Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

hynesie08 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0105/1187758-pandemic-unemployment-payment-numbers/

330k on PUP, plus however many are on wage subsidy. 400k wouldn't be too far off imo.

Added to that, a few 10's of thousands more small business', sole traders holding on at a fraction of normal cashflow who don't qualify for wage subsidies or PUP payments.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Easily be half a million or more out of work

We are not far off that already if we include SW recipients. Add another 100k for construction alone plus manufacturing.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    I am resigned to staying at home for 2021

I’m not. I’ll give until March to have meaningful vaccinations done in those they class as vulnerable and after that I’m ignoring any restrictions they continue to have in place. I couldn’t care less about shops being closed but the ban on inter county travel means I can’t see my parents 20 mins out the road from me so that will be over and done with at that stage regardless.

People need to realise the hse was days to being torn up before this. Look at these numbers prior to covid...so what do the experts want??. Its like rowing up stream using a cheese grater and then blaming us when the rapids come in....https://www.inmo.ie/Home/Index/217/13566

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    I am resigned to staying at home for 2021

Wait till you get a load of the weather they are predicting in a week or two. Another Beast from the East they reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭HBC08

Is this thread still a thing?

I’m not. I’ll give until March to have meaningful vaccinations done in those they class as vulnerable and after that I’m ignoring any restrictions they continue to have in place. I couldn’t care less about shops being closed but the ban on inter county travel means I can’t see my parents 20 mins out the road from me so that will be over and done with at that stage regardless.

They might have nursing home s and a few HCW done by that time. I can't see any lifting before Easter. Too many bank holiday weekend in March and April. That would drive Tony's worrymeter through the roof.

HBC08 wrote: »

No, it's just a figment of your imagination :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Likely it will be until the cold season passes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Likely admitted to hospital for another ailment

Tested positive on arrival

It’s getting to the stage where you need to start asking are the people in hospital sick with Covid or something else

Nope this is infection acquired in hospital.
    Anybody being admitted to hospital for any ailment is tested and if positive is counted as a covid admission.

There's another post on the main thread which highlights this- relative in Hospital for 8 weeks, was improving after 5 weeks but caught covid at this point, deteriorated and passed away (RIP).
    That's what's really happening with these numbers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,478 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yeah we simply cant afford another long full lockdown on a number of grounds including Economic,Employment and Mental Health

Like a number of people i've hard important appointments (To get a Autism diagnosis) cancelled and rescheduled then repeat again. Its very stressful and tiresome. Also out of work adding the stress of that too

I want to be able to live my life by the summer and beyond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

There's an unfollow button above. Do us all a favour and click it.

JRant wrote: »
    They might have nursing home s and a few HCW done by that time. I can't see any lifting before Easter. Too many bank holiday weekend in March and April. That would drive Tony's worrymeter through the roof.

That’s the problem - this isn’t the Tony Holohan show no matter how much he thinks it is. He can be concerned to the moon and back for all I care past March, that’s the line I’m drawing in the sand for compliance with anything NPHET says.

That'll be the long game from now on. Next hospital trolley "crisis", lock her down and take in the roads.

100%. This time last year in the second week in january there were 609 hospital admissions with flu..to hospital..in one week.. there were 107 outbreaks of respiratory diseases 97 of the outbreaks were in care homes. https://www-irishexaminer-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30975933.html?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&type=amp&usqp=mq331AQHKAFQArABIA%3D%3D#aoh=16098745594851&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishexaminer.com%2Fnews%2Farid-30975933.html

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Anybody presenting to hospital for any ailment is tested and if positive is counted as a covid admission.

Yeah, that's not true.

If you have an elective procedure you are tested before you get admitted and if you test positive you don't get admitted (obviously).

No testing for clinics or outpatient appointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Will we be at anything less than level 5 by Easter?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Gael23 wrote: »

I should hope so! That's 4th of April.

Gael23 wrote: »

Probably not but I’d guess by then a large percentage of the population will be in non compliance. The government take us all for mugs and that we will just blindly nod along with whatever they say. Anything past mid February is asking for trouble, anything past the end of February is getting rightly ****ed out of the window.

Boggles wrote: »
    Yeah, that's not true.

If you have an elective procedure you are tested before you get admitted and if you test positive you don't get admitted (obviously).

No testing for clinics or outpatient appointments.

Yes I know that and my post doesn't say otherwise.

I'm not talking about elective surgeries here, People still present to hospital and have to be admitted for care. Some of this test positive for Covid even though that's not the reason for going. They are treated as a covid admission.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i dont think anything will reopen til sept 2021, no gigs, no euro 2021 games for dublin with crowds, we will be the laughing stock of europe, every one else will be out and getting on with life and we will still jerk from level 4-5-4-5 all summer.

• Advertisement

Yes I know that and my post doesn't say otherwise.

I'm not talking about elective surgeries here, People still present to hospital and have to be admitted for care. Some of this test positive for Covid even though that's not the reason for going. They are treated as a covid admission.

You need to read your own post again.
    Anybody presenting to hospital for any ailment is tested

• Registered Users Posts: 38,478 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i dont think anything will reopen til sept 2021, no gigs, no euro 2021 games for dublin with crowds, we will be the laughing stock of europe, every one else will be out and getting on with life and we will still jerk from level 4-5-4-5 all summer.

If so then serious questions need to be asked but we all know they wont and NPHET/Dr Tony/Leo/MM etc will be the heroes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Do you read your posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I've long given up trying to make sense of the numbers. At this stage they just throw out any aul numbers they want.

Absolutely. The way Paul Reid is blathering about positive rates makes me wonder if he understands the concept at all.
    Testing's collapsed again, they've given up on testing close contacts, they're talking about not even testing people who probably have it.
    They're only testing people with multiple symptoms. If you only test the people you've pre-filtered as being the most likely people to have it, then it's blindingly obvious your positivity rate will go through the roof.

He tweeted something else a couple of weeks ago that similarly seemed to fail to make a connection between reducing the testing scope and a resulting increase in positive rates. Only in that one he also used some weird term that literally nobody else has used to describe positive test rates.

Apologies Bogles, well spotted.
    It should have said, 'anyone being admitted to hospital for any ailment is tested'.

Edited now.
    Thanks for keeping my posts accurate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭HBC08

No, it's just a figment of your imagination :)

I'll have to stop eating cheese before I go to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

What an edgelord.

MOH wrote: »
    Absolutely. The way Paul Reid is blathering about positive rates makes me wonder if he understands the concept at all.
    Testing's collapsed again, they've given up on testing close contacts, they're talking about not even testing people who probably have it.
    They're only testing people with multiple symptoms. If you only test the people you've pre-filtered as being the most likely people to have it, then it's blindingly obvious your positivity rate will go through the roof.

He tweeted something else a couple of weeks ago that similarly seemed to fail to make a connection between reducing the testing scope and a resulting increase in positive rates. Only in that one he also used some weird term that literally nobody else has used to describe positive test rates.

161,016 tests in the past 7 days - a record by some margin AFAIK, 20.8% positive rate.

There is no good way to spin that lad.

rusty cole wrote: »
    People need to realise the hse was days to being torn up before this. Look at these numbers prior to covid...so what do the experts want??. Its like rowing up stream using a cheese grater and then blaming us when the rapids come in....https://www.inmo.ie/Home/Index/217/13566

Scary stuff alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

PTH2009 wrote: »
    If so then serious questions need to be asked but we all know they wont and NPHET/Dr Tony/Leo/MM etc will be the heroes

Not all heroes wear capes

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement