Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Human history post spanish flu / world wars says otherwise. It will take a while but i foresee a collective Carpe diem party explosion once the green light goes on.

Weatherspoons will be the template by the time that green light illuminates in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭hamburgham

The claim was specifically about unions blocking advances in technology. Can I take it that you have no examples of this?

Theatre attendants have been around for years btw, on the same salary scale as HCAs.

Well I didn’t have to look too hard.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0518/1139188-hse-union-row/

Shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

That’s here to stay.

I don’t see the traditional pub returning.

Nonsense. There's no way that pubs won't return.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

Penfailed wrote: »
    Nonsense. There's no way that pubs won't return.

I did specifically allude to traditional pubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Dickie10 wrote: »
    myself and a few mates are planning on heading to Goodwood in August for the racing instead of galway, rumor has it they will be behind closed doors again this year, and pubs not fully opened or with food restriction and 10pm closeing

Careful now, that might upset some of the posters on here, you having a good time and all, you granny killer :pac:

• Advertisement

All of these things will return i'm sure. Just won't be as many of them for a while when they do.

I’m not so sure that pubs will return.

First of all, I’m not so sure anybody would be interested in investing and running such a risky business. I mean, what happens if Covid returns? Or something else? Or we decide to lockdown for flu next year? The precedent is set now. Pubs will be closed for whatever length of time necessary. You’d want to be crazy to run such a business. Especially if your mortgage relies on it.

Second of all, The government have created a monster in NPHET/Tony Holohan. I don’t see them disappearing quietly without at least pushing for some of their wet dream type policies. I think they will push some kind of anti alcohol agenda.

Finally, young people find their own way. With pubs closed for so long and/or having so many restrictions, house parties/underground scenes are getting more popular. That may or may not continue. Probably not IF pubs are unrestricted.

JRant wrote: »
    So if I was to describe COVID as a "flu like illness" you'd be fine with that. After all it does share enough similarities :)

They even have a definition for it - influenza like illness. Like does not mean the same.

I feel perfectly fine

But that’s one of the common symptoms

Should I get tested?

Way to spectacularly miss the point. The point was made that if you have flu like symptoms it is safer to assume you have it and behave accordingly than carry on as normal.

At this stage this thread is nothing but deliberate misrepresentation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,239 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Just take it down a notch on hysteria pal. Seriously.

Theres a country in Europe that has avoided lockdown, they are due to finish on same deaths this year as they did in the deadly pandemic of flu of 2018.

Seriously people - stop tuning in to 6.01 daily worship of covid cases and get a grip.

What European country has avoided lockdown?
    I presume you aren't taking about Sweden?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

john4321 wrote: »
    The irony is something else with your posts. If you are not on the windup I worry for the future of this country.

He's 22/23 years old.

There's your answer.

• Advertisement

He's 22/23 years old.

There's your answer.

Ah. He mustn’t be entitled to a voice so.

Time we started getting the younger guys opinions, they will pay for this mess longer than overpaid public servants mandating lockdown at every opportunity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Way to spectacularly miss the point. The point was made that if you have flu like symptoms it is safer to assume you have it and behave accordingly than carry on as normal.

At this stage this thread is nothing but deliberate misrepresentation

And so much fear mongering aswell.

Tony Holohan is going to be on Newstalk this morning, talking about Covid being out of control..... (saying many of us are going to end up in funeral homes from the promo snip! )..........he sure gets around.

Interestingly on the Breakfast Show the head of the WHO said it was really unhelpful for "out of control" to be used as a phrase in talking about Covid right now.

Time to put on relaxing Jazz from Spotify

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Ah. He mustn’t be entitled to a voice so.

Time we started getting the younger guys opinions, they will pay for this mess longer than overpaid public servants mandating lockdown at every opportunity

He is posting on a public forum so he does have a voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,500 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Tony Holohan is going to be on Newstalk this morning, talking about Covid being out of control

Would you prefer he go on the radio and tell lies.

Like your contention the flu is worse?

Turn up that Jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

john4321 wrote: »
    The irony is something else with your posts. If you are not on the windup I worry for the future of this country.

Screaming every day about rise in cases and being concerned = hysterical. When out of 6,110 "cases" only 53 go to a hospital. (there is a strong assumption that 53 actually got covid, felt bad and went to a hospital, rumour has it good few people with broken legs, arms, other issues who get admitted into a hospital, asymptomatic, get covid tested and if they test positive thats a hospitalized covid case right there)

You are looking out for 1:30 onward. Dont listen to first part of the video, as that goes on to clearly demonstrate how large chunk of "Covid deaths" are actually deaths with covid.

Stating that 450,000 + people are currently unemployed due to nonsense measures and every day some experience mental health issues, some losing their home to the bank, some taking their lives is hysterical? Thats not hysterical. Its a fact. Just because it doesnt get announced on RTE every day doesnt mean it doesnt happen you understand this?

pjohnson wrote: »
    Ah still cheerleading for the policy Sweden very quickly abandoned is it?

When was it abandoned PJ?

Could you maybe provide a link?

Or you gonna stick with ":pac:" posts this year again?

Reality is below my :pac: pal

https://www.statista.com/statistics/525353/sweden-number-of-deaths/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

The divide between people who are absolutely terrified of the virus and people who aren't appears to growing by the day.

A lot of people are actively living and working safely but don't give a **** anymore about COVID and lockdowns. That's not a contradiction either.

GazzaL wrote: »
    There divide between people who are absolutely terrified of the virus and people who aren't appears to growing by the day.

A lot of people are actively living and working safely but don't give a **** anymore about COVID and lockdowns. That's not a contradiction either.

1 group is aware that on average 80 people die in Ireland per day. When they see "6 deaths with covid" they dont exactly starting biting nails and doing the 6.01 prayer to covid numbers, putting a mask on their pets etc.

and then there is the other group..... that is convinced 6,110 cases will soon result in 500 daily deaths. 3% of Irish population will be wiped out by deadly covid and if you dont wear a mask you are killing granny.

The divide between people who are absolutely terrified of the virus and people who aren't appears to growing by the day.

Indeed pandemic denial seems to be on the increase, a condition borne largely out of fear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭Allinall

Screaming every day about rise in cases and being concerned = hysterical. When out of 6,110 "cases" only 53 go to a hospital. (there is a strong assumption that 53 actually got covid, felt bad and went to a hospital, rumour has it good few people with broken legs, arms, other issues who get admitted into a hospital, asymptomatic, get covid tested and if they test positive thats a hospitalized covid case right there)

You are looking out for 1:30 onward. Dont listen to first part of the video, as that goes on to clearly demonstrate how large chunk of "Covid deaths" are actually deaths with covid.

Stating that 450,000 + people are currently unemployed due to nonsense measures and every day some experience mental health issues, some losing their home to the bank, some taking their lives is hysterical? Thats not hysterical. Its a fact. Just because it doesnt get announced on RTE every day doesnt mean it doesnt happen you understand this?

The bolded bits.

Anything to back this up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Thats called human nature. And to be honest im not sure any of the people running this understand human nature.

People are actively turning off because they never change the message or the messenger.

I mean i hear the words George Lee and thats it, straight for the remote or car radio or whatever medium hes blasting through.

The message is the same NPHET are concerned, concerned now with record numbers and concerned when we had 17 cases in the summer. Human nature leads to people thinking sure whats the point, theyre always concerned anyway

Act like you have the virus, basically behave like you have the virus but as of yesterday schools are going back next monday according to Mrs Madigan so how does everybody act like they have the virus but send kids to schools?

People just keep screaming "stay at home etc" without a single inkling of how human nature works. Some will follow to the letter like robots, others will never follow whilst the vast majority will flip between complete obedience and a lax attitude all depending on whas being said and the message and the more mixed that message is the less compliance will be.

Human nature

Boggles wrote: »
    Would you prefer he go on the radio and tell lies.

Like your contention the flu is worse?

Turn up that Jazz.

can you link the post where I said the flu was worse?? :confused: You must be thinking of someone else. But speaking from experience half my family have had Covid at this stage , one of them was 8 months pregnant (my daughter) and one was 17 months old (her daughter), plus multiple in-laws in their sixties, neices, nephews and my sister . I am still not afraid of Covid. Absolultely everyone who got it in my family was just fine. They all got it at different times too over the last 4 months.

I just can't listen to Tony being "so concerned" anymore so yes I ABSOLUTELY will turn up that Jazz and enjoy it :rolleyes:

Oh FFS, look at the cases 12 days ago if you want to see why the hospitalisation rate is, not the number of cases today. A lag is a simple concept, I don't know how so many don't get it, or deliberately misrepresent it

*2020 data provisional as only up to December 18th and all deaths are not yet reported

1 group is aware that on average 80 people die in Ireland per day. When they see "6 deaths with covid" they dont exactly starting biting nails and doing the 6.01 prayer to covid numbers, putting a mask on their pets etc.

and then there is the other group..... that is convinced 6,110 cases will soon result in 500 daily deaths. 3% of Irish population will be wiped out by deadly covid and if you dont wear a mask you are killing granny.

Inventing an extreme of what other people think may disprove the strawman that you make up for their argument, but it does not disprove their actual argument which you dont engage with

Tony Hollhan now saying on Newstalk that yes antigen testing will play a role AFTER we get this latest Tsunami under control.."we need now for people to behave" so as long as we can close the country it's our policy to CURE rater than PREVENT.. Also he insists that PCR is the gold standard, PCR is very commonly found to give false positives despite what they say...

what's up with this man and his reluctance to move on the obvious FFS...

Tony was having his arse handed to him and all of a sudden the line breaks mid interview...toys out of pram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Wish we could see the data for the total deaths in Ireland for 2020 as opposed to 2019. I can’t find it, can anyone else?

can you link the post where I said the flu was worse?? :confused:

Sure.
    It this wasn't called Covid, it this was just a flu we wouldn't hear a word about it. Covid is killing less than the flu,

• Advertisement

rusty cole wrote: »
    Tony Hollhan now saying on Newstalk that yes antigen testing will play a role AFTER we get this latest Tsunami under control.."we need now for people to behave" so as long as we can close the country it's our policy to CURE rater than PREVENT.. Also he insists that PCR is the gold standard, PCR is very commonly found to give false positives despite what they say...

what's up with this man and his reluctance to move on the obvious FFS...

Tony was having his arse handed to him and all of a sudden the line breaks mid interview...toys out of pram.

PCR will only detect virus if it is present. This line has migrated from being a talking point to an outright lie at this stage

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement