Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭dalyboy

growleaves wrote: »
    NPHET are now talking about Level 5 lockdown 'til May potentially.

Thank god for remote working then.

Other European countries will likely be out of lockdowns by mid March.
    Dublin airport will be busy with Irish passengers escaping these restrictions by then.

Can’t blame them either.
    12 months of lives been placed on hold is a little too much to bear for most sane people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I’d believe it! I can already see the #savepaddysday messaging by mid Feb, but we know full well nothing will be eased for Paddy’s day! The country would go mad! Then it’ll be #saveeaster which is April, but again, it’s a celebratory time of year so no chance things are eased then either, family gatherings and all that jazz....

So May I can actually see! After the May bank holiday with a #savesummer message! Now, do any in government have the stones to say “hang on a second”?? I’ve not seen it so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭Tork

If people continue to flout the regulations, what do they expect? We all know by now that when numbers go up, the government ups the restrictions and we all suffer. There is a price to be paid for the people who are supposedly living their lives as normal and giving Tony Houlihan the fingers. Covid doesn't teleport itself - it is spread by people.

They’re absolute f*cking clowns. How can they possibly say people are not doing enough? Everything in the country is closed.

Next they’ll be trying to prevent people who have to go to work or who need to look after elderly family.

Some people are not able to obey the restrictions anymore because they are on the brink of poverty and need to whatever it takes to survive.

Something DR Mary Favier will never have to be worried about.

Boils my blood!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Keyzer wrote: »
    So, what I'd like to know is why the numbers have sky rocketed so badly, do NPHET have any underlying data on this? Obviously, we had XMAS. Did people just say fúck it and do whatever and go wherever they wanted?

I don't know anyone who carried on this way (close family, friends etc.) but that's my anecdotal view/perception.

And what is going on with vaccination? Perhaps I'm wrong but I though the vaccination program would have been much more aggressive in terms of rollout.

https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/rollout-covid-19-vaccines-ireland.html

I don't think these spikes are related to Christmas, I think it's purely seasonal ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭growleaves

Tork wrote: »
    If people continue to flout the regulations, what do they expect? We all know by now that when numbers go up, the government ups the restrictions and we all suffer. There is a price to be paid for the people who are supposedly living their lives as normal and giving Tony Houlihan the fingers. Covid doesn't teleport itself - it is spread by people.

Mid-January just is the peak for respiratory illnesses every year. (Deaths too.)

According to Covidian theology all peaks and troughs are results of 'good' and 'bad' behaviour. This pseudo-moralisation would be funny to me if I wasn't trapped in my room like The Prisoner of Zenda.

As someone said above, we can just flee the country if other Europeans have their foot out of the bear-trap by Feb/April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,482 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

robbiezero wrote: »
    Some clown-ology that is. People should be encouraged to go hiking, mountain climbing etc. But no, hunt them back into their corrals. St Annes Park near me and Dollymount are like walking out of Croke Park after a match some days.

Nope. Anything non essential and risky should not be encouraged for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I’d believe it! I can already see the #savepaddysday messaging by mid Feb, but we know full well nothing will be eased for Paddy’s day! The country would go mad! Then it’ll be #saveeaster which is April, but again, it’s a celebratory time of year so no chance things are eased then either, family gatherings and all that jazz....

So May I can actually see! After the May bank holiday with a #savesummer message! Now, do any in government have the stones to say “hang on a second”?? I’ve not seen it so far

Wouldn’t shock me if they did “save June bank holiday” too. Already media rumblings last few days about minimum summer ‘21 foreign tourism.

Question is how are they going to sell these restrictions if the vulnerable are inoculated by April. They’ll need loads more young “long covid” reports and under 45 yrs old deaths to stir reality.

There is a price to be paid and we haven’t even started paying it yet.

I’d say people will be outraged when they see the bill though.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Could you replace the first letter in your username with D please. I think it is pretty apt.

BTW we have had some of the longest most restrictive measures in the world. It is not natural to be living in these conditions covid or no covid. Lockdowns have been a failure. Young people need to seize ownership of their futures now and say enough is enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

While I agree with the sentiment of what your trying to say, at the end of the day the governments job is first and foremost to represent the people! If people are flouting restrictions en masse* then that itself is a message to the government saying clearly “we don’t want this”. Their job is to listen to us, appropriate balance has to be found of course, but the fundamentals are this is what we want.... do it!

*I don’t know if it’s a large majority breaking restrictions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Boggles wrote: »
    Nope. Anything non essential and risky should not be encouraged for obvious reasons.

Where is the risk in hiking the Wicklow mountains vs walking around a crowded park?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

As far as I’m concerned once all the over 70s are vaccinated it’s game over.

dalyboy wrote: »
    Wouldn’t shock me if they did “save June bank holiday” too. Already media rumblings last few days about minimum summer ‘21 foreign tourism.

Question is how are they going to sell these restrictions if the vulnerable are inoculated by April. They’ll need loads more young “long covid” reports and under 45 yrs old deaths to stir reality.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1350037510211166208

The information in this release from NPHET is from 1st of October 20. There have been approx 100,000 cases since that time and not one person under age of 45 has died. It is there in black and white.

As some have told us, reality inst about facts, its about individual perception, so if the poster believes hundred have been issued fines who are we to claim otherwise

My moniker isn't 'some', its growleaves.

Facts must be interpreted by human beings and that requires discernment and (recognising your) underlying assumptions on the part of the interpreter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,482 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

robbiezero wrote: »
    Where is the risk in hiking the Wicklow mountains vs walking around a crowded park?

What is the risk in mountain climbing?

:pac:

My moniker isn't 'some', its growleaves.

Facts must be interpreted by human beings and that requires discernment and (recognising your) underlying assumptions on the part of the interpreter.

And the denizens of the restrictions thread have far more self awareness on their inherent biases than a world of scientists who have a long established method for weeding out bias

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,049 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Since the start its been this paradox. They celebrate the actions that cause the lockdowns they hate.

Multipass wrote: »
    As far as I’m concerned once all the over 70s are vaccinated it’s game over.

Should be but it won’t be.

I have always believed that eventually the rest of Europe will embarrass us into having to leave lockdown.

Either that or finances collapsing. Or people just completely giving up.

While I agree with the sentiment of what your trying to say, at the end of the day the governments job is first and foremost to represent the people! If people are flouting restrictions en masse* then that itself is a message to the government saying clearly “we don’t want this”. Their job is to listen to us, appropriate balance has to be found of course, but the fundamentals are this is what we want.... do it!

*I don’t know if it’s a large majority breaking restrictions

The thing is, the majority may be breaking restrictions but NPHET appear to be reverse-engineering their conclusion simply from the fact that numbers are increasing.

There appears to be no accounting for seasonality even partially. Its just numbers are increasing therefore people must be breaking restrictions.

• Advertisement

People have a perception it is busy but in reality its not all that busy. There are only a handful of things to do. Grocery shopping is nearly seen as a day out now. Takeaway coffee shops have never been busier, Parks, Blue/Greenways, beauty spots.

I brought the little one to visit the ducks yesterday. An activity where in the halycon days we would hardly see a sinner for duration. But it was mobbed yesterday. I could understand why. At the end of the day not everyone wants to be inside watching re runs of friends on comedy central. There are people out there who actually want to do something fulfilling with their lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Jesus, read the OPs claim.

:rolleyes:

That's only one county. Over Sat and Sun in Wicklow alone it was 170.

Even if we say the average number of people per county fined was 40, we have 26 counties. That's over a 1000 people.

Its not an extraordinarily ridiculous claim from the OP.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/gardai-fine-hundreds-breaching-covid-19-restrictions-across-ireland-over-weekend-1066128.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

The only clownolgy I've seen was that buffoon from Vitners federation (the very same chap caught out live on radio, serving "regulars" around the time crowds gathered on South William Street) offering his premises as a vaccination centre, just beyond bizzare, anything to look relevant. Do you want a packet of peanuts with that Jab, FFS.

Just amazes me that still after some shocking numbers of deaths and cases over the past 3 weeks, people still NOT getting it, 3 weeks of utter greed and stupidity has led to this,ALL the medical experts agree, gosh even Leaky Leo eating humble pie. Listen to the MEDICAL experts, it's NOT rocket science.

Far to much is being made out of the vaccine roll out, its wonderful but will have little impact for months and still absolutely no evidence it lessons chance of transmission.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

They’re absolute f*cking clowns. How can they possibly say people are not doing enough? Everything in the country is closed.

Next they’ll be trying to prevent people who have to go to work or who need to look after elderly family.

Some people are not able to obey the restrictions anymore because they are on the brink of poverty and need to whatever it takes to survive.

Something DR Mary Favier will never have to be worried about.

Boils my blood!!!

Well you would think if they are on the brink of poverty they wouldn't be getting themselves fined. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭tigger123

Is there any source for NPHET saying Level 5 until May? I haven't seen it anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Some people are happy to sit on their holes all day long doing absolutely nothing, apart from finger wagging. That’s their choice.

Others love the outdoors and hate being cooped up. I don’t blame these people in Wicklow at all. More power to them. Fresh air and exercise is great for the head and overall health. Walking, cycling or running along main roads is dangerous, particularly in the countryside.

I hope none of them pay the fines and take it all the way to court and win.

Have to say I’ve lost all respect for Gardaí. Overpaid government puppets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭Tork

pjohnson wrote: »
    Since the start its been this paradox. They celebrate the actions that cause the lockdowns they hate.
    Everyone hates these restrictions. Unfortunately, they're the only game in town and that isn't going to change no matter what anyone says. We're going to have to put up with this crap until numbers drop. I suppose venting on boards, all day, every day gives some people here a purpose. I get the irony of my posting here too but there are people here who seem to have nothing better to do with their lives.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Well you would think if they are on the brink of poverty they wouldn't be getting themselves fined. :pac:

It’s a risk they might have to take.

Ever gotten a fine before? Normally there has to be an appeal process.

I’m sure anyone that really doesn’t want to pay the fine won’t have to.

Lundstram wrote: »
    Some people are happy to sit on their holes all day long doing absolutely nothing, apart from finger wagging. That’s their choice.

Others love the outdoors and hate being cooped up. I don’t blame these people in Wicklow at all. More power to them. Fresh air and exercise is great for the head and overall health. Walking, cycling or running along main roads is dangerous, particularly in the countryside.

Have to say I'm not surprised given your attitude to following rules. Did you actually have much before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Lundstram wrote: »

Spot on.
    Some high-level clown just looked to get some fines imposed for the sake of optics and they picked off some low hanging fruit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement