example.

We have managed covid spectacularly. Lets be honest, what other country has closed its bars for 10 months +?

The north...but apparently it's not all about the bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

The 5 level plan is a joke. We only have 2 levels in Ireland. Strict lockdown and slightly less strict lockdown.

In December, we’ll move to slightly less strict lockdown as the government fear losing the people.

Leo is already essentially confirming more lockdown in Jan. I suspect this will last right through Feb as well.

We may move to slightly less strict lockdown in March for a few weeks. I won’t be surprised at all if this nonsense carries on for most of next year.

We have tiny numbers of deaths, ICU and hospitalisations as it is and we are reluctantly leaving lockdown.

The majority of the country will need to be vaccinated and they’ll still be looking for excuses to stay locked down.

I can only hope everybody involved suffers majorly in the next election.

Unless we're in and out of lockdowns for 5 years the Irish will have forgotten by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Reading that article about Luke O’Neill and his suggestion that we all have to bring our own tableware and grandad has to sit at the window reminds me of that time I think Claire Byrne (who else?) had a barber on her show with a telephone box style contraption with little shutters to open and close that we would all have to sit in to get our hair cut. Remember that?! It’s like these ****ing people are in competition to come up with the most ludicrous ridiculous outlandish solutions to problems that don’t even exist. Looking back at all this in 5/10 years time will be amazing to say the least.

Even just look back to the stuff that was coming out of China in March. Pictures and videos of people dropping dead in the street. Full hazmat suits out spraying down streets. And wasn't there a beach that was bleached in Spain in April? It's all been so ****ing bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Penfailed wrote: »

So please tell us since when and why someone who is completely healthy but has passed or failed (not sure) a test is a 'case'? As far as I know a 'case' used to be someone who is sick and needs treatment, no?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement