Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Yes astonishing but don't worry, the government have a cunning plan, get a new secretary General for the department of health in and pay him €292k a year, if it wasn't for the shambolic past 10 months, I'd have thought this was made up, but no and it's disgusting.
    They're the very reason the HSE is the way it is. Over-paid, under-worked charlatans.

Quite incredible that Paul Reid earns more than the president of the USA.

Sickening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

sickening , revolting, pathetic.

Nasty place at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ElektroToad

I can fully accept why some are quick to frame that new appointment as Gen Sec to Department of Health in a certain light (jobs for boys etc..) but maybe this guy going in there precisely because the Govt is tired of the DoH being such a fecking shambles and so he's being tasked to get in there and ruffle a few feathers?

The fact he came from Dept of Public Expenditure would suggest that could be the case? Health is single biggest spending category in our national budget afterall... Here's hoping anyways !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Nasty place at times.

This post requires context.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Nasty place at times.

Hang on your the person in the other thread who said you wanted your kids to go to school at any cost.

• Advertisement

Penfailed wrote: »
    This post requires context.

Sorry, There's a lot of nasty adjectives flying around here. I know a lot of people are angry but it's not really constructive to blame everything on restrictions. it might have something to do with the virus and sick people filling up the hospitals.

No-one wants restrictions. No-one wants schools closed. We have to tackle the virus so restrictions no needed.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Hang on your the person in the other thread who said you wanted your kids to go to school at any cost.

I never said that/ Stop waffling please.

I said I prioritised them going to school over pints/ takeaway pints / 500ml cans or holidays in Spain. Not any cost. Discuss it on that thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

patnor1011 wrote: »
    I already had it. Wasn't that bad considering I am pretty much an example of vulnerable category.
    Being in work since and in daily contact with hundreds of people and dealing with positive cases quite a few times means I most likely do not need vaccine.
    I am either incredible lucky (not sure about that) or that I already acquired immunity.
    I am not alone. Hundreds of thousands already had this virus so despite what few posters here try to present as a life or death situation this virus is far from that and our reaction to this situation is pretty much over the top.

While I agree that you may have some immunity and be lucky as regards your high risk status not to have gotten sicker , I disagree that the situation is as mild as you say .

For a lot of people yes , but a significant portion about 1 in 5 people are very sick with this or do you think they are just after finding over 1000 people who happen to be positive admitted with other problems in hospitals around Ireland in the last two weeks ?

Come on , this is a silly argument at this stage .

I know how sick these people are in hospital and so does most of the population despite the fact that most are being spared the severe illness.

And there are enough people in the under 65 age group in those hospitalised to rubbish the notion some have about it being just a disease of the elderly.

Your own choice about the vaccine , as you said ,you may have immunity , for some time .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I'm guessing NPHET won't be mentioning how successful we've been at surpressing the virus, I recall just before Christmas, we were being reminded how well we were doing, number 1 in the European charts etc

Not anymore, a shameful state of affairs really

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/ireland-has-worst-coronavirus-infection-rate-in-europe-1062214.html

It's sad alright.

Christmas was more important for the government. No one gives a fig about Christmas now.

Control was thrown away.

They'll say "we are where we are".

Well yes, but that does not mean there should not be accountability for decisions taken to ease restrictions in the run up to Christmas. This sent a dreadful message at precisely the wrong time to the general public.

We are paying the price for that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,053 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Lundstram wrote: »
    Quite incredible to think this woman is head of the vaccine taskforce but hasn't a clue how many has been done so far, not even a ball-park figure.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1348362085965684740

Our Health services don't even have enough supplies of oxygen for the hospitals so I don't know how anyone would seriously expect them to be able to roll out a vaccine.

But sure appoint even more highly paid managers and PR consultants and hopefully they can spin it into a positive

https://twitter.com/Independent_ie/status/1348193008244633600

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

That's a shame. I've proof of my story luckily.

539018.jpg

539019.jpg

Sorry but I’m confused by what point you are trying to make here. Are you saying that because one 80 year old in the UK won the lottery none of the other 80 year olds anywhere can be depressed because of lockdown isolation? If you are it’s the most ridiculous point I’ve seen yet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Our Health services don't even have enough supplies of oxygen for the hospitals so I don't know how anyone would seriously expect them to be able to roll out a vaccine.

because vaccinations don't generally require oxygen?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I said I prioritised them going to school over pints/ takeaway pints / 500ml cans or holidays in Spain. Not any cost. Discuss it on that thread.

As if it was a choice of the two.

Sorry but I’m confused by what point you are trying to make here. Are you saying that because one 80 year old in the UK won the lottery none of the other 80 year olds anywhere can be depressed because of lockdown isolation? If you are it’s the most ridiculous point I’ve seen yet.

I don't think you read the posts and are attempting to take it out of context.

My point was that not all 80 year olds get forced into care and die in 10 months because they are depressed as the other OP stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

My point was that not all 80 year olds get forced into care and die in 10 months because they are depressed as the other OP stated.

So basically just because a couple of 80 year olds are full of joy by winning the lotto sod the rest of all the other 80 year olds that are suffering because of the pandemic........ok :rolleyes:

I work a lot with the public and a lot of them i know are really struggling, show some empathy ffs

niallo27 wrote: »
    As if it was a choice of the two.

How do you read prioritise as mutually exclusive choice?

Again I didn't type that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

So pretty much exactly what I thought.

It's sad alright.

Christmas was more important for the government. No one gives a fig about Christmas now.

Control was thrown away.

They'll say "we are where we are".

Well yes, but that does not mean there should not be accountability for decisions taken to ease restrictions in the run up to Christmas. This sent a dreadful message at precisely the wrong time to the general public.

We are paying the price for that now.

NPHET advised the government to lockdown for 6 weeks as their models showed that we’d get down to 50 - 100 cases a day, with models showing cases rising again in mid Jan.

According to some people, NPHETs only responsibility is to give advice.

Shame they gave the government such bad advice.

I had a great Christmas by the way, will remember it for a long time. So you’re wrong about that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

What are you doing here complaining then if you had a great Christmas?

The restrictions now are the bill that everyone was warned about bizarrely.

Either you didn't have a great Christmas or you have a serious case of buyers remorse...

What are you doing here complaining then if you had a great Christmas?

The restrictions now are the bill that everyone was warned about bizarrely.

Either you didn't have a great Christmas or you have a serious case of buyers remorse...

I’ll be here complaining until ALL of these restrictions are gone.

And even long afterwards, pointing out the social and economic damage that they have done.

There will come a day when most of you lockdown supporters will regret it. You’ll never admit it, but you’ll feel it.

The excess death figures will show that Covid barely killed anyone in Ireland.

• Advertisement

In no small part because we implemented restrictions before our health services were overrun.

Graham wrote: »
    In no small part because we implemented restrictions before our health services were overrun.

Most deaths were too sick for hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

There will come a day when most of you lockdown supporters will regret it. You’ll never admit it, but you’ll feel it.

I couldn’t agree more! There will come a day when the penny finally drops, and no amount of finger wagging on Prime Time is going to change that! Hopefully it isn’t too late when that happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

But sure appoint even more highly paid managers and PR consultants and hopefully they can spin it into a positive

https://twitter.com/Independent_ie/status/1348193008244633600
    So is the lack of oxygen the one piece of news media scare mongering that you guys agree with LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Girl I know, who’s unemployed (through no fault of the pandemic) and still lives at home in her mid 20s posting on Instagram “stay home, it’s really that simple”. Peoples lack of empathy for those who can’t simply sit on their arse all day is unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭bb1234567

I’ll be here complaining until ALL of these restrictions are gone.

And even long afterwards, pointing out the social and economic damage that they have done.

And what about the places where the excess deaths show that it killed a lot of people?
    If excess deaths were high in Ireland, you'd be claiming lockdown did that.

So seeing as we know lockdowns don't cause high excess deaths as we reported normal mortality rates in lockdown central (Ireland) in 2020, it would appear then that it was COVID which caused the highest deaths since records began in the USA https://www.foxnews.com/health/us-deaths-in-2020-top-3-million-by-far-most-ever-counted
    And the highest deaths since Spanish flu in the UK. https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-britain-deaths-idUKKBN29B2R0?edition-redirect=uk

So then that leads us to the conclusion Ireland has not had anywhere near as widespread transmission of the virus as UK or USA have. Wouldn't you agree? Or what's the story with the theory then on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

bb1234567 wrote: »
    [/B]
    And what about the places where the excess deaths show that it killed a lot of people?
    If excess deaths were high in Ireland, you'd be claiming lockdown did that.

So seeing as we know lockdowns don't cause high excess deaths as we reported normal mortality rates in lockdown central (Ireland) in 2020, it would appear then that it was COVID which caused the highest deaths since records began in the USA https://www.foxnews.com/health/us-deaths-in-2020-top-3-million-by-far-most-ever-counted
    And the highest deaths since Spanish flu in the UK. https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-britain-deaths-idUKKBN29B2R0?edition-redirect=uk

So then that leads us to the conclusion Ireland has not had anywhere near as widespread transmission of the virus as UK or USA have. Wouldn't you agree? Or what's the story with the theory then on that?

I believe the working theory in this thread is "it's a different country, nobody cares"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I believe the working theory in this thread is "it's a different country, nobody cares"

:pac:

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

It's bizarre, this pretence that it can't/won't happen here.

I don't believe it's stupidity, is it fear?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Graham wrote: »
    It's bizarre, this pretence that it can't/won't happen here.

I don't believe it's stupidity, is it fear?

What can’t happen here?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement