Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Tork

What is this 26 you are quoting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

How do you know? The numbers dont fall under retail.

What do they fall under then? “Chats after shopping”? Or “Chats while shopping”?

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

Tork wrote: »
    What is this 26 you are quoting?

Number of outbreaks Aug-Dec 2020.

But that doesn't count for the people that pick it up in a group after shopping.

Whole idea is to stop groups forming

Also, if that is the whole idea behind closing the retail. Parks and walks should be closed and banned too. People stop and chat to others. That is just nuts, crazy dangerous. That cannot be allowed, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Tork

walus wrote: »
    Number of outbreaks Aug-Dec 2020.
    Outbreaks amongst shop assistants or is the general public also included?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

What do they fall under then? “Chats after shopping”? Or “Chats while shopping”?

Not in retail.env so cant be retail.

Tork wrote: »
    Outbreaks amongst shop assistants or is the general public also included?

Total number of outbreaks notified in Republic of Ireland.

Not in retail.env so cant be retail.

Parallel universe?

Why do you think it is a difficult concept for me? I fully understand the logic behind it. What I’m saying is that there are 15 other locations of outbreaks that are of higher significance than retail, and that gain-to-cost ratio for closing the retail is shockingly low. Looking at the cost of that I cannot see how one could justify this at all.

What about the sources that aren’t traced?

What about the sources that aren’t traced?

What about them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Also, if that is the whole idea behind closing the retail. Parks and walks should be closed and banned too. People stop and chat to others. That is just nuts, crazy dangerous. That cannot be allowed, right?

People in parks are meant to be from the same support bubble and it gives people the chance to exercise which is extremely important.

People in parks are meant to be from the same support bubble and it gives people the chance to exercise which is extremely important.

Of course. I’m sure they are.

What about them?

You do know that more than 50% of cases currently are community and by definition not in the clusters report?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

My missus's grandfather just died, a number of counties over. The man had five kids, so the grandchildren are hardly covered in the six odd people allowed at a funeral. Can I drive her down if we stay away from the service and keep well away from other people? We've no interest in getting up close to anyone...

You do know that more than 50% of cases currently are community and by definition not in the clusters report?

Any indication how many can be linked with a retail environment? Or any decently logic that gives a worthy estimate?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Any indication how many can be linked with a retail environment? Or any decently logic that gives a worthy estimate?

If the link to retail was established they would be in the clusters.

You can be sure they are not linked to homes though.

I don’t think retail is a major source of outbreaks by the way, but when you have massive community spread you do what you can to break the chain of spread between clusters. So you decide what needs to remain open, as an acceptable, or necessary risk, and put a break between as many of the other possible sources of transmission, for as short a time as possible. And what do you know...it’s working...again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Reality is, we still haven’t even hit 2M deaths with over 90M known cases. KNOWN a key word. Thankfully it’s been very mild.

Perspective is important.

Covid recently passed out diarrhoea on the death count.

https://www.infectiousdiseaseadvisor.com/home/topics/gi-illness/diarrhea-remains-leading-cause-of-global-mortality-and-morbidity/

“ They found that in 2016, diarrhea caused a total of 1,655,944 deaths”

Diarrhoea kills over 2000 children each day in the world.

https://www.infectiousdiseaseadvisor.com/home/topics/gi-illness/diarrhea-remains-leading-cause-of-global-mortality-and-morbidity/

A few posters on here seem to fine despite having bouts of the verbal brow beating lockdown variant of same diarrhea...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Says the man announcing diarrhoea death stats while quoting the man who can’t wait for the suicide stats to come out.

• Advertisement

Says the man announcing diarrhoea death stats while quoting the man who can’t wait for the suicide stats to come out.

I think everybody should be eager to see the suicide stats after such a hard year for people were the government took away so many social outlets for people as well as forcing people out of work. I want to see the extent of the issue, if there even is an issue.

It’s ok if you don’t care about suicide. But plenty of people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

I think everybody should be eager to see the suicide stats after such a hard year for people were the government took away so many social outlets for people as well as forcing people out of work. I want to see the extent of the issue, if there even is an issue.

It’s ok if you don’t care about suicide. But plenty of people do.

I know very well where businesses would be without government intervention. If you really think hospitality would have survived a year of paying staff with a fraction of its custom you’d be very much mistaken. And how decent it is off you to consider I don’t care about suicides. You’ve no idea.

I know very well where businesses would be without government intervention. If you really think hospitality would have survived a year of paying staff with a fraction of its custom you’d be very much mistaken. And how decent it is off you to consider I don’t care about suicides. You’ve no idea.

Why would they have a fraction of their custom?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I think everybody should be eager to see the suicide stats

Bit morbid. No.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Penfailed wrote: »
    Bit morbid. No.

It’s not, it’s highlighting an issue of deaths that can be prevented.

Possibly more so than deaths that occur beyond life expectancy that we have been hearing about for 10 months

Penfailed wrote: »
    Bit morbid. No.

Not really different than announcing how many people died with Covid each evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,053 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

This is an incredible stat considering they weren't even tested in the 'first wave'.

It seems that the previous death of the poor young girl with heart condition in Mayo has been denotified as a covid death.

https://twitter.com/indepdubnrth/status/1349127741329825799

Before Epidemiologists can calculate the Case Fatality Rate for Covid in 0-24 yr olds in Ireland, they will need at least one fatality.

20,402 confirmed cases, in that cohort, and still waiting....

This is an incredible stat considering they weren't even tested in the 'first wave'.

It seems that the previous death of the poor young girl with heart condition in Mayo has been denotified as a covid death.

Before Epidemiologists can calculate the Case Fatality Rate for Covid in 0-24 yr olds in Ireland, they will need at least one fatality.

And Glynn went out of his way today to reiterate that the illness is deadly to all ages.

Incredible thing to say with the stats in front of him.

Luckily it’s not as dangerous to children as influenza

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/health/influenza-41-child-deaths-recorded-over-past-decade-1.4348133%3fmode=amp

“During the 2018-2019 flu season alone, two children aged between five and 14 died from the virus, according to data from the Health Protection Surveillance Centre.“

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

I don’t think anybody is claiming that Covid isn’t causing deaths. It mainly kills those that are already in very poor health and likely to die soon with or without Covid.

But it also can kill the elderly that may have several years remaining. And it can kill younger people a tiny percentage of the time.

Excess deaths during a pandemic is not unusual to see. But we are very lucky that Covid was nowhere near as deadly as we once thought. Remember early on when people were suggesting there could be 50 - 100 million deaths... Yeah that was very wrong.

People that made those kind of predictions are now desperately trying to prove that there are at least some excess deaths. Goalposts shifting and all that.

Reality is, we still haven’t even hit 2M deaths with over 90M known cases. KNOWN a key word. Thankfully it’s been very mild.

you still don't get it. we have 2 million deaths with most of the world locked down for the best part of a year. with no lockdowns and other control measures the deaths would easily be 20-50 million.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement