Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Boggles wrote: »
    Hitting nearly 1000 cases a day entering Christmas week was the downfall.

It's not that hard understand TBF.

The results are stark and undeniable.

At some stage certain people are just going to have to acknowledge the reality we are in and ranting and raving online and ignoring the pandemic are just not viable options.

I’m not ranting and raving at anyone. I’m not ignoring the pandemic either. At some stage certain people are going to have to accept that having an opposing opinion doesn’t make a person a raving lunatic, that’s just a lazy argument.

The mistake was 9 weeks of strict restrictions in the run up to Christmas where people couldn’t see their loved ones for months, after a particularly crap year where people spent most of it separated from their families.
    If the government had even allowed outdoor meet ups in the fresh air between groups of 3 or whatever, it would have been quite safe and people wouldn’t have been so lonely and isolated and desperate for human contact come December 1st.
    The lockdown had barely lifted when Leo the leak was already warning about another imminent lockdown straight after Christmas so people made the most of their three weeks of seeing their friends and families while they could.

If we hadn’t done the six week circuit breaker and stayed at level 3.5, allowing people to shop locally with less pent up demand, perhaps the cases would have stayed on a more even keel and wouldn’t have exploded in December and we wouldn’t be in this position now.

None of what happened is remotely surprising. We aren’t robots, people took the opportunity in front of them with both hands. All the models and trajectories in the world won’t account for human nature.
    I don’t know why anyone is even shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

TBF, I'm not the one contradicting myself.

So I think you can figure out the "Nope".

My sincere apologies, I thought it was clear that I meant 0 deaths per day and not 0 deaths for the entire summer. I forgot how pedantic some people around here are. Consider me corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Dr Holohan is back showing his Worry Metric at the press conference using Amárach data....

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    He can fook off with this one. Never needed it before and I will not be going around in masks because someone in the office has the sniffles!

Some people might. That’s what happened in the Far East after Hong Kong flu. And that was the point. Some people’s behavior will change

Penfailed wrote: »
    Neither will I. I would hope that if people are sick, they won't be going to the office.

That will be a good thing to come out of this. There’ll be less tolerance of people coughing and sniffing in the office or on public transport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Hitting nearly 1000 cases a day entering Christmas week was the downfall.

It's not that hard understand TBF.

The results are stark and undeniable.

At some stage certain people are just going to have to acknowledge the reality we are in and ranting and raving online and ignoring the pandemic are just not viable options.

I would not call it ignoring the pandemic but more regarding it as part of life currently rather than being all consumed by it. As for the ranting and raving that is mostly being done by the pro lockdown people such as your good self, almost exclusively so tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

walus wrote: »
    Assuming that this tweet is true.

This is Ireland, where everyone knows everyone. If he was spoofing, someone would have called him out by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Dr Holohan is back showing his Worry Metric at the press conference using Amárach data....

I have only discovered the mute button on the remote control in the past couple of months. So handy when Tony and co pop up and catch me by surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I've just listened to the whole interview. He said he thinks things won't return to the way they were before the pandemic. He went on to say that there will be more people working from home than there were before and that mask wearing, social distancing and hand hygiene will be 'with us to a certain extent' in future flu seasons. That's it. No big deal.

I don’t know about you but if any of my family, friends, lovers, bit on the side or whatever have been vaccinated like myself i certainly won’t be social distancing from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

SusieBlue wrote: »
    So we should have stayed in level 5 to avoid level 5? Stay in lockdown to prevent a lockdown?

Cant be any worst than the situation we are in now.

At least the kids had sports before xmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I don’t know about you but if any of my family, friends, lovers, bit on the side or whatever have been vaccinated like myself i certainly won’t be social distancing from them.

You will have bigger issues than Covid if they don’t stay apart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Boggerman12

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    He can fook off with this one. Never needed it before and I will not be going around in masks because someone in the office has the sniffles!

Thought Leo today was very sheepish on any of the interviews he gave.he can feck off if he thinks I’m going to live with wearing a mask for the rest of my life.normality will return once this Covid thing is sorted with better treatments/vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Thought Leo today was very sheepish on any of the interviews he gave.he can feck off if he thinks I’m going to live with wearing a mask for the rest of my life.normality will return once this Covid thing is sorted with better treatments/vaccines.

Monday morning, miserable January day, coming into work to face the hospital crisis, cases out of control it’s not surprising he sounded a bit negative on the radio this morning. It can skew the perception of the light at the end of the tunnel, depressing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

This is exactly the point I’ve been making.

Applying the metric seen to implement restrictions last Summer the same must be expected this Summer.

Restrictions nationwide and Dublin on lockdown.

Yep, anything different would be an admission that they got it wrong last year and as we all know that can’t happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

This is Ireland, where everyone knows everyone. If he was spoofing, someone would have called him out by now.

Sure, like the whole Ireland had a Twitter account.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The thread summed up in one post.

Congratulations you.

I want the failure, hand wringing, bull****ting to be properly highlighted. I am sick of politicians going into politics and in what seems to be an irish in particular phenomena, actually just run the country, according to social media and the easiest possible initial way out at every turn!

in this case of covid, magic money trees just spout up out of nowhere, go with the initial easy option, they always do, they (sorry we) will be swallowing a bitter pill, but at least FFG will be hearing about their economic mismanagement again, for years!

PUP, earned E80 a week pre covid, here have E350 now! Genius stuff!

Amazing. You've posted similar before. You're going to revel in the financial pain felt by the country? You can't wait? I hope it doesn't affect you.

the shower of morons running this country, couldnt run a bath! as if I needed covid to prove that, covid came as a surprise. But these fools would have sank the ship again at some stage. Accordingly I live within my means, far less stress, far less stress if you lose a job or face pay cuts, when this band of fools run the ship onto the rocks again. With their love of boom bust cycles, populism and incompetence!

I mean there will be broad support for lockdown, so many people are receiving more now on pup than they were working, or on same pay working from home with a number of advantages. Of the voting population, far more are actually financially or mentally better off, often a combination of the two...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

And people here think he's not enjoying his time in the spotlight. He's used this virus to make a celebrity out of himself.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I want the failure, hand wringing, bull****ting to be properly highlighted. I am sick of politicians going into politics and in what seems to be an irish in particular phenomena, actually just run the country, according to social media and the easiest possible initial way out at every turn!

in this case of covied, magic money trees just spout up out of nowhere, go with the initial easy option, they always do, they (sorry we) will be swallowing a bitter pill, but at least they will be hearing FFG about their economic mismanagement again, for years!

PUP, earned E80 a week pre covid, here have E350 now! Genius stuff!

Where do you think money comes from?

How was what we have done the easy option?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Yeah, he didn't say that so you can relax.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement

How was what we have done the easy option?

same as the crash in 2008, borrow to the hilt, to avoid public and civil servants lay off, reforms, work practice changes, pension changes. Welfare cuts and reform etc. There wouldnt have been any desire for austerity again, given what we have come out of, I get that. There is a cost to the actions taken here, its the nice pill to swallow now, its going to leave a sour taste in the mouth though eventually...

Here is another easy option they took, the **** show known as the HSE! you see eventually, all of this, never tackling the vested interests, waffling, spoofing, you cant get away with it forever!

same as the crash in 2008, borrow to the hilt, to avoid public and civil servants lay off, reforms, work practice changes, pension changes. Welfare cuts and reform etc. There wouldnt have been any desire for austerity again, given what we have come out of, I get that. There is a cost to the actions taken here, its the nice pill to swallow now, its going to leave a sour taste in the mouth though eventually...

Here is another easy option they took, the **** show known as the HSE! you see eventually, all of this, never tackling the vested interests, waffling, spoofing, you cant get away with it forever!

We are being paid interest to take money

SusieBlue wrote: »
    So we should have stayed in level 5 to avoid level 5? Stay in lockdown to prevent a lockdown?

"Lockdown has failed. So what we clearly need is more lockdowns."

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

No wonder they're not in any hurry to end lockdowns. You can see why they're hellbent on keeping this going for as long as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭Allinall

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    No wonder they're not in any hurry to end lockdowns. You can see why they're hellbent on keeping this going for as long as possible.

That’s rubbish.

oh yeah ? why did the markets turn on us the last time? unsustainable debt and look at how quickly that runaway snowball built momentum... what you are saying is true, but its a very simplistic analysis of the situation in my opinion!

From the future.

oh yeah ? why did the markets turn on us the last time? unsustainable debt and look at how quickly that runaway snowball built momentum... what you are saying is true, but its a very simplistic analysis of the situation in my opinion!

The markets have looked at us an said will I put my money in gold or instead pay Ireland to take the money.

Mr. Karate wrote: »

After spending 22bn another 2bn, and possibly some more, does not look like a terrible idea, does it? Sunk cost fallacy...

• Advertisement

Can you provide a source/link for this information?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement