Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Graham wrote: »
    You appear to be confused as to the purpose of a lockdown.

It is not a 'solution'. It was never proposed as a 'solution'.

It is a way of keeping hospitalisations at a level which our health services can cope with.

The hospitals haven't had such a quiet winter in a long long time. No trolley crisis, numbers are down, and the hospitals seem to be managing just fine. The restrictions should be tweaked to match what's actually happening and a full lockdown should only be used in the absolute worst case scenario. We are very quick to go in to lockdown and very slow to come out of them.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

JRant wrote: »
    hospitals seem to be managing just fine.

Just fine.

CUH urges patients to contact GP services rather than A&E

• Registered Users Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Boggles wrote: »

That's the way it should be, free A+E to some of the public means they don't bother with their GP, especially at off peak hours.

It's an alarmist headline but routine main content.

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    That's the way it should be, free A+E to some of the public means they don't bother with their GP, especially at off peak hours.

Routine that a major hospital tells people not to go there?

Okay so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How is full lockdown different from Level 5?

• Advertisement

Routine that a major hospital tells people not to go there?

Okay so.

Hospital management has requested that, where appropriate, the public contact their GP/South Doc in the first instance and explore all other options available to them prior to attending the Emergency Department if their needs are not urgent," the statement added.

A+E should be for emergencies. Pretty clear from the article, A+E don't want patients presenting themselves unless an out of hours service or GP isn't already appropriate to the situation. A+E are not turning patients away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Boggles in emergency go to the hospital otherwise 1st port of call should be your GP...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 124 ✭✭Treseemme.

Gp will send them to a+e anyhow

Got sent to a+e with a scratch on my head ,. ridiculous

Nurse treated it and wanted.to know what i was doing there

Hospital management has requested that, where appropriate, the public contact their GP/South Doc in the first instance and explore all other options available to them prior to attending the Emergency Department if their needs are not urgent," the statement added.

A+E should be for emergencies. Pretty clear from the article, A+E don't want patients presenting themselves unless an out of hours service or GP isn't already appropriate to the situation.

You left out this bit. :confused:
    For urgent care, people are asked to Mercy Urgent Care Centre, St Mary’s Health Campus in Gurranabraher. (Opening hrs. 8:00am to 6.00pm -

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

A+E should be for emergencies. Pretty clear from the article, A+E don't want patients presenting themselves unless an out of hours service or GP isn't already appropriate to the situation. A+E are not turning patients away.

You missed this bit

Cork University Hospital is urging patients to contact out-of-hours GP services rather than using the emergency department.

The hospital said it was “exceptionally busy” today due to a large number of very ill patients.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Because people were wrong about how dangerous Covid is.

We have less than 50 deaths under the age of 65 in half a year now.

And how many under 65’s do you have in your stats book that would be dead but for the intervention of ICU? I personally know two. I’m guessing there were more than the two I know.

Out of hours is next to useless as well

I have spent a whole night in hospital with a child

A nurse arrives the next morning and carries out a simple procedure and discharged

You left out this bit. :confused:

Granted, I missed that bit (they are clearly under pressure) but the article is still fairly routine, first port of call is your GP unless you need urgent care.

There are a lot of people out there that treat A+E as a GP and that should stop, now and post-Covid.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

JRant wrote: »
    The hospitals haven't had such a quiet winter in a long long time. No trolley crisis, numbers are down, and the hospitals seem to be managing just fine.

Our hospitals are full, we already have patients on trolleys and we're looking at the spread of a pandemic that has caused hospital admissions to double in a week.

I assume you understand how exponential growth works if doubling every 7 days continued.

So is there somewhere where we can see how many vaccines are done a day?

Or are we not reporting on that?

Granted, I missed that bit (they are clearly under pressure) but the article is still fairly routine, first port of call is your GP unless you need urgent care.

There are a lot of people out there that treat A+E as a GP and that should stop, now and post-Covid.

Nope. Nothing "routine" about a major hospital asking people not to go there, non urgent or urgent care.

Nope. Nothing "routine" about a major hospital asking people not to go there, non urgent or urgent care.

The same happened last year. Lots were in hospital with flu and there was an appeal on radio to stay away unless you really needed to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,319 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The daily vaccinations should be reported on with the same level of fervour as the daily cases.

Might be interesting to see the lads who've spent 9 months finger-wagging Joe Public have to start justifying their own areas of responsibility.

This is Ireland though so we won't hold our breaths.

There's a hub with the information or so stephen donnelly said

The same happened last year. Lots were in hospital with flu and there was an appeal on radio to stay away unless you really needed to go.

Appeal is different now, stay away and go somewhere else.

Also I'm pretty sure over 100 nurses last year were not out because of the Flu in CUH.

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1345737619322380288

Again, ignoring and denying the pandemic is not an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Graham wrote: »
    Our hospitals are full, we already have patients on trolleys and we're looking at the spread of a pandemic that has caused hospital admissions to double in a week.

I assume you understand how exponential growth works if doubling every 7 days continued.

Our hospitals always have people on trolleys. If that a reason to lockdown then sleep should have been locked down every winter over the past decade.

I sure do understand exponentials, enough to know that the slope of an exponential is not constant and will level out in a relatively quick time. In much the same way exponential decay is also a thing I'm sure you are aware of.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 38,483 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Where are all the pictures/videos of the chaotic irish hospitals ?

All these numbers and facts are not telling the true story

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Treseemme. wrote: »
    There's a hub with the information or so stephen donnelly said

Donnelly said he would talk to the HSE about publishing the information here

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

It's not there yet.

PTH2009 wrote: »

"numbers and facts" are not telling the story?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Do you want to see people dying on the floors or in the car parks outside, before the Irish public on a whole react and behaviour as necessary - because if your waiting for that - then it will be months of grimness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭hynesie08

"numbers and facts" are not telling the story?

:pac:

Same lad who called science "waffle"......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

froog wrote: »
    how do you think those outbreaks started fintan? how did covid get in there. take your time.

Initially, by the HSE moving convalescing patients out of hospital, into nursing homes, without testing them for Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,319 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Hospitals are very quiet compared with 3 years ago.

Even this time last year they were busier.

Everything is being viewed through the prism of Covid though so these realities are not being reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

A curfew means everyone in at 6 pm.

Who mentioned the army?

There is nothing extreme about it. It's already been implemented in the north (all bit it in a half hearted, ineffective way).

Also I am fully entitled to express my opinion here. If you and others want to disagree go ahead and disagree.

There is no need to disparage or insult other posters though.

Does Covid come out at 6pm? What time in the morning does it go back in?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Does Covid come out at 6pm? What time in the morning does it go back in?
    It's just incoherent rambling nonsense. Imagine implementing curfews in a country where there's 1,500 people for every Garda. These people don't think beyond the hysterical headlines. Typing sh1te onto a keyboard and pressing send is as far as their thought process goes.

I swear most of the lockdown lovers barely left the house even prior to Covid19. They just love the misery and solitude, having everyone on their level makes them feel better about themselves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement