Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Will you stop trying to sound informed, it’s getting old now and you do not have one iota about the mechanics of what what you are posting about.

Pot, meet kettle.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Penfailed wrote: »
    Pot, meet kettle.

To be fair I only bite when bitten!

There is a few around here that watch a lot of videos on Twitter to educate themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

It’s not me who thinks restrictions do nothing to save lives even though we are in the middle of our third restriction induced drop, and it’s been repeated all over Europe. Something must explain the blinkers?

It’s not me either.

Cut out the straw man arguments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Yet you’re on the mask thread saying you’re anti-mask. You’re very confused!

Where did I mention masks?

Or is it that anyone saying anything against masks must be covid a denier or something?

I am confused indeed.

walus wrote: »
    I would agree that care homes will present a fantastic investment opportunity in a not so distant future. People live long and will live even longer in the future.

As for the mRNA vaccine I would rather hold my praise for a couple of years. Let’s see first how it reacts in bodies of those people with a history of gamma retroviruses.

Gamma retroviruses? The class of retroviruses that have not yet been detected in humans? If you have new information you should publish your paper and expect renown in the virology community. Or maybe it’s from the writings of Judy Mikovits who had a thoroughly debunked paper on retrovirus associated with ME and now spends her time promoting various anti vac and Covid conspiracies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

Gamma retroviruses? The class of retroviruses that have not yet been detected in humans? If you have new information you should publish your paper and expect renown in the virology community. Or maybe it’s from the writings of Judy Mikovits who had a thoroughly debunked paper on retrovirus associated with ME and now spends her time promoting various anti vac and Covid conspiracies?

Last time I checked they have been detecting these viruses in humans for the past 15 years. They transfer from cats, mice etc, onto people. I think it is still unknown how that actually happens. There is a number of publications in the context of a potential hazards with vaccines.

But sure, you may have acquired a better intelligence between reading my post and replying to it. That would be an awesome speed of doing quality research that I’ve seen in my time.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

Last time I checked they have been detecting these viruses in humans for the past 15 years. They transfer from cats, mice etc, onto people. I think it is still unknown how that actually happens. There is a number of publications in the context of a potential hazards with vaccines.

But sure, you may have acquired a better intelligence between reading my post and replying to it. That would be an awesome speed of doing quality research that I’ve seen in my time.

Detected. Never associated with any disease or harm. You seem to believe they would cause some interaction with the mRNA vaccines. What is the mechanism and where is your source?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

Detected. Never associated with any disease or harm. You seem to believe they would cause some interaction with the mRNA vaccines. What is the mechanism and where is your source?

These viruses as such are not pathogenic. Some types were discovered in cancer patients, for example.
    I’ve only started looking into this in detail as it is an interesting topic.

My reply in reference to mRNA was that we need time to put it in the same basket as “discovery of antibiotics” as you say. I’m simply sceptical, neither optimistic, nor pessimistic.

I was sceptical when they were saying COVID was going to kill 150k people in Ireland, and tens if not hundred millions worldwide. And I’m sceptical today, with an announcement of a vaccine, that has been around for a couple of weeks or a month and is touted to cure this problem in a flash.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

That's some world class backpedaling.
    Bravo.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

NPHET wanted the opening of hospitality delayed in December.

Government didn't do this but did delay household gatherings.

Had the government delayed hospitality but not household as NPHET suggested, would this surge have been any less? I dont believe so.

Also, it's no coincidence that Ireland went from the lowest to the highest rates in the world. Being the lowest almost guaranteed that at some stage the piper would have to be paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

NPHET wanted the opening of hospitality delayed in December.

Government didn't do this but did delay household gatherings.

Had the government delayed hospitality but not household as NPHET suggested, would this surge have been any less? I dont believe so.

Also, it's no coincidence that Ireland went from the lowest to the highest rates in the world. Being the lowest almost guaranteed that at some stage the piper would have to be paid.

To be fair they didn’t go lowest rates in the world, lowest rates in Europe maybe.

I didn’t think it go to worst in the world, but with Xmas it wasn’t going be a picnic. Irish government didn’t do enough to dissuade people travelling which is where you got hammered. They can blame new strains etc but problem with Irish government is they have no balls to do anything about it they could have ordered army to park buses across the runway at the airport to prevent aircraft landing (but move them for fright) that would have reduced a lot of infected arriving.

Now just have to accept it and suck it up.

These viruses as such are not pathogenic. Some types were discovered in cancer patients, for example.
    I’ve only started looking into this in detail as it is an interesting topic.

My reply in reference to mRNA was that we need time to put it in the same basket as “discovery of antibiotics” as you say. I’m simply sceptical, neither optimistic, nor pessimistic.

I was sceptical when they were saying COVID was going to kill 150k people in Ireland, and tens if not hundred millions worldwide. And I’m sceptical today, with an announcement of a vaccine, that has been around for a couple of weeks or a month and is touted to cure this problem in a flash.

You specifically said wait for a couple of years for the effects in people who had previously had a gammaretrovirus. You must have read this somewhere?

JRant wrote: »
    That's some world class backpedaling.
    Bravo.

It’s not backpedaling at all. The op postulated and risk associated with a specific type of virus which has shown no harm and now won’t discuss where this idea came from. I am suspicious because this particular type of virus aligns with the previous work of an utterly discredited scientist who now sells their brand of anti vac and Covid conspiracy nonsense widely on contrarian media. If the poster would share where their ideas about this particular type of virus come from it would clear things up

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

This is not the vaccine thread, it is also not the Conspiracy Theory Forum. Keep this sort of discussion to the appropriate thread/forum

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

mandrake04 wrote: »
    To be fair they didn’t go lowest rates in the world, lowest rates in Europe maybe.

I didn’t think it go to worst in the world, but with Xmas it wasn’t going be a picnic. Irish government didn’t do enough to dissuade people travelling which is where you got hammered. They can blame new strains etc but problem with Irish government is they have no balls to do anything about it they could have ordered army to park buses across the runway at the airport to prevent aircraft landing (but move them for fright) that would have reduced a lot of infected arriving.

Now just have to accept it and suck it up.

3o6Zt1o8FHBrjlBdYY.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

This argument is getting tiresome and to be honest should be a bannable offence at this stage (unless the poster you are disagreeing with says that's what he wants to do).

I don't know anyone right now that thinks they should be allowed to 'go for pints' but you assume that's what everyone with a contrarian view to you thinks and desires.

I believe I should be able to go for pints today if I want and the barman wants to serve me.
    As individuals we should be able to make risk assessments and act accordingly.
    Its a weird concept this individual liberty much rather the serfdom of letting the state control your daily life.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

paw patrol wrote: »
    I believe I should be able to go for pints today if I want and the barman wants to serve me.
    Its a weird concept this individual liberty much rather the serfdom of letting the state control your daily life.

Out of interest, would you also take personal liability if you then went on an infected someone else? Individual liberty also requires individual responsibility

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Out of interest, would you also take personal liability if you then went on an infected someone else? Individual liberty also requires individual responsibility

Out of interest, what test shows where someone picked up the virus? For personal liability purposes, of course. You can't be liable for a maybe.

no. definitely not.
    I would say that honesty is paramount and dishonest people are unpleasant. I'm very honest about my attitude and as a result I haven't seen some friends in a year due to their covid attitude and I fully respect that.
    nobody i'm around isn't aware of my comings and going - people who would go to the pub would accept the risk likewise the gym - tbh i'm more in gym than pub

There is no evidence that Covid infects people in supermarkets or the park where i may encounter strangers.
    Risk is everywhere, if you are worried take steps ,stay at home

I should be able to go for pints because it's my individual liberty.

:pac:

Whatever legitimate debate was there about the make up of restrictions has just been fúcked out the window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

Boggles wrote: »

Whatever legitimate debate was there about the make up of restrictions has just been fúcked out the window.

Jesus is there any need to be so patronising :rolleyes:

And as another poster says this pouncing on the idea of "going for a pint" is beyond tiresome at this stage. It's so stereotypical and downright stupid.

I wouldn't care if I never again saw the inside of a pub because I'm not a pub goer. But I do support people's right to choose as well as worry about the impact on businesses which ultimately impacts us all. Which are the basic arguments of those who don't support excessive blanket lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

acequion wrote: »

And as another poster says this pouncing on the idea of "going for a pint" is beyond tiresome at this stage. It's so stereotypical and downright stupid.

I wouldn't care if I never again saw the inside of a pub because I'm not a pub goer. But I do support people's right to choose as well as worry about the impact on businesses which ultimately impacts us all. Which are the basic arguments of those who don't support excessive blanket lockdowns.

I completely agree. Unfortunately there are some on this thread who would be suited for a role in the Irish version of the Stasi were it, in their dreams, to come about.

acequion wrote: »

Maybe read the OP before you go off one lad.

paw patrol wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

I'm 100% sure there's no one on this thread who believes thy should be allowed go for pints at the moment, despite what they say. Of course, it's the main go-to line for the lockdown lovers to stem debate. It's cheap and unintelligent but not surprising.

Should we have been allowed for pints back in the Summer when cases were on the floor and we went 16 days without a death, yes. But the government was chasing gold at the Covid19 Olympics to make themselves look good and thus the population suffered which resulted in chaos at Christmas and look at us now.

Balancing restrictions with supporting data was not done, a blanket lockdown for much of the summer. NPHET's over cautious approach has us where we are today, a total mess. People were given an inch at Christmas and took a mile and who can blame them.

Donnelly bragging about us being the best in Europe a few weeks back didn't help either, it gave a false sense of security to become complacent when restrictions eased a little.

Here we are now stuck in some sort of weird limbo. Lockdown level 5 but no end in sight. No vaccines numbers. No confidence in the HSE. No confidence in the bungling Donnelly.

A truly depressing time to be alive.

I completely agree. Unfortunately there are some on this thread who would be suited for a role in the Irish version of the Stasi were it, in their dreams, to come about.

Yes agreeing with public measures in a public health crisis is like being in the Stasi.

Lundstram wrote: »

Should we have been allowed for pints back in the Summer

I had lots of pints in the summer as had a fair few posters on here.

How come you didn't go for pints?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

The north have given all residents in nursing homes the 2nd dose of vaccine but here they hope to have it done by February. North have administered 100,000 vaccines, here not sure if it even 40,000.

Uk has vaccinated already 3 million. Just a f*cking joke. Anything to prolong the misery of lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭facehugger99

fin12 wrote: »
    The north have given all residents in nursing homes the 2nd dose of vaccine but here they hope to have it done by February. North have administered 100,000 vaccines, here not sure if it even 40,000.

Uk has vaccinated already 3 million. Just a f*cking joke. Anything to prolong the misery of lockdowns.

Doubt they doing it on purpose, the HSE are just a deeply bureaucratic and dysfunctional organization.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Threadbanned

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »

why not? What is wrong with people making risk assessments for themselves.
    if you're going to refute my view then give a point instead that sh1te.

the other posters are right this pints dig is tiresome. My point always has been that I wanted no restrictions only advise and guidelines - the pub being part of it, although i'd be in the gym more myself.

containing the virus and zero covid is a pipe dream unless we close the boarders and once we reopen it'll come back from abroad.
    we are seeing massive amounts of covid now as a result of restrictions and people being kept artificially apart then let mingle again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement