Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

"Let's put this into context" ...What sort of nonsense, warped context is that? Are you suggesting that all deaths due to air pollution are from people driving cars and just turning over their engines?

Where do you stand on the grounding of an entire fleet of boeing 737 max airplanes? Presumably you agree that it was a ridiculous decision considering out of approximately half a million flights there was only 2 fatal crashes. And a conservative guess would suggest less than .0007% passenger fatalities due to crashes. Far less dangerous than Covid.

I’d say it is a fair comparison. Just like not all air pollution is car generated, so isn’t for example retail responsible for all COVID cases. Yet we have gardai enforcing the essential/non-essential rule there, as if that was to turn around this pandemic. At the same time COVID spreads yet again within and into the outside of hospitals and care homes. Now that is very smart use of resources, isn’t it. Middle class is being slaughter as we sit and watch this whole sh1t show.
    COVID became the most important issue this past year, yet there are far more important aspects that are to do with the world and lives that were pushed to the side.

As far as I know air travel is by far the safest means of travel. The number of 747 max that crashed and reported issues were more than adequate and significant to do what Boing did. The only viable option from a commercial long term perspective IMO. Not sure how that relates to COVID though.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,058 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

So don't be that person in the chain which results in someone having life changing consequences next Feb or March. You'd probably never know the person and you'd never meet them. That doesn't matter. The people who took risks and downplayed things are equally as culpable.

I'm interested to know the number. Can the boffins tell how many people a chain has been through? Or at least estimate it?

I do love a lecture disguised as a question.

Not sure of the relevance to this thread though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Penfailed wrote: »
    Except we didn't and we won't. Quit with the hysteria.

Well we kinda did. Maybe not Chinese or Australia style lockdown but lockdown enough to make the year an absolute write-off for everyone except Jeff Bezos. Life is on hold no matter what you call it.

And this year, well, we'll see. Media continue on their frenzy of exaggerating everything to the hilt to present the 'right message'. Governments and health agencies are still flying half blind almost one year into this. Still stumbling from one ill decision to the next. Ultimately always back to lockdown.

I wouldnt take any bets at this point. We may have to get dragged back to normal kicking and screaming. if the vaccines dont bail us out...god help us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,601 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Well we kinda did.

I beg to differ. There's no 'kinda'. It's black and white. We locked down at the start and then had restrictions in place. We had another lockdown of sorts before Christmas and we're currently going though another. Everything else has been an easing or tightening of restrictions. Even Fintan thinks that the rest of Europe is relatively relaxed now, even though they're currently facing restrictions that are tighter than were we were in the summer. He'll come back to say..."but pubs" or similar. Yet people say this isn't about pubs...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

But pubs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,601 ✭✭✭Penfailed

But pubs

Hahaha! Very good. Perfect comedy timing too!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

walus wrote: »
    I’d say it is a fair comparison. Just like not all air pollution is car generated, so are the COVID cases linked, for example with, retail. Yet we have gardai enforcing the essential/non-essential rule there, as if that was to turn around this pandemic. At the same time COVID spreads yet again within and into the outside of hospitals and care homes. Now that is very smart use of resources, isn’t it. Middle class is being slaughter as we sit and watch this whole sh1t show.
    COVID became the most important issue this past year, yet there are far more important aspects that are to do with the world and lives that were pushed to the side.

As far as I know air travel is by far the safest means of travel. The number of 747 max that crashed and reported issues were more than adequate and significant to do what Boing did. The only viable option from a commercial long term perspective IMO. Not sure how that relates to COVID though.

I'm not sure I understand much of that post to be honest. I really don't understand why you would care much wether hospitals or care homes have cases or not considering in your last post, I quoted, you don't consider Covid to be dangerous.

I'd guess if hospitals and care homes stayed closed and empty like pubs we'd have seen far little or no cases there. They really got that wrong when they were drafting the restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

I'm not sure I understand much of that post to be honest. I really don't understand why you would care much wether hospitals or care homes have cases or not considering in your last post, I quoted, you don't consider Covid to be dangerous.

I'd guess if hospitals and care homes stayed closed and empty like pubs we'd have seen far little or no cases there. They really got that wrong when they were drafting the restrictions.

I’m glad you got the message. Looking at the data COVID is not dangerous to a human life - statistically speaking. There are much more dangerous things out there that we accept and live with. And hospitals were empty and staff sent home for much of the spring and summer, while nphet were broadcasting their concerns about rising low double digit cases. The next two weeks were supposed to be critical - a boy who cried wolf ffs.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Water2021 wrote: »
    Is that Waterford stat correct

Only 2 have died from that City?

Haven't you forgotten about all the people that have gotten long covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

You don't get into icu with a broken leg.

Actually, you potentially do if you go into hospital covid-free with a broken leg, and then contract covid in hospital.

• Advertisement

Heard that said alright.

Some are of the opinion once we are vaccinated normality will resume

Not if we continue using the same metrics for the suppression of normality in the first place

Quite a few experts now saying similar. The vaccines won’t be enough to end lockdowns and restrictions.

The people supporting it the most don’t seem to see any issue with how easily we’ve surrendered freedoms.

It might be a case that people will have to fight hard at some stage if we want to get rid of these restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

I’m glad you got the message. Looking at the data COVID is not dangerous to a human life - statistically speaking. There are much more dangerous things out there that we accept and live with. And hospitals were empty and staff sent home for much of the spring and summer, while nphet were broadcasting their concerns about rising low double digit cases. The next two weeks were supposed to be critical - a boy who cried wolf ffs.

I really don't know what you are saying. You are saying there are lots of people in hospital with Covid yet Covid is not dangerous to a human life? What do you imagine would happen to the 100 plus people that are in ICU because of Covid if they didn't have access to ICU? Should they be knocking back strepsils and paracetamol instead? Do you know anyone who entered hospital with and because of Covid who's life was saved through intensive care intervention?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Well nphet can never keep the pubs closed now ever again when there are fewer than 30 cases a day like then did in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

fin12 wrote: »
    Well nphet can never keep the pubs closed now ever again when there are fewer than 30 cases a day like then did in the summer.

Seems they can do absolutely anything they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Dickie10 wrote: »
    Seems they can do absolutely anything they want.

Yes but they will come across as absolutely fools, when we have over 8k cases a day. They wouldn’t be able to justify it.

If you have a team of 40 enjoying stardom, who’s advice on July 14th 2020 when ROI had 14 cases is to be careful the R number is rising, low case numbers won’t have any effect on mandated advice.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-two-more-deaths-confirmed-as-r-rate-rises-above-1-1.4305293%3fmode=amp

That may be behind a paywall so I’ll quote Dr Glynn

“ Dr Glynn said the R-number, which is the reproductive rate of the virus, had increased above 1 and was “somewhere in the range of 1.2 and 1.8.”

14 cases July 14th and they actually discussed the R number

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

If you have a team of 40 enjoying stardom, who’s advice on July 14th 2020 when ROI had 14 cases is to be careful the R number is rising, low case numbers won’t have any effect on mandated advice.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-two-more-deaths-confirmed-as-r-rate-rises-above-1-1.4305293%3fmode=amp

That may be behind a paywall so I’ll quite Dr Glynn

“ Dr Glynn said the R-number, which is the reproductive rate of the virus, had increased above 1 and was “somewhere in the range of 1.2 and 1.8.”

14 cases July 14th and they actually discussed the R number

You guys planning onto getting the vaccine or something?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Most of them were probably healthy people.

What we did last summer was a disaster, we achieved nothing.

We are looking at 2 surges every year with mutations going forward, nothing we do can stop this.

Lockdowns were meant to buy the Health service time...remember when we fell for that one?

Goldengirl wrote: »
    You guys planning onto getting the vaccine or something?:pac:

No anti vaxers here goldengirl, hopefully the HCW’s think similarly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

PTH2009 wrote: »
    They will find a way

'Has the potential to spread the virus once again, lower inhibitions and all that, €9 meal and time limit might not be enough'

Let's hope MM/Leo have grown a pair and demand we get the economy back up and running when its very possible too

Tony has got them by the pair and gives them a twist so they remember their place.

It really is a "He must have pictures of them in compromising positions" situation the way they cower before him. And do whatever he tells them to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Ok so we've established that, like most respiratory viruses, Covid19 gets worse in winter - or to put it another way - gets better in summer. I won't be playing ball with any restrictions next summer - zilch.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 coppergrass

I’m glad you got the message. Looking at the data COVID is not dangerous to a human life - statistically speaking. There are much more dangerous things out there that we accept and live with.

Maybe I'm missing something, but can you give a few examples where the actions of others have a higher chance of ending your life than through Covid? The first thing that came to mind was road deaths, but the 148 deaths in 2019 are dwarfed by the 2,237 Covid deaths in 2020. After that I'm stumped to think of anything else!

It has all been delay tactics by the government since last March to try and keep the public onside.

Phase 1: Flatten the Curve and then stay locked down until close to zero cases.

Phase 2: “Reopening” the country slower than any other country

Phase 3: “Living” with Covid plan.

Phase 4: Lockdown to Save Christmas phase

Phase 5: Lockdown until end of March until the vulnerable are vaccinated.

Phase 6: ??? Stay locked down or heavily restricted over summer until a higher percentage of the population are vaccinated.

Phase 7: Stay locked down or heavily restricted during Autumn to be conservative and ensure vaccines are working.

Phase 8: Probably best to remain locked down or heavily restricted to “get through” winter.

Sometime in 2022 the rest of Europe will shame us into reopening. And the worst aspects of budget 2022 will kick in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,058 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    Man last summer was frustrating, such low cases with such dumb restrictions

This is what annoys me so much.
    We should have had a few normal months when cases were so low and deaths were zero. That's why people went a bit 'mad' when they were given a bit of freedom in December.

It has all been delay tactics by the government since last March to try and keep the public onside.

Phase 1: Flatten the Curve and then stay locked down until close to zero cases.

Phase 2: “Reopening” the country slower than any other country

Phase 3: “Living” with Covid plan.

Phase 4: Lockdown to Save Christmas phase

Phase 5: Lockdown until end of March until the vulnerable are vaccinated.

Phase 6: ??? Stay locked down or heavily restricted over summer until a higher percentage of the population are vaccinated.

Phase 7: Stay locked down or heavily restricted during Autumn to be conservative and ensure vaccines are working.

Phase 8: Probably best to remain locked down or heavily restricted to “get through” winter.

Sometime in 2022 the rest of Europe will shame us into reopening. And the worst aspects of budget 2022 will kick in.

For anti lockdown group you guys are seriously depressing to read :D
    All the other threads are more positive and with good reason .
    It's good news , vaccines on the way , get your jabs or hopefully nasal vaxx and go on holidays and return to Ireland getting back to normal !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Maybe I'm missing something, but can you give a few examples where the actions of others have a higher chance of ending your life than through Covid? The first thing that came to mind was road deaths, but the 148 deaths in 2019 are dwarfed by the 2,237 Covid deaths in 2020. After that I'm stumped to think of anything else!

Say you are less than 40 then you have a higher chance to get killed in a road accident than to die of covid.

Goldengirl wrote: »
    For anti lockdown group you guys are seriously depressing to read :D

Congratulations, your post been nominated for the hypocrisy awards of 2021!

Odds on favourite I reckon

No anti vaxers here goldengirl, hopefully the HCW’s think similarly!

Thank God for that Fintan:o

Well unless you are reading fake news , 100% uptake where I am !

Congratulations, your post been nominated for the hypocrisy awards of 2021!

Odds on favourite I reckon

Well there would be an awful lot of competition here I'd say :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

We can only do what we can though?

The GAA still won’t have fans, pubs will be shut!

Foreign holidays is the only option

Oh it's the foreign holiday i'm after! And if nothing is open in Ireland, my garden will be bbq central!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement