Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Ace2007 wrote: »
    But we don't ALL have our masks on, not everyone is obeying to that law. That's the problem, and there are a large % of people that think wearing a mask around your mouth is the problem solved.

How many places still have staff washing hands every 20 mins?

and there are a number of people who genuinely can't wear them unfortunately but the better the rest of us comply then that risk is negated

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You might want to read up on the difference between coincidence and causation.

OK.. how then do you explain the increased cases post August despite almost universal mask usage?

Maybe this is just a seasonal illness like other viruses of the same general type? See my post this morning on the "full circle" state we're now finding ourselves in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    OK.. how then do you explain the increased cases post August despite almost universal mask usage?

Maybe this is just a seasonal illness like other viruses of the same general type? See my post this morning on the "full circle" state we're now finding ourselves in.

massive relaxing of restrictions combined with ridiculous numbers of people incorrectly using masks for a start

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Would love to see your definition of universal mask usage, as i for know 10+ families over xmas who visit each other homes (on the basis they believe that the 1/3 household was per 24 hours - mind boggling to have that logic in a pandemic), but they never worse masks inside - as they "sure i don't have it".

There are a lot of people who think they are following the rules, but if you were to put a camera on them 24/7 - you would soon see they are doing less than half of what they are supposed to for instance.

You walk into any supermarket in the country and i guarantee you that there will be staff half wearing a mask, or staff too busy to wash their hands reguarly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Surely you mean 2020?

And assuming you did, it is likely it was here in January, in low numbers

So for about 6 weeks the highly transmissible virus was circulating with absolutely no mitigation measures but only did so in “low numbers” until the 1st cases were detected here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

With the likely closing of schools coming up will the government make the difficult decision to put all teachers on PUP. There may be a case for secondary school teachers remaining employed but there is absolutely nothing to justify it with primary teachers. Some difficult decisions to be made but the unions are probably correct in wanting schools closed for a period of time.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

1) We're dealing with a highly infectious virus, so small numbers lead to large numbers fairly quickly as infection spreads.
    2) 'Consumer' masks are imperfect - not being worn properly, not being washed properly, not being stored properly.
    3) We're a long, long way from universal mask usage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Solar2021

So for about 6 weeks the highly transmissible virus was circulating with absolutely no mitigation measures but only did so in “low numbers” until the 1st cases were detected here?

Yes that's very unlikey

With an Ro of 6 in the wild ( confirmed by the Chinese )

It would have doubled everyday 2 day's

They believe Wuhan went from patient zero in October/Nov to 1,000,000 cases in 60 day - 90 day's

When this thing takes off, it takes some stopping

It was everywhere in Q1 2020 here, everywhere

JRant wrote: »
    With the likely closing of schools coming up will the government make the difficult decision to put all teachers on PUP. There may be a case for secondary school teachers remaining employed but there is absolutely nothing to justify it with primary teachers. Some difficult decisions to be made but the unions are probably correct in wanting schools closed for a period of time.

Did teachers get full salary in the last lockdown? Pup would be only 350 a week - unions would never allow that regardless of a pandemic or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

'absolutely nothing to justify primary teachers remaining employed' apart from the fact that they will still be working remotely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

You walk into any supermarket in the country and i guarantee you that there will be staff half wearing a mask, or staff too busy to wash their hands reguarly.

Which of course has caused numerous staff to become sick due to the disease because the high and varied number of contacts each day.

I can assume the clusters related to supermarkets are numerous judging by your anecdotal evidence?

Did teachers get full salary in the last lockdown? Pup would be only 350 a week - unions would never allow that regardless of a pandemic or not.

They sure did.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Are you on the PUP yourself?

Which of course has caused numerous staff to become sick due to the disease because the high and varied number of contacts each day.

I can assume the clusters related to supermarkets are numerous judging by your anecdotal evidence?

What are you talking about? Where did i say there was clusters in supermarkets?

I responded to a poster who said there was universal wearing of masks - which there isn't and there are very few wearing them correctly as you can see if you go into any supermarket - and i use a supermarket as it employees large amounts of staff of different age groups and demographics. You will see some wearing them correctly - the staff that care, and others wearing them incorreclty - the staff wearing them only because they have to and not because they want to.

They sure did.

Imagine the outrage of unions, we want schools close but we want full pay - having their cake and eating it comes to mind.

But it's the PS what do we expect eh?

'absolutely nothing to justify primary teachers remaining employed' apart from the fact that they will still be working remotely?

Will they?
    From March to June it was home schooling for most primary pupils. There's no standardised online method for teaching them and let me assure you sending out a weekly email with coursework is not working remotely.

Hard times call for hard measures. We are all in this together don't forget.

Boggles wrote: »
    Are you on the PUP yourself?

What has that got to do with it?

What has that got to do with it?

You are calling for 10s of 1000s of workers to be penalized financially through no fault of their own whilst at the same time pontificating about solidarity and all been in it together.

So I suggest why don't you lead from the front, if you are gainfully employed, keep 350 a week of your salary and donate the rest to a charity, maybe a mental health one.

What do you think?
    Will they?
    Hard times call for hard measures. We are all in this together don't forget.

You are calling for 10s of 1000s of workers to be penalized financially through no fault of their own whilst at the same time pontificating about solidarity and all been in it together.

So I suggest why don't you lead from the front, if you are gainfully employed, keep 350 a week of your salary and donate the rest to a charity, maybe a mental health one.

What do you think?

That are thousands up thousands of private sector workers who have lost their jobs, or are on the pup payments, some of these private business may not even open when covid goes. Why should PS workers get full pay, when private workers don't.

Its' the teachers unions that are pushing for the schools to be closed after all...
    Do you think maybe the unions should suggest that schools should shut now for next two months, and that they will work through their summer holidays - at the very least that would show solidarity as you put it.

What do you think?

I'm confused..

One of the key arguments against the more restrictive measures is the impact it has on employment and income.

Have you changed your mind Boggles?

• Advertisement

What do you think?

Hey, I don't make the rules. You're a big advocate of shutting all sort of businesses down with these restrictions/lockdowns. I'm just following the same logic as yourself and others.

It's not their fault but if the unions are concenr ed about safety and others claiming schools are a problem then the only logical step is to use PUP, the same as every other business that has to close it's doors over the next number of months.

I'll look after my own but thanks for the suggestions. Good to know you're so concerned and I presume is something you are already doing.

That are thousands up thousands of private sector workers who have lost their jobs, or are on the pup payments, some of these private business may not even open when covid goes. Why should PS workers get full pay, when private workers don't.

Its' the teachers unions that are pushing for the schools to be closed after all...
    Do you think maybe the unions should suggest that schools should shut now for next two months, and that they will work through their summer holidays - at the very least that would show solidarity as you put it.

It's up to the Department of Education to decide policy.

This third wave was pretty much telegraphed, it's up to them now to publish their Plan B, they pretended they had since September.

You're a big advocate of shutting all sort of businesses down with these restrictions/lockdowns.

:pac:

I'll need to see some citation for this claim?

In your own good time.

I'm confused..

One of the key arguments against the more restrictive measures is the impact it has on employment and income.

Have you changed your mind Boggles?

You certainly seem to be....

I have literally no idea what you are talking about.

It's up to the Department of Education to decide policy.

This third wave was pretty much telegraphed, it's up to them now to publish their Plan B, they pretended they had since September.

do you honestly think it's up to the Department, every man and their dog on the streets knows that the unions run the PS.

DOE come out and announce all teachers are put on pup while off - they schools will be shut until September as teachers will go on strike at first chance they get post covid to demand their salaries back.

DOE comes out and says ok we'll shut schools for 2 months, but teachers need to work through the summer. The unions will come out and look for more money for this to happy.

Unions if they wanted to can suggest either of those options - but do you really think they would? It's the PS after all.

:pac:

I'll need to see some citation for this claim?

In your own good time.

Nah, you've been clear for a long time where you stand on restrictions and lockdowns. Search your own posting history if you want, I certainly won't be doing it for you.

do you honestly think it's up to the Department,

To run education and have a plan B in place?

Ah yeah, that's not really my opinion TBF.

It's a fact.

Nah, you've been clear for a long time where you stand on restrictions and lockdowns. Search your own posting history if you want, I certainly won't be doing it for you.

So you can't back up your accusation against me?

Would you be as good as to retract it so please.

You certainly seem to be....

I literally no idea what you are talking about.

It's simple.

Lot's of private sector workers have lost their jobs or been forced onto PUP through no fault of their own as as result of the restrictions and the impacts (closures) it's had on their employers.

From reading your posts above though, you don't feel the same rules should apply to teachers if schools are similarly closed?

Seems a bit unfair - to put it mildly - no?

• Advertisement

To run education and have a plan B in place?

Ah yeah, that's not really my opinion TBF.

It's a fact.

I see you are very selective in your reply - you chose to ignore the body of my email that shows you the issues that the DOE face when they try to do anything.

Why had the unions who are so vocal not once come out and offered the teachers to work the summer months, for the good our of children, the good of our health and to get over this pandemic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement