Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

First wave reading...;)

Over 65s account for almost 92% of confirmed deaths

The CSO’s analysis of the confirmed deaths has found that COVID-19 has had the greatest impact on people aged 65 or over. Almost 92% of confirmed deaths occurred within this age group in the period from 11 March 2020 up to 15 May 2020. The data also shows that in the 0-44 age cohort there were 17 deaths.

This older age group also accounted for more than 26% of all confirmed cases of the virus. Further analysis found that 14% of all confirmed cases are people aged 80+, despite only making up 3% of the population.

In almost 88% of deaths there was an underlying condition, the median age of these deaths was 83, the same as that for all deaths. This compares to the median age of 48 for all those with a confirmed case of the virus.

The data, which is based on the date of death, shows that there were 1,287 confirmed and 231 suspected deaths due to COVID-19 in since the first recorded death on 11 March up to the week ending 15 May 2020. There were 23,900 confirmed cases since the first recorded case on 28 February 2020.

Looking at weekly breakdowns of deaths and cases in Tables 2 and 3, the highest amount of deaths occurred during the week ending 17 April 2020 when 270 people lost their lives. It has since fallen to 65 deaths for the week ending 15 May 2020, the lowest since the end of March.

The peak number of confirmed cases also occurred during the week ending 17 April 2020 when 6,049 people were diagnosed with the virus. It has since fallen to 1,165 for the week ending 15 May 2020.

More men have been confirmed dead from COVID -19 than women (670 deaths compared to 617) even though more women were diagnosed as a confirmed case than men (13,694 women compared to 10,170 men).

The weekly trends also allow us to see how the disease has developed over the months. Since early April, more women have been infected than men and now 57% of all cases are women, despite women making up 51% of the population.

Almost 65% of all cases occurred within the 25 and 64 age group, 94 of whom have died. Despite making up 33% of the population only 9% of confirmed cases are in the 0-24 age group but this percentage has been rising since early April.

Almost half of all confirmed cases in Dublin
    There have been 1,000 deaths in the Dublin and Leinster regions, 77% of all confirmed deaths. The Dublin region also makes up 49% of all confirmed cases but this has fallen from 58% in early March as cases in Ulster and Leinster (excluding Dublin) have increased.

The percentage of deaths that relate to Clusters (2 or more cases in the same location and time) has steadily increased since early April to now make up 68% of all deaths. The median age of these deaths was 85.

It also shows that 7,603 health care workers had a confirmed case of COVID-19 during this period.

The CSO have also this week published new tables which give further detail of COVID deaths and cases. Table 4 includes a breakdown by social conditions and other characteristics based on the Electoral Division that the infected person lives in. Table 5 includes Mortality and confirmed case standardised rates by area of deprivation, geographic region and disability status.

For further COVID-19 related information go to the CSO COVID-19 Information Hub

Show Table: Table 1 Profile of COVID-19 Deaths and Cases up to and including Friday May 15 2020

Show Table: Table 2 & Table 2A Weekly Profile of COVID-19 Confirmed Deaths 1,3

Show Table: Table 3 & Table 3A Weekly Profile of COVID-19 Confirmed Cases

Show Table: Table 4 & 4A Weekly Electoral Division (ED) Analysis of Confirmed Covid-19 Cases

Show Table: Table 5: COVID-19 Mortality and confirmed incident standardised rates as of May 6th

Related Content
    StatBank tables
    Related releases
    International reference
    See also
    Epidemiology of COVID-19 in Ireland - daily reports from Health Protection Surveillance Centre
    Further Information
    Contact
    E-mail: sscu@cso.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Lundstram wrote: »
    It's just incoherent rambling nonsense. Imagine implementing curfews in a country where there's 1,500 people for every Garda. These people don't think beyond the hysterical headlines. Typing sh1te onto a keyboard and pressing send is as far as their thought process goes.

I swear most of the lockdown lovers barely left the house even prior to Covid19. They just love the misery and solitude, having everyone on their level makes them feel better about themselves.
    Ffs, talk about incoherent rambling nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

It's just incoherent rambling nonsense. Imagine implementing curfews in a country where there's 1,500 people for every Garda. These people don't think beyond the hysterical headlines. Typing sh1te onto a keyboard and pressing send is as far as their thought process goes.

I swear most of the lockdown lovers barely left the house even prior to Covid19. They just love the misery and solitude, having everyone on their level makes them feel better about themselves.

746850286-PotKettleBlack.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Eh it's not like 1500 people are.gonna go on a mad one and require Garda intervention.

If there was a 6pm curfew I (and I'd say most people) would comply and not need a Garda to intervene.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

rusty cole wrote: »
    First wave reading...;)

Over 65s account for almost 92% of confirmed deaths

Why the smiley face?

Beyond Crass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,761 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There seems to be a Hollywood version of a curfew in some people's minds.

It wouldn't be like that. People would simply be asked to remain at home.

This lessens the job of the gardai going around breaking up gatherings and dealing with other issues or "covidiots"..

Aside from closing schools it's the next step in the ladder already implemented in the north.

It's not the extreme outlandish thing some seem to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭Penfailed

A curfew means everyone in at 6 pm.

Who mentioned the army?

There is nothing extreme about it. It's already been implemented in the north (all bit it in a half hearted, ineffective way).

Also I am fully entitled to express my opinion here. If you and others want to disagree go ahead and disagree.

There is no need to disparage or insult other posters though.

No need for a curfew. Sure, there's nowhere to go. It hasn't been implemented in the north by the way.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Ride, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,761 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Penfailed wrote: »
    No need for a curfew. Sure, there's nowhere to go. It hasn't been implemented in the north by the way.

Erm
    For the last seven days Northern Ireland has been operating with a curfew between 8pm to 6am, with all essential and takeaways services having to close their doors before 8pm.

LLMMLL wrote: »
    If there was a 6pm curfew I (and I'd say most people) would comply and not need a Garda to intervene.

What is the curfew going to achieve? The number of cases went down during the summer months, when people were out and about in the evenings. People were in their homes after 6pm during the Nov/Dec lockdown, and that lockdown was a failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Donnelly said he would talk to the HSE about publishing the information here

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/

It's not there yet.

One glance at your links opening page,

Total Deaths (HPSC)

includes probable and possible

"includes probable and possible" in my mind marks these figures as as purely fictional.

Know three people on that list, each elderly and in very advanced stage of terminal illness'. Family had already been called before they were conveniently labeled as testing positive for Covid. So for the moment they are still covid deaths.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

tara2k wrote: »
    What is the curfew going to achieve? The number of cases went down during the summer months, when people were out and about in the evenings. People were in their homes after 6pm during the Nov/Dec lockdown, and that lockdown was a failure.

Absolutely nothing, there’s just a cohort of people in this country who want every restriction under the sun imposed - even the army on the streets ffs :rolleyes: . There’s a few people like this in my group of friends who will be getting a swift kick in the bollix when I see them after this is all over for being hysterical doom and misery merchants.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Nearly 5000 cases today. I wonder at what point do we reach our max testing capacity?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

There seems to be a Hollywood version of a curfew in some people's minds.

It wouldn't be like that. People would simply be asked to remain at home.

This lessens the job of the gardai going around breaking up gatherings and dealing with other issues or "covidiots"..

Aside from closing schools it's the next step in the ladder already implemented in the north.

It's not the extreme outlandish thing some seem to think.

They've already asked people to stay at home. A curfew would give additional powers to AGS to fine/arrest people for having the temerity to leave their own homes after a certain hour. It certainly is an extreme step.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

tara2k wrote: »

I'm not necessarily supporting a curfew. Just think the idea that it's unenforceable is silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The high numbers are an indication of how many would have had it during March and April but the testing wasn’t as widespread.

The numbers will tail off and the hospital numbers will stabilise quite quickly.

Some posters will end up with egg on face for the suggestions being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

So now being mentioned in the media is the possibility of not even testing those with symptoms due to the high numbers of cases.

Correct me if I’m wrong but if your going to test for a virus etc it should be done to a set criteria always or the number of cases are irrelevant if the goalposts are constantly moving.

We widened the testing criteria when numbers were low to get more cases identified and now they want to stop testing because there’s too many ...

A wholesale farce of a situation.

There are calls for stopping cake production on the main thread. No cake!! Has it come to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

So now being mentioned in the media is the possibility of not even testing those with symptoms due to the high numbers of cases.

Correct me if I’m wrong but if your going to test for a virus etc it should be done to a set criteria always or the number of cases are irrelevant if the goalposts are constantly moving.

We widened the testing criteria when numbers were low to get more cases identified and now they want to stop testing because there’s too many ...

A wholesale farce of a situation.
    What media?. If you’re not testing those with symptoms then who do you test?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

JRant wrote: »
    Our hospitals always have people on trolleys. If that a reason to lockdown then sleep should have been locked down every winter over the past decade.

We didn't have a pandemic every winter over the past decade.
    JRant wrote: »
    I sure do understand exponentials, enough to know that the slope of an exponential is not constant and will level out in a relatively quick time. In much the same way exponential decay is also a thing I'm sure you are aware of.

Correct, the slope increases exponentially unless something stops it.

As the current data clearly demonstrates cases are still increasing exponentially you might understand the concerns around hospital capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

emeldc wrote: »
    What media?. If you’re not testing those with symptoms then who do you test?

Irish Independent but again that’s not a trustworthy outlet I know.

It’s the easiest way to get the numbers down whilst leaving schools open and continue on with a half arsed level 5.

We await further wonderful developments from our experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Graham wrote: »

As the current data clearly demonstrates cases are still increasing exponentially you might understand the concerns around hospital capacity.

I'm tired of people pretending we don't have capacity issues every year...it's an ongoing debacle for as long as anyone can remember....pandemic or no pandemic, we have no flu virus this year so it shouldn't take too much to keep on top of, the issue I suspect is staffing...

The ICU and hospitisation rates were virtually stable for the last 5 months through the varying lockdown levels...the were stable largely because it was mostly people in hospital or ICUs already who then tested positive for the virus....how else can it be explained?

Our hospitals have always been lethal for viruses I'd imagine this crisis and the incessant reporting has only made the numbers much worse reading!!!

If we tested as many citizens for STDs we'd have another "crisis" on our hands...if the media reported on it round the clock I can't imagine what certain posters on here would be suggesting we do!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

And we have Varadkar hinting at further restrictions! You'd wonder how much further they'll push the population and it's very hard to have any faith in their getting it right given their performance to date. Earlier today I posted the below on another thread in reply to a post, but I feel it's more relevant on this thread as everything comes down to restrictions. How much, how little, how well or in Ireland's case, how badly they've been managed.

We're all quick to point the finger of blame. And we're all guilty of unfairness in our blame game. And granted no jurisdiction has got this unprecedented [in modern times] challenge spot on. But you elect political leaders to lead. And you really need them to lead you properly in a crisis. And I really feel that our leaders, the Govt and our modern day gods, the Media, have let us down in this crisis. It's been non stop hysteria and scare mongering for the past 10 months. Non stop hyperbole, non stop "concern" and non stop "the next two weeks are critical." Non stop blanket lockdowns with varying degrees of severity. With the net result that whole swathes of the population have switched off and probably switched off big time for Christmas.

A lot of posters here and on other threads have a naïve and simplistic view of human nature and they vent their frustration at what they perceive as "selfish" "moronic" "covidiot" behaviour. Failing to consider that most Irish people, like all in the western world, have grown up with strong feelings of entitlement to their comforts and freedoms. And expecting them to sacrifice those long term and expecting to convince them and keep them on board long term takes a lot of crafty leading and cajoling. Not finger wagging, scare mongering, exaggerating and constant messing with livelihoods. And all the while those doing the finger wagging and scaremongering continue on huge incomes and many, as we've seen, don't fully adhere to the rules themselves. So now you have loads of young people not bothering anymore with restrictions, loads of business people frustrated and fed up and the rest of the population somewhere between depressed and terrified. We needed a more nuanced approach all along. We needed better timed movements through the 5 levels, we needed localised approaches and we definitely needed a more balanced media coverage. If we had had that more people might be on board now.

Because it's now that we do need the nationwide level 5. But we need buy in from the entire population. Remember at the very start they were slow to close schools and get into the lockdown mode of other countries because they said timing was vital for compliance!! Too much and compliance goes down they said. Unfortunately they [ie political leaders, media NPHET] got so caught up in their own scaremongering that they forgot their original logic.

Quick question:

If Covid is now rampant in the country with unprecedented numbers everywhere, what is the point of the 5km restrictions, or even 2km restrictions? What is it meant to do...... if 5KM further along the road there are the same numbers? Maybe I'm stupid but I don't actually understand it??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

On the local Facebook forum today someone put up a post saying “for anyone who’s feeling stressed and anxious here’s a heart to show you are not alone.....” and then a heart emoji. It has 93 replies so far the overwhelming majority of which are from fellow “hunzos” of various other heart emojis. This is the most worrying thing about this whole situation. This almost slavish acceptance of everything they hear and see and absolutely no dissenting voices will be tolerated. It’s going to take years to deprogramme these people from the fear being shoved down their throats on a daily basis. I was saying at the start of this that the hardest thing was that there is no end in sight and here we are a year on and if anything the end is even less clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Ahem

EqwhDLcXYAAWoyi?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

On the local Facebook forum today someone put up a post saying “for anyone who’s feeling stressed and anxious here’s a heart to show you are not alone.....” and then a heart emoji. It has 93 replies so far the overwhelming majority of which are from fellow “hunzos” of various other heart emojis. This is the most worrying thing about this whole situation. This almost slavish acceptance of everything they hear and see and absolutely no dissenting voices will be tolerated. It’s going to take years to deprogramme these people from the fear being shoved down their throats on a daily basis. I was saying at the start of this that the hardest thing was that there is no end in sight and here we are a year on and if anything the end is even less clear.

I have seen on my social media page a few diagrams where people are represented as dots, red dots represent already infected people, who go into to a square (signifying a restaurant or some such) which has a load of black dots, the red dots then turn more and more black dots red who then go on to turn other black dots red....and the comments underneath are all things like "terrifying" "horrific" "frightening" or some such...they are f##king dots...we all know how the flu is transmitted every year, it's like we have forgotten that!!!

I'll never get over how easily we are all being manipulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

We had one in 2009 with H1N1.

It will come back down as quick as it goes up. That's my whole point, it will do this naturally.

We have concerns around hospital capacity every year. This is nothing new, pandemic or not.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Have you heard of a new thing they're currently distributing, I think it's called a vakseen or a vaccine or something...?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement