Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,637 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Manniot2 do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 13,795 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

First day off tomorrow in 2 weeks working in a hospital in Dublin. Very large numbers of people from 50 up presenting with pneumonia. Not contracting it in hospital, not particularly unhealthy people before this. Very sobering.
    Fair play to all the lads here with their ‘opinions’ about what’s really going on. Even if your number if up this year dying of pneumonia and sepsis is a hell of a ****ty way to go. People won’t and don’t care and will go out of their way to continue with the same narrative, I realise that now and I’m at peace with it. I’ve changed my tune considerably since Christmas tbh.

Exactly how I feel .
    For those revelling in supposed hospital acquired infection being 50% , or thereabouts, that is due to those infected already being admitted and testing positive thereafter,
    as well as those in hospital being infected due to transmission from patient or staff .

Believe me we all agree the worst place to be in a pandemic is in the midst of all those infected , but some of us have no choice .
    Hopefully you all will stay well and hope noone here has to endure what others are enduring atm unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

There is nobody revelling in anything, this past 10 months has been a huge challenge on even the healthiest of minds, over 5 million people are locked in their homes this evening...an unprecedented action taken by any government.

Some people have bought into the hysteria
    Some have not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

First day off tomorrow in 2 weeks working in a hospital in Dublin. Very large numbers of people from 50 up presenting with pneumonia. Not contracting it in hospital, not particularly unhealthy people before this. Very sobering.
    Fair play to all the lads here with their ‘opinions’ about what’s really going on. Even if your number if up this year dying of pneumonia and sepsis is a hell of a ****ty way to go. People won’t and don’t care and will go out of their way to continue with the same narrative, I realise that now and I’m at peace with it. I’ve changed my tune considerably since Christmas tbh.
    Goldengirl wrote: »
    Exactly how I feel .
    For those revelling in supposed hospital acquired infection being 50% , or thereabouts, that is due to those infected already being admitted and testing positive thereafter,
    as well as those in hospital being infected due to transmission from patient or staff .

Believe me we all agree the worst place to be in a pandemic is in the midst of all those infected , but some of us have no choice .
    Hopefully you all will stay well and hope noone here has to endure what others are enduring atm unfortunately.

Thank you for clearing up the hospital admissions/infections situation. I doubt it will deter those that are hell bent on finger pointing though.

And well done you two. Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

emeldc wrote: »
    Thank you for clearing up the hospital admissions/infections situation. I doubt it will deter those that are hell bent on finger pointing though.

Who NPHET?

• Advertisement

Who NPHET?

There was a time on the thread when you contributed at least. Now you’re just becoming very predictable and boring Fintan. Change the record.

There was a time on the thread when you contributed at least. Now you’re just becoming very predictable and boring Fintan. Change the record.

You need to try a lot harder.

On a serious note, both Covid threads are exceptionally quiet tonight, I often wonder why that happens?

Nobody is doing anything different than last Friday night, do they just get fed up of talking about it I wonder?

Desensitised perhaps

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

And well done you two. Keep up the good work.

You just have to look at the daily report to see the figures, its clear when you look admissions less discharges and then additional people in hospital with Covid that there is infection occuring/ being identified in hospital

It was 50% tonight

And that was what the CCO of the HSE said this week

Its an inescapable fact that hospitals are ripe for spreading infection, not the fault of front line workers however

On a serious note, both Covid threads are exceptionally quiet tonight, I often wonder why that happens?

Nobody is doing anything different than last Friday night, do they just get fed up of talking about it I wonder?

Desensitised perhaps

I’m not biting. You’re full of sh1t.

I’m not biting. You’re full of sh1t.

Ah fair enough.

Yet again nothing to contribute but pathetic immature insults.

I did try to engage in debate, but you could only display of the level your at.

Which is lower than most here

• Advertisement

Who NPHET?
    You were being a smart arse with that post. As you have been with plenty of others. Stick to debating. Comedy is not your strong point.

You were being a smart arse that post. As you have been with plenty of others. Stick to debating. Comedy is not your strong point.

Once is enough.

I tried to engage with debate.

You took the knuckle dragging option

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Desensitised perhaps

Totally desensitised by the numbers at this stage, even the deaths I think most people pay little attention to them at this stage if they are honest

Once is enough.

I tried to engage with debate.

You took the knuckle dragging option

Nope, you told me try a lot harder. That’s not how you start a debate. I was thanking the two frontline workers, you chose to be a smart arse with your Nphet comment. Maybe you could have thanked them as well. But no, you’re above that no doubt.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Totally desensitised by the numbers at this stage, even the deaths I think most people pay little attention to them at this stage if they are honest

I remember a doctor did an AMA earlier last year and predicted that by the turn of the year most people would ignore the death rate.

Looks kind of prophetic now

niallo27 wrote: »

To be honest, they don’t tell us much anyways.

The deaths are WITH Covid and include people that are very old and in very poor health. Also includes possible and probable as admitted by the Taoiseach and CMO. Excess deaths would be more interesting to see.

Similar with hospitals. 50% caught it in there. So how many are actually sick?

Numbers are just numbers without context. And a lot of the context is hidden or more difficult to find.

To be honest, they don’t tell us much anyways.

The deaths are WITH Covid and include people that are very old and in very poor health. Also includes possible and probable as admitted by the Taoiseach and CMO. Excess deaths would be more interesting to see.

Similar with hospitals. 50% caught it in there. So how many are actually sick?

The excess deaths for 2020 are less than 2018.

As regards the 50% of hospital cases having contracted the disease in hospitals it seems that they caught the disease in the community, got admitted to hospital for other reasons, and tested positive for Covid after a few days.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

does anyone else not even bother sterilising their hands anymore going into a shop? not trying to sound like a hero or a kunt or anything but im just sick of it all so much, like its a cold or a mild flu if i get it, who cares.

I now know about 3 people that have had it, one died back in March due to complications, 2 others had loss of smell and taste and nothing else.

my folks are gone back to spain as theyre just sick of this yoyo lockdown bull**** in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,795 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Stheno wrote: »
    You just have to look at the daily report to see the figures, its clear when you look admissions less discharges and then additional people in hospital with Covid that there is infection occuring/ being identified in hospital

It was 50% tonight

And that was what the CCO of the HSE said this week

Its an inescapable fact that hospitals are ripe for spreading infection, not the fault of front line workers however

How much infection is caused by transmission in hospital, and how much by people coming in already infected for something else but not testing positive initially , and then becoming symptomatic or being retested .
    Those figures are not available so , no disagreement there .
    However those cases should be dropping as elective admissions are cancelled .
    Still emergency non Covid being admitted though .
    Unfortunately people test negative and then positive a few days after admission into non Covid areas , so it is not necessarily transmission IN hospital .

The excess deaths for 2020 are less than 2018.

As regards the 50% of hospital cases having contracted the disease in hospitals it seems that they caught the disease in the community, got admitted to hospital for other reasons, and tested positive for Covid after a few days.
    ;)

have you proof of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

copeyhagen wrote: »
    does anyone else not even bother sterilising their hands anymore going into a shop? not trying to sound like a hero or a kunt or anything but im just sick of it all so much, like its a cold or a mild flu if i get it, who cares.

I now know about 3 people that have had it, one died back in March due to complications, 2 others had loss of smell and taste and nothing else.

my folks are gone back to spain as theyre just sick of this yoyo lockdown bull**** in Ireland.

If you get a serious case of it I`m sure you will care abut it very quickly.

If you get a serious case of it I`m sure you will care abut it very quickly.

i dont have any underlying conditions so im pretty sure i wouldnt be too worried, as im not. and nobody else healthy under the age of 65 should be either.

didnt someone post the HSE death figures for 2021 this week and NOBODY under the 55-65 age bracket had died, out of THOUSANDS of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

i dont have any underlying conditions so im pretty sure i wouldnt be too worried, as im not. and nobody else healthy under the age of 65 should be either.

didnt someone post the HSE death figures for 2021 this week and NOBODY under the 55-65 age bracket had died, out of THOUSANDS of cases.
    Between this, the housing crisis and the massive f*cking rescission looming , is it any wonder Someone wanted to blow up government buildings today.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

fin12 wrote: »
    Between this, the housing crisis and the massive f*cking rescission looming , is it any wonder Someone wanted to blow up government buildings today.

Like the Trump supporting nut jobs tried to do ?

fin12 wrote: »

What exactly are you alluding to?

It’s not clear?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Penfailed

You were being a smart arse with that post. As you have been with plenty of others. Stick to debating. Comedy is not your strong point.

Sometimes his comedy is actually pretty good.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Penfailed wrote: »
    Sometimes his comedy is actually pretty good.

Well that’s an unintentional part of my scientific debate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Gerry Killeen is back!!! 100% of population need to be vaccinated before lifting restrictions!!!

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2021/01/15/saturdays-papers-67/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=editorial-social

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

This virus loves hospitals and nursing homes.

It’s not surprising though to see younger people in ICU. First of all, they may be in ICU for an entirely different reason and just happened to test positive while there. But chances of survival in ICU are extremely high. Probably we admit people who do t really need it.

But also, we know that most Covid deaths are too sick for ICU anyways. Median age of deaths is 82 today.

It's not that they are "too sick" for ICU. Many people at that age, and indeed younger if they have other terminal conditions, have Do Not Resuscitate status. An 80-year-old with a DNR status wont be given an ICU bed.

No one is admitted to an ICU bed that "doesnt really need it". I'm not sure where you are getting your information from or if you are just making it up to fit your narrative. These beds are given to patients that are deemed to require critical one-on-one care.

Chances of survival are not "really high" either. It depends what you go in with but this article suggests 50%.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/read-this/what-actually-happens-you-icu-and-patients-chances-survival-2531826?amp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

From yesterday
    All of these 50 deaths occurred in January 2021. The median age of those who died was 82 years, and the age range was 45-96 years. There were no newly reported deaths in healthcare workers. There were no newly reported deaths in young people under the age of 30

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement