Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,232 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

rusty cole wrote: »
    I suppose when all is said an done, if Sweden keep ignoring lockdown, we'll have the answer, history will tell the tale so. They went the opposite way to the world narrative so that will be interesting whatever the result in the end.

Sweden are not ignoring restrictions.

Also the King has all ready declared they fúcked it, he isn't waiting for history.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

rusty cole wrote: »
    I suppose when all is said an done, if Sweden keep ignoring lockdown, we'll have the answer, history will tell the tale so. They went the opposite way to the world narrative so that will be interesting whatever the result in the end.

I remember a prominent Swedish scientist saying last April that a year from then, most countries will show the end result is the same lockdown or not, the difference will be those that didn't will have an economy.

I'll try get the video or interview, I thought it was bold statement myself.

Sweden changed approach a while back. They have a ban on public gatherings of 8 people or more. Education for over 16s is online; they've closed non-essential public services (e.g. swimming pools and libraries). Bars and restaurants are limited to groups of 4 and can't serve alcohol after 8pm.

Less stringent than many, but they abandoned their initial approach which both the King, Prime Minister and CMO said failed.

Ireland copied the world last March, then went on a solo run for months with absolutely little reprieve for citizens.

If you had "little reprieve" that was a personal choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭josip

trixi001 wrote: »
    And this is why we lockdowns are wrong

https://joynews.co.za/tragic-canadian-woman-euthanized-because-of-her-loneliness/

IF one elderly woman was willing to go to these lengths, just think how many suicides there have been too..

Lockdowns create a massive problem, and ignoring this is just increasing the problem, something needs to be done to reverse the negative effects of the lockdown - announce something positive - an extra weeks bank holiday post covid or something - give people something to look forward too - not more doom and gloom!

https://joynews.co.za/about/

JOY! News is a Christian news portal that seeks to educate and inform believers of news and current events from a Christian perspective, furthering the Biblical worldview.
    Our only goal is to do whatever we can to further the Lord’s Kingdom here on earth by educating and informing Christians of a Biblical worldview.

JHFC people, have we entirely lost the ability for critical review and analysis of sources before posting?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,601 ✭✭✭Penfailed

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    It's only doom and gloom if you let it. 2020 had a lot of great things for me personally.

Careful now. You'll be accused of not giving a shíte about those who struggled during the year.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement

Seriously, try harder or don’t try at all.

Well it seems to be the prevailing opinion on here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Boggles wrote: »
    Sweden are not ignoring restrictions.

Also the King has all ready declared they fúcked it, he isn't waiting for history.

Perhaps the most humorous part of all this is the people posters quote to back up an argument

The King of Sweden realistically knows jack **** about the correct approach and is taking the populist route. If he had any intelligence he would use the excess death argument to back up Sweden’s approach

If Michael D Higgins said in the morning restrictions are unconstitutional his credentials would immediately be questioned

If you had "little reprieve" that was a personal choice.

Ah come now.

Your being deliberately obtuse

I’m sure however that many had no intrusion on their limited social lives and would happily live out their lives in front of the television

But not everyone is like so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Not remotely possible you mean.

That reminds me where did the "Herd Immunity" nuts go that were peddling their scutter during the summer.

Seem very quiet now.

No, l meant palatable. As for herd immunity, that has to be achieved by either the vaccine or by the recovering from COVID and having antibodies.

all bickering aside,

this is worth a listen, it seems very genuine, anyone on this thread with clout heard of or know about this stuff?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq8SXOBy-4w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLWQtT7dHGE

• Advertisement

Perhaps the most humorous part of all this is the people posters quote to back up an argument

The King of Sweden realistically knows jack **** about the correct approach and is taking the populist route. If he had any intelligence he would use the excess death argument to back up Sweden’s approach

If Michael D Higgins said in the morning restrictions are unconstitutional his credentials would immediately be questioned

About the same as your sources then

The King of Sweden realistically knows jack **** about the correct approach

I am sure he is pretty well resourced and he actually lives there.

But an Irish lad named Fintan ranting and raving from his bedroom knows more.

Seems legit.

I am sure he is pretty well resourced and he actually lives there.

But an Irish lad named Fintan ranting and raving from his bedroom knows more.

Seems legit.

The irony of course is you are on this same anonymous online forum ranting and raving from your bedroom.

Ah come now.

Your being deliberately obtuse

I’m sure however that many had no intrusion on their limited social lives and would happily live out their lives in front of the television

But not everyone is like so

I'd imagine you are quite the party animal Fintan.

:)

trixi001 wrote: »
    And this is why we lockdowns are wrong

https://joynews.co.za/tragic-canadian-woman-euthanized-because-of-her-loneliness/

IF one elderly woman was willing to go to these lengths, just think how many suicides there have been too..

Lockdowns create a massive problem, and ignoring this is just increasing the problem, something needs to be done to reverse the negative effects of the lockdown - announce something positive - an extra weeks bank holiday post covid or something - give people something to look forward too - not more doom and gloom!

I'd say even God is facepalming at those loons.

Where do people find this shíté?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Whats the crack with Florida? I heard some mutterings that theyre not too bad despite not locking down much

• Registered Users Posts: 43 johnboy1298

Dubai seems relatively unrestricted aswell and doing ok.. I definitely think that living with the virus was totally forgotten in Ireland and that has really left people to decide themselves how to get on with life.. The difference in death rates and case rates between countries with strict lockdowns and countries without strict lockdowns is narrowing if anything.

It's very possible to argue that opening more in summer may have allowed more people to contract the virus (over a prolonged and traditionally quiet spell in hospitals) rather than overdoing restrictions when zero corona wasn't possible at the time anyway. This in some ways created a perfect set up for a surge further down the line and this is the busiest time of year in the hospitals normally anyway which only worsens the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

You had said the vaccines aren’t a silver bullet though, are you happy to continue with restrictions each Winter/Spring?

The lockdown is completely nuclear. I can’t see the justification for gyms to be forced to shut?

It’s likely the cases were naturally dropping before the latest measures were announced yesterday. But of course like last October they gradually reached the nuclear restriction level without any data to quantify the effectiveness of previous less destructive levels of restrictions implemented shortly before.

And of course we are still ignoring the sunk cost of restrictions

There is monumental side effects of what will have done for 10 months and will likely continue until April.

I think no one knows as yet if there will be further restrictions in the future. If they've to reintroduce restrictions while they have to adjust a vaccine I could live that. That's assuming they can be altered and it isn't dangerous to give them multiple times. The reason I don't think vaccines will be a silver bullet is Covid has mutated twice with the UK and South African variant already this Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Whats the crack with Florida? I heard some mutterings that theyre not too bad despite not locking down much

Well they arent overwhelmed which is supposed to be the point of lockdowns. And they've been fully open for months now. Thousands are moving there by the week too to escape the more restrictive states.

The opposite is the case with California, locked down for coming up to year now but the highest case rate in the country and struggling hospitals. People are leaving there by the thousands. Its nearly impossible to buy a reasonably priced house in my city right now with buyers from California snapping them up with cash the same day they go on the market. But we're supposed to believe its only fringe groups and crazies who dont agree with lockdowns? Oh and nazis now of course (its the same well used tactics as with everything else). Must be alot of them in California despite its liberal reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Dubai seems relatively unrestricted aswell and doing ok.. I definitely think that living with the virus was totally forgotten in Ireland and that has really left people to decide themselves how to get on with life.. The difference in death rates and case rates between countries with strict lockdowns and countries without strict lockdowns is narrowing if anything.

It's very possible to argue that opening more in summer may have allowed more people to contract the virus (over a prolonged and traditionally quiet spell in hospitals) rather than overdoing restrictions when zero corona wasn't possible at the time anyway. This in some ways created a perfect set up for a surge further down the line and this is the busiest time of year in the hospitals normally anyway which only worsens the whole thing.

Go look up how the Arab Islands are doing it, very strict and proper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,477 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wait til Joe on work experience mistakly turns off one of the fridges full of vaccines

As I posted yesterday, PUP runs until at least 31st March.

Leo now saying business that are closed now should expect to be closed for first quarter.

Definitely sounds like strict lockdown until March 31st.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

As I posted yesterday, PUP runs until at least 31st March.

Leo now saying business that are closed now should expect to be closed for first quarter.

Definitely sounds like strict lockdown until March 31st.

Oh dear. They always have to go and overdo it completely. It’s just Jan 7th. This is the same with the hysterics over the Leaving Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

Construction will be more than 50% open on Monday morning, all sites doing there best to fall under the essential bracket. If they remain open all Buisness supporting will also have to remain open. Good for economy but bad for covid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Are takeout pints ok or not?

It’s easy to find out for yourself. And if you bothered you would see more than 0.1% of the population of Florida have already died and they are running at 15k cases per day and rising

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭VonLuck

meath4sam wrote: »
    Construction will be more than 50% open on Monday morning, all sites doing there best to fall under the essential bracket. If they remain open all Buisness supporting will also have to remain open. Good for economy but bad for covid

Nonsense. Where are you getting that figure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Lashes28 wrote: »

Not banned, so depends if your local opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Lashes28 wrote: »

They're ok but frowned upon by the government and others that agree with their POV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Big drop in numbers today and expect to see a further reduction tomorrow with the backlog cleared.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement