Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

For a fella that seems to have posted a lot in this, and similar threads, I am surprised that you can't see the relevance of chains of transmission to restrictions.

Sorry to break it to you, but everything is not actually all about you. Restrictions are brought in simply to break chains of transmission. It's not "the man" trying to ruin your fun and your glamorous social life. There is no conspiracy of jealous people in the WHO or HSE who planned all this specifically to ruin your weekly pints with the lads

Ah this old chestnut again. Yes, we are fine with mass unemployment, fine with economic suicide, fine with not being able to travel beyond 5km, fine with not being able to see our loved ones, but it's the not being able to go for pints with the lads that's truly upsetting.

Yet another post of zero substance but some witty liner about pints, of which there are many.

To be fair to you, at least you're not dumping tweets from randomers to prove a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,842 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

MOH wrote: »
    Alas, you're totally incorrect there. They would be a selfish individual if they irresponsibly went and came back and made no attempt to limit their movements or get tested.

If they go to the effort of ensuring they're not bringing the virus into the country, they should actually be commended, not condemned. Particularly when our utterly pathetic authorities keep insisting such care isn't necessary, and that travel only accounts for 0.5% of clusters.

(On a side note, can I just say how much I admire your dedication to bypassing the swear filter? It really adds so much eloquence to your arguments.)

Lol. Get onto Tony there and Michael Ryan in the WHO and ask them to start promoting that people who make unnecessary journeys be commended.
    New solution to the pandemic. Have people travel more :pac:

Travel only accounts for 0.5% of clusters .... perhaps that comes in under the "87% of stats are pulled from one's hole" school of science?

Given that the UK and South African variants have been identified here. And they stated that the African ones were on recent arrivals from there. Anyone who gets the UK variant needs to realise that it actually didn't come here via travel. It teleported itself to this island using Star-Trek technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Yeah, that's one possibility.

The other possibility is that they are giving reasonable, professional, expert public health advice to Government.

Take your pick.

Holohan wants to lockdown for months over the least little sniffle or sneeze. That's not reasonable and professional by any standard.
    Idbatterim wrote:
    If RTE were only able to tell us who actually died from this [not died from something else while having this virus, but will be counted as a death from this virus] then this would have been over months ago. We wouldn't be wearing masks and we wouldn't be standing on social distancing markers.
    The more you thi k about it, whip up covid hysteria, lock everything down. Will get far more people reading the news, then the consequences which will be felt for years, will get far more people tuning in too..

RTE needs this to be deadly. Brexit has finally happened and Donald Trump is out of the White House soon. RTE [and the rest of the sycophantic media] have nothing else to Doom and Gloom about.
    From what I’m seeing they will never replicate the compliance that was there for lockdown 1. They would need armed police on the streets to keep people indoors now. The sensible solution has been the same from day 1, protect the elderly and vulnerable and their care workers and let everyone else get on with their lives.

Ofcourse not. They blew their proverbial loads already. They went way too overboard with making the lockdowns last way too long and then heavy restrictions the rest of the time. Its shouldn't surprise anyone with a lick of sense that compliance would be lost the longer they dragged this out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Tweet from a verified account and respected journalist. I haven't seen this dumped yet. I wonder why..

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1348257693161697290

• Advertisement

Lundstram wrote: »
    Ah this old chestnut again. Yes, we are fine with mass unemployment, fine with economic suicide, fine with not being able to travel beyond 5km, fine with not being able to see our loved ones, but it's the not being able to go for pints with the lads that's truly upsetting.

Yet another post of zero substance but some witty liner about pints, of which there are many.

To be fair to you, at least you're not dumping tweets from randomers to prove a point.

As I am sure you were able to read, that was in response to a poster who opined that a question about chains of transmission was not relevant to to a thread on restrictions.

Do you agree with him? You also can't see or understand any relevance?

Are you also one of those that thinks that "they" are not putting in restrictions to try to break chains of transmission but rather to stop you personally from having the craic? If not, then why do they have restrictions? Mind control? Lizard people taking over the world? New World Order?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Holohan wants to lockdown for months over the least little sniffle or sneeze. That's not reasonable and professional by any standard.

From what I’m seeing they will never replicate the compliance that was there for lockdown 1. They would need armed police on the streets to keep people indoors now. The sensible solution has been the same from day 1, protect the elderly and vulnerable and their care workers and let everyone else get on with their lives.

Try living in the real world.

As I am sure you were able to read, that was in response to a poster who opined that a question about chains of transmission was not relevant to to a thread on restrictions.

Are you also one of those that thinks that "they" are not putting in restrictions to try to break chains of transmission but rather to stop you personally from having the craic? If not, then why do they have restrictions? Mind control? Lizard people taking over the world? New World Order?

Would you consider having a “curer” as the real dubs call
    It?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,053 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

You see Donald, this is where you go wrong.
    If you left the first 2 parts of your post there then it would seem that you are asking a good question and then people might engage with you.
    The last part of your post however just means that people switch off and therefore you won't be starting a discussion, which I suspect, you don't really want anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Tweet from a verified account and respected journalist. I haven't seen this dumped yet. I wonder why..

Probably because it got tweeted only 45 minutes ago.

Perspective is needed, yes, which is why it's important not to forget that the 4/5 people who recovered from COVID needed to be in ICU to recover in the first place.

We need to preserve the capacity to help these people, otherwise case outcomes will trend even more negative. The outcome of cases isn't independent of this factor.

This is not even taking into account the potential for long term health damage when a COVID infection gets to that point

10% of admissions end up in ICU
    https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1348263889864171520

You see Donald, this is where you go wrong.
    If you left the first 2 parts of your post there then it would seem that you are asking a good question and then people might engage with you.
    The last part of your post however just means that people switch off and therefore you won't be starting a discussion, which I suspect, you don't really want anyway.

Post is here for anyone who wants to read it
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115866288&postcount=8410

Perhaps you still can't understand it. That is not my fault and there is nothing that I can do about that

Would you consider having a “curer” as the real dubs call
    It?

Not sure exactly what you mean. Whatever it is, do you think it would help yourself or would your own issues be more permanent?

Probably because it got tweeted only 45 minutes ago.

Perspective is needed, yes, which is why it's important not to forget that the 4/5 people who recovered from COVID needed to be in ICU to recover in the first place.

We need to preserve the capacity to help these people, otherwise case outcomes will trend even more negative. The outcome of cases isn't independent of this factor.

This is not even taking into account the potential for long term health damage when a COVID infection gets to that point

10% of admissions end up in ICU
    https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1348263889864171520

4 out of 5 people who recovered from COVID did not need to be in an ICU in the first place. The vast majority of people who had COVID never went anywhere near a hospital let alone ICU. Very many were to asymptomatic that they didn’t even know they had COVID prior to being tested. You really shouldn’t peddle blatant lies to fear monger shamelessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Mr. Karate wrote: »

Yeah, it's not reasonable or professional. It's also not what he's doing.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

4 out of 5 people who recovered from COVID did not need to be in an ICU in the first place. The vast majority of people who had COVID never went anywhere near a hospital let alone ICU.

What has that got to do with the price of eggs.

If the hospitals / ICU beds are full, the outcome will be much worse for those that need either but can't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Isn’t the rest of Europe at about 50%?

I’m always curious about the ICU survival rate in Ireland, is it one aspect of Irish healthcare that’s ahead of Europe?

Or are we admitting patients to ICU that wouldn’t be deemed necessary of that level of treatment elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

4 out of 5 people who recovered from COVID did not need to be in an ICU in the first place. The vast majority of people who had COVID never went anywhere near a hospital let alone ICU. Very many were to asymptomatic that they didn’t even know they had COVID prior to being tested. You really shouldn’t peddle blatant lies to fear monger shamelessly.

I am talking solely about the ICU and hospital admissions

Graham wrote: »
    What has that got to do with the price of eggs.

If the hospitals / ICU beds are full, the outcome will be much worse for those that need either but can't get it.

Yeah, it's a bit like some armchair experts saying we don't need to make any more penicillin because "shure most people who availed of it, since it was discovered, survived anyway".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

manniot2's threadban lifted after discussion with poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I’m always curious about the ICU survival rate in Ireland, is it one aspect of Irish healthcare that’s ahead of Europe?

Or are we admitting patients to ICU that wouldn’t be deemed necessary of that level of treatment elsewhere?

Is that a European average?

I've only heard it as a throw away figure for overwhelmed icus?

If we don't have numbers fall we will be there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Or maybe we get them in early enough so they have a good chance of survival.

Great work by our doctors and nurses

It is possible that they are not sending cases to ICU in other countries until they get more severe too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

More likely unnecessarily admitting patients to ICU that other EU countries wouldn’t deem necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

So Ireland is now experiencing a massive surge, indeed its almost semi international news. It seems the ‘Uk variant’ and our crazy Xmas schedules are to blame. Makes me wonder however, could it be the result of our over restrictive measures in autumn/early winter? Surely everyone getting infected and sick at the exact same time is a bad idea, and the fact that nobody was ill with anything for months before now is the reason we are all sick at the same time.

I know in an ideal world nobody at all would be sick, but that means lockdown forever unfortunately, which surely even the most hardened lockdowners agree can’t happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,053 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

I think the reason for our high ICU survival rate is that they only admit people who they deem have a high chance of survival. Other countries don;t have this kind of policy or procedure and admit everyone who needs it.
    For example in Northern Italy in February/March 2020 they admitted very elderly patients into ICU hence why they got overwhelmed.

In Ireland they rarely even admit patients from nursing homes into hospital much less ICU. That's the reason why most of our deaths occur outside hospital.

Or we are not admitting patients to icu who have no chance of recovery

Try living in the real world.

That is the real world. and the longer the lockdown goes on the more people will tire of it and the more people will travel and start meeting up

I don’t know what world you are living in.

And looking further on, assuming that this is an annual vaccine, not every person is going to get the vaccine every year. So, eventually, we will just have to protect those that need protecting and live with it as a virus that just exists in society. There’ll be no appetite for restrictions to our lives in the long term (except for those who embrace them, and there seem to be plenty)

manniot2 wrote: »
    So Ireland is now experiencing a massive surge, indeed its almost semi international news. It seems the ‘Uk variant’ and our crazy Xmas schedules are to blame. Makes me wonder however, could it be the result of our over restrictive measures in autumn/early winter? Surely everyone getting infected and sick at the exact same time is a bad idea, and the fact that nobody was ill with anything for months before now is the reason we are all sick at the same time.

I know in an ideal world nobody at all would be sick, but that means lockdown forever unfortunately, which surely even the most hardened lockdowners agree can’t happen.

No more than around 10% of the population have had this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

manniot2 wrote: »

Agreed. One would have to guess where we would have been had we open up the country much faster and left it at level 1 or 2 thru the summer and early autumn. With a daily numbers of say 500 we would have not experienced a surge of this magnitude for sure. More importantly however come late autumn and winter tightening the restriction (leve 3 or 4) would not have had such adverse effects on people and their compliance as we have just experienced.
    From a perspective of protecting HSE a much better strategy. If it wasn’t only for the zero COVID brigade lead by McConkey and Co.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement