Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,229 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

We are now getting 10 times the the rate of hospitalisations, and growing,

158 in the last 24 hours.

The highest daily increase back in April was 57 AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭bb1234567

pjohnson wrote: »
    The anti-restrictors have been banking on this happening since February 2020.

Full of heart they are.I can just picture all the dog pile shaming and finger wagging posts ''THIS is what the the curtain twitchers asked for '' if there's even the sniff of an increase in suicide. The moment they've been waiting for

Dr Holohan really trying to twist the knife into Government and absolve NPHET of any responsibility re the recent surge.

Again, NPHET advise the government based on the remit given to them by government.

This advice is published as is the governments decisions on policy.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Full of heart they are.I can just picture all the dog pile shaming and finger wagging posts ''THIS is what the the curtain twitchers asked for '' if there's even the sniff of an increase in suicide. The moment they've been waiting for

What an immature post...

You think people want to see other people kill themselves so they can be... right..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Im sorry but what a horrible post.

NOONE has been waiting for a moment when suicides may have increased.

Many pointed it out as a factor and something to look out for, many others dismissed it as nothing but a "mental health excuse" as was said here earlier with people on this website being open in how they were suffering and being told to "just suck it up" and "just watch netflix", you wouldnt have lasted long during the war bull**** by elements on here obsessed with lockdowns for covid so much that literally no other life mattered!

Dont play the "as if they care" card on something like this because to be honest when following this thread the lack of empathy both sides have ha bene startling at times

As someone who has had a family friend take their own life citing struggles through lockdown on their suicide note i find this idea of using suicide rates as some "ah here we go, here comes the suicide" argument point to be quite low to be honest.

• Advertisement

What an immature post...

You think people want to see other people kill themselves so they can be... right..?

You were literally wishing for suicide statistics yesterday.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

Suicides will be shooting up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭billyhead

In my estate there are still a lot of visitors to houses. Do people ever get the message?

Boggles wrote: »
    You were literally wishing for suicide statistics yesterday.

:rolleyes:

I know. Because I’m curious to see the numbers and how they compare so I can understand how big the problem is.

I’ve heard of a lot more people killing themselves lately than I ever have before.

But I’d need to see the figures to understand the extent of the issue. Maybe it’s just a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Let's color in that perception with a bit of reality.

I think you are the one who needs to work on their perception of reality because outdoor meet ups, or meet ups of any kind, were not permitted during the 6 weeks of level 5 lockdown before Christmas.

The reality is that isolating people from their families and friends for 9 weeks (because mixing households was also heavily discouraged during level 3.5, even if it wasn’t banned), closing the shops (increasing the demand for Christmas shopping) and then opening the floodgates for 3 weeks in December was a stupid move.
    And I’m not saying this with the benefit of hindsight either, I’ve been saying this since October.

The 6 week lockdown was a huge mistake and we wouldn’t have had an explosion of cases if we had stayed at level 3.5 and kept things at an even keel.
    Could I meet up with family or a friend away from my home, in a park?

No. Social or family gatherings shouldn’t take place in other settings either.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/what-would-level-5-covid-19-restrictions-look-like-for-the-country-1.4382857?mode=amp

• Advertisement

What an immature post...

100%. If there is no increase in suicide rates, do you think anyone will even mention it on this thread? You're lying if you think that will happen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

100%. If there is no increase in suicide rates, do you think anyone will even mention it on this thread? You're lying if you think that will happen

Likewise with no excess deaths.

Brushed under the carpet

I know. Because I’m curious to see the numbers and how they compare so I can understand how big the problem is.

I’ve heard of a lot more people killing themselves lately than I ever have before.

But I’d need to see the figures to understand the extent of the issue. Maybe it’s just a coincidence.

Wishing for suicide statistics is not normal under any circumstance, trying to use them to validate hearsay or your fringe opinion on restrictions is just crass.

If you do want to do something, the Samaritans are always looking for volunteers.

https://twitter.com/samaritans/status/1277629591557980166

Likewise with no excess deaths.

Brushed under the carpet

And yet that was the purpose of the lockdowns and the desired effect. Can't speak for others but I have mentioned probably dozens of times now about the fact Ireland is one of few European countries to see no excess deaths in 2020

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I think you are the one who needs to work on their perception of reality because outdoor meet ups, or meet ups of any kind, were not permitted during the 6 weeks of level 5 lockdown before Christmas.

Nope

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/66269-ireland-placed-on-level-5-of-the-plan-for-living-with-covid/
    it is possible to meet with one other household in an outdoor setting which is not a home or garden, such as a park, including for exercise

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2020-11-03/1465/#pq-answers-1465
    It is possible to meet with 1 other household in an outdoor setting which is not a home or garden, such as a park, including for the purpose of exercise

And yet that was the purpose of the lockdowns and the desired effect. Can't speak for others but I have mentioned probably dozens of times now about the fact Ireland is one of few European countries to see no excess deaths in 2020

My understanding of lockdown is that it was to allow us time to prepare so we could live with Covid.

If the purpose is to avoid death, well an adult conversation needs to happen. Because avoiding death is not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

The reality is that isolating people from their families and friends for 9 weeks (because mixing households was also heavily discouraged during level 3.5, even if it wasn’t banned), closing the shops (increasing the demand for Christmas shopping) and then opening the floodgates for 3 weeks in December was a stupid move.
    And I’m not saying this with the benefit of hindsight either, I’ve been saying this since October.

The 6 week lockdown was a huge mistake and we wouldn’t have had an explosion of cases if we had stayed at level 3.5 and kept things at an even keel.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/what-would-level-5-covid-19-restrictions-look-like-for-the-country-1.4382857?mode=amp

Agree absolutely. Level 3.5 was working fine, it’s the yoyoing between levels that is causing people to just give up. January is always a quiet month, people won’t stay in once March arrives.

Wishing for suicide statistics is not normal under any circumstance, trying to use them to validate hearsay or your fringe opinion on restrictions is just crass.

If you do want to do something, the Samaritans are always looking for volunteers.

https://twitter.com/samaritans/status/1277629591557980166

You don’t care to see suicide figures during depressing times?

So just bury any potential issue. Typical Ireland

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Either that or we'd have had the explosion of cases 6 weeks earlier.

You are really digging a hole for yourself now.

So you 100% think that people want to see others kill themselves. Ok...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Unearthly

It's quite clear certain people are pretending to care about the mental health of others. The reality is they don't, they probably want a big increase as it will then be used as a reason to cover their true feelings

True feelings is that restrictions is inconvenient to their own life, and they'd happily sacrifice other people's lives to go back to normality. I have a lot more respect for people who admit their lack of empathy and selfishness

Unearthly wrote: »
    It's quite clear certain people are pretending to care about the mental health of others. The reality is they don't, they probably want a big increase as it will then be used as a reason to cover their true feelings

True feelings is that restrictions is inconvenient to their own life, and they'd happily sacrifice other people's lives to go back to normality. I have a lot more respect for people who admit their lack of empathy and selfishness

Nobody wants people to commit suicide.
    Its disgusting that people think this...

Nobody wants people to commit suicide.
    Its disgusting that people think this...

So what is the point you are trying to make?

We should reduce restrictions and let COVID run rampant because you have a feeling suicides might increase, or something else?

Micky 32 wrote: »
    The nonsense and conspiracy theories on these forums are actualy hilarious. Maybe if you do some actual research you might post less rubbish.

explain exactly what I need to read? what have conspiracy theories got to do with my post?

instead of trying for virtual high fives from like minded incels and attacking the post, chop it up and tell me what you disagree with?

Graham wrote: »

We should reduce restrictions and let COVID run rampant because you have a feeling suicides might increase, or something else?

Jack is under the illusion it would all be rosy in the garden under those circumstances, and seems to think a pandemic could have swept the country and we'd be none the wiser.
    Wonder how Swedes felt during the pandemic when there weren't as many restrictions in place as the rest of the world?
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7503043/#:~:text=The%20purpose%20of%20this%20study%20was%20to%20examine%20if%20the,through%20a%20national%20web%20survey.
    The impacts of COVID-19 on mental health in Sweden are comparable to impacts shown in previous studies in Italy and China. Importantly, the pandemic seems to impose most on the mental health of those already burdened with the impacts of mental health problems.
    At what appears to have been the height of the COVID-19 pandemic in Sweden, so far, 45.6% of Swedish residents responding to an online survey reported symptoms reflecting significant problems in one or more areas of their mental health, including depression, anxiety, or insomnia. Also, having multiple problems was the norm—people were almost twice as likely to have more than one of these problems than they were to have just one.

The scope of the thinking behind constant lockdowns and restrictions should be much bigger.

We need to consider that most Covid deaths are people over 80 that are already in poor health. This is the reason excess deaths will be so low. Lots of these people would have died with or without Covid.

We need to consider the impact that having half a million people out of work is going to have on society.

We need to look closely at suicide figures and make sure they are not doubling or trebling.

We need to be sure that no cancer screening for months on end is not going to result in a large of cancer deaths down the line.

We need to consider that cancelling treatments is not going to lead to an increase in general deaths.

We need to consider our finances and how bad can we afford to let them get.

But I’m not so sure that any of these things are actually getting discussed or the consideration they need. Right now we don’t care about anything other than Covid.

And if anyone is concerned about the above items, we’ll they are obviously just very selfish and ultimately just want pints.

So you're not suggest anything other than we think about it?

Helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

pjohnson wrote: »
    The anti-restrictors have been banking on this happening since February 2020.

Two really disgusting posts, posters like them playing down the affects on mental health for months now. People are scared and alone out there, its a real problem.

niallo27 wrote: »
    People are scared and alone out there, its a real problem.

and your solution is.....

• Advertisement

So you're not suggest anything other than we think about it?

Helpful.

Well for starters, the country should have been fully open between May and September. That would have had a massive positive impact on all items.

But instead we were concerned etc etc and remained closed.

The same will likely happen again. We’ll stay in lockdown much longer than needed.

The Covid hysteria has gotten so insane that I think people wouldn’t care if cancer deaths trebled in a few years as long as we kept the Covid deaths down.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement