Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

NIMAN wrote: »
    The roads are definitely a lot quieter than the last L5 we had.
    I WFH, only venture into town once a week now, to do the 'big shop'.
    Perhaps visit little local shop once as well to restock on milk and bread, but outside of that its just a walk or cycle within 2km.

I think most are complying too. And if he thinks loads of others aren't, perhaps we need to see the evidence.

100 fines and 200 ordered to turn back in a wicklow location yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

2 house parties up the road from us last night.

Did you go down to tell them how stupid they are like you constantly do here?

100 fines and 200 ordered to turn back in a wicklow location yesterday.

Yeah stopping people going somewhere they are EXTREMELY unlikely to catch/spread anything. Meanwhile in hospitals and nursing homes.........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Yeah stopping people going somewhere they are EXTREMELY unlikely to catch/spread anything. Meanwhile in hospitals and nursing homes.........

They trying to stop large crowds in certain areas and keep the virus to local communities.

Alot of the problem with nursing homes is the general public increasing the virus in the community.

Its currently in my folks nursing home, started with a close contact. 10 residents have it and 6 staff. Testing twice a week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I wish someone would reign him in - he is the one fueling this idea that you’ve done something wrong if you catch Covid. My local politician has been tweeting that people have come to him to tell him that certain people are breaking the restrictions. He mentions ‘driving to the beach for exercise’ and other such shocking misdemeanours like ‘shopping for non essentials’ People know who has it locally, and are speculating about what they did, and why they caught it.

What a despicable little society we’ve turned into, and what’s terrifying is how easily it happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Multipass wrote: »
    I wish someone would reign him in - he is the one fueling this idea that you’ve done something wrong if you catch Covid. My local politician has been tweeting that people have come to him to tell him that certain people are breaking the restrictions. He mentions ‘driving to the beach for exercise’ and other such shocking misdemeanours like ‘shopping for non essentials’ People know who has it locally, and are speculating about what they did, and why they caught it.

What a despicable little society we’ve turned into, and what’s terrifying is how easily it happened.

They will be telling children to report their parents next.

They trying to stop large crowds in certain areas and keep the virus to local communities.

Alot of the problem with nursing homes is the general public increasing the virus in the community.

Its currently in my folks nursing home, started with a close contact. 10 residents have it and 6 staff. Testing twice a week
    No, a lot of the problem with nursing homes is the inability/unwillingness to do seemingly ANYTHING to try to protect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

showpony1 wrote: »
    I think the vast majority have pretty much been doing nothing for at least two weeks - yet they are saying 3231 cases. what could be the cause of this?

Tony is saying people aren't complying fully, if anything i think people are doing less than they were in the November Lockdown aka the takeaway pints era. I really don't know what he thinks people are getting up to.

Keeps stressing stay at home, nothing is open Tony...

He really has worn out that stay at home line at this stage. Seems to be the new mantra from “the next two weeks are critical “

What he should actually be saying is

“Stay at home but go to work”

Still thousands of non essential places open but no point Tony and co focusing on this.
    It’s easier to just blame the public

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

I know , I know , I can always not read these headlines but Chri$t above what is it with these professors, doctors, experts etc each day some new guy giving his opinion and predicting another year of doom and gloom. Not surprised people at their limit now.

I said it before, Tony has only himself to blame for this after his big comeback. That’s when most people realized he is an egotistical maniac and said “sorry, no more”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

I said it before, Tony has only himself to blame for this after his big comeback. That’s when most people realized he is an egotistical maniac and said “sorry, no more”

Most people in the country don't have a personal vendetta against holohan and have been following the guidelines since the start. The selfish morons are a minority, but enough to keep cases stubbornly high.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

froog wrote: »
    Most people in the country don't have a personal vendetta against holohan and have been following the guidelines since the start. The selfish morons are a minority, but enough to keep cases stubbornly high.

Most people in the country shouldn’t even know who Tony Holohan is let alone see his face on every media outlet daily.

His job is to advise the government not to admonish the people of this country everyday.

Should never have been seen on a television screen but due to our inept government he has pretty much taken over.

Shouldn’t even be still publicly employed from his previous track record.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Most people in the country shouldn’t even know who Tony Holohan is let alone see his face on every media outlet daily.

His job is to advise the government not to admonish the people of this country everyday.

Should never have been seen on a television screen but due to our inept government he has pretty much taken over.

He’s due an appearance on the late late

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

TV3 and the likes love those live broadcasts on the daily from the Dept of Health offices.

"And the latest COVID-19 figures are in...."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

I've kept to my local area and not gone into any shops outside the 5km but the travel limit is gone completely ridiculous. Fining people in the Wicklow mountains. I'd love to know how many cases have come from people getting out in the air at the Wicklow mountains.

I would love a spin to the mountains but I won't do it now. The longer this goes on though where Tony and co feel they must blame us for not complying the less ****ing interest I have in complying. Beyond a joke at this stage. Take some responsibility acknowledge govt mistakes also and try to work towards solving the whole thing... 99pc of people that will comply are complying target the indoor gatherings and non essential workers that are working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    I've kept to my local area and not gone into any shops outside the 5km but the travel limit is gone completely ridiculous. Fining people in the Wicklow mountains. I'd love to know how many cases have come from people getting out in the air at the Wicklow mountains.

I would love a spin to the mountains but I won't do it now. The longer this goes on though where Tony and co feel they must blame us for not complying the less ****ing interest I have in complying. Beyond a joke at this stage. Take some responsibility acknowledge govt mistakes also and try to work towards solving the whole thing... 99pc of people that will comply are complying target the indoor gatherings and non essential workers that are working.

No chance. All the Covidians love to blame the people, it's constantly all our fault no matter what we do. We could be welded into our homes like the Chinese yet we'd still somehow get the blame.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭bloopy

leanin2019 wrote: »
    TV3 and the likes love those live broadcasts on the daily from the Dept of Health offices.

"And the latest COVID-19 figures are in...."

Because it is easy tabloid journalism. No effort required but you can pretend that it is proper serious current affairs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

COVID is spread by 'the people'.

A fact that obviously confuses some of 'the people' who appear to have convinced themselves that Dr Tony Holohan appearing on TV is the cause of the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Ultimately, I think people ( the ones doing their best to keep to restrictions at present ) will 'decide' when things open up again.
    Looking at those 2 earlier clips of what looks like
    ' sensible ' people breaking out of restrictions finally having enough.

Like on those nature programs with tens of thousands of wildebeest standing at the river edge full of crocs, first few brave/stupid ones attempt to cross first, then the whole thing breaks loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Going for a spin on the bike, a walk or run with family on the beautiful Wicklow mountains not allowed. €100 fine for those heathens.

This is OK though. Work away lads.

https://twitter.com/marktigheST/status/1350767017192783872

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Thespoofer wrote: »
    Ultimately, I think people ( the ones doing their best to keep to restrictions at present ) will 'decide' when things open up again.
    Looking at those 2 earlier clips of what looks like
    ' sensible ' people breaking out of restrictions finally having enough.

Like on those nature programs with tens of thousands of wildebeest standing at the river edge full of crocs, first few brave/stupid ones attempt to cross first, then the whole thing breaks loose.

it's a complete myth that the majority of irish people are against restrictions.

Dec: https://www.thejournal.ie/poll-level-5-restrictions-january-5313505-Dec2020/

Oct: https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1014/1171568-covid-restrictions-opinion-poll/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Lundstram wrote: »
    Going for a spin on the bike, a walk or run with family on the beautiful Wicklow mountains not allowed. €100 fine for those heathens.

This is OK though. Work away lads.

https://twitter.com/marktigheST/status/1350767017192783872

"Effective from Saturday 16th January - Negative test result required for all passengers arriving into Ireland"

https://www.aerlingus.com/support/covid19-information/entry-requirements-for-ireland/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

froog wrote: »

Polls can give whatever result you require.

polesheep wrote: »
    Polls can give whatever result you require.

And pretty sure not many if any 14-35 year olds watch RTE, let alone take part in their polls.

Quite funny seeing posters justifying themselves by posting polls from RTE and some other random news outlet. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

If what I'm seeing on a Sunday morning is anything to go by we are done with compliance with these restrictions, it feels much more like level 3 than level 5....throngs out and about, walking, enjoying a coffee, it was like the morning of a big rugby match in the city.

It's great to see I have to say...you can only push people so far, people have to place their own mental health ahead of the Health service, it is psychotic to expect otherwise.

Sure, there are many who are happy to stay at home, but I didn't see one situation you could even consider risky from a transmission point of view...every one well spaced, respectful of others...I'd be happy to advise my parents to get out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭bb1234567

And pretty sure not many if any 14-35 year olds watch RTE, let alone take part in their polls.

Quite funny seeing posters justifying themselves by posting polls from RTE and some other random news outlet. :pac:

What is a better measure of gauging public opinion? Polls in other European countries have shown similar support so I don't think there's anything off kilter about the way polling was undertaken here

bb1234567 wrote: »
    What is a better measure of gauging public opinion? Polls in other European countries have shown similar support so I don't think there's anything off kilter about the way polling was undertaken here

Do a poll on Tiktok or Snapchat where 14-35 year olds inhabit. You'll see a reverse.

It's a bit like Sam McConkey doing a Twitter poll, results will of course be heavily in favour of lockdown.

Niall Boylan.. results heavily against lockdown.

You see where I'm going with this? Not hard to understand really. Two extreme examples above but relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Penfailed

If what I'm seeing on a Sunday morning is anything to go by we are done with compliance with these restrictions, it feels much more like level 3 than level 5....throngs out and about, walking, enjoying a coffee, it was like the morning of a big rugby match in the city.

It's great to see I have to say...you can only push people so far, people have to place their own mental health ahead of the Health service, it is psychotic to expect otherwise.

Sure, there are many who are happy to stay at home, but I didn't see one situation you could even consider risky from a transmission point of view...every one well spaced, respectful of others...I'd be happy to advise my parents to get out and about.

People are allowed to be out and about at level five y'know. They can still be complying with the restrictions.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

Does the same person then get included in daily case numbers every time they test positive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Do a poll on Tiktok or Snapchat where 14-35 year olds inhabit. You'll see a reverse.

It's a bit like Sam McConkey doing a Twitter poll, results will of course be heavily in favour of lockdown.

Niall Boylan.. results heavily against lockdown.

You see where I'm going with this? Not hard to understand really. Two extreme examples above but relevant.

The ESRI were saying at the end of the summer that their polling actually showed that younger people had a greater support for the restrictions. Go figure.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement