Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

He may not be Hitler but I find him odious.

He has presided over a litany of failures that in any other country would see him removed from any position of influence. He has now hitched his wagon to the Covid train as his own personal shot at public redemption.

He has consistently hyped up the dangers of Covid to better portray himself as the hero who will defeat this menace.

I've said it before but 50 years ago, Holohan would be a bishop pontificating on why we can't have access to contraceptives. There is the air of a religious zealot about him and his social-media acolytes venerate him like some weird cult leader.

I sincerely hope we never hear tell of him again after this year. He has consistently tried to manipulate the situation to his own personal advantage. He has cost the State billions by using the media to apply pressure to the weakest Government and set of politicians Ireland has ever been saddled with. He has (and will have) undoubtedly contributed to the early deaths of many.

This being Ireland, we'll probably build a statue to him or elect him president in a few years.

What 'personal advantage' has he gotten from this?

Tony had already “****ed off into the sunset” remember? But then a very short time later he kicked in the door, swaggered in like John Wayne and told everybody that the sheriff was back and how ****ing stupid and bold we all were. Remember that? .

He took some leave to deal with the matter of his wife being in palliative care in a hospice btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Bit like all year in Ireland really

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Where did you hear this?

That would be absolute madness IMO.

Varadkar said earlier something to that effect

Bit like all year in Ireland really

When has Ireland had zero ICU capacity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Quick question.

We keep being told that this is the most dangerous situation we have ever been in.

And if some parents of leaving cert kids are concerned in this time of unprecedented danger for the health of their son or daughter in being out and about mingling with others etc there is no provision for them at all other than go to school for 3 days or fall behind.

Literally in apparently the most dangerous time of our lifetime kids are being forced in to schools!

Talked about mixed messaging, is it any wonder public buy in is weaning.

Is this actually a serious situation or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

When has Ireland had zero ICU capacity?

Never.

But neither has Sweden. “One hospital reports”

Our cancer screening was cancelled for months.

Someone will surely be charged with manslaughter.

The sunk cost of lockdown is incredibly evident but constantly ignored

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

So removing click and collect is reminiscent of the €9 meal absurdity. They seem to be allowing alledged essential retail remain open and essential construction sites. I can see the sign makers doing a roaring trade with "new hospital development" signs popping up at every construction site in the country.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Listening to Norma Foley on rte radio 1....is she capable of giving a straight yes or no answer to any question?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Have to disagree, a might not kill younger/healthy people but it can still do serious damage and have lasting effects. a junior doctor i know got it while working and said it was terrifying how much it affected him, he basically said he made peace with dying. this is from a very fit, healthy, sporty young man.

Does literally everyone on Boards who are pro lockdown know a young person who got it and has a scare story??

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    Listening to Norma Foley on rte radio 1....is she capable of giving a straight yes or no answer to any question?!?

Of course not and it's actually amazing she's appearing anywhere, her appearances and statements as rare as hen's teeth.

What 'personal advantage' has he gotten from this?

whether its "personal" or not I'd say Tony Holohan is on a crusade to redeem him name after his balls up of the Cervical Screening debacle. He wants that forgotten, brushed under the carpet, he wants to go in a blaze of glory, Late Late Show interviews, statues, books, gigantic murals on the walls of pubs .......(if that wasn't ironic !)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,552 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

after his balls up of the Cervical Screening debacle.

Do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭doxy79

Anything on manufacturing closing? I'm working in a factory that's far from essential but will remain open unless told to close, several post xmas positives already. It's only a matter of time before we all get it here.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,552 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

doxy79 wrote: »
    Anything on manufacturing closing? I'm working in a factory that's far from essential but will remain open unless told to close, several post xmas positives already. It's only a matter of time before we all get it here.
    See here
    Manufacturing
    The following services relating to manufacturing:

the manufacture, production or processing of food and beverage products
    the manufacture, production or processing of animal feeds
    the manufacture of work-wear apparel, personal protective equipment or footwear
    the manufacture of wood pulp, paper and paperboard
    the operation of sawmills and the processing of wood and cork
    the printing and reproduction of newspapers and other media services
    the distillation of coke and refined petroleum products
    the refining of alumina
    the manufacture of chemicals and chemical products
    the manufacture of pharmaceutical products and preparations
    the manufacture of products necessary for the supply chain of essential services
    the manufacture of products necessary for national and international supply chains, other than the supply chain of essential services
    the manufacture of computers, electronic and optical products (including semi-conductors)
    the manufacture of electrical equipment, machinery and other equipment (including agricultural and forestry machinery)
    the manufacture of medical devices or appliances
    the manufacture of medicinal, health, dental and other personal hygiene products, equipment, appliances and supplies

George Lee on RTE now, of "todays 7836+ cases today,

over 1000 where at/over Xmas already reported!!! WTF!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Of course not and it's actually amazing she's appearing anywhere, her appearances and statements as rare as hen's teeth.

I like Norma, she’s done her best to keep schools open against the wave of hysteria from Professors, media, and Irish mammies galore. Even letting the Leaving Certs in for 3 days a week seems to have some people losing the plot, instead of saying good idea?!
    Speaking of hysterical - George Lee is out in the news...does he report on anything science related or should his official title be changed to ‘Concerned’ Covid Reporter...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/c9158-essential-services/

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/3bd76-essential-workers-at-level-5/

Whats the difference between these lists?
    In one it says motor industry can open and the other there is no mention of it?

doxy79 wrote: »

Not a mention of it, only banning click and collect from non essential retail. Quite bizzare, I've a friend working in a network mobile phobe shop, handful of customers all day, looking to change F******* address, pay a bill, how do I send a what's app message, you couldn't make it up, essential retail Mehole

the kelt wrote: »
    Quick question.

We keep being told that this is the most dangerous situation we have ever been in.

And if some parents of leaving cert kids are concerned in this time of unprecedented danger for the health of their son or daughter in being out and about mingling with others etc there is no provision for them at all other than go to school for 3 days or fall behind.

Literally in apparently the most dangerous time of our lifetime kids are being forced in to schools!

Talked about mixed messaging, is it any wonder public buy in is weaning.

Is this actually a serious situation or what?

I watched the press conference. They said that schools are considered safe. I’m sure this is assuming test & trace is running as it was & all safety procedures put in place could function.
    It is possible to have Leaving Certs in safely 3 days a week as per NPHET press conference Monday & the rate of infection in young children and teenagers compared to the general population.
    I would be looking for guarantees of priority testing for pupil and staff if this goes ahead, and it should in my opinion.
    The Government line is schools are closed as part of a wider societal response to curb these high numbers, limiting people’s movement and not because they themselves were an issue which I would agree with.

• Advertisement

I like Norma, she’s done her best to keep schools open against the wave of hysteria from Professors, media, and Irish mammies galore. Even letting the Leaving Certs in for 3 days a week seems to have some people losing the plot, instead of saying good idea?!
    Speaking of hysterical - George Lee is out in the news...does he report on anything science related or should his official title be changed to ‘Concerned’ Covid Reporter...

Political science is a soft science but in a room full of numptys posing for selfies at RTE, the failed politician de jour is first with his hand up. Sire we are lucky he failed, what balance would you expect from a crank like him and his dyed hair ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭RamonD3

Hellrazer wrote: »
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/c9158-essential-services/

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/3bd76-essential-workers-at-level-5/

Whats the difference between these lists?
    In one it says motor industry can open and the other there is no mention of it?

Second one looks more akin to the first lockdown last year, is the essential workers one designed to sync in with the childcare providers maybe

I watched the press conference. They said that schools are considered safe. I’m sure this is assuming test & trace is running as it was & all safety procedures put in place could function.
    It is possible to have Leaving Certs in safely 3 days a week as per NPHET press conference Monday & the rate of infection in young children and teenagers compared to the general population.
    I would be looking for guarantees of priority testing for pupil and staff if this goes ahead, and it should in my opinion.
    The Government line is schools are closed as part of a wider societal response to curb these high numbers, limiting people’s movement and not because they themselves were an issue which I would agree with.

Well how is it then that this is so dangerous now because of this new variant from the uk but the safety of the schools is based on data from October/November ie prior to the new more deadly strain and also at a time when proper contact tracing was in place (well when I say proper at least it was being done)

So they haven’t a clue how safe schools are with the new strain cos they have zero data to back it up.

They can’t have it every way, trying to blame the current numbers on the new strain from the uk, couldn’t have foreseen that etc then claim schools are grand based on apparently being ok with the old strain!

the kelt wrote: »
    Well how is it then that this is so dangerous now because of this new variant from the uk but the safety of the schools is based on data from October/November ie prior to the new more deadly strain and also at a time when proper contact tracing was in place (well when I say proper at least it was being done)

So they haven’t a clue how safe schools are with the new strain cos they have zero data to back it up.

They can’t have it every way, trying to blame the current numbers on the new strain from the uk, couldn’t have foreseen that etc then claim schools are grand based on apparently being ok with the old strain!

Not true, they were using the current infection numbers which were most likely a lot of new variant cases. The fact is even Philip Nolan’s own model projections which also over estimated growth by a sizeable amount previously have been left for dust. Presence of the new variant is also obvious in the rate of hospitalisations and the speed at which they’re occurring. Not to mention we’ve been in Level 5 since New Year’s Eve. Schools have been closed in Dec 22nd and none of these measures have curbed the spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I thought Enda and Leo were bad. Along came Micheal..

Listening to him on the 6.1 there and it's obvious the guy is completely out of his depth and can't answer even the simplest of questions (especially as RTE are never going to take him to task anyway).

I somehow doubt many are listening to his rambling, stumbling waffling that is supposed to get everyone on-board with the decisions again.

He made the point that the leaving cert students are a small number in the overall school going population and so it's fine for them to continue to go to school. Amazing how we are locking down the country again then based on even smaller percentages.

Not true, they were using the current infection numbers which were most likely a lot of new variant cases. The fact is even Philip Nolan’s own model projections which also over estimated growth by a sizeable amount previously have been left for dust. Presence of the new variant is also obvious in the rate of hospitalisations and the speed at which they’re occurring. Not to mention we’ve been in Level 5 since New Year’s Eve. Schools have been closed in Dec 22nd and none of these measures have curbed the spread.

So they have no data to back up how safe schools are in regards to this new strain because they haven’t been open. Oh and throw in the 40% reduction in funding for safety equipment sanitiser etc on top of it for the craic.

Basically your saying none of the measures since New Years even have curbed the spread but sending 60k plus kids back to school that haven’t been since dec 22 will be grand.

It’s like saying the sink is overflowing there, we are struggling to stop it overflowing but turn on another tap there, be grand!

They haven’t a clue!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

whether its "personal" or not I'd say Tony Holohan is on a crusade to redeem him name after his balls up of the Cervical Screening debacle. He wants that forgotten, brushed under the carpet, he wants to go in a blaze of glory, Late Late Show interviews, statues, books, gigantic murals on the walls of pubs .......(if that wasn't ironic !)

Absolute nonsense of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭facehugger99

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    Absolute nonsense of the highest order.

Great rebuttal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

gmisk wrote: »

Of course not, she's a politician after all :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

He took some leave to deal with the matter of his wife being in palliative care in a hospice btw.

I know why he took time off. That wasn’t the point being made as you well know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement