Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,229 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I really don’t get people like you who are happy with the lockdowns but break the rules. I disagree with level 5 but will adhere to the rules imposed.

So you an outlier to every single person you know who are breaking the rules?
    Practically everyone I know has made special arrangements whither their hairdresser. Some have also made it for nails and other services

Fair play to you, you are doing the hard thing, which is the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

We were never locked down for HIV/aids.
    Yea but in fairness you couldn’t get aids/hiv by being in the same room as someone with a cough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,841 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

We were never locked down for HIV/aids. Last time I reply to you, go fix your hair.

You're only getting bitchy because you are 100% stupidly wrong.

At the start of this all we had the halfwit videoing himself licking toilet seats (who then later caught it and then bawled his eyes out). At least in his defence it was somewhat new at the time. To be still in denial of the science at this point in time is a whole different level

There used to be a time when anti restrictions posters were called crazy. But the pro restrictions are really coming out with some whoppers now.

Saying Lockdown EASILY prevented 50M deaths without a shred of evidence to back up such wild speculation. That’s laughable, conspiracy forum stuff.

Saying the economy is doing well and is going to bounce back very soon. Laughable stuff again. Tell that to the half a million out of work.

Trying to claim that deaths are OF Covid when even the Taoiseach and CMO have admitted that the deaths include possible, probable and people that didn’t even have a positive test.

Keep clutching at those straws lads.

The reality is that there isn’t even 2M deaths globally yet. Even less excess deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I really don’t get people like you who are happy with the lockdowns but break the rules. I disagree with level 5 but will adhere to the rules imposed.

Maybe he was taking essential trips? That's not breaking the rules.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Level 2 after Easter if vaccine timetable goes to plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Gael23 wrote: »

Level 3 i say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

There used to be a time when anti restrictions posters were called crazy. But the pro restrictions are really coming out with some whoppers now.

It really is an insight into the mental impact these restrictions are having on people!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,229 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

There used to be a time when anti restrictions posters were called crazy.

When did that time expire?

Boggles wrote: »
    When did that time expire?

Probably when lockdown supporters started claiming lockdown has prevented 50M deaths and the economy is grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

If everyone on the planet got the virus it may be close to 40 to 50 million deaths, however in 12 months that would be unlikely, even with no measure, so you would probably have been looking at circa 15-20 million deaths if no action had been taken. Luckily countries aren't like the denizens of this thread so we have no data one way or the other as most countries dont tend to use their citizens as subjects of massive experiments. And in the absence of data contrarians have filled to gap with half baked nonsense, which usually ends with the rejoinder "but where is the evidence the lockdown works" and the infantile belief that that somehow proves their point.

And no measures stop 100% of transmission by the way. Social distancing at greater than 2 meters significantly reduces risk, but doesn't eliminate it, masks reduce risk to a lesser extent, but dont eliminate it. The combination of all the measures are what are there to suppress growth

Do you agree 50m deaths is a figure calculated with absolutely no mitigation measures.

Lockdown didn’t prevent 50m deaths to try to back that statement up is remedial group think

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Level 3 i say.

Country can’t sustain 3 months of level 5

Probably when lockdown supporters started claiming lockdown has prevented 50M deaths and the economy is grand.

Group think.

The lord will rise is 3 days

Saying Lockdown EASILY prevented 50M deaths without a shred of evidence to back up such wild speculation. That’s laughable, conspiracy forum stuff.

Saying the economy is doing well and is going to bounce back very soon. Laughable stuff again. Tell that to the half a million out of work.

Trying to claim that deaths are OF Covid when even the Taoiseach and CMO have admitted that the deaths include possible, probable and people that didn’t even have a positive test.

The reality is that there isn’t even 2M deaths globally yet. Even less excess deaths.

As I've said previously, I'm neither anti-restriction or pro-restriction. I don't like/want restrictions but I understand the need for them.

I haven't thrown out possible death figures, I haven't said that the economy will bounce back soon and I haven't tried to claim that deaths are 'of' Covid.

I've posted the above for clarity, lest I get pigeonholed into a group that I'm not part of.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

The only evidence that would satisy you would require a time machine and the ability to manipulate global governments. Handy that.

Well I never gave you the reason why I leave Dublin. But my point was you are not stuck in Dublin.

We are in a heavy lockdown now because when in level 3, instead of keeping our social contacts low, we instead increase it to over a 50 or a 100 per person!!

Some people. The average person did not

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Country can’t sustain 3 months of level 5

Everything is grand. No need to panic. We can kick the can for a while longer yet.

It’s when the can reaches the end of the road the fun begins and we will look back and say if only we had taken action earlier.

Mehole and all the boys will be retired on big pensions and you and I will pick up the tab once again

Great little country all the same.

The turkeys just keep on voting for Christmas.

Do you agree 50m deaths is a figure calculated with absolutely no mitigation measures.

Lockdown didn’t prevent 50m deaths to try to back that statement up is remedial group think

You know those 'mitigation measures' you talk about? They're called restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Penfailed wrote: »
    ...and then they are denotified.

Only probable/possible cases are denotified on review. All deaths with a laboratory confirmed Covid positive result are reported as Covid deaths and included in figures reported regardless of cause of death. This is per WHO recommendation.

You know those 'mitigation measures' you talk about? They're called restrictions.

Restrictions are closing retail, gyms and prevention of citizen's movement?

Mitigation measures I consider mask wearing, social distancing and embargo’s on crowds gathering at matches etc

But you know this, as only closing retail and restaurants are considered restrictions.

Opening socially distanced restaurants for limited custom, and having barbers open is considered letting it rip it seems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I'd like them to make it so that when they relax restrictions they will never have to raise them again. Level 3 for a few weeks first.

If people take the piss in level 3 and case numbers rise like a shot then they will have to pause relaxation.

I dont want to go to level 2 and talk about level 5 to buy time for more vaccination.

Who know though.

Only probable/possible cases are denotified on review. All deaths with a laboratory confirmed Covid positive result are reported as Covid deaths and included in figures reported regardless of cause of death. This is per WHO recommendation.

Yeah, I was replying to someone who said that someone who had died of natural causes was marked down as a Covid death. If they had Covid, they didn't die of natural causes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

The emboldened text has been discussed numerous times. That was to prevent a run on face masks to free them up for the health service.

so they lied.
    you may understand their motives but they lied but we should believe them now.

interestingly the science at that point proved that masks (the standard not anything fancy) didn't have any effect really.
    But lo and behold new science emerged to suit the narrative kind of like when the WHO updated their definition of herd immunity recently.
    decades of science and understanding just changed with a cut/paste.
    odd that.

0.17% of the population of Belgium has died, only major restrictions are keeping this somewhat in check. 0.22% of the population of New Jersey, 0.2% of the population of New York and cases there are higher than they ever were, telling us that we are nowhere closing to getting a slowing effect due to inherent immunity - probably at 30% or less prevalence. This tells us what the death rates are likely to be in western populations. Around about 0.6%. Estimates have been consistent at this level for months

Only a couple of posters are claiming that. 10 million would be a lowball estimate

Restrictions are closing retail, gyms and prevention of citizen's movement?

Mitigation measures I consider mask wearing, social distancing and embargo’s on crowds gathering at matches etc

But you know this, as only closing retail and restaurants are considered restrictions.

Opening socially distanced restaurants for limited custom, and having barbers open is considered letting it rip it seems

You are really dancing on the head of a pin here. Mask wearing is a restriction as it's restricting people from shopping as normal, social distancing is a restriction from the norm, a socially distanced restaurant is a restriction on the restaurant operating normally, an embargo on the number of people normally allowed into a ground is another name for a restriction.

But you know this.

paw patrol wrote: »
    so they lied.

interestingly the science at that point proved that masks (the standard not anything fancy) didn't have any effect really.
    But lo and behold new science emerged to suit the narrative kind of like when the WHO updated their definition of herd immunity recently.
    odd that.

They are learning as they go along. I'd be shocked if they didn't. It's a novel virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,841 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

paw patrol wrote: »
    so they lied.

odd that.

It was clear at the time. No?

Masks were not a practical alternative solution to restrictions for March 2020

The same as vaccinations are not a practical alternative solution to restrictions for Jan 2021
    Not enough to go around yet! Most people also didn't know how to wear/handle them properly

BTW, Czech Republic were praised for implementing masks quickly. Great numbers at the start but really deteriorated later on - even with masks. All else equal then properly used masks definitely improve things. But if masks change behaviour then that change can leave you worse off overall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

The thing is that considering no mitigation strategies (i.e. masks, social distancing etc.) the maximum number of people that could have ever die is under 8m globally.

50m... wow. But then again 50m justifies all those restrictions measures irrespective of how effective they really are. And so people are telling themselves these kind of stupid stories and pull numbers out of their ar5es, so it fits their narrative and endorses their version of reality. Nothing new really, simple human psychology.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

walus wrote: »
    The thing is that considering no mitigation strategies (i.e. masks, social distancing etc.) the maximum number of people that could have ever die is under 8m globally.

50m... wow. But then again 50m justifies all those restrictions measures irrespective of how effective they really are. And so people are telling themselves these kind of stupid stories and pull numbers out of their ar5es, so it fits their narrative and endorses their version of reality. Nothing new really, simple human psychology.

Under 8 million globally? Can i see evidence for this please as was demanded of me. Or did you just "pull that number out of your arse" as you say yourself. Or do you only want evidence for opinions contrary to your own?

The hypocrisy here is hilarious.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement