Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Fodla

fin12 wrote: »
    Yes I read an article about this elderly woman and they showed a photo of her last year and this year and the deterioration was frightening from the lifestyle that’s been forced upon them, they are literally like caged animals.

It's very sad, but what I find puzzling is why so many elderly people have decided to give up on life and on living. Many have been at home since March. Why have they decided to torture themselves by avoiding human contact? It's something I don't understand.

You go first there so shur.

I'm not saying people should emigrate, and I understand people's circumstances mean they couldn't, but it is something to consider. Ireland is banjaxed in every respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Fodla wrote: »
    I'm not saying people should emigrate, and I understand people's circumstances mean they couldn't, but it is something to consider. Ireland is banjaxed in every respect.

Ireland is looking at being permanently locked down. I would suggest people think seriously about emigrating.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

What about all the hermits who never went outside the door pre Covid they are living exactly the same as they have always lived, so they are not making any sacrifices. They are the ones who are all pro lockdown pro fines, because it doesn’t affect them one bit.

I could jump on the bandwagon and be ranting and raving about keeping gyms closed cause I don’t give a **** about gyms and have no interest in them but why would I? Other people get enjoyment from them. I’d a run in with one of these hermits today, can’t listen to that sh*t.

john4321 wrote: »
    :confused:

Suggesting people think seriously about doing something and saying people should do something aren't the same.

• Advertisement

What about all the hermits who never went outside the door pre Covid they are living exactly the same as they have always lived, so they are not making any sacrifices. They are the ones who are all pro lockdown pro fines, because it doesn’t affect them one bit.

I could jump on the bandwagon and be ranting and raving about keeping gyms closed cause I don’t give a **** about gyms and have no interest in them but why would I? Other people get enjoyment from them. I’d a run in with one of these hermits today, can’t listen to that sh*t.

Indeed. I remember talking to a guy about nightclubs, discos, holidays abroad and so on, and he had no time for what I was saying. He leaves the house once a week to go shopping and sends the rest of the time on his laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Tony’s graph on the level of fear?

I mentioned that graph to people i met today who hadn’t seen it. They genuinely laughed thinking i was pulling their legs lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

So you’d be quite happy to be in permanent lockdown,?

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Indeed. I remember talking to a guy about nightclubs, discos, holidays abroad and so on, and he had no time for what I was saying. He leaves the house once a week to go shopping and sends the rest of the time on his laptop.

He wasn’t part of Nphet by any chance? If not they could hire him

Suggesting people think seriously about doing something and saying people should do something aren't the same.

Ok in that case I would suggest you stick to the CT threads instead of throwing out lines like "Ireland is looking at being permanently locked down"

I'm not saying you should just suggesting.

• Advertisement

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    He wasn’t part of Nphet by any chance? If not they could hire him

No, but he watches a lot of CNN and reads the BBC. That explains a lot.

Ok in that case I would suggest you stick to the CT threads instead of throwing out lines like "Ireland is looking at being permanently locked down"

I'm not saying you should just suggesting.

Are we not allowed to discuss the possibility of Ireland being in permanent lockdown? It's been in and out of lockdown for the guts of a year. It doesn't bode well for the future.

It's not a conspiracy theory. The yo-yo lockdowns of the past year almost suggest it may be a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

It was banjaxed many years ago this is a new low. It will go and something else will take it’s place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

Agree completely. I could jump on the bandwagon about pubs. I never go to pubs, don't enjoy them, not my scene at all though I'm not a non drinker. However I completely empathise with the frustration of those who love the pub and for who it's a big part of their lives. Not the mention how pub owners must feel. How awful to reach adulthood, often maturity and old age and be incapable of understanding for others! The lunatics screaming to seal the borders are the same.:rolleyes: They most likely never travel, have all the family and the livelihood in Ireland. No concept that as citizens of Europe many have family, loved ones and business interests in other countries and are hurting.

I've a run in with the zealots daily :D:D but generally on sites like these, I manage to avoid em out in the real world.

Are we not allowed to discuss the possibility of Ireland being in permanent lockdown? It's been in and out of lockdown for the guts of a year. It doesn't bode well for the future.

It's not a conspiracy theory. The yo-yo lockdowns of the past year almost suggest it may be a possibility.

Why are we in a yo-yo cycle and what is the alternative.

It was banjaxed many years ago this is a new low. It will go and something else will take it’s place

I don't know. It will be very hard to recover from this. I almost fainted when I read about 45% youth unemployment and 20% national unemployment.

Why are we in a yo-yo cycle and what is the alternative.

Trust people to make their own decisions and stop obsessing over case numbers.

My fear is that the yo-yo cycle will continue even with a vaccine. The performance of NPHET doesn't reassure me.

Sure it can be discussed but what you did was make a statement saying "Ireland is looking at being permanently locked down" and suggest people immigrate.

What do you mean by permanent lockdown? For the next few months or years?

My own opinion is it won't be. I think fingers crossed things will be back to normal summer 2021.

acequion wrote: »
    Agree completely. I could jump on the bandwagon about pubs. I never go to pubs, don't enjoy them, not my scene at all though I'm not a non drinker. However I completely empathise with the frustration of those who love the pub and for who it's a big part of their lives. Not the mention how pub owners must feel. How awful to reach adulthood, often maturity and old age and be incapable of understanding for others! The lunatics screaming to seal the borders are the same.:rolleyes: They most likely never travel, have all the family and the livelihood in Ireland. No concept that as citizens of Europe many have family, loved ones and business interests in other countries and are hurting.

I've a run in with the zealots daily :D:D but generally on sites like these, I manage to avoid em out in the real world.

Well if this is a reflection of the real world it’s full off nee jerk conspiracy theorists who can’t string a sentence together and just blurt out whatever slogans bounce around in their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

I read Prof Luke O'Neils remarks earlier today about sticking 'grandpa' in front of a wide open window for Christmas dinner.

I've gone through a range of emotions since then. First I laughed at the sheer craziness that someone would suggest it, nevermind in public. Then I just became bemused at the country we live in, imagine a so called public service broadcaster would give this the time of day - it's too far fetched for a tabloid.

Finally anger. The statement gives us a real insight in to how old people are viewed in Ireland. Not respected. Since March our government, NPHET and talking heads like O'Neil haven't shown a blind bit of interest in our elderly.

My grandparents are no longer alive, but if they were still alive they would not be put sitting next to an open window. They are family, they would eat with the rest of us. Imagine them getting hypothermia because we thought it would be better to keep the window open.

When we were in level 3, I kept seeing many older men from my area calling into the pub for a few pints. Except they had to sit outside in the freezing cold, just to be able to have a bit of company. If I'm lucky to reach 80, I hope I'm not treated with this level of disregard.

• Advertisement

Sure it can be discussed but what you did was make a statement saying "Ireland is looking at being permanently locked down" and suggest people immigrate.

What do you mean by permanent lockdown? For the next few months or years?

My own opinion is it won't be. I think fingers crossed things will be back to normal summer 2021.

Maybe I should have written 'may be' instead of 'is looking at'. But Hancock in the UK is already talking about mass testing for the cold post-pandemic. What happens over there tends to happen in Ireland as well. There may be flu lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Front page of the Echo looks like Killeen has giving zero covid to another UCC Professor

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2020/11/24/wednesdays-papers-59/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

FrStone wrote: »
    I read Prof Luke O'Neils remarks earlier today about sticking 'grandpa' in front of a wide open window for Christmas dinner.

I've gone through a range of emotions since then. First I laughed at the sheer craziness that someone would suggest it, nevermind in public. Then I just became bemused at the country we live in, imagine a so called public service broadcaster would give this the time of day - it's too far fetched for a tabloid.

Finally anger. The statement gives us a real insight in to how old people are viewed in Ireland. Not respected. Since March our government, NPHET and talking heads like O'Neil haven't shown a blind bit of interest in our elderly.

My grandparents are no longer alive, but if they were still alive they would not be put sitting next to an open window. They are family, they would eat with the rest of us. Imagine them getting hypothermia because we thought it would be better to keep the window open.

When we were in level 3, I kept seeing many older men from my area calling into the pub for a few pints. Except they had to sit outside in the freezing cold, just to be able to have a bit of company. If I'm lucky to reach 80, I hope I'm not treated with this level of disregard.

Perhaps he WAS having regard for them too. How does your solution reduce their risk of them getting Covid19? Definitely, open window talk is daft. But there are no solutions. Can't people not see that yet??

Trust people to make their own decisions and stop obsessing over case numbers.

My fear is that the yo-yo cycle will continue even with a vaccine. The performance of NPHET doesn't reassure me.

You didn’t think bout the questions. Yes we will be going in and out of lockdowns if people don’t get the vaccine.

NPET aren’t the problem the government should have taken steps to mitigate the situation but their incompetent and are using NEPHT to take the flake to cover themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Yes I read an article about this elderly woman and they showed a photo of her last year and this year and the deterioration was frightening from the lifestyle that’s been forced upon them, they are literally like caged animals.

Some are.
    Some are not. I know few old couples who pretty much do not care about this virus. Plenty of friends and family visiting them daily. Folks are out and about shops, doing pretty much everything they did before. I have to say house visits definitely picked up as it seems without pubs, shops and restaurants their friends and family coming more often.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Perhaps he WAS having regard for them too. How does your solution reduce their risk of them getting Covid19? Definitely, open window talk is daft. But there are no solutions. Can't people not see that yet??

They could decide themselves what to do. Lord Sumption said a few months ago that he'd go to the pub in the morning if they were open. He's in his 70s. People should be trusted to make their own decisions instead of being treated like children.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Heckler

FrStone wrote: »

When I read people mentioning the bring your own dinnerware and stick grandpa by the open window I seriously thought people were having a pisstake. To think a Professor said this and RTE published it truly shows the lunacy thats about.

I'll be hugging and eating with my 87 year old mother and family home from abroad. And she won't be sitting at any ****ing open window. Enough is enough with the same people rolled out everyday, Ryan, Staines, O'Niell. they must be loving their new found fame.

Maybe I should have written 'may be' instead of 'is looking at'. But Hancock in the UK is already talking about mass testing for the cold post-pandemic. What happens over there tends to happen in Ireland as well. There may be flu lockdowns.

Even though its not related to anything I asked about Ireland you seem to fall for headlines.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8981739/Matt-Hancock-claims-Tier-Three-restrictions-lockdown-werent-tough-enough.html

"Now Hancock wants mass-testing for the common COLD"

From a non daily mail source:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/24/matt-hancock-wants-to-use-nhs-testing-system-to-fight-flu-after-covid

"Matt Hancock wants to use NHS testing system to fight flu after Covid"

Back to what I asked why do you think Ireland will be in permanent lockdown and how long is permanent for you?

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Some are.
    Some are not. I know few old couples who pretty much do not care about this virus. Plenty of friends and family visiting them daily. Folks are out and about shops, doing pretty much everything they did before. I have to say house visits definitely picked up as it seems without pubs, shops and restaurants their friends and family coming more often.

That's great to hear. It pains me when I see terrified elderly people afraid of their own shadow. They have the wisdom of years of experience and they are throwing it away to submit to Tony's nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Through up a link shur.

I always wanted to ask what exactly does that mean?
    I tried to google it but I do not think you talk about place in this instance.
    "Shur is a location mentioned several times in the Hebrew Bible."
    English is not my first language obviously and I always try to learn new stuff that is why I am asking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement