Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

46 Long wrote: »
    He took a bit of initiative, prioritized the well-being of his family and prevented vaccines from going to waste.

The less waste the better but I can understand how the optics of the alleged scenario wouldn't look good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Excess vaccines should not be discarded. AFAIK the Pfizer cannot last once defrosted.

The Coombe fella was dead right, only thing is, it was not tested on under 16/18 yr olds but maybe they are older. Still in a low risk category.

The chances of this happening were always there. To those in the know I suppose.

Israel is giving excess vaccine to anyone on a first come first served basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭Tork

fin12 wrote: »
    But why do other vaccines prevent u from getting a virus, take the hpv one that prevents u from getting the virus?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/different-vaccines/how-they-work.html
    COVID-19 vaccines help our bodies develop immunity to the virus that causes COVID-19 without us having to get the illness. Different types of vaccines work in different ways to offer protection, but with all types of vaccines, the body is left with a supply of “memory” T-lymphocytes as well as B-lymphocytes that will remember how to fight that virus in the future.

It typically takes a few weeks for the body to produce T-lymphocytes and B-lymphocytes after vaccination. Therefore, it is possible that a person could be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19 just before or just after vaccination and then get sick because the vaccine did not have enough time to provide protection.

But why do other vaccines prevent u from getting a virus, take the hpv one that prevents u from getting the virus?

Same applies. Body is taught how to fight it off rather than shield from it.

Probably a discussion better suited to the biology forum.

Think of a vaccine as self-defence lessons for your blood. It's not going to stop you getting attacked, it's going to help you fight off an attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭hamburgham

dalyboy wrote: »
    Ahh , your both wrong. It’s “red rag to a bull”

Not quite there yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Excess vaccines should not be discarded. AFAIK the Pfizer cannot last once defrosted.

The Coombe fella was dead right, only thing is, it was not tested on under 16/18 yr olds but maybe they are older. Still in a low risk category.

The chances of this happening were always there. To those in the know I suppose.

It lasts 5 days in a standard fridge once defrosted. So between 2 to 8 degrees Celsius. With planning, they can be stored again. But moving off premise can be tricky from what I know.

I don't know what happened here. But it reads like it's coordinated. Vaccinations are on a particular day and it was sorted to come in to get one. If it was a case of having to call up people to come in because they were going to waste. They could have been stored in a fridge and given to works in the hospital in other areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Crumlin hospital is just around the corner, numerous nursing homes near by. Why was it not brought there or a call to say send over eligible people for it?

What gives him the right to decide his family should get it? The arrogance of him. He should be sacked for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Lundstram wrote: »
    Crumlin hospital is just around the corner, numerous nursing homes near by. Why was it not brought there or a call to say send over eligible people for it?

What gives him the right to decide his family should get it? The arrogance of him. He should be sacked for this.

Because it would probably have loads of paperwork to go through and by the time done, the vaccines. Would have been dumped. He properly knows better how the organization. Is run and made the choice that it was going to be wasted

Can't imagine it's a great idea to have open vials of vaccine trotting around the streets nor encouraging occupants of nursing homes or other hospitals to pop-in for a jab.

Unfortunately, reactions like yours will be the reason we end up binning more doses than we need, not less. At least in the short term.

You'd rather a few doses ended up in the bin to save your outrage?

I'd rather we use as many doses as possible, that's ultimately better for all of us.

Graham wrote: »
    Can't imagine it's a great idea to have open vials of vaccine trotting around the streets nor encouraging occupants of nursing homes or other hospitals to pop-in for a jab.

Unfortunately, reactions like yours will be the reason we end up binning more doses than we need, not less. At least in the short term.

You'd rather a few doses ended up in the bin to save your outrage?

It's not OK to have open vials "trotting around the streets" but it's a good idea to bring them home and stick them into kids?

Contradicting yourself now.

• Advertisement

Because it would probably have loads of paperwork to go through and by the time done, the vaccines. Would have been dumped. He properly knows better how the organization. Is run and made the choice that it was going to be wasted
    Ah yeah all the paperwork..? Fcuk that. Stick them into the kids at home sure. Be grand.

Ah yeah all the paperwork..? Fcuk that. Stick them into the kids at home sure. Be grand.

Have u heard kids shouldn’t get the vaccine or something?

Or see it wasted, I'd have no problem with it.

I honestly couldn't give a hoot who gets the leftovers as long as somebody does.

Waiting lists for locals is something that could/should be looked at, in the mean time just don't see a shot wasted.

One stipulation to that, no money/donations for shots.

Have u heard kids shouldn’t get the vaccine or something?

It don't think it has been tested on children yet (iirc). At the same time my opinion isn't based on the rumour posted previously. I'm more talking in general terms.

Don't waste a shot.

If we get 15% more shots from the vaccines we receive, that potentially knocks 15% off the length of our restrictions (approximately obviously).

Typical Graham. Totally ignore my question.

Do you think it's OK he brought them home for his kids when it was just as easy for him to transfer them to a nearby hospital or nursing home? I don't see a difference in logistics there unless his kids lives very close to the hospital.

Whatever about the ethics, the optics here are just awful.

No shame whatsoever. Can see heads rolling tomorrow and rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,859 ✭✭✭hynesie08

He gave it to his kids!! Tar and feather him, and then....... Reads article
    Two of the recipients are understood to be Dr O’Connell’s children, one of whom is college-going age, and is a paid part-time worker in his private medical practice. The other works intermittently in the hospital as an unpaid worker.

Oh, two extra healthcare/hospital workers got vaccinated..... That's fantastic.

Do you think it's OK he brought them home for his kids when it was just as easy for him to transfer them to a nearby hospital or nursing home?.

Flawed assumption; it's easy to transfer to a nearby hospital.

See my previous answers that state quite categorically:

I don't care who gets the extra shots as long as somebody gets them

hynesie08 wrote: »
    He gave it to his kids!! Tar and feather him, and then....... Reads article

Oh, two extra healthcare/hospital workers got vaccinated..... That's fantastic.

Neither of them work for the HSE. They should not be getting the vaccine. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,871 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If the vaccines are going to go to waste otherwise then may as well use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Do you think it's OK he brought them home for his kids when it was just as easy for him to transfer them to a nearby hospital or nursing home? I don't see a difference in logistics there unless his kids lives very close to the hospital.

No heads will be rolling so you can ease down on the ranting there. A non story.

• Advertisement

Flawed assumption; it's easy to transfer to a nearby hospital.

See my previous answers that state quite categorically:

I don't care who gets the extra shots as long as somebody gets them
    So you agree you don't care that two guys on the bottom of the list got them over vulnerable person. Strange view to hold.

Keep your bolded words. You don't moderate this forum.

If the vaccines are going to go to waste otherwise then may as well use them.

That sounds like a remarkably intelligent use of a limited resource with a very limited shelf life.

I'd prefer to see a local register of close-by people, until then, just use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,859 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Neither of them work for the HSE. They should not be getting the vaccine. End of.

Well, they did, so now two more people are vaccinated and no doses were wasted, double win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭dalyboy

hamburgham wrote: »
    Not quite there yourself.

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/a+red+rag+to+a+bull

I’ll await to be corrected. Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 23,871 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

That sounds like a remarkably intelligent use of a limited resource with a very limited shelf life.

I'd prefer to see a local register of close-by people, until then, just use it.

Sure if they had to be dumped the same people would be shouting it's incompetence or a bureaucratic scandal.

Can't win.

So you agree you don't care that two guys on the bottom of the list got them over vulnerable person. Strange view to hold.

In this story there were no vulnerable people who missed out because these shots weren't binned.

I honestly wouldn't have cared if he hopped onto a passing bus and started vaccinating the passengers.

I certainly wouldn't want to see it wasted due to some misguided sense of outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭hamburgham

dalyboy wrote: »

Won’t take long. I’d look at the first part of your comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

In this story there were no vulnerable people who missed out because these shots weren't binned.

I honestly wouldn't have cared if he hopped onto a passing bus and started vaccinating the passengers.

I certainly wouldn't want to see it wasted due to some misguided sense of outrage.

Agree 100 percent.

I'd be much more concerned about the amount not being used that where the leftover shots went.

I'd go as far as suggesting it should be considered an ethics breach for any medical professional to allow a vaccine shot to be wasted when there were willing recipients available.

• Advertisement

Looks like they aren’t children but teenagers/ young adults.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement