Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

walus wrote: »
    Agreed. One would have to guess where we would have been had we open up the country much faster and left it at level 1 or 2 thru the summer and early autumn. With a daily numbers of say 500 we would have not experienced a surge of this magnitude for sure. More importantly however come late autumn and winter tightening the restriction would not have such adverse effects on people and their compliance as we have just experienced.
    From a perspective of protecting HSE a much better strategy. If it wasn’t only for the zero COVID brigade lead by McConkey and Co.

To achieve a scenario as you suggest where a level of infection spreading in the community would have prevented a winter surge, we would have need 10,000 cases a day for 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

To achieve a scenario as you suggest where a level of infection spreading in the community would have prevented a winter surge, we would have need 10,000 cases a day for 6 months

How did you come up with that number?

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

From a deep dark recess within oneself

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Agreed. One would have to guess where we would have been had we open up the country much faster and left it at level 1 or 2 thru the summer and early autumn. With a daily numbers of say 500 we would have not experienced a surge of this magnitude for sure.

Primarily because the initial surge wouldn't have stopped and would have been an order of magnitude higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Is it definitely illegal?

Last time it was only implied to be illegal when public health advice was not followed

Afaik, barbers/hairdressers are allowed open to train staff etc, which would mean models are needed to cut. All perfectly above board.

• Advertisement

Afaik, barbers/hairdressers are allowed open to train staff etc, which would mean models are needed to cut. All perfectly above board.

I missed that exemption. Any source, I'd be interested in having a read?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Wasn't Ivor Cummins one of the few people that people were holding up as a beacon of common sense in this thread last year?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Penfailed wrote: »
    So...not endless lockdowns like your OP stated. Thanks for the clarification.

When, since 15th March 2020, have we been out of lockdown and able to go about our business like pre 15th March 2020?? What exact dates since 15 March 2020 have we been “out” of lockdown??

When, since 15th March 2020, have we been out of lockdown and able to go about our business like pre 15th March 2020?? What exact dates since 15 March 2020 have we been “out” of lockdown??

You're confusing lockdown and restrictions.

I can only assume you do actually know there's a difference but are pretending otherwise for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

Graham wrote: »
    Primarily because the initial surge wouldn't have stopped and would have been an order of magnitude higher.

Or not.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Advertisement

You obviously can't tell the difference between living with restrictions and being locked down. That makes things difficult for me to even try to begin to explain it to you.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Wasn't Ivor Cummins one of the few people that people were holding up as a beacon of common sense in this thread last year?

Seen some of Ivor’s videos, very much not PC in the current climate of discussions, he seems to cause outrage and great offence. He was wrong on some things and correct on others, bit like NPHET.

The beacons of common sense applauded here were Dr Martin Feely, Dr Jack Lambert and Dr John Lee.

They won’t be heard of until the respiratory illness season is over. Likely to be interviewed in June when NPHET will be considering when to relax level 5.

500 cases per day for 6 months is 90,000. Not going to make much impact on transmission. 10,000 is 1.8millon. Then you would’ve starting to run short of hosts

From a deep dark recess within oneself

Or actually engage some critical thought

It’s also clear that the narrative shift here aligns with that of Cummings

There’ll be no appetite for restrictions to our lives in the long term (except for those who embrace them, and there seem to be plenty)

So there will be an appetite then?

Your last statement is contradictory

• Registered Users Posts: 19,842 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

That is the real world. and the longer the lockdown goes on the more people will tire of it and the more people will travel and start meeting up

I don’t know what world you are living in.

And looking further on, assuming that this is an annual vaccine, not every person is going to get the vaccine every year. So, eventually, we will just have to protect those that need protecting and live with it as a virus that just exists in society. There’ll be no appetite for restrictions to our lives in the long term (except for those who embrace them, and there seem to be plenty)

I'm living in a world with real people. Not whatever isolated bubble you are in there behind your keyboard.

I personally know a husband and wife in their 60's currently isolating. They have been very careful since last March. The husband still works. He is in an absolutely definite essential role. He is not public facing but has to go in and work on site and either has 1 or 2 other people with him for each shift. There are about 15-18 people or something like that who cover the role on site as it is done 24/7. He doesn't roster with them all, but lets assume that he could be in contact with half of them in any given month. If there was a natural disaster or complete lockdown, this role would still need to be done.

He tested positive during the week. Another man he works with had been off the previous week. That other man's son was one of about a dozen or so twenty-somethings in the area who caught it over Christmas attending the same house parties. I posted a post about it a week or so ago about another gob****e who had caught it at the same parties and brought it back to his parent's house. The son in this case is a different fella. But it is the same group.

Work is the only place this man could have picked it up, unless it came on a delivery. He has not been in contact with anyone else and has not gone anywhere else. His wife does not have any symptoms yet, but that could be the virus just being in the incubation phase. He says that he does not feel too bad but he is not out of the woods yet. I posted a post a few days ago asking whether someone could tell me when someone would be "out of danger" but I didn't get an answer. That was what it was in relation to.

You appear to have some simplistic idea about magical ways of protecting vulnerable people. Your head is up your arse. They are real people with real lives - not sitting behind their keyboards or playing fortnite and whinging that they can't go to Lanzarote.

Those real people with real lives are now sitting at home and wondering and dreading what the next few weeks could bring to their doorsteps and it's all because some complete selfish cunts wanted to have "a few cans with their buddies".

This is a terrible thing to say, and I wouldn't say it normally, but I really hope that if it was the case that statistically X% of people have on-going long-Covid implications, that it is those twenty-something arseholes. Fuck them and fuck any other selfish cunt who catches it by acting the bollix doing things they know they aren't supposed to do. I reserve my sympathy for those who make an effort do the right thing and are unlucky.

I missed that exemption. Any source, I'd be interested in having a read?

Local barber told me, said that under the restrictions he was allowed one customer at a time on the premises is it was for staff training.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Yeah people have questions over lockdowns cause they just wanna drink cans and play fortnite. How out of touch can you get.

You're confusing lockdown and restrictions.

I can only assume you do actually know there's a difference but are pretending otherwise for some reason.

It’s semantics. We’ve been locked down to 5km or county for months at a time. Until life is back to pre-15th March we are under lockdown.

• Advertisement

Local barber told me, said that under the restrictions he was allowed one customer at a time on the premises is it was for staff training.

Is there an actual law to be broken if a business is open and operating safely?

I remember reading on the legal forums on here that it was implied to be illegal to operate but the guidelines were only public health advice.

Isn’t that how Ryanair lost the case they took, there was absolutely no restrictions on citizens going abroad!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,842 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Yeah people have questions over lockdowns cause they just wanna drink cans and play fortnite. How out of touch can you get.

People need to stop crying like little bitches and just have some responsibility and do their bit.

It’s semantics. We’ve been locked down to 5km or county for months at a time. Until life is back to pre-15th March we are under lockdown.

Some people’s definition of lockdown is the army leaving bread and water on your doorstop in the morning while snipers wait in the bushes.

Everything is shut and will remain so until April, I consider it a lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

People need to stop crying like little bitches and just have some responsibility and do their bit.

Only one crying like a little bitch is yourself Donny.

That's simply not true. You can call it semantics if you want. It doesn't change the fact. Your definition of lockdown appears to be any single restriction. That's just ridiculous.

That's simply not true. You can call it semantics if you want. It doesn't change the fact. Your definition of lockdown appears to be any single restriction. That's just ridiculous.

He knows that yet apparently the ones who understand the need for restrictions are the hysterical ones :rolleyes:

I'm living in a world with real people. Not whatever isolated bubble you are in there behind your keyboard.

I personally know a husband and wife in their 60's currently isolating. They have been very careful since last March. The husband still works. He is in an absolutely definite essential role. He is not public facing but has to go in and work on site and either has 1 or 2 other people with him for each shift. There are about 15-18 people or something like that who cover the role on site as it is done 24/7. He doesn't roster with them all, but lets assume that he could be in contact with half of them in any given month. If there was a natural disaster or complete lockdown, this role would still need to be done.

He tested positive during the week. Another man he works with had been off the previous week. That other man's son was one of about a dozen or so twenty-somethings in the area who caught it over Christmas attending the same house parties. I posted a post about it a week or so ago about another gob****e who had caught it at the same parties and brought it back to his parent's house. The son in this case is a different fella. But it is the same group.

Work is the only place this man could have picked it up, unless it came on a delivery. He has not been in contact with anyone else and has not gone anywhere else. His wife does not have any symptoms yet, but that could be the virus just being in the incubation phase. He says that he does not feel too bad but he is not out of the woods yet. I posted a post a few days ago asking whether someone could tell me when someone would be "out of danger" but I didn't get an answer. That was what it was in relation to.

You appear to have some simplistic idea about magical ways of protecting vulnerable people. Your head is up your arse. They are real people with real lives - not sitting behind their keyboards or playing fortnite and whinging that they can't go to Lanzarote.

Those real people with real lives are now sitting at home and wondering and dreading what the next few weeks could bring to their doorsteps and it's all because some complete selfish cunts wanted to have "a few cans with their buddies".

This is a terrible thing to say, and I wouldn't say it normally, but I really hope that if it was the case that statistically X% of people have on-going long-Covid implications, that it is those twenty-something arseholes. Fuck them and fuck any other selfish cunt who catches it by acting the bollix doing things they know they aren't supposed to do. I reserve my sympathy for those who make an effort do the right thing and are unlucky.

Well, you see your ‘real’ world and I see mine, and those around me. We’ll have to agree that our perspectives differ

Yeah, I suspected it would be something like that.

I find it hard to believe staff training for hair cutting is on the essential services list.

Of course if anyone has an official source, I'm open to correction.

Some people’s definition of lockdown is the army leaving bread and water on your doorstop in the morning while snipers wait in the bushes.

Everything is shut and will remain so until April, I consider it a lockdown

Were we locked down since the 15th of March last year? That's what the OP is saying...
    You think that Europe is currently quite relaxed even though they are currently facing heavier restrictions than we were for a considerable time from May to November last year.

Currently, yes, we are locked down. Will we be until April? Who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Lol. Get onto Tony there and Michael Ryan in the WHO and ask them to start promoting that people who make unnecessary journeys be commended.
    New solution to the pandemic. Have people travel more :pac:

Travel only accounts for 0.5% of clusters .... perhaps that comes in under the "87% of stats are pulled from one's hole" school of science?

Given that the UK and South African variants have been identified here. And they stated that the African ones were on recent arrivals from there. Anyone who gets the UK variant needs to realise that it actually didn't come here via travel. It teleported itself to this island using Star-Trek technology.

God you're hilarious. Try actually reading the post you're replying to next time.

For a start, the "87% of stats are pulled from one's hole" aren't mine, they're the official figures from the HSE cluster report, the latest of which shows 35 out of 8500 clusters as attributable to travel.

Which, indeed, has clearly been utter nonsense given that months ago it was estimated that over 40% of cases were the Spanish strain that had emerged over the summer. And a significant number of the current cases are likely to be the new UK strain.
    But according to Tony and the other geniuses who can't come up with a better plan than repeated lockdowns, no form of general travel restrictions are necessary.

Which is why people should be commended for taking precautions anyway, and isolating and testing, despite the government you hero-worship insisting there's no need. 100 people on a plane from Lanzarote all doing that are far less dangerous than a dozen flying home from the UK and going straight into general circulation. Covid doesn't particularly care whether your trip is necessary.

Yet somehow you managed to mangle that into them being selfish and irresponsible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement