Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Well there would be an awful lot of competition here I'd say :pac:

There is competition, but you’re the best there is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

There is competition, but you’re the best there is!

Ahh thanks Fintan , have to say learned it all from you , take a bow :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭patnor1011

For anti lockdown group you guys are seriously depressing to read :D
    All the other threads are more positive and with good reason .
    It's good news , vaccines on the way , get your jabs or hopefully nasal vaxx and go on holidays and return to Ireland getting back to normal !

And what do you personally expect to get from being vaccinated? Honest question. It won't stop you from contracting it and if you happen to have serious comorbidities like really serious health issues do you think nothing will happen to you? Only time will tell and we will have to wait for quite some time to be sure.

Second or maybe the third generation of vaccines may be able to offer protection but by the time they get developed, we may pretty much find ourselves in a situation as we have with the flu when we only guess which strain may come next year and the flu vaccine is just a lottery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭dockysher

Anything to be said for another mass

patnor1011 wrote: »
    And what do you personally expect to get from being vaccinated? Honest question. It won't stop you from contracting it and if you happen to have serious comorbidities like really serious health issues do you think nothing will happen to you? Only time will tell and we will have to wait for quite some time to be sure.

Second or maybe the third generation of vaccines may be able to offer protection but by the time they get developed, we may pretty much find ourselves in a situation as we have with the flu when we only guess which strain may come next year and the flu vaccine is just a lottery.

Soft. Take the vaccine and shut up. Im sure you have taken a lot worse which hasn't being analyzed for months by top scientists in the world

• Advertisement

dockysher wrote: »
    Soft. Take the vaccine and shut up. Im sure you have taken a lot worse which hasn't being analyzed for months by top scientists in the world

If I happen to be in front of you in line for the vaccine you can gladly have mine. I do not need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 coppergrass

walus wrote: »
    I’m glad you got the message. Looking at the data COVID is not dangerous to a human life - statistically speaking. There are much more dangerous things out there that we accept and live with.
    Maybe I'm missing something, but can you give a few examples where the actions of others have a higher chance of ending your life than through Covid? The first thing that came to mind was road deaths, but the 148 deaths in 2019 are dwarfed by the 2,237 Covid deaths in 2020. After that I'm stumped to think of anything else!

At the risk of causing offence, a quick glimpse at the median age of Covid deaths, and the excess death rate, would suggest that road deaths may well cost as many life years as Covid does

So by that rational a car crash is more 'dangerous' to a one year old than an 80 year old in that it would cost them more life years. Maybe I could have been clearer, but I'm going on the premise that it would be equally dangerous to both in that it would cost them their lives. With that in mind, can you give a few examples?

I’m of the opinion that I’ve taken far worse and rode far worse so I’ve no issue being vaccinated but I struggle to see what your attitude achieves?

Shut up? People have concerns and that won’t solve anything

Deal 110%. You can live in a coronavirus lockdown world for rest your life while rest of us who got vaccine get on with our lives. You do realize any medication you take even Panadol has risks? Some people are clueless

So by that rational a car crash is more 'dangerous' to a one year old than an 80 year old in that it would cost them more life years. Maybe I could have been clearer, but I'm going on the premise that it would be equally dangerous to both in that it would cost them their lives. With that in mind, can you give a few examples?

Life years. Also Quality adjusted life years

It’s a pragmatic approach to life

It’s why a 3 year old is triaged before someone who has lived beyond life expectancy

Likely because the 3 year old will pay more tax but it does exist

• Advertisement

I’m of the opinion that I’ve taken far worse and rode far worse so I’ve no issue being vaccinated but I struggle to see what your attitude achieves?

Shut up? People have concerns and that won’t solve anything

Also which won't solve anything is people not getting vaccine. Work in healthcare for a while and ye might understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I've a colleague who came back from 7 days in Lanzarote last week- went with a test, came back had a test and returned to work....there are people living.

I've a colleague who came back from 7 days in Lanzarote last week- went with a test, came back had a test and returned to work....there are people living.

Living if you don't care or have anyone vunerable to affect. Rest of us just trying to protect our family until we are all protected

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

SnuggyBear wrote: »
    Man last summer was frustrating, such low cases with such dumb restrictions

They should have opened up and let us live normally for the Summer Months. Then there would have been some more buy it to the winter lockdowns and facemasks [whoever thought it was a good idea to mandate them in the middle of summer was a twat]

It has all been delay tactics by the government since last March to try and keep the public onside.

Phase 1: Flatten the Curve and then stay locked down until close to zero cases.

Phase 2: “Reopening” the country slower than any other country

Phase 3: “Living” with Covid plan.

Phase 4: Lockdown to Save Christmas phase

Phase 5: Lockdown until end of March until the vulnerable are vaccinated.

Phase 6: ??? Stay locked down or heavily restricted over summer until a higher percentage of the population are vaccinated.

Phase 7: Stay locked down or heavily restricted during Autumn to be conservative and ensure vaccines are working.

Phase 8: Probably best to remain locked down or heavily restricted to “get through” winter.

Sometime in 2022 the rest of Europe will shame us into reopening. And the worst aspects of budget 2022 will kick in.

It certainly seems to be heading in that direction. The lack of urgency in vaccinating certainly proves that.

Living if you don't care or have anyone vunerable to affect. Rest of us just trying to protect our family until we are all protected

Well, they got tested at both ends, they're not around anyone vulnerable, they have another test booked for next week, they stayed fairly isolated while away, masks all the way, all laws obeyed. I'm jealous for sure but not angry.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    They should have opened up and let us live normally for the Summer Months. Then there would have been some more buy it to the winter lockdowns and facemasks [whoever thought it was a good idea to mandate them in the middle of summer was a twat]

It certainly seems to be heading in that direction. The lack of urgency in vaccinating certainly proves that.

This was the message reiterated in this thread all along.

Suppression leads to mayhem

The 1920s seen explosions in opiate and alcohol addiction’s

Last summer we were still leaning. Summer of 2021 we have a full 16 months of experience. Summer takes the legs out from under this disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Last summer we were still leaning. Summer of 2021 we have a full 16 months of experience. Summer takes the legs out from under this disease.

Yeah, but you're forgetting one crucial detail. This Country is run by a bunch of slow learners.
    This was the message reiterated in this thread all along.

Suppression leads to mayhem

The 1920s seen explosions in opiate and alcohol addiction’s

That's why I've always believed that these full lockdowns should never go on more than a month. Lockdowns that go on for months just leads to the chaos that results when people finally get some freedom after so long and leads to the spikes that they claim to be trying to avoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,390 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

And when someone comes up with an idea that would change the culture and do away with some of these issues, guess what happens? There's a revolt and people marching in protest, and the spinless politicians back down from doing what needs to be done to change things for the better.

Examples:-

Electronic voting, The excuse for throwing it out was that there was a risk of errors, the real reason was the instant result denied the publicity that the possible losers live for, and the massive cost of the prolonged count and recounts.

You might want to do some basic research.

It was thrown out because there was no way of being confident that the vote entered on the keyboard was the same vote recorded and counted, without a paper audit trail.

It was a solution looking for a problem.

But back on topic

https://twitter.com/peterdonaghy/status/1348034214311190528?s=19

Well, they got tested at both ends, they're not around anyone vulnerable, they have another test booked for next week, they stayed fairly isolated while away, masks all the way, all laws obeyed. I'm jealous for sure but not angry.

I agree. I’ve a couple of friends just popped up in Costa Rica, taking advantage of very cheap flights and cheap accommodation. Tested before going (even though wasn’t necessary), will be tested coming back, and then will be WFH and not going to house parties or gathering with friends in the park.

I see no harm in it at all. There are far bigger offenders staying put in Ireland

• Advertisement

You might want to do some basic research.

It was thrown out because there was no way of being confident that the vote entered on the keyboard was the same vote recorded and counted, without a paper audit trail.

It was a solution looking for a problem.

But back on topic

https://twitter.com/peterdonaghy/status/1348034214311190528?s=19

Herd immunity in less than 2 years?

Not the most bizarre plan

Deal 110%. You can live in a coronavirus lockdown world for rest your life while rest of us who got vaccine get on with our lives. You do realize any medication you take even Panadol has risks? Some people are clueless

About a third of the workforce is out and about doing their everyday job. Mixing with colleagues and other people not to mention returning back to their families.
    All the lockdown means for me and the rest of them is slight annoyance to have to put a mask on when in shop, some inconvenience when you need to buy something which is not on "essential" list.
    Well, there is a little benefit of less traffic but other than that most of them have no need for a vaccine to "get back to normal" since life is pretty normal for me and most of my friends and family anyway.

Statements like "living in coronavirus lockdown world for rest of your life" are laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

patnor1011 wrote: »
    And what do you personally expect to get from being vaccinated? Honest question. It won't stop you from contracting it and if you happen to have serious comorbidities like really serious health issues do you think )nothing will happen to you? Only time will tell and we will have to wait for quite some time to be sure.

For me able to go to work without risk of getting serious ill, and if they get vaccinated too protecting my family .

As a nurse and high risk , it's not been good whether people say it has been quite quiet in hospitals or not .

As a family we have had a sxxxload of serious illness so looking forward to a better year .

As my kids are adults I don't know if they will get a vaccine but they are as sick of restrictions as anyone here so would be anxious to see it to the end and do whatever they have to.

I have had a first dose already and am sure from reading everything about it that I will be 95% protected from severe illness with it which is as good as one can get from a vaccine .
    Your second statement may be true but we won't know how long immunity lasts for a while and how often we have to get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,390 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Tony has got them by the pair and gives them a twist so they remember their place.

It really is a "He must have pictures of them in compromising positions" situation the way they cower before him. And do whatever he tells them to do.

Yeah, that's one possibility.

The other possibility is that they are giving reasonable, professional, expert public health advice to Government.

Take your pick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,830 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yeah, that's one possibility.

The other possibility is that they are giving reasonable, professional, expert public health advice to Government.

Take your pick.

It's not like he doesn't have a small agenda against Alcohol.

https://alcoholireland.ie/have-we-bottled-it-alcohol-marketing-and-young-people/

For me able to go to work without risk of getting serious ill, and if they get vaccinated too protecting my family .

As a nurse and high risk , it's not been good whether people say it has been quite quiet in hospitals or not .

As a family we have had a sxxxload of serious illness so looking forward to a better year .

As my kids are adults I don't know if they will get a vaccine but they are as sick of restrictions as anyone here so would be anxious to see it to the end and do whatever they have to.

I have had a first dose already and am sure from reading everything about it that I will be 95% protected from severe illness with it which is as good as one can get from a vaccine .
    Your second statement may be true but we won't know how long immunity lasts for a while and how often we have to get it.

I already had it. Wasn't that bad considering I am pretty much an example of vulnerable category.
    Being in work since and in daily contact with hundreds of people and dealing with positive cases quite a few times means I most likely do not need vaccine.
    I am either incredible lucky (not sure about that) or that I already acquired immunity.
    I am not alone. Hundreds of thousands already had this virus so despite what few posters here try to present as a life or death situation this virus is far from that and our reaction to this situation is pretty much over the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I really miss nightclubs n having a dance. I just want life to go back to before March 2020. When is it actually going to happen? 2022 2023?

fin12 wrote: »
    I really miss nightclubs n having a dance. I just want life to go back to before March 2020. When is it actually going to happen? 2022 2023?

Hard to say as the next two (weeks, months, years, decades - fill in what you feel like) are critical managing all of this. Flattening, overwhelming, protecting, and all that...
    If you feel like you need a night out or a good rave plenty of that is going on in Wuhan and you do not even need to wear a mask last time I check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,830 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

fin12 wrote: »

same, simple things like the after work/evening pint (and not have to buy food) and listening to a bit of live music by some average pub singer (who with drink you think is the best ever)

Its 2.05 and we should be in nightclubs/late bars getting the last pint. :(:(:(

Soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

I would absolutely murder a pint. I just want to get drunk with my friends and sing a few songs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement