Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭Penfailed

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Constant moving the goal posts

Easter 2021 will be the very same as Xmas 2020. Sure it will be level 5 in Summer 2021 too

Sick of it

Why do you think the goal posts are moving? Do you think that it may, perhaps, be due to the changing situation?

Why do you persist with the doom and gloom predictions? Why would we be in Level 5 in the summer?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,478 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Penfailed wrote: »
    Why do you think the goal posts are moving? Do you think that it may, perhaps, be due to the changing situation?

Why do you persist with the doom and gloom predictions? Why would we be in Level 5 in the summer?

Because it will be copy and paste of 2020 by our wonderful leaders with the public getting the blame . We already messed up with the vaccine and no way will it go to plan

Media hysteria is not helping and its so difficult to stay away from it. I applauded those who have that ability I certainly don't

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I see the people themselves are now responsible for a archaic computer system and inadequate health service 10 months on.

Some people are a fascinating insight into the 1950s Catholic Church mindset.

I would put the health system blame on the unions mainly. They have stop all advances to move to a modern world

At the end of the day, if hospitals get overwhelmed we only have ourselves to blame. Our health service gets overwhelmed every year and nothing ever changes despite the fact we pump in billions of euro each year.

We have done f*ck all to really boost capacity in 10 months and that should be the real talking point.

We done nothing about flights coming in from all over the world because we don’t want to upset other countries.

We have vaccines sitting there for over a week now, use the f*cking things!!!

Blaming people is pathetic. The real issue is that we have a respiratory illness and an incompetent government/CMO and health service that are not fit for purpose.

"Blaming people is pathetic"...goes on to blame people in the next sentence. Brilliant.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Because it will be copy and paste of 2020 by our wonderful leaders with the public getting the blame . We already messed up with the vaccine and no way will it go to plan

Media hysteria is not helping and its so difficult to stay away from it. I applauded those who have that ability I certainly don't

We haven't messed anything up. We decided to go with a vaccine that gps could distribute.

We will have 30000 of the other vaccine arriving each week, we will have first dosage completed in all nursing homes by end of jan.

If we were the first to go with the vaccine ye would say we are careless

Cant win no matter what with ye arm chair warriors

• Advertisement

SusieBlue wrote: »
    You’ve been following & posting on these threads for long enough to know that I’ve posted my own theories on how this should be handled numerous times, and it hasn’t changed.

Focus on targeting the areas that are actually contributing towards the spread.
    In our case, hospitals, nursing homes, direct provision centres, and private households mixing.
    Stop scapegoating and punishing industries who are not responsible for nor are contributing towards the spread. Such as hairdressers, gyms, and counselling facilities (just a few of many examples).
    Stop putting the people in those industries out of work just to be seen to be doing something instead of addressing the things that are causing the cases to rise, and stop going nuclear and pressing the level 5 button every few weeks.
    I wouldn’t have thought that was a particularly contrary position to take, but clearly not.

The issues in hospitals and nursing homes are current and up to date btw, unfortunately we haven’t gotten a handle on any of those outbreaks since all this began. I wish they had just gotten it wrong in the beginning but there’s no improvement that I can see.

Pretty standard for you to take issue with a post criticising our response to managing the virus. For someone who claims to also be unhappy with the lockdowns you sure seem to do all you can to defend them & the governments plan at all costs. Weird.

How do you suggest they control outbreaks in hospitals and nursing homes? It's really really easy to sit there and say that's the biggest problem, they really need to fix it...but no ideas about how to fix it.
    I'm not trying to defend the government's plan at all costs. I've said in this very thread that the restrictions should be more focused rather than blanket countrywide restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

I would put the health system blame on the unions mainly. They have stop all advances to move to a modern world

Would you now? And maybe you might be more specific and with evidence, show exactly how they have "stopped all advances" and gone against the Govt of the day?? I would be fascinated to hear it and read the evidence.

Because as a public servant and a trade union member, my experience is that the unions are mainly Govt facilitators. They mainly soften up members to accept whatever the Govt wants. And members in this country will generally toe the line very easily. Especially the respectable middle classes.

The notion of some militant pre Thatcherite trade unionism in the Ireland of 2021 is quite frankly laughable.

We already messed up with the vaccine? How so?

Media hysteria is very simple to avoid. I've done it from the start. Even if you're exposed to it, you can identify if it's hysteria or factual reporting. If it's hysteria, best to ignore. If it's factual, it's not hysteria.

Could we see walk ins to takeaways been banned and its only order & collect/deliveries ?

Could we see walk ins to takeaways been banned and its only order & collect/deliveries ?

Nope, they are clutching at straws if they do that. I see no problem with someone walking into a takeaway and ordering from a menu. Our local takeaway gives you a bleeper when you pay for your order, and they alert you when your food is ready for collection. People sit in their cars while the food is being prepared. Works very well and it is very safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

JRant wrote: »
    You know what Boggles, I have no intentions of dragging this one on. If you haven't been in favour of restrictions then consider it with withdrawn. Apologies if I took you up wrong.

I was in favor of minimal restrictions with a zero covid policy.

We had the natural geography to do, i.e. an island.

Unfortunately we share that island with another country, the leader of which thinks it would make her less Protestant to do the right thing.

Boggles wrote: »
    I was in favor of minimal restrictions with a zero covid policy.

We had the natural geography to do, i.e. an island.

Unfortunately we share that island with another country, the leader of which thinks it would make her less Protestant to do the right thing.

And we're also a member of the EU, therefore citizens of Europe with a right to call any of those countries home and free movement to access and vica versa.

Or have you forgotten that little detail? Would you prefer that we pull back up the drawbridge and go back to our island ways? Geopolitically, socially and economically?

Worst case scenario thing again? Ever the pessimist.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I see Tony said that now is not the time to debate “Why we are where we are”.

Well hopefully there will be a tribunal in the future and people will be held to account.

But we all know that won’t happen.

The government certainly should be held to account for their decisions prior to Christmas - putting accelerant fuel on embers and now we have a fire.

Atlantic Dawn put it best
    A month ago..Ireland model example with lowest rate in EU.
    Today...Ireland basket case with highest rate in EU.

acequion wrote: »
    And we're also a member of the EU, therefore citizens of Europe with a right to call any of those countries home and free movement to access and vica versa.

Or have you forgotten that little detail? Would you prefer that we pull back up the drawbridge and go back to our island ways? Geopolitically, socially and economically?

NI is a mess with Covid and the border counties are suffering. One my colleagues had to drive to the test centre in Mullingar, from Louth, to get a test today. NI isn't in the EU, so why can't they close the border for the next while (few weeks) until things calm down? I understand that the border is a complex issue but people need to be sensible about this situation. People who need to cross the border for work can do so.

I never said the strategy wouldn't be hard, In fact it would probably have been impossible, like I said.

But I do wonder given the chance again would they be tempted.

Also Ireland are not in Schengen area, so it isn't the same rules of the rest of Europe.

I also never suggested we leave the EU or stop the movement of people (which has pretty much stopped itself). Just make them wait for a bit in a hotel before we let them on their way.

Then again, it's never too late to try it, this shít show will probably go on until Spring next year at the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

tara2k wrote: »
    NI is a mess with Covid and the border counties are suffering. One my colleagues had to drive to the test centre in Mullingar, from Louth, to get a test today. NI isn't in the EU, so why can't they close the border for the next while (few weeks) until things calm down? I understand that the border is a complex issue but people need to be sensible about this situation. People who need to cross the border for work can do so.

Government won't close building sites. Builders driving from all over the country, including NI, to work in Dublin.

Schools are closed and it seems will remain closed for a while. Construction industry more important than schools. Beggars belief.

Boggles wrote: »
    I never said the strategy wouldn't be hard, In fact it would probably have been impossible, like I said.

But I do wonder given the chance again would they be tempted.

Also Ireland are not in Schengen area, so it isn't the same rules of the rest of Europe.

I also never suggested we leave the EU or stop the movement of people (which has pretty much stopped itself). Just make them wait for a bit in a hotel before we let them on their way.

Then again, it's never too late to try it, this shít show will probably go on until Spring next year at the least.

You'd be heaping more misery on thousands of people whose lives span two or more countries. Interconnectivity has exploded in the 21st century, a marvellous feat imo. People can live in one country and have family, study, property and business interests in other countries and can over and back all the time with wonderful connectivity from several airports and affordable fares.

But no doubting that that international factor is a problem at the moment. If we could kick em all out and pull up the drawbridge we might manage your zero Covid utopia. But be careful what you wish for!! Do you really want to send us back the gloomy, insular place we used to be!! I would hope that with decent testing and vaccinating facilities available there will be a viable way around the problem.

And have some faith in the vaccines! We won't be in the same place until spring next year! We couldn't afford it for one thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

tara2k wrote: »

They don't even need to close the borders. Just mandate 14 quarantine, with daily check ins by the Garda or some other responsible body. Doesn't matter if you are crossing the border for work or not. Otherwise we are sacrificing an awful lot in this country only to have it pissed away by the constant influx of people from outside the State.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭Neagra

GocRh wrote: »
    Government won't close building sites. Builders driving from all over the country, including NI, to work in Dublin.

Schools are closed and it seems will remain closed for a while. Construction industry more important than schools. Beggars belief.

it is strange that construction sites and non essential manufacturing/factories can stay open
    if nphet and the government trust in lockdowns then they should just lock everything down including ALL flights in and out leaving only the true essential business open.
    all workers get €500 TAX FREE MONEY per week from the state into their bank a/c no exceptions, even those who must continue to work should get it.
    set up the guards and the army at checkpoints - penalties of 5,000 and public humiliation by being named and shamed for anyone acting the bollix.

i dont get the whole doddering that the government do - if they believe that lockdowns will solve the issue then get on with it.
    nothing worse then the people being kept in the dark.

• Advertisement

Interconnectivity has exploded in the 21st century, a marvellous feat imo. .

I agree, but inter-connectivity has completely collapsed in 2020-21. That's an absolute fact.

The countries that have done "well" out of this have utilized their natural advantages and compensated for their weaknesses.

I imagine in some parallel universe if the likes of Germany and Austria were a separate land mass, it would have been at least given serious consideration.

IMHO it would be pretty stupid not to take advantage of it.

But again, like I said, all probably impossible.

Instead in a sad reality we have to over compensate in our strategy because those dangerous simpletons up North can't get their shít together at the best of times.

Ill tell ya what when this is over i'm going away for a few days

The thought of going away somewhere seeing places, having pints in pub and in general just having something to look forward too is just magical. I'll go on my own if i have too

The thought of going away somewhere seeing places, having pints in pub and in general just having something to look forward too is just magical. I'll go on my own if i have too

i plan on blowing what little money i have on foreign trips

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

When this is over I'd love nothing more than heading of down somewhere in west by myself. I don't think the wife and kids would be too happy about it though :)

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Neagra wrote: »
    i plan on blowing what little money i have on foreign trips

Same but i'll take an Irish trip atm

Amsterdam or somewhere in central Europe would on my list

Went to Hamburg last Feb for a stag and who knew what was coming just a few weeks later

• Registered Users Posts: 12,181 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

When this is over, I won't have the money for a fooking bus fare to the seaside.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

Writing from Portugal. Enjoying a pint outdoors, social distancing being observed everywhere and masks mandatory even outdoors. I have a second home in northern Portugal and have not socialised with anyone other than my gf (we've social distanced for 2 weeks before traveling and we've traveled together).

Cases here are high but have not exploded and the health system, and test system, are coping with the recent rise in cases. No fear mongering from government. No one being turned away from hospitals.

Very strict curfews during the weekends. Everything shut from 1pm - and I mean everything, even essential retail.

Portugal isn't perfect, no place is, but it does seem that they're learning to live with covid.

Same but i'll take an Irish trip atm

Amsterdam or somewhere in central Europe would on my list

Went to Hamburg last Feb for a stag and who knew what was coming just a few weeks later

so much to choose from - something for everyone
    Amsterdam prague munich Dubrovnik Rome
    we need to plan for the craic now

Neagra wrote: »
    so much to choose from - something for everyone
    Amsterdam prague munich Dubrovnik Rome
    we need to plan for the craic now

The airport pint will gold absolute gold

Hopefully by Feb/Mar we will know what the short term looks like regarding Tourism/Travel

• Advertisement

GocRh wrote: »
    Writing from Portugal. Enjoying a pint outdoors....
    Portugal isn't perfect, no place is, but it does seem that they're learning to live with covid.

If you tried that here at the moment you would be in ICU in 90 minutes.

:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement