Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

acequion wrote: »
    I suggest you take your obvious hatred of teachers somewhere else because this thread is not the place. Your remarks are extremely ignorant and you clearly just want to find a scapegoat.

My remarks are factual, I don't hate teachers, and I'm not looking for a scapegoat. The reality is a large majority of them are delighted to be off work on full pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

.... i mean,yes? the relaxing over christmas was always going to be a mistake, give a large number of people in this country an inch and they take much more than a mile

It will slowed down the rollout of the vaccine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,966 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Or give them a good excuse for the slow-down of the roll-out.

How so?
    There are 5M people waiting to be vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭uli84

GazzaL wrote: »
    My remarks are factual, I don't hate teachers, and I'm not looking for a scapegoat. The reality is a large majority of them are delighted to be off work on full pay.

Absolutely, like who wouldn’t be? I would :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭facehugger99

it should be all construction or none

It should be none.

How many clusters of Covid have ben attributed to Construction activities, how many as a result of hairdressers or non-essential retail?

Where is the justification in putting hundreds of thousands of workers onto a PUP payment and compromising the viability of thousands of small businesses? We ran an exchequer deficit of over €20bn last year from what was expected to be a surplus at the start of the year - 2021 could be even worse. The long-term cost of this will result in far more damage to health services and worse outcomes for thousands of people. These stats will never make it to the 6pm daily angelus of misery and hysteria presided over by NPHET.

Meanwhile, I know of a nurse who contacted Covid in hospital just before Christmas and promptly spread it to her entire family and in-laws - none of them had anything beyond the mildest of symptoms. I'd love to know how these people are being tabulated up in the stats - probably they're being counted as 'community transmissions' and being used as a quasi-justification to close down huge swades of the hospitality and retail sectors again.

The baying mob cheering all this on think they are well-protected from the effects of this madness. It is the young and low-paid that are bearing the brunt of these decisions. It is the children of disadvantaged parents who will suffer the most from the lack of education. It is the SMEs and self-employed that are being scapegoated for the systemic failings of the HSE.

The most nauseating part will be having to listen to the Covid-cheerleaders over the next few years moan that they were never told about the costs as our taxes are raised and services cut. They'll be like the lads from the previous recession that complained nobody ever told them that borrowing €700k for a semi-d in Clondalkin wasn't a smart move.

I’m reading a lot of posts on here and social media etc saying “Stay safe everyone” and things like that...

Perfectly healthy young people... I feel tempted to comment and remind them that less than 50 people under 65 have died in half a year. And even those that did had underlying health issues.

The main demographic dying from this remains people above life expectancy age that are already in poor health.

The hospital figures are no longer reliable either. It’s mainly people that have caught Covid in hospital. How many are actually sick?

I don’t know why but it just does my head in that people think we are in such danger. You’d swear the country was surrounded by enemy ships and an air strike was due any minute.

Some people can look beyond their own self interest believe it or not.
    And the details on the numbers who have caught covid in a hospital is readily available and published weekly. For last week it was 101. This includes staff.

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/surveillance/covid-19outbreaksclustersinireland/COVID-19%20Weekly%20Outbreak%20Report_Week532020_v1.0_04012021_WebVersion.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 18,137 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I’m reading a lot of posts on here and social media etc saying “Stay safe everyone” and things like that...

Perfectly healthy young people... I feel tempted to comment and remind them that less than 50 people under 65 have died in half a year. And even those that did had underlying health issues.

The main demographic dying from this remains people above life expectancy age that are already in poor health.

The hospital figures are no longer reliable either. It’s mainly people that have caught Covid in hospital. How many are actually sick?

I don’t know why but it just does my head in that people think we are in such danger. You’d swear the country was surrounded by enemy ships and an air strike was due any minute.

It all comes down to, if our health system is over run with Covid hospitalizations our non-covid care collapses. If an ambulance is needed for a road traffic accident and is instead tending to an 80 year old man with covid. That is what we are trying to avoid. I get your point, perfectly healthy people in fear of this is strange.

Or give them a good excuse for the slow-down of the roll-out.

Do ye ever stop to ask yourselves why? Why would "they" want to slow down the vaccine rollout? Why would the government want to shut down sections of the economy? Why would NPHET want to artificially inflate numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,232 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Do ye ever stop to ask yourselves why? Why would "they" want to slow down the vaccine rollout? Why would the government want to shut down sections of the economy? Why would NPHET want to artificially inflate numbers?

Tony wants to ban alcohol outright.

Apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

rob316 wrote: »
    I get your point, perfectly healthy people in fear of this is strange.

Have to disagree, a might not kill younger/healthy people but it can still do serious damage and have lasting effects. a junior doctor i know got it while working and said it was terrifying how much it affected him, he basically said he made peace with dying. this is from a very fit, healthy, sporty young man.

Boggles wrote: »
    Tony wants to ban alcohol outright.

Apparently.

again, why would they want to?

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Have to disagree, a might not kill younger/healthy people but it can still do serious damage and have lasting effects. a junior doctor i know got it while working and said it was terrifying how much it affected him, he basically said he made peace with dying. this is from a very fit, healthy, sporty young man.

I’m a bit sceptical of the long Covid numbers. The media seem to jump on anybody that is showing any sign of long Covid but yet we only seem to get the odd one here and there you would imagine by now it would be all over the news and the numbers would be huge worldwide this has been in circulation for at least 12months now.

Maybe I’m wrong and it will start to become a huge problem in the next 12 but I hope and think it’s not a common as people think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Hooked

Absolutely Spot on!

Anyone I know who contracted Covid over Xmas (my own very overweight brother included) had little to no symptoms and are back at work as I type.

Sure, protect the most at risk - but let the rest of us get on with living our bloody lives!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

GazzaL wrote: »

Jesus but your remarks are about as factual as a report of a flying pig! Go and inform yourself before embarrassing yourself with ignornant rubbish.
    1."off work on full pay" Education has gone online. Teachers work full time from home when schools are forced to shut.You must really be on planet ignoramus land if you dont realise that.The online provision of education is far from ideal and is not nationally synchronised but Im not getting into that here.
    2 "a large majority of them are delighted"Somehow I doubt you know a large majority of the country's teachers.But as one Id know a lot more than you. And "the reality" is that they hate trying to juggle their own child care with trying to teach fulltime on line, with as I already said, far from ideal provisions and guidelines. But theyr doing their best and are accountable to their school managers and parents, not to mention to their students.

You most certainly are scapegoating.It's offensive and unhelpful and contributes NOTHING to the debate on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

It does your head in because you know there is no end in sight to this. As I and others have said before this is a social media pandemic. It’s so ****ing easy for these people to pause Netflix post some vacuous drivel on Facebook sit back and await all the likes and “omg so true” replies from their fellow hashtag hunzo brigade. In their minds they’ve contributed to “fighting this deadly disease” etc but in reality they have done ****ing nothing. I said before on here that unfortunately the only thing that will take COVID off the headlines is something on the scale of 9/11. And THAT scares the **** out of me.

Hooked wrote: »
    Absolutely Spot on!

Anyone I know who contracted Covid over Xmas (my own very overweight brother included) had little to no symptoms and are back at work as I type.

Sure, protect the most at risk - but let the rest of us get on with living our bloody lives!

that's all fine, except there are numerous examples of healthy/ young people having serious difficulties after contracting covid. i thought we largely abandoned the 'if i can't see it well then it doesn't exist' way of thinking a long time ago

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Of course they don’t want to, who thinks they do? Shutdowns and slowdowns are solely a result of complete ineptitude.

Restrictions have been the only tool in the bag for ten months.

NPHET may not be artificially inflating numbers but their reporting process has been selective throughout, and government has allowed numbers to be presented to the public in such a way as to create maximum compliance through fear.

Any interruption to already mishandled rollout of vaccine other than incompetence will be seized upon as the only reason for slowdown of rollout.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

It does your head in because you know there is no end in sight to this. As I and others have said before this is a social media pandemic. It’s so ****ing easy for these people to pause Netflix post some vacuous drivel on Facebook sit back and await all the likes and “omg so true” replies from their fellow hashtag hunzo brigade. In their minds they’ve contributed to “fighting this deadly disease” etc but in reality they have done ****ing nothing. I said before on here that unfortunately the only thing that will take COVID off the headlines is something on the scale of 9/11. And THAT scares the **** out of me.

Thats the rub of it. And unfortunately social media is very pervasive in influencing govt policy. If more people want curfews well then give them what they want. It is astounding what people have succumbed to in the last 9 months. This is also driven by RTE who effectively were calling for construction to shut up shop and question how sites can work risk free. They will be the first to do RTE investigate programmes about private landlords exploiting people by putting 10 people in 1 room or bemoan the level of homelessness etc. A classic in the genre of hunting with the hares and running with the hounds. It is sad to see what is unfolding in front of our eyes.

Agreed if there is one thing I realized through all this, social media is absolute poison and I've deleted a few of the apps off my phone.

• Advertisement

that's all fine, except there are numerous examples of healthy/ young people having serious difficulties after contracting covid. i thought we largely abandoned the 'if i can't see it well then it doesn't exist' way of thinking a long time ago

Its uncommon enough though, the more than vast majority will be absolutely fine. Saying that I bumped into an old school friend over xmas and he was telling me he got Covid 6 months ago and still hasn't got back his sense of taste :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

He is out of control, a modern day little hitler.

That’s a scandalous comment

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭facehugger99

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    That’s a scandalous comment

He may not be Hitler but I find him odious.

He has presided over a litany of failures that in any other country would see him removed from any position of influence. He has now hitched his wagon to the Covid train as his own personal shot at public redemption.

He has consistently hyped up the dangers of Covid to better portray himself as the hero who will defeat this menace.

I've said it before but 50 years ago, Holohan would be a bishop pontificating on why we can't have access to contraceptives. There is the air of a religious zealot about him and his social-media acolytes venerate him like some weird cult leader.

I sincerely hope we never hear tell of him again after this year. He has consistently tried to manipulate the situation to his own personal advantage. He has cost the State billions by using the media to apply pressure to the weakest Government and set of politicians Ireland has ever been saddled with. He has (and will have) undoubtedly contributed to the early deaths of many.

This being Ireland, we'll probably build a statue to him or elect him president in a few years.

rob316 wrote: »
    Its uncommon enough though, the more than vast majority will be absolutely fine. Saying that I bumped into an old school friend over xmas and he was telling me he got Covid 6 months ago and still hasn't got back his sense of taste :eek:

uncommon absolutely, but as the numbers of cases rise then im guessing the percentage of serious cases will remain in accordance with that, im presuming the health system will not be able to meet these demands. yes, theres a decent chance if you get covid you'll be okay once you don't have underlying health issues, but that doesn't mean there isn't a need for vigilance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

He has presided over a litany of failures that in any other country would see him removed from any position of influence. He has now hitched his wagon to the Covid train as his own personal shot at public redemption.

He has consistently hyped up the dangers of Covid to better portray himself as the hero who will defeat this menace.

I've said it before but 50 years ago, Holohan would be a bishop pontificating on why we can't have access to contraceptives. There is the air of a religious zealot about him and his social-media acolytes venerate him like some weird cult leader.

I sincerely hope we never hear tell of him again after this year. He has consistently tried to manipulate the situation to his own personal advantage. He has cost the State billions by using the media to apply pressure to the weakest Government and set of politicians Ireland has ever been saddled with. He has (and will have) undoubtedly contributed to the early deaths of many.

This being Ireland, we'll probably build a statue to him or elect him president in a few years.

The only thing is, it's not just Ireland adopting these restrictions. Not saying it negates what you said, maybe Europe is full of megalomaniac Health Ministers looking for their moment in the sun, but the situation is not unique to Ireland.

On the flipside, we all have our own prescriptions for problems and those prescriptions will be distorted by our biases.

yes and very fit and healthy athletes die of SADS all the time, this is not uncommon. we're all human and unique which means our immune system can go against us creating mass inflammation and even shut down organs to try save itself..This biological counter strike can kill the patient but it's rare and may be what happened to your friend who I hope is ok.

The fear is in the not knowing but that reaction is very rare according to Doctors.
    I got off the phone moment ago to a friend in the UK, he and his wife and 2 kids have it. nothing more than mild loss of smell and a head ache for all. They live in Manchester.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

I'd be happy to have him as president as it would mean he would be effectively rendered useless and it would be purely a ceremonial role.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭acequion

The only thing is, it's not just Ireland adopting these restrictions. Not saying it negates what you said, maybe Europe is full of megalomaniac Health Ministers looking for their moment in the sun, but the situation is not unique to Ireland.

On the flipside, we all have our own prescriptions for problems and those prescriptions will be distorted by our biases.

The situation is not unique to Ireland, no, but Ireland is always the worst place to be during difficult times. The Catholic fundamentalist era which dominated the greater part of the 20th Century had Ireland very firmly in its zealous clutches. Recent recessions, especially the most recent, hit Ireland extremely hard, more so than many other countries and mainly due to the ineptitude of our political leaders. And now is no different. Other countries have tried different approaches to controlling their numbers only reverting to the nuclear option when totally necessary. Ireland goes nuclear at the smallest signs of increase and the non stop hysteria and fear mongering here has been nowhere near as bad elsewhere.

So I agree with facehugger99. I am starting to get seriously alarmed at this point at the extent of the collateral damage this will cause on the wider society. The likes of Holohan and MM have only one agenda and have showed almost total disregard to any requests for balance in their approach. And they won't pay the heavy price that others will.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,232 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So the CMO is either Hitler or a 1970's Bishop?

All perfectly sane discourse today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Social housing construction will continue while those paying for the free social housing, have their house building stopped. Typical of this banana republic!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement