Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

Well apart from the other flaws in your post, have you heard of long covid? The many who didn't die or end up in hospital, or even show serious symptoms but who have ongoing heart problems, other organ problems, increased risk of stroke etc etc.

I'll reply to you and then I'll go back to my cubicle:

Have you heard of whole football teams that tested positive and within 10 days they were back on the pitch and actually won the game?
    Have you heard of media reporting people dying by covid, and then, when you dig a bit further, you discover from the relatives that that person died of causes unrelated to it?

As said I'm quite tired of explaining my position, obviously the majority is afraid of catching something that in most case scenario you won't even know that you have it and that can cause an outstanding 0.04 fatality rate on the Irish population. Have a good evening

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Can you quote or clip Dr Holohan saying this?

I remember no discussion of the backlog being cleared in the press briefing.

I do think Professor Nolan may have said something about the backlog being an extra 24 hours between swab and reporting.

Sure thing Ciaran, I read it here

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0107/1188342-covid-ireland-update/

"The backlog of cases due to a delay in reporting positive laboratory results has now been cleared."

And I'm almost certain he said it at the briefing as well. Sure where else would RTE have gotten it from.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

I notice as each argument here since the beginning falls away, as each argument is found to be without foundation, as each new grim milestone is denied before being reached...

...as all of that comes to it's inevitable conclusion all that is left among the arguments is - conspiracy.

You can stick to your conspiracy theories Kermit. The rest of us will try to get on with life as best we can.

I notice as each argument here since the beginning falls away, as each argument is found to be without foundation, as each new grim milestone is denied before being reached...

...as all of that comes to it's inevitable conclusion all that is left among the arguments is - conspiracy.

Over 63M known cases worldwide, less than 2M dead.

Not quite as grim as the reports now was it?

Edit: It’s actually almost 90M cases

• Registered Users Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

GazzaL wrote: »
    You can stick to your conspiracy theories Kermit. The rest of us will try to get on with life as best we can.

I'm not the one engaged in conspiracy theories but, yes, all we can do is our best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,315 ✭✭✭facehugger99

have you heard of long covid? .

Hard not to have.

Every second person on the internet seems to know someone who knows someone who has it.

Amazing really.

Hard not to have.

Every second person on the internet seems to know someone who knows someone who has it.

Amazing really.

Remember back in the day when they first opened up testing to anyone who thought they needed one and every hypochondriac in the country came forth looking to have their worst fears confirmed. That what this long COVID stuff reminds me of.

JRant wrote: »
    Remember back in the day when they first opened up testing to anyone who thought they needed one and every hypochondriac in the country came forth looking to have their worst fears confirmed.

Or maybe it was just ordinary people wanting to be tested for the presence of an unknown pathogen?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Hard not to have.

Amazing really.

I know someone who claimed to have long covid 2 weeks after 'recovery'.

It used to be called post-viral fatigue.

Remember back in the day when they first opened up testing to anyone who thought they needed one and every hypochondriac in the country came forth looking to have their worst fears confirmed. That what this long COVID stuff reminds me of.

I suspect there is a strong correlation between people who report suffering from long Covid and people who like to sit on the sofa eating chocolate while watching Netflix.

• Advertisement

I know someone who claimed to have long covid 2 weeks after 'recovery'.

It used to be called post-viral fatigue.

‘Post viral fatigue’ isn’t scary enough

Or maybe it was just ordinary people wanting to be tested for the presence of an unknown pathogen?

That is so lethal they had absolutely no symptoms.

I suspect there is a strong correlation between people who report suffering from long Covid and people who like to sit on the sofa eating chocolate while watching Netflix.

Can you provide the evidence to back your assertions?

I'll settle for a peer reviewed paper preferably from a credible source like the Lancet.

Just on the two points that long covid doesn't exist and that there is "strong correlation" between people who sit on the sofa watching Netflix and having suffered from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

GocRh wrote: »
    New Department of Health secretary general Robert Watt in line for €292,000 salary in role
    https://www.independent.ie/news/new-department-of-health-secretary-general-robert-watt-in-line-for-292000-salary-in-role-39948719.html

So we have a CMO, a CEO in the HSE, a Health Minister, a Secretary General, all earning 200k + per year.
    And yet we can't pay student nurses. Or upgrade IT systems to keep track of COVID cases. Or rollout vaccines 24x7.
    When will this madness end?

When we decide its over.

I've heard there's more long Covid cases than there were Covid cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

A relative of mine who, up until last year, spent most of their working life in the UK, received a text yesterday from the nhs offering them the vaccine. They’re half thinking of getting a flight over to get it as it would be another 3-4 months by the time they’re offered it here. They’re way ahead of the game over there and we’re running around like headless chickens over here. The absolute snails pace rollout of the vaccine doesn’t seem to be much of a talking point as it should be. The media would rather turn their focus to “will the leaving cert go ahead or not pt 2” rather than ask questions on why we are lagging so much on this front. Wait until you see, the rest of Europe will be up and away with it by April and we’ll still be vaccinating patient number 5

A relative of mine who, up until last year, spent most of their working life in the UK, received a text yesterday from the nhs offering them the vaccine. They’re half thinking of getting a flight over to get it as it would be another 3-4 months by the time they’re offered it here. They’re way ahead of the game over there and we’re running around like headless chickens over here. The absolute snails pace rollout of the vaccine doesn’t seem to be much of a talking point as it should be. The media would rather turn their focus to “will the leaving cert go ahead or not pt 2” rather than ask questions on why we are lagging so much on this front. Wait until you see, the rest of Europe will be up and away with it by April and we’ll still be vaccinating patient number 5

The media is supposed to be a huge bailout from the government if their alteration to the tv license fee [it would cover other media outlets iirc] so ofcourse they're going to worship at the Government's feet and act like they can do no wrong.

I've heard there's more long Covid cases than there were Covid cases.

That means you only have hearsay then.

The problem with throwing around statements like that is you are insulting people twice. You are assuming they are lying and on top of that making a judgement as to their employment status or how they live.

By all accounts long covid and specifically fatigue which can have serious consequences on someone's career, for example, and can induce other issues is real.

It's no laughing matter.

That's not the right way to approach it.

You have doubts, fine. I'm sure it's perfectly possible to make the point without descending to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

By all accounts long covid and specifically fatigue which can have serious consequences on someone's career, for example, and can induce other issues is real.

All accounts?
    Which ones?
    I know at least 20 now who have had it and none have had major symptoms or long covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

My Aunty is one of these people, a woman in her 50’s who has been allegedly cocooning since March due to an underlying condition (we keep telling her that allergy related IBS doesn’t count as an underlying condition, but this falls on deaf ears).
    She has been tested 6 times since March even though she claims to be cocooning and her husband is working from home. So either she’s lying about the cocooning or she’s being over dramatic, because we have other relatives on the frontline who haven’t needed to be tested at all, let alone 6 times.

Anyway she rang my mam today to tell her she’s asking to be referred for yet another test & my mam ate the head off her, asking how she could possibly need yet another one.
    When she got off the phone she said my aunt must be going around supermarkets licking things she’s so desperate to catch the damn virus.
    She lives for the drama of it, reporting her symptoms to Facebook every day and sharing clickbait articles about long covid and seemingly healthy young people dying from it.

I guarantee if she ever does get it, and I hope she doesn’t, that every twinge of the joints and stuffy nose for the next 30 years will be blamed on ‘long covid’. I honestly despair at her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Penfailed wrote: »
    Would you lump schools in with that? Millions of contacts indoors breathing the same air?

You know things in the south are currently worse than the north? Who's the dangerous simpletons?

Only that they do not breathe the same air. In my daughter school they had opened windows and the door so she had to sit there in 2 jumpers with a hat on. Breeze and draft were so strong it sent papers flying from your desk for most of the day.

Boggles wrote: »
    Where did I suggest we restrict and entire population? :confused:

Also this shielding the vulnerable BS needs to be put to bed.

Vulnerable people and staff who cater for them are in hospitals, public health centers, ER's, etc, etc would you be willing to sign a disclaimer to state you will not be brought to a hospital under any circumstance or avail of any public health service whilst your out living your Herd Immunity dream?

You forgetting one thing. We discuss covid and not ebola or marburg virus. Do people sign any disclaimers for the flu?

Can you provide the evidence to back your assertions?

I'll settle for a peer reviewed paper preferably from a credible source like the Lancet.

Just on the two points that long covid doesn't exist and that there is "strong correlation" between people who sit on the sofa watching Netflix and having suffered from it.

Lancet had their credibility seriously questioned in regard to some covid related studies they published.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

niallo27 wrote: »
    Because there only remit is health, they are not worried about the economy or peoples jobs.
    They don't seem too worried about health outside of Covid - the long-term mental and physical effects of months of lockdowns, or the cost of cancelled procedures and tests.
    What exactly has he got to show for those hours since last March?

When asked for data on where transmission is occurring he said that data would merely be academic.

In fairness (or just to be pedantic) I don't think he actually said that. Philip Nolan did though, so same difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

That is so lethal they had absolutely no symptoms.

Yes exactly. Healthy people looking for a test to tell them their supposedly sick

SusieBlue wrote: »
    My Aunty is one of these people, a woman in her 50’s who has been allegedly cocooning since March due to an underlying condition (we keep telling her that allergy related IBS doesn’t count as an underlying condition, but this falls on deaf ears).
    She has been tested 6 times since March even though she claims to be cocooning and her husband is working from home. So either she’s lying about the cocooning or she’s being over dramatic, because we have other relatives on the frontline who haven’t needed to be tested at all, let alone 6 times.

Anyway she rang my mam today to tell her she’s asking to be referred for yet another test & my mam ate the head off her, asking how she could possibly need yet another one.
    When she got off the phone she said my aunt must be going around supermarkets licking things she’s so desperate to catch the damn virus.
    She lives for the drama of it, reporting her symptoms to Facebook every day and sharing clickbait articles about long covid and seemingly healthy young people dying from it.

I guarantee if she ever does get it, and I hope she doesn’t, that every twinge of the joints and stuffy nose for the next 30 years will be blamed on ‘long covid’. I honestly despair at her.

Everyone knows someone like this. I know two such people who couldn't wait to get the test and have had multiple tests since, even though they are both WFH and barely go out.

Everyone knows someone like this. I know two such people who couldn't wait to get the test and have had multiple tests since, even though they are both WFH and barely go out.

Eventually you have to blame the doctors who kept sending people like that for tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Many are found arguing their point on anonymous online forums about long Covid

The real world is full of sceptics that would fit right in on this thread I’ve discovered

It’s just not quite PC to admit it

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Eventually you have to blame the doctors who kept sending people like that for tests.

Sure, it's money for jam for doctors. Ring up with a migraine - that's a COVID test. Have an itchy sack - COVID test before you can set foot in the place.

Not all doctors are like this but it seems you need a negative test before some of them will let you set foot in the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭almostover

I honestly find attitudes like this fascinating.

But it was visible in the Catholic Church era in Ireland and is perhaps ingrained within those of us not fortunate to understand.

Why is it so strange to you that we have the data behind the decisions made?

Low cases = EUs most suppressed nation

Cases rise = More lockdown

Cases continue to rise = More lockdown

Cases rises exponentially = lockdown is not working, we need more of it

They day posters like yourself recognise there is hidden costs of lockdown so it need’s to be handled pragmatically but also justified and balanced with the social effects is the day some progress is made.

Anyhow lockdown until April it is but that doesn’t mean it’s correct

What do you suggest is done differently to deal with COVID can I ask. Let it run free and allow our health service end up like northern Italy in March 2020?

All criticism by you on how lockdown don't work to suppress COVID. So let's have it then, what's your big idea that would work better?

One thing is fact. There is a direct correlation between increased social interactions and rising COVID cases, hospitalizations and deaths in this country. Similarly a direct correlation between increased lockdown restrictions and diminishing COVID cases, hospitalizations and deaths. Granted correlation does not imply causation. But right now lockdown is all we've got to protect the health service from being overwhelmed.

What is your viable alternative? If you've none then just shut up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement