Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

fin12 wrote: »
    Looks like they aren’t children but teenagers/ young adults.

Children sounds much more outrageous than adult children working in the medical profession though.

Much better for rabble rousing.

Again though. I'm more talking in general as I've no idea of the specifics of the earlier allegation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Tork

I think we're all agreed that the optics aren't good. In the grand scale of things though, it's not going to make an awful lot of difference. Perhaps the bad publicity from this will make them get their act together and work out a better system for giving out those leftover jabs. I think we'd all be far more pissed off if they'd just binned them. The administering of these vaccines has a long way to go yet and I can see plenty more controversies as they go along. After nearly a year of being cooped up, we're all impatient and want our old lives back. There are going to be all sorts of people in all sorts of jobs jostling for position and it isn't going to be pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

You'd wonder about people paying to jump the queue

Tork wrote: »
    After nearly a year of being cooped up, we're all impatient and want our old lives back.

Exactly.

I was just reading that the AstraZeneca vaccine could see us increase vaccinations to 100,000 per week.

Lets say that 40 weeks to vaccinate everyone that's going to be vaccinated.

Preventing waste to increase vaccinations by 15% could knock 6 weeks off that.

Who wouldn't want that?

You'd wonder about people paying to jump the queue

That should be a straight criminal offence for both sides of the transaction with a mandatory sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

hamburgham wrote: »
    Won’t take long. I’d look at the first part of your comment.

I’m intrigued now.
    I’ve checked the first part. Looks good. Grammar and comma etc.
    Where was I wrong ?
    If I was not wrong then have you made a false claim ?. Concede ? Hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

No one wants to see vaccines wasted but it's hard to believe that there wasn't more suitable candidates on site already when you think about cleaners, janitors, security etc. How many of them are working full time in the hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

dalyboy wrote: »
    I’m intrigued now.
    I’ve checked the first part. Looks good. Grammar and comma etc.
    Where was I wrong ?
    If I was not wrong then have you made a false claim ?. Concede ? Hehe
    dalyboy wrote: »
    Ahh , your both wrong. It’s “red rag to a bull”

Has the light dawned on you yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

If the vaccines are going to go to waste otherwise then may as well use them.

Begs another question - how is the rollout so inept that it is even possible to have vaccines about to ‘go to waste’. The whole country is locked up waiting for them. They were stored in a hospital, the workers in which are not all vaccinated. That level of mismanagement itself should have consequences. His kids were not healthcare workers, one volunteers, one works for him. It’s utterly disgraceful, he should lose his job.

Restrictions are just as tight as they were, people are just ignoring them.

Yeah, no they aren't. Either in the reality of the restrictions or the enforcement.

• Advertisement

Mitigation measure like social distancing ad mask wearing are perhaps the most effective

Stay at home orders and business closures are counter productive

Meanwhile on planet earth.

539863.JPG

With distancing measures not removed at all, and mask wearing in since August

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/deaths-spur-norway-concern-at-covid-vaccine-safety-for-vulnerable-elderly-1.4460430%3fmode=amp
    The Norwegian Institute of Public Health judges that “for those with the most severe frailty, even relatively mild vaccine side-effects can have serious consequences. For those who have a very short remaining life span anyway, the benefit of the vaccine may be marginal or irrelevant

Which is the very group that Covid had been lethal too.

Get labelled a granny killer for highlighting that point though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Multipass wrote: »
    Begs another question - how is the rollout so inept that it is even possible to have vaccines about to ‘go to waste’. The whole country is locked up waiting for them. They were stored in a hospital, the workers in which are not all vaccinated. That level of mismanagement itself should have consequences. His kids were not healthcare workers, one volunteers, one works for him. It’s utterly disgraceful, he should lose his job.

I'd also like to know how these 2 are now going to be tracked for their second dose. What system were their names entered in to ensure they get full vaccine coverage.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Allinall

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/deaths-spur-norway-concern-at-covid-vaccine-safety-for-vulnerable-elderly-1.4460430%3fmode=amp

Which is the very group that Covid had been lethal too.

Get labelled a granny killer for highlighting that point though

How on earth do you know this?

How long did all the different individuals that died with Covid here have to live?

How short was each of their remaining life spans?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

120,000 Irish people came home at Xmas, is this the U.K. travel you refer to?

I hadn't seen the 120,000 figure before but that explains the explosion in cases we had in a very short period of time.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

JRant wrote: »
    I hadn't seen the 120,000 figure before but that explains the explosion in cases we had in a very short period of time.

No it doesn’t. It was granny murderers having “pints”. Haven’t you heard? Come on man!

Multipass wrote: »

Details only coming out now.

A few key quote from the piece in the Indo this morning (emphasis mine):
    According to the hospital, the decision was taken so that no vaccine would go to waste
    In a statement last night, it said that, at the time the vaccinations were given, “the HSE booking system and portal was not live
    “It is important to note that the HSE booking system and portal is now live,”
    “As a direct result of this operational efficiency, over 120 additional vaccines, over and above what had been anticipated, were made available,” it said.

According to the hospital, the team there contacted the HSE to inform them of the additional available doses and “actively sought out frontline workers” to vaccinate.
    Had they not been used they would have been discarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40208567.html

Newspaper reports are saying that hundreds of people have been fined €100 for breaking restrictions. In fact, it says over 100 people were fined in 1 day in Wicklow alone. So realistically, there are thousands of people who have been fined for breaking restrictions throughout the country.

Given that only a small percentage of people who break restrictions will be caught, and an even smaller percentage fined, it's safe to say that there are tens if not hundreds of thousands of people who are breaking restrictions.

People don't give a **** anymore about incessant lockdowns and negativity from NPHET.

GazzaL wrote: »
    In fact, it says over 100 people were fined in 1 day in Wicklow alone. So realistically, there are thousands of people who have been fined for breaking restrictions throughout the country.

About time.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

So realistically, there are thousands of people who have been fined for breaking restrictions throughout the country.

It helps remarkably if you actually read the article you are linking to.
    37 people were issued with tickets up to Thursday, including several for alleged offences last weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

You must not have noticed that our hospitals are almost unable to cope. Until vaccines greatly lower hospitalizations lockdowns are obviously effective and needed. I hate being restricted too and hope that the above happens ASAP, but restrictions clearly do work to reduce infections and have to be in place until the hospitals are not under threat :)

Where do you take your knowledge from?

Because we had three lockdown now. And every single time the spread and the numbers had started to come down before the actual lockdown was announced and kicked in.

Thats three times now that our health experts couldnt hold their piss.

They may be forgiven the first time.
    The second time it was the Tony bully sh1t show.
    And the third time was no different only we quite possibly wouldn't ever have been in that situation had they not done such a stupid thing around lockdown two.

Thats wouldn't be so bad if this was only about their usual mess-ups. But this time they have the keys to the country and thats not working out too well. Its not too much to expect for them to be able to read numbers and statistics and at least try to make informed decisions and apply a bit f method to the madness.

They are panickers and fumblers and I cant blame some people starting to think there is more to it than just incompetence.

Where do you take your knowledge from?

Because we had three lockdown now. And every single time the spread and the numbers had started to come down before the actual lockdown was announced and kicked in.

Would be great to see a source for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Graham wrote: »
    Would be great to see a source for that.

You are here a lot I think. And you never looked at the time line of restrictions and case curves? There is no mysterious source for it. You just lay the official HSE data of cases over a calendar and put in some markers of when we did what *.

Not only did the drop start before the lockdown. Also the drop didnt waver one bit in trajectory after the lockdown. I know some think this is a just a covid-belittler spiel. But its actually true. The numbers do not support lockdown as an effective measure.

* I might even do that for you later. For now I have to start my working day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

So, what I'd like to know is why the numbers have sky rocketed so badly, do NPHET have any underlying data on this? Obviously, we had XMAS. Did people just say fúck it and do whatever and go wherever they wanted?

I don't know anyone who carried on this way (close family, friends etc.) but that's my anecdotal view/perception.

And what is going on with vaccination? Perhaps I'm wrong but I though the vaccination program would have been much more aggressive in terms of rollout.

https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/rollout-covid-19-vaccines-ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Newspaper reports are saying that hundreds of people have been fined €100 for breaking restrictions. In fact, it says over 100 people were fined in 1 day in Wicklow alone. So realistically, there are thousands of people who have been fined for breaking restrictions throughout the country.

Given that only a small percentage of people who break restrictions will be caught, and an even smaller percentage fined, it's safe to say that there are tens if not hundreds of thousands of people who are breaking restrictions.

People don't give a **** anymore about incessant lockdowns and negativity from NPHET.

Would suggest that plenty of people arent having money issues if the can afford to get fined. Maybe lower the PUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Boggles wrote: »
    It helps remarkably if you actually read the article you are linking to.

It helps remarkably if you also read the article.

"37 people were issued with tickets up to Thursday, including several for alleged offences last weekend. But yesterday, well over a hundred more people were ticketed just in Co Wicklow alone."

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Keyzer wrote: »
    It helps remarkably if you also read the article.

"37 people were issued with tickets up to Thursday, including several for alleged offences last weekend. But yesterday, well over a hundred more people were ticketed just in Co Wicklow alone."

Jesus, read the OPs claim.

:rolleyes:
    So realistically, there are thousands of people who have been fined for breaking restrictions throughout the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

NPHET are now talking about Level 5 lockdown 'til May potentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Guy from the Beacon on Pat Kenny defending the hospitals decision not to sign up to HSE agreement to provide capacity for Covid.

He said they signed up to the agreement for April, May and June last year to the agreement and were operating at only 30% capacity.

He’s making the point they are carrying out other healthcare procedures

Pat Kenny reckons other illnesses should be ignored until Summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Some clown-ology that is. People should be encouraged to go hiking, mountain climbing etc. But no, hunt them back into their corrals. St Annes Park near me and Dollymount are like walking out of Croke Park after a match some days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement