Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

Lundstram wrote: »
    Do a poll on Tiktok or Snapchat where 14-35 year olds inhabit. You'll see a reverse.

It's a bit like Sam McConkey doing a Twitter poll, results will of course be heavily in favour of lockdown.

Niall Boylan.. results heavily against lockdown.

You see where I'm going with this? Not hard to understand really. Two extreme examples above but relevant.

Also, busy people don't really take part in polls. Pensioners have much more time to take a call and chat to a pollster for 10 minutes, so polls are skewed to this demographic.

A lot of “experts “ and politicians lately saying expect restrictions for 2021.

A lot of people I speak to saying they are just sick of it at this point.

Compliance will fall apart again if people have no hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,311 ✭✭✭pgj2015

people may be feed up of the restrictions but does anybody want to pay a 100 euro fine for breaking the 5km travel restriction? money isnt that plentiful for a lot of people these days. I think they should raise the 100 euro fine to maybe 400 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Penfailed

arctictree wrote: »
    Also, busy people don't really take part in polls. Pensioners have much more time to take a call and chat to a pollster for 10 minutes, so polls are skewed to this demographic.

Most polling companies get the opinions of a cross section of age/gender/demographics. They do so to avoid the skewed results that you seem to think are there.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The country has lost all common sense and descended into a police state.

The Gardai are towing vehicles out of the Wicklow mountains and impounding them while issuing fines to the occupants.

I reckon there will be films made about this

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ten-people-fined-for-breaching-5km-rule-near-wicklow-mountains-1.4460365%3fmode=amp
    Some tow trucks were removing two vehicles at a time; one on the back of the truck and another towed behind.

One Garda source familiar with the operation told The Irish Times that gardaí would have towed more vehicles away but the way cars had been parked blocked access.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Most people in the country shouldn’t even know who Tony Holohan is let alone see his face on every media outlet daily.

His job is to advise the government not to admonish the people of this country everyday.

Should never have been seen on a television screen but due to our inept government he has pretty much taken over.

I was just watching ITV there. The adverts came on and there was one from the NHS featuring the north's CMO, Michael McBride. I'd say, if I was watching in England, the same ad would've featured Chris Witty. I listen to quite a bit of BBC radio and also LBC. They regularly have the CMO (and sometimes the CSO) on the air. I don't understand why people get so worked up in this thread about the publicity afforded to our CMO. It's not just an Irish phenomenon.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

pgj2015 wrote: »
    people may be feed up of the restrictions but does anybody want to pay a 100 euro fine for breaking the 5km travel restriction? money isnt that plentiful for a lot of people these days. I think they should raise the 100 euro fine to maybe 400 euro.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭batman_oh

To achieve what? 6km isn't the cause of what's happening now

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Quite funny seeing posters justifying themselves by posting polls from RTE and some other random news outlet. :pac:

because the gut feelings of a bunch of anti-restriction posters would be a much more reliable indicator of the mood of the nation? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭arctictree

Penfailed wrote: »
    Most polling companies get the opinions of a cross section of age/gender/demographics. They do so to avoid the skewed results that you seem to think are there.

OK, I'll rephrase that, the results only show people that have the time to answer these calls.

• Advertisement

batman_oh wrote: »
    To achieve what? 6km isn't the cause of what's happening now

Do you not know why they have imposed travel restrictions? its not like they are saying dont wear red jumpers or you will be fined 100 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Yeah stopping people going somewhere they are EXTREMELY unlikely to catch/spread anything. Meanwhile in hospitals and nursing homes.........

Yes,most likely trying to get a bit of exercise. I always feel great after a bit of walking in the Wicklow mountains.

Correct. They're on a different orbit if they expect those turfed out of employment to remain passive vessels by April. The cracked hypocrisy of the power-brokers and influential voices all on substantial wages telling Paddy to take his soup. Open defiance will break out widely should valid concessions not be made after the most vulnerable and elderly are vaccinated. Twelve months of this enforced servitude more than enough, I want to get back to work and have a semblance of a fulfilled existence. Those untouchables at the top do not comprehend my struggle and those of the other half million ejected from the workforce, mark my words they'll receive a sharp reminder yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Agree, something needs to give once group 3 is done

arctictree wrote: »
    OK, I'll rephrase that, the results only show people that have the time to answer these calls.

Polling companies will keep calling numbers until they get a representative sample. Reputable ones at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

From talking with a number of (non-hospitality) business owners over the last few days, they're all planning on re-opening at the start of February regardless of what restrictions are in place. Some could arguably still be open now depending on how you interpret the guidelines. In another two weeks, they'll all be turning on the lights and opening the doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Do a poll on Tiktok or Snapchat where 14-35 year olds inhabit. You'll see a reverse.

It's a bit like Sam McConkey doing a Twitter poll, results will of course be heavily in favour of lockdown.

Niall Boylan.. results heavily against lockdown.

You see where I'm going with this? Not hard to understand really. Two extreme examples above but relevant.

Yeh good point but a lot of the government polls are random selection. My mum was asked to carry out an opinion poll about restrictoins back in Setptember or October I think it was but she was the only one in the family contacted for it

GazzaL wrote: »
    From talking with a number of (non-hospitality) business owners over the last few days, they're all planning on re-opening at the start of February regardless of what restrictions are in place. Some could arguably still be open now depending on how you interpret the guidelines. In another two weeks, they'll all be turning on the lights and opening the doors.

yeah, thats what the guy who owned the gym thought as well and the publican who was going to test everyone who came in. worked out well for them.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Graham wrote: »
    because the gut feelings of a bunch of anti-restriction posters would be a much more reliable indicator of the mood of the nation? :rolleyes:

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

yeah, thats what the guy who owned the gym thought as well and the publican who was going to test everyone who came in. worked out well for them.:rolleyes:

They'll be doing it quietly without any fanfare. The worst thing that can happen is that they'll be told to close the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

growleaves wrote: »
    Yes.

Amazing insight from both of you there, well done.

Amazing insight from both of you there, well done.

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Do you not know why they have imposed travel restrictions? its not like they are saying dont wear red jumpers or you will be fined 100 euro.

Some of it is not far off it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The country has lost all common sense and descended into a police state.

The Gardai are towing vehicles out of the Wicklow mountains and impounding them while issuing fines to the occupants.

I reckon there will be films made about this

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ten-people-fined-for-breaching-5km-rule-near-wicklow-mountains-1.4460365%3fmode=amp
    Some of the gardaí involved in this operation have been based in this region for years and they said they had never seen anything like the volume of people up there yesterday; that the numbers wouldn’t even allow for social distancing despite the vastness of the area.”

“You are talking about thousands of people going there, so compliance (with Covid-19 restrictions) wasn’t great. But the operation we have seems to have deterred more people today.

I imagine they only fined the mouthy simpletons who banged on about their fraydumbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Boggles wrote: »
    Jaysus Norman you told me you couldn't go for a meal during the summer because you were too busy and now here you are off to the sun next week.

Fair play to you, send us a postcard.

;)

Checking in from sunny Lanzarote. Had to show a negative PCR test at the gate on Saturday and again at Lanzarote Airport.

Otherwise I was nervous before travelling as Lanzarote had moved to Maximum level of restrictions* on Friday and I wasn't sure if the flight would go ahead as a result (due to a spike after Christmas like ourselves).
    But once arrived the local taxi driver and hotel were delighted to see we had got here.

*Maximum restrictions here means that all bars and restaurants can only serve outdoors and there is a 10pm curfew. Otherwise all shops including hairdressers are open as normal. The only pain is having to wear a mask on the street (but this was here even in low level alert).

Just back to the apartments after watching the match, had 5 pints and a feed for €15. Feels great to be acting as normal again. I don't mean this post to wind up people but honestly at one point today I had a lightbulb moment and realised this was the most normal I have felt in a year.

Now to WFH from tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Checking in from sunny Lanzarote. Had to show a negative PCR test at the gate on Saturday and again at Lanzarote Airport.

Otherwise I was nervous before travelling as Lanzarote had moved to Maximum level of restrictions* on Friday and I wasn't sure if the flight would go ahead as a result (due to a spike after Christmas like ourselves).
    But once arrived the local taxi driver and hotel were delighted to see we had got here.

*Maximum restrictions here means that all bars and restaurants can only serve outdoors and there is a 10pm curfew. Otherwise all shops including hairdressers are open as normal. The only pain is having to wear a mask on the street (but this was here even in low level alert).

Just back to the apartments after watching the match, had 5 pints and a feed for €15. Feels great to be acting as normal again. I don't mean this post to wind up people but honestly at one point today I had a lightbulb moment and realised this was the most normal I have felt in a year.

Now to WFH from tomorrow...

Stay at home

• Registered Users Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Stay at home

Will do Dr Bre, thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Lol

And again! You’re on a roll!!

And again! You’re on a roll!!

Let me take a stab at explaining my thoughts so.

Basically what it comes down to for me is that intuition and personal observation are some of the most reliable methods of perception which a person can rely on.

What internet data nerds sneer at as "anecdata" used to be called experience.

From experience we know things and can learn things.

The idea that statistical abstractions are reality itself has crept in in recent years and should be rejected. Abstract thought is only a (partially true) representation of reality at best.

Media is, as the name suggests, a mediation of reality. In other words instead of perceiving things for yourself directly you allow a mediator (a middleman) to tell you what you are to perceive.

The total relegation of direct perception and intuition in favour of 'official' communications is now supposed to be so obvious that anything else is laughable. In fact we are marinaded in spin, half-truths, medico-scientific jargon, and unproven assumptions.

In the last gasp the government itself will admit they lied (e.g. about masks) for 'good reason' - or sometimes even joe soap government supporters will discuss the best PR techniques 'to get people to go along' (as on the main thread).

Newsflash: admitted liars are not a trustworthy source of information

• Advertisement

Let me take a stab at explaining my thoughts so.

Basically what it comes down to for me is that intuition and personal observation are some of the most reliable methods of perception which a person can rely on.

What internet data nerds sneer at as "anecdata" used to be called experience.

From experience we know things and can learn things.

The idea that statistical abstractions are reality itself has crept in in recent years and should be rejected. Abstract thought is only a (partially true) representation of reality at best.

Media is, as the name suggests, a mediation of reality. In other words instead of perceiving things for yourself directly you allow a mediator (a middleman) to tell you what you are to perceive.

The total relegation of direct perception and intuition in favour of 'official' communications is now supposed to be so obvious that anything else is laughable. In fact we are marinaded in spin, half-truths, medico-scientific jargon, and unproven assumptions.

In the last gasp the government itself will admit they lied (e.g. about masks) for 'good reason' - or sometimes even joe soap government supporters will discuss the best PR techniques 'to get people to go along' (as on the main thread).

Newsflash: admitted liars are not a trustworthy source of information

Perception is a slave to cognitive biases.

A repeating cycle of observe - interpret - test - refine is long established as producing the most accurate models of how the works works, in any field

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement