Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I know its UK related (sorry, most of my posts here come from a UK perspective) but Hancock did an interview with the Spectator and said this.
    ‘It is impossible for any country to deliver a zero-Covid strategy. No country in the world has delivered that, including the ones that have aimed at it,’ he says. ‘Covid is going to be here, but it is going to be a manageable risk.’ His focus is on fatalities and, he says, abolishing restrictions as soon as it is feasible.

‘Covid is going to be here, but it is going to be a manageable risk’ When Covid hospital cases fall and pressure on the NHS is lifted, he says, ‘That is the point at which we can look to lift the restrictions.’ So what about herd immunity, vaccinating so many people that the virus dies out? ‘The goal is not to ensure that we vaccinate the whole population before that point, it is to vaccinate those who are vulnerable. Then that’s the moment at which we can carefully start to lift the restrictions.’

Now, what the Tory's do and say are two different things. But it's probably one of the most sane things he's said.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,601 ✭✭✭Penfailed

niallo27 wrote: »
    So what dont bother doing it, we warned you it would get bad, its your own fault, its your fault for getting the virus that we are out of ICU beds. I don't care if you followed all guidelines, there was no pint in us adding ICU capacity because we warned you it would get bad so now 100s will die but its totally your fault.

Indeed!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    They'll find some reason to keep this going as long as possible. Holohan isn't going to go quietly into the night.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Allinall

They'll find some reason to keep this going as long as possible. Holohan isn't going to go quietly into the night.

Why would they do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,601 ✭✭✭Penfailed

polesheep wrote: »
    To be fair, it's very difficult to bring on new ICU beds when you are struggling for staff in other areas. My wife (a nurse) is constantly being asked to work extra days.

Are the extra days used to make TikToc videos?

*tongue firmly in cheek*

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Allinall wrote: »
    Why would they do that?

Because Holohan is clearly enjoying the spotlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Allinall wrote: »
    Why would they do that?

Because there only remit is health, they are not worried about the economy or peoples jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I’m reading conflicting opinions about that.

Is vaccination of the vulnerable enough?

The age group they are vaccinating 1st would be unlikely to ever receive ICU care

What’s the age of people currently in ICU? How far of vaccination are they?

Ah here, once the vulnerable are vaccinated there is absolutely no reason to keep this craic going. The whole point of lockdown in the first place was to flatten the curve so the hospitals wouldn't be overwhelmed. Once we have the vulnerable vaccinated then there is no reason for any more lockdowns.

I hope all this doesn't create a precedent by the way for future lockdowns anytime our health system is at breaking point because of regular influenza. Our health system is ALWAYS bursting at the seams every winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Allinall

What makes you think that?

Has he said so?

Has he come out smiling and joking at press conferences?

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Boggles wrote: »
    True, there is people on this thread who think NPHET have invented the pandemic to close pubs permanently.

Never let a good crisis go to waste

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Tork

This is the sort of demented posting that makes me think some people should step away from the internet for a while. Even accepting that Holohan might be enjoying the limelight, do you seriously think that every single person on NPHET and in government is prepared to do everything he wants his for this? It's fine to not like him or what NPHET is doing. But honestly, some of the feverish prose I've read here makes me wonder about people.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,475 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So no more bulk buying drink ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

I've seen some daft things but this will take beating. I'm sure he'd much prefer to be working a normal week rather than all the hours hes putting in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

crossman47 wrote: »
    I've seen some daft things but this will take beating. I'm sure he'd much prefer to be working a normal week rather than all the hours hes putting in now.

What exactly has he got to show for those hours since last March?

When asked for data on where transmission is occurring he said that data would merely be academic.

There is 40 on his team

We should be leaders in Europe on the Covid front

We aren’t, but the visible and sunk cost of lockdowns in Ireland are certainly top of the pile for Europe’s youngest nation

As far as I am aware, he came back earlier than expected from leave. He could have spent some more time with his dying wife but he obviously had his reasons for coming back.

I’m also fairly certain that going on late night talk shows and early morning radio stations is not a mandatory part of his job.

Anthony is also very openly anti alcohol. He has used his influence to ensure that every club, wet pub and gastro pub is closed. Now he is pushing for more restrictions around off licenses and it wouldn’t surprise me if we calls for a full ban.

Look at the timeline - Government opened pubs in late September. Tony returned looking for a shut down in early October.

Very clear the pandemic is a great excuse for his wildest medical wet dreams.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,475 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Tony did seem chuffed to the talking negative about Alcohol yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I'd love to know what he actually does on an average day.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

So what dont bother doing it, we warned you it would get bad, its your own fault, its your fault for getting the virus that we are out of ICU beds. I don't care if you followed all guidelines, there was no pint in us adding ICU capacity because we warned you it would get bad so now 100s will die but its totally your fault.

No, there is no point in adding more ICU capacity when cases are doubling every week.
    You double your current ICU and it gets you 1 more week of patients, you quadruple it and it gets you 2 weeks.

At some point you need people to stop spreading the damn thing.

NPHET were capable of watching and learning from other countries.

That is the most inaccurate post of this thread.

NPHET considered the tracing the source of infections as “academic” exercise with little benefit.

The rest of Europe is relatively open with regional restrictions in place where required.

The rest of Europe is relatively open? Relative to what Fintan, Abu Ghraib?

GreeBo wrote: »
    At some point you need people to do spreading the damn thing.

Unless you believe that this is all part of Tony's conspiracy to be on tv every night?

• Advertisement

Yeah, those crafty politicians, they'll do anything to further their careers, kill the old, wreck the economy, selfish bastards the lot of them.

Tork wrote: »
    Unless you believe that this is all part of Tony's conspiracy to be on tv every night?

Yeah, he has a huge deal with Google based on AdWords and TV appearance time.
    I thought everyone knew this?

Yeah, those crafty politicians, they'll do anything to further their careers, kill the old, wreck the economy, selfish bastards the lot of them.

Just about every government in europe is in on the plot too. Even that right wing Tory government across the water. All for Tony's medical wet dream?

Because there only remit is health, they are not worried about the economy or peoples jobs.

Christ on a bike.

They
    Advise
    The
    Government.

If you dont like the decisions, don't blame nphet.

What exactly has he got to show for those hours since last March?

When asked for data on where transmission is occurring he said that data would merely be academic.

There is 40 on his team

We should be leaders in Europe on the Covid front

We aren’t, but the visible and sunk cost of lockdowns in Ireland are certainly top of the pile for Europe’s youngest nation
    So you are asking for proof of what he has prevented from happening?

So you are asking for proof of what he has prevented from happening?

I honestly find attitudes like this fascinating.

But it was visible in the Catholic Church era in Ireland and is perhaps ingrained within those of us not fortunate to understand.

Why is it so strange to you that we have the data behind the decisions made?

Low cases = EUs most suppressed nation

Cases rise = More lockdown

Cases continue to rise = More lockdown

Cases rises exponentially = lockdown is not working, we need more of it

They day posters like yourself recognise there is hidden costs of lockdown so it need’s to be handled pragmatically but also justified and balanced with the social effects is the day some progress is made.

Anyhow lockdown until April it is but that doesn’t mean it’s correct

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

For all the people blaming retail shopping and xmas gatherings for the recent big numbers advertised by the media, have a read through this topic: People who tested positive, how are you feeling?

We have cases of household where only 1 member out of 5 got infected despite living in close contact on a daily basis, the symptoms are ranging from non-existent to bad-flu-like. Again I'm not drawing any conclusion, but seriously was/is this lockdown and the previous ones really necessary? We will undoubtfully hear bad stories, however the majority seem to be able to cope with it, I can't really figure it out as to why they keep going with this scare tactics. I am convinced I had covid, I had flu-like symptoms in november, and since we defeated influenza that was probably it, I used the usual remedies (paracetamol, lemsip, and so on) and I was fine within a couple of days: maybe I've been lucky, but this seem the be the standard prophylaxis to treat this virus for 99.9% of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

darconio wrote: »
    For all the people blaming retail shopping and xmas gatherings for the recent big numbers advertised by the media, have a read through this topic: People who tested positive, how are you feeling?

We have cases of household where only 1 member out of 5 got infected despite living in close contact on a daily basis, the symptoms are ranging from non-existent to bad-flu-like. Again I'm not drawing any conclusion, but seriously was/is this lockdown and the previous ones really necessary? We will undoubtfully hear bad stories, however the majority seem to be able to cope with it, I can't really figure it out as to why they keep going with this scare tactics. I am convinced I had covid, I had flu-like symptoms in november, and since we defeated influenza that was probably it, I used the usual remedies (paracetamol, lemsip, and so on) and I was fine within a couple of days: maybe I've been lucky, but this seem the be the standard prophylaxis to treat this virus for 99.9% of the population.
    So with numbers today of over 8k, what number would you have waited for before deciding that maybe it might be a good idea to stay at home for a while.

emeldc wrote: »
    So with numbers today of over 8k, what number would you have waited for before deciding that maybe it might be a good idea to stay at home for a while.

Those numbers are all today’s positive results?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,232 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Negative.

The 2 major remits given to them by the government was

1. Education

2. Non Covid health care.

Keeping schools open, allows people to work, therefore good for the economy. If non covid health care is functioning people can get treatment and go back to work or know there is safety net there if they are injured at work.

If the government gave them pubs as a remit, they would advise closing education or health care.

i.e. bad for the economy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement