Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

A man in Dr Tony’s position shouldn’t be speaking like this.

You can’t assume anything it’s a ridiculous statement to make and that is a fact....

Far better to assume you have Covid and act accordingly than assume you don’t and act like a tit like a lot of people.

Why Holohan said in that instance was 100% correct

JRant wrote: »
    Should he not have said COVID like symptoms though?

There are enough similarities in the symptoms and so many Covid cases and no flu cases to make it a very reasonable assumption

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

JRant wrote: »
    They don't even need to close the borders. Just mandate 14 quarantine, with daily check ins by the Garda or some other responsible body. Doesn't matter if you are crossing the border for work or not. Otherwise we are sacrificing an awful lot in this country only to have it pissed away by the constant influx of people from outside the State.

"Outside the State"????? Jesus but what is with some of you guys that you have completely forgotten our membership of the EU???? And I thought you were a poster with a broader understanding!!

I'm Irish. But not one hope in hell would I live in our windswept, authoritarian [be that Church, State or NPHET] backwater only for the wonderful connectivity to Europe from virtually every airport in the land.

If you're forcing people to choose with this "close the border" nonsense I foresee more massive emigration out of this little island in the future.

Just be very careful what you wish for!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭CCP24

There are enough similarities in the symptoms and so many Covid cases and no flu cases to make it a very reasonable assumption

That’s simply not true. I get repeat sinus infections that bring on those symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Far better to assume you have Covid and act accordingly than assume you don’t and act like a tit like a lot of people.

I'd argue it's far better psychologically to assume you don't have a potentially dangerous virus at all times and don't act like it.

Sending out a message to treat everyone, including yourself, as having a virus is a dangerous dangerous thing to do.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

So if I was to describe COVID as a "flu like illness" you'd be fine with that. After all it does share enough similarities :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I feel perfectly fine

But that’s one of the common symptoms

Should I get tested?

acequion wrote: »
    "Outside the State"????? Jesus but what is with some of you guys that you have completely forgotten our membership of the EU???? And I thought you were a poster with a broader understanding!!

I'm Irish. But not one hope in hell would I live in our windswept, authoritarian [be that Church, State or NPHET] backwater only for the wonderful connectivity to Europe from virtually every airport in the land.

If you're forcing people to choose with this "close the border" nonsense I foresee more massive emigration out of this little island in the future.

Just be very careful what you wish for!!

I didn't say I would do that. Just spitballing with some other posters. No harm in discussing all the options available. I do believe that having 50+ thousand people travel over from England in the weeks before Christmas has great contributed to.our current numbers. Thankfully, we seem to be managing the situation and have additional surge capacity if required.

Our interconnectivity has been an enormous benefit to this country in a relatively short period of time. Trust me, as someone who does a lot of travel for work and personal reasons I wouldn't want to change that any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

I feel perfectly fine

But that’s one of the common symptoms

Should I get tested?

Brilliant. Thats what we were doing June > Aug, testing healthy people with no symptoms. False positives kept creeping up, causing Ro Ro to be viciously "concerned" when new cases went from 6 to 14 to 17 to 9 in mid July.

How many people of the "6110 cases" are actually sick? You'd think if they are all sick our hospitals would be overwhelmed by just about now?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I would put the health system blame on the unions mainly. They have stop all advances to move to a modern world

Can you point to any specific examples of this happening over the past decade or so please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

Meaning that the Gardai, nurses, doctors should all be in isolation because they have to assume they're infected?!?

That's just an excuse for our complete and utter inability to run a proper health system.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I see the people themselves are now responsible for a archaic computer system and inadequate health service 10 months on.

Some people are a fascinating insight into the 1950s Catholic Church mindset.

Ah, I finally see the issue, you think this is a computer virus, don't you Fintan?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭Allinall

Brilliant. Thats what we were doing June > Aug, testing healthy people with no symptoms. False positives kept creeping up, causing Ro Ro to be viciously "concerned" when new cases went from 6 to 14 to 17 to 9 in mid July.

How many people of the "6110 cases" are actually sick? You'd think if they are all sick our hospitals would be overwhelmed by just about now?

Even now, you still have a complete lack of understanding as to how the virus spreads, and affects people.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

538336.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭47akak

You still don't understand the lag factor with hospitalisations and deaths? Or are you just pretending you don't know? Have you seen the 3x increase in hospitalisations or are you just pretending that you haven't seen it?

And at least tests in June proved this "false positive" stuff is just more ill-informed paranoid nonsense with the tiny number of tests returned positive out of many thousands.

john4321 wrote: »
    538336.jpg

Those are extremely small numbers. A country of 4,900,000 has 53 people admitted into a hospital and 21 discharged.

Meanwhile we have 450,000 + unemployed people as result of hysterical "cases", some losing their house, some getting abused at home, some taking their lives. Every single day.

PS nobody said 6 people died... thats nearly 1 person in 1 million. However we continue to ruin the lives of hundreds of thousands every single day. Fkin disgrace.

47akak wrote: »
    You still don't understand the lag factor with hospitalisations and deaths? Or are you just pretending you don't know? Have you seen the 3x increase in hospitalisations or are you just pretending that you haven't seen it?

And at least tests in June proved this "false positive" stuff is just more ill-informed paranoid nonsense with the tiny number of tests returned positive out of many thousands.

Just take it down a notch on hysteria pal. Seriously.

Theres a country in Europe that has avoided lockdown, they are due to finish on same deaths this year as they did in the deadly pandemic of flu of 2018.

Seriously people - stop tuning in to 6.01 daily worship of covid cases and get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

there appears to be some serious confusion here as regards the purpose of a hospital in a pandemic situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Theres a country in Europe that has avoided lockdown, they are due to finish on same deaths this year as they did in the deadly pandemic of flu of 2018.

Seriously people - stop tuning in to 6.01 daily worship of covid cases and get a grip.

Those are extremely small numbers. A country of 4,900,000 has 53 people admitted into a hospital and 21 discharged.

Meanwhile we have 450,000 + unemployed people as result of hysterical "cases", some losing their house, some getting abused at home, some taking their lives. Every single day.

PS nobody said 6 people died... thats nearly 1 person in 1 million. However we continue to ruin the lives of hundreds of thousands every single day. Fkin disgrace.

The irony is something else with your posts. If you are not on the windup I worry for the future of this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,752 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ah still cheerleading for the policy Sweden very quickly abandoned is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭47akak

Only one person I see engaging in hysteria here.

Sweden did partially restrict activities especially informally and they had 2x the GDP % drop as one of their neighbours and a 10x mortality rate of another of their neighbours. And despite claims about "dry tinder" and "herd immunity" and all that ****e they suffered their worst day in terms of deaths last week. They've now increased restrictions and are considering more.

And the claim about excess mortality in Sweden is another factoid that has been debunked. Mortality and deaths do not remain the same year on year on year for every country. It's a constantly moving target. Those capable of doing so have examined Sweden's mortality and say it concurs with the number of reported Covid deaths.

Get a grip indeed. Let's start by addressing reality as it is, not the one we want to think exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Those capable of doing so have examined Sweden's mortality and say it concurs with the number of reported Covid deaths.

Get a grip indeed. Let's start by addressing reality as it is, not the one we want to think exists.

You believe that every death this year with Covid is an excess death?? Not one person may have been near the end of their life this year and something else, sadly, other than Covid would not have caused their death this year?

Average stay in nursing home is just under two years.

Yes of course there have been lives tragically cut short by Covid, we will likely never know how many. But you are right in asking for reality to be addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Can you point to any specific examples of this happening over the past decade or so please?

Do you think Diagnostics would still be 9-5 Monday to Friday if it wasn’t for the unions. Waiting list is over a year in the Mater for a GP referred x ray. Go to a private clinic and get it done in a couple of days. Same staff probably working in both.

I believe the nursing union has also objected to the creation of a ‘theatre assistant’ role, common in the rest of Europe. It’s a niche role which doesn’t require 4 years of training to perform. And before anyone says it, protectionism is always disguised as ‘ protecting standards/ quality’.

Finally, do you think the 12 hour shifts which nurses are always cribbing about are actually in the nurses’ or the patients’ interests? A 12 hour shift is illegal in Australia in the interests of patient safety. Very handy for the nurses though, lets them do the lucrative agency work for the rest of the week. Next time you hear a nurse whinging about exhaustion, ask them if they’d prefer to do their hours over five days instead of three to alleviate the exhaustion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Ill tell ya what when this is over i'm going away for a few days

The thought of going away somewhere seeing places, having pints in pub and in general just having something to look forward too is just magical. I'll go on my own if i have too
    This is my plan. Get a private vaccine (they'll be widely available in the summer) and get the hell out of this hysterical sh1thole. If you're waiting on this excuse of a government to give you a vaccine, you could be waiting 9 or 10 months.

Went away three times since March, it really gives you an idea of how much this virus is overblown in Ireland. It's in your face night, noon and morning. On the continent, people just get on with things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

myself and a few mates are planning on heading to Goodwood in August for the racing instead of galway, rumor has it they will be behind closed doors again this year, and pubs not fully opened or with food restriction and 10pm closeing

• Registered Users Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

hamburgham wrote: »
    Do you think Diagnostics would still be 9-5 Monday to Friday if it wasn’t for the unions. Waiting list is over a year in the Mater for a GP referred x ray. Go to a private clinic and get it done in a couple of days. Same staff probably working in both.

I believe the nursing union has also objected to the creation of a ‘theatre assistant’ role, common in the rest of Europe. It’s a niche role which doesn’t require 4 years of training to perform. And before anyone says it, protectionism is always disguised as ‘ protecting standards/ quality’.

Finally, do you think the 12 hour shifts which nurses are always cribbing about are actually in the nurses’ or the patients’ interests? A 12 hour shift is illegal in Australia in the interests of patient safety. Very handy for the nurses though, let’s them do the lucrative agency work for the rest of the week. Next time you hear a nurse whinging about exhaustion, ask them if they’d prefer to do their hours over five days instead of three to alleviate the exhaustion.

The claim was specifically about unions blocking advances in technology. Can I take it that you have no examples of this?

Theatre attendants have been around for years btw, on the same salary scale as HCAs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Dickie10 wrote: »
    myself and a few mates are planning on heading to Goodwood in August for the racing instead of galway, rumor has it they will be behind closed doors again this year, and pubs not fully opened or with food restriction and 10pm closeing

That’s here to stay.

I don’t see the traditional pub returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,760 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

That’s here to stay.

All of these things will return i'm sure. Just won't be as many of them for a while when they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,752 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

That’s here to stay.

Fearmongering Fintan. Thought you were better than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

That’s here to stay.

Human history post spanish flu / world wars says otherwise. It will take a while but i foresee a collective Carpe diem party explosion once the green light goes on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement