Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Those numbers are all today’s positive results?
    Are they lying to us again?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GocRh

Some perspective:

One million vaccinated by June 'not a bad estimation', says head of task force
    https://www.thejournal.ie/vaccine-rollout-5319747-Jan2021/

Meanwhile in Denmark:
    All Danes likely to have received complete set of jabs by late June, officials say
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2021/jan/08/coronavirus-live-news-poorest-countries-to-get-vaccine-in-weeks-says-who-brazil-deaths-pass-200000?page=with:block-5ff896a98f086b9a461f5d70#block-5ff896a98f086b9a461f5d70

Denmark - 5.8M people, land borders with Germany and Sweden.
    Ireland - 5M people, only borders NI.

We will be stuck in lockdowns until next year at this rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Boggles wrote: »
    Negative.

The 2 major remits given to them by the government was

1. Education

2. Non Covid health care.

Interesting then that schools were shut until September and thousands of cancer screening and procedures were cancelled in private and public hospitals.

Responding to some of these comments is like shooting fish in a bathtub

emeldc wrote: »
    Are they lying to us again?

Cheers.

I’ll take that as a no!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

On the alcohol point...while I don't think there should be any curbs on people buying say a bottle of wine/spirits/beers...Maybe they should introduce a limit on the amount you can buy. I know these systems will all be abused, send in one person, then another. But it might deter some.
    I just two people in the alcohol section of my local supermarket buying 3 cases full of wine - 18 bottles. Followed by a couple of boxes of beer. They didn't really have anything else in their trolley only alcohol. Who would need that kind of quantity of alcohol at the moment.

Maybe they were stocking up because they expect sales to be restricted at some point. What effect does someone drinking alcohol in their own home with their own household members have on the spread of the virus though? Why does buying alcohol need to be "deterred"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,491 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Interesting then that schools were shut until September and thousands of cancer screening and procedures were cancelled in private and public hospitals.

Both of those statements are equally confusing. :confused:

But.
    The National Screening Service (NSS) began a phased resumption of its screening programmes in early July 2020

But you are right the government didn't give keeping education open during the summer to NPHET as a core principle.

You can probably work out why.

Fish, bathtub, etc.

Cheers.

I’ll take that as a no!
    Seriously Fintan. What difference does it make when exactly everyone tests positive. Add them all up for the last two weeks and get an average if you like. What number are you waiting for to accept that we might be in a bit of sh1t.

emeldc wrote: »
    Seriously Fintan. What difference does it make when exactly everyone tests positive. Add them all up for the last two weeks and get an average if you like. What number are you waiting for to accept that we might be in a bit of sh1t.

Because many of those positive tests, certainly those from around Dec 25th are now out of isolation and not transmissible.

Also we absolutely can’t trend what’s occurring?

Can you not see how useful it may be to determine if the Christmas Eve restrictions are having any effect?

GocRh wrote: »
    Some perspective:

One million vaccinated by June 'not a bad estimation', says head of task force
    https://www.thejournal.ie/vaccine-rollout-5319747-Jan2021/

Meanwhile in Denmark:
    All Danes likely to have received complete set of jabs by late June, officials say
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2021/jan/08/coronavirus-live-news-poorest-countries-to-get-vaccine-in-weeks-says-who-brazil-deaths-pass-200000?page=with:block-5ff896a98f086b9a461f5d70#block-5ff896a98f086b9a461f5d70

Denmark - 5.8M people, land borders with Germany and Sweden.
    Ireland - 5M people, only borders NI.

We will be stuck in lockdowns until next year at this rate.
    People aged 80 or higher are expected to be vaccinated by mid-April and all frontline health personnel are expected to be vaccinated by late April, it said in a document published on Friday

So it will take them until the end of April to vaccinate the vast minority and then the entire country after in just 2 months, 70,000+ a day?

Seems quite ambitious. :confused:

The Danes are known for their fairytales.

I'd rather any projections or promises be based on what is achievable TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

darconio wrote: »
    For all the people blaming retail shopping and xmas gatherings for the recent big numbers advertised by the media, have a read through this topic: People who tested positive, how are you feeling?

We have cases of household where only 1 member out of 5 got infected despite living in close contact on a daily basis, the symptoms are ranging from non-existent to bad-flu-like. Again I'm not drawing any conclusion, but seriously was/is this lockdown and the previous ones really necessary? We will undoubtfully hear bad stories, however the majority seem to be able to cope with it, I can't really figure it out as to why they keep going with this scare tactics. I am convinced I had covid, I had flu-like symptoms in november, and since we defeated influenza that was probably it, I used the usual remedies (paracetamol, lemsip, and so on) and I was fine within a couple of days: maybe I've been lucky, but this seem the be the standard prophylaxis to treat this virus for 99.9% of the population.

Hilairious, you're basing this argument on a thread where only a handful of people posted and at least 2 have referenced feeling like death, and thought I was going to die. So tell us why the numbers in hospital are on the rise, why hospitals may not be able to provide intensive care beds to patients with non-Covid emergencies if this surge continues. Shall it will be grand, the medical professionals should just be handing out hot lemsips. Pandemic sorted.

• Advertisement

Because many of those positive tests, certainly those from around Dec 25th are now out of isolation and not transmissible.

Can you not see how useful it may be to determine if the Christmas Eve restrictions are having any effect?
    I got sick on the 9th of March. I tested positive on the27th in hospital. I didn’t test negative again until the 7th of April. That’s a lot longer than two weeks and I was still infectious and I had to isolate for a further two weeks after that.

The Danes are known for their fairytales.

I'd rather any projections or promises be based on what is achievable TBH.

And we are known for Leprechauns.

It seems that the Danes know what they're doing:

As of Friday, 102,092 Danes had received their first dose of the Covid-19 vaccine, or around 1.75% of the population, which puts Denmark ahead of most European countries.

Here in Ireland:
    Ireland’s current population is close to five million people. That means, as yet, only around 0.31pc of Irish people have been vaccinated. The vaccination programme is currently targeting people aged 65 and older who live in long-term care facilities and frontline healthcare workers.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/irelands-vaccine-rollout-has-been-criticised-as-too-slow-but-how-does-it-compare-to-other-countries-across-the-world-39946626.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Negative.

The 2 major remits given to them by the government was

1. Education

2. Non Covid health care.

So they have now failed on both counts?

So they have now failed on both counts?

Again Norman, they advise the government based on the governments core remit.

It's up to the Governance to take that advice or not.

New Department of Health secretary general Robert Watt in line for €292,000 salary in role
    https://www.independent.ie/news/new-department-of-health-secretary-general-robert-watt-in-line-for-292000-salary-in-role-39948719.html

So we have a CMO, a CEO in the HSE, a Health Minister, a Secretary General, all earning 200k + per year.
    And yet we can't pay student nurses. Or upgrade IT systems to keep track of COVID cases. Or rollout vaccines 24x7.
    When will this madness end?

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭darconio

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Hilairious, you're basing this argument on a thread where only a handful of people posted and at least 2 have referenced feeling like death, and thought I was going to die. So tell us why the numbers in hospital are on the rise, why hospitals may not be able to provide intensive care beds to patients with non-Covid emergencies if this surge continues. Shall it will be grand, the medical professionals should just be handing out hot lemsips. Pandemic sorted.

I'm not defending my belief, at this stage I am sick of arguing with "the opposition", I really envy people like Fintan that has the the will to constantly confute his position, and I have my idea that is based on the experience of the majority of people, not on the scare numbers thrown to us by factious media to backup the decisions made by a puppet government. The 2 experiences feeling like death you mentioned, are still here to tell their story aren't they?
    As I said I am not drawing any conclusion, however the majority can cope with it, and again, just my opinion, there is nothing worst than being convinced and brainwashed that "you are sick" because you will feel exactly that way.
    Paraphrasing somebody else "We are what we believe we are", you can feel miserable because you have shortness of breath after covid, or you can deal with it and, rest assured, like in my case, it will go away (I am in my late 40's in case somebody want to throw in the age argument).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

meath4sam wrote: »
    Construction will be more than 50% open on Monday morning, all sites doing there best to fall under the essential bracket. If they remain open all Buisness supporting will also have to remain open. Good for economy but bad for covid

Construction unfortunately won't be more than 50% open on Monday morning. All sites would do their best to be considered essential, however, they will be forced to shut. It's very disappointing for everyone who depends on construction to earn a living, especially considering how safe the sites have been.

Is anyone apart from people who are working from home on full pay surprised that people who will be forced out of work would try their best to continue working safely?

GocRh wrote: »
    It seems that the Danes know what they're doing:

I wouldn't be so confident.
    British Columbia, along with others such as the U.K. and Denmark, have decided to hold off giving a second vaccine dose for beyond the period recommended by vaccine makers

Again Norman, they advise the government based on the governments core remit.

It's up to the Governance to take that advice or not.

So they’re accountable for nothing?

I see the ICU nurses in Vincent's have had to whistle-blow their very poor, cramped and unhygienic working conditions and the fact they still haven't been vaccinated.

https://www.thejournal.ie/nurses-working-conditions-st-vincents-icu-5319046-Jan2021/

And we wonder why there are so many hospital outbreaks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Schools were shut until June. They're closed in July and August every year.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

I see the ICU nurses in Vincent's have had to whistle-blow their very poor, cramped and unhygienic working conditions and the fact they still haven't been vaccinated.

https://www.thejournal.ie/nurses-working-conditions-st-vincents-icu-5319046-Jan2021/

I reckon we'll see private vaccinations become commonplace because people will not put up with the **** slow vaccine roll out from the serial failures of the HSE & NPHET.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,127 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Someone on the main thread posted this

https://twitter.com/RiochtConor2/status/1347614114705764352?s=19

Still a backlog of 6k to go. The daily cases they are reporting now are just a random number generator spitting out numbers.

dr Tony said the backlog was cleared now but he clearly misspoke and meant to say they still have a huge backlog. Easy mistake to make.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

darconio wrote: »
    For all the people blaming retail shopping and xmas gatherings for the recent big numbers advertised by the media, have a read through this topic: People who tested positive, how are you feeling?

We have cases of household where only 1 member out of 5 got infected despite living in close contact on a daily basis, the symptoms are ranging from non-existent to bad-flu-like. Again I'm not drawing any conclusion, but seriously was/is this lockdown and the previous ones really necessary? We will undoubtfully hear bad stories, however the majority seem to be able to cope with it, I can't really figure it out as to why they keep going with this scare tactics. I am convinced I had covid, I had flu-like symptoms in november, and since we defeated influenza that was probably it, I used the usual remedies (paracetamol, lemsip, and so on) and I was fine within a couple of days: maybe I've been lucky, but this seem the be the standard prophylaxis to treat this virus for 99.9% of the population.
    Well apart from the other flaws in your post, have you heard of long covid? The many who didn't die or end up in hospital, or even show serious symptoms but who have ongoing heart problems, other organ problems, increased risk of stroke etc etc.

GazzaL wrote: »
    I reckon we'll see private vaccinations become commonplace because people will not put up with the **** slow vaccine roll out from the serial failures of the HSE & NPHET.

Remember! As the great Tony H said- there is nothing that can be done to stop Hospital Outbreaks once it's in the community, absolutely nothing.

Remember! As the great Tony H said- there is nothing that can be done to stop Hospital Outbreaks once it's in the community, absolutely nothing.

Nothing whatsoever

Only mandate more restrictions!

Now now Norman, your betters will be along shortly to tell you about scalability and manufacturers recommendations and ensuring the work is carried out in a safe way. Slow and steady old chum.

You see, administering vaccines in Ireland is unlike having to do it in any other country. But, I hear you say, why weren't staff trained up weeks/months ago on the different procedures for each type of vaccine? Don't be so silly old boy, government needed to form a committee first, and they needed to draft a report. Of course, this report would recommend a special task force. This task force would then need time to do their own reports for the committee who would then give them to the government. This is all far more important use of time than actually training staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I notice as each argument here since the beginning falls away, as each argument is found to be without foundation, as each new grim milestone is denied before being reached...

...as all of that comes to it's inevitable conclusion all that is left among the arguments is - conspiracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

JRant wrote: »
    Someone on the main thread posted this

https://twitter.com/RiochtConor2/status/1347614114705764352?s=19

Still a backlog of 6k to go. The daily cases they are reporting now are just a random number generator spitting out numbers.

dr Tony said the backlog was cleared now but he clearly misspoke and meant to say they still have a huge backlog. Easy mistake to make.

Can you quote or clip Dr Holohan saying this?

I remember no discussion of the backlog being cleared in the press briefing.

I do think Professor Nolan may have said something about the backlog being an extra 24 hours between swab and reporting.

• Advertisement

I notice as each argument here since the beginning falls away, as each argument is found to be without foundation, as each new grim milestone is denied before being reached...

...as all of that comes to it's inevitable conclusion all that is left among the arguments is - conspiracy.

Did you get lost Kermit?
    I'm not sure you meant to post that here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement