Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭acequion

Penfailed wrote: »
    That's a hysterical viewpoint...but one you are entitled to.

Penfailed, I sincerely hope you're right and that that other poster is being a tad hysterical.

But it's hard not to worry about the future given the events of the recent past.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Jog on if you think that's how it is. Off to twitter where you can have a little safe space world view like a good man.
    Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Well hands down beats the arse licking sycophantic tripe you’ll find elsewhere. Because it’s real. Jog on if it offends your paper thin sensibilities

Mod:

Take a time out from the thread for 24 hours folks, this sort of posting is not acceptable.

There is very little real in this thread. Just the fevered imaginings of wannabe internet hardmen

Mod:

And you can take 24 hrs off as well raind, this post serves no purpose other than to bait others

Mod:

Rrrrr2's threadban lifted after discussion with poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

There is very little real in this thread. Just the fevered imaginings of wannabe internet hardmen

This thread echoes the very real thoughts and actions of absolutely everyone in my social circle, from my friends to family to work colleagues; I do not know one person who doesn’t think this lockdown is a load of rubbish and I don’t know anyone who hasn’t broken it in one form or another. There is a lot more frustration out there this time around. If you think the majority are actually living in adherence to these arbitrary rules and happy to tolerate this nonsense then it is you who is not living in the real world. Even the ones finger wagging and acting the martyr are living under pretence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

acequion wrote: »
    Penfailed, I sincerely hope you're right and that that other poster is being a tad hysterical.

But it's hard not to worry about the future given the events of the recent past.

You can tell the financial and political leanings of some of the posters here when they want the lockdowns to continue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    You can tell the financial and political leanings of some of the posters here when they want the lockdowns to continue.

Yeah you can tell who's top priority is the fact they're able to wear pyjamas at work while they're at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭acequion

This thread echoes the very real thoughts and actions of absolutely everyone in my social circle, from my friends to family to work colleagues; I do not know one person who doesn’t think this lockdown is a load of rubbish and I don’t know anyone who hasn’t broken it in one form or another. There is a lot more frustration out there this time around. If you think the majority are actually living in adherence to these arbitrary rules and happy to tolerate this nonsense then it is you who is not living in the real world. Even the ones finger wagging and acting the martyr are living under pretence

Agreed and mine too except for the "absolutely everyone bit." Unfortunately some in my social circle have bought into it. They have allowed themselves to be brainwashed by the propaganda and they have allowed themselves be frightened by all the scaremongering. And that is the problem. Fear really is contagious and pervasive and many people are happy to be led and have others do the thinking for them.

But fortunately I also know many who think just like the people on this thread and I think more are starting to emerge from the fog of fear as it becomes increasingly evident that this virus is nowhere near as dangerous as the so called "experts" would have us believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Fodla

We've the flu vaccine 75 years if this is as deadly as they say were a few years off normality. This notion it'll be rolled out soon and we'll be back to normal is crazy talk.
    I can see why people are delighted but they need a reality check.

Yes, and even if the restrictions are lifted it will take years to recover from the economic and psychological damage.

I sincerely hope Penfailed is right as well, but it's hard not to worry about the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

How is everyone else feeling? I dunno, this week has had me more and more dismayed tbh- have this helpless drifting feeling that even if we are “allowed” (fcuk me..) open up for a few weeks then it’s straight back into the punishment beating for January- this is just dreadful carry on and “leaders” of our countries think this is acceptable language.

I think a further lockdown in January is inevitable. I was listening to Radio Ulster and LBC today. Phone in shows and 'experts' were all, pretty much, saying the same thing - easing restrictions means increasing cases, which means increasing hospitalisations, which puts the health service under strain, which means increased restrictions.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Trumpism is even catching on in Ireland.

Amazing.

That’s been happening for weeks! Vaccine? They dont want to know and more especially don’t want you to know.

I don't watch or listen to RTE but the vaccine stuff was headline news on the local BBC channels in the north. I'd be very surprised if it wasn't on the RTE news.

EDIT - I've just checked here - https://www.rte.ie/news/ and vaccine news is fourth from the top. So much for not wanting you to know.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

What if, and it’s a big what if.... there is a free for all in December and cases do go up... but hospital admissions don’t rise drastically and we see come January that “hang on, we have a grip on this”!

Or is it too much to ask the HSE to have a grip on anything??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I think a further lockdown in January is inevitable. I was listening to Radio Ulster and LBC today. Phone in shows and 'experts' were all, pretty much, saying the same thing - easing restrictions means increasing cases, which means increasing hospitalisations, which puts the health service under strain, which means increased restrictions.

Similar to Winter season every year

The restrictions can’t end until the health service is completely reformed or else we sit down and have an adult discussion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

What if, and it’s a big what if.... there is a free for all in December and cases do go up... but hospital admissions don’t rise drastically and we see come January that “hang on, we have a grip on this”!

Or is it too much to ask the HSE to have a grip on anything??

This is what happened in September. Cases went up, hospital admission rose slowly and stayed manageable and death rates remained tiny. NPHET and a portion of the population became hysterical. Don't expect any different if cases (or any single metric) rises again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,030 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Yes, easing restrictions does mean more 'cases' ........ and probably some increase in hospitalisations.

Of course that should have been done during the Summer months and not during Winter. Corona viruses just love us during Winter!

So yes because of mismanagement I expect we will see a further lot of restrictions in the new year.

I can only hope they use a 'light touch', sufficient to prevent the health services from being overburdened, not like at present which is way more than required, as hospital numbers and ICU numbers make obvious.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

RobitTV wrote: »
    Luke O'Neill will be running on stage knowing he is about to further exploit the pandemic for money. Rolling in the cash.

Well after his advice on how to not spread covid at Christmas hie`ll be on the Toy show showing the kids how to play socially distant Twister.

Permanent lockdown? It's just not feasible. The good news regarding vaccines from three or four different sources and the drop off in the death toll all point towards an eventual return to normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Permanent lockdown? It's just not feasible. The good news regarding vaccines from three or four different sources and the drop off in the death toll all point towards an eventual return to normality.

When is the million dollar question. The Govt and NPHET are determined to continue this for as long as possible. Maybe when their paychecks start bouncing they'll lose their love for lockdowns at the first sign of someone sniffling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭patnor1011

pjohnson wrote: »
    Oooof so personal straight away. Sorry I spoke ill of your hero Gingey. Forgot how you were probably hardcore anti-vax. I mean YOU surely don't want a succesful vaccine to bring an end to restrictions. What would you complain about then ;)

Dont forget to back Ivors kickstarter.

Now you are peddling the conspiracy theory that vaccine will bring an end to restrictions. WHO and NPHET chiefs disagree with you.

Mr. Karate wrote: »

Who wants lockdowns to continue? Not I, that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Now you are peddling the conspiracy theory that vaccine will bring an end to restrictions. WHO and NPHET chiefs disagree with you.

I find it hilarious despite the news of the vaccines success etc that this shyte is still being peddled on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Who wants lockdowns to continue? Not I, that's for sure.

Tony Holohan for one- never heard him say anything else tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

If economy crashes and house prices fall, bank will reduce what they loan out. Rates will go higher also.

So unless you have cash, you might struggle to buy !!!!

We're both "essential workers" so no worries, banks will still need their business. Having cash in the bank could be a worry though [think bank "bail-ins"].

And you got your medical degree from where again ?

You do not have a medical degree either and it did not stop you from pretending to be an all things covid related expert.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I find it hilarious despite the news of the vaccines success etc that this shyte is still being peddled on here.

Then why the talk of vaccines complementing the current measures?

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Have you ANYTHING to contribute beyond dismissive attacks and sneering at others?

I do love all these "new" posters in the last few months.

He was already banned once from here as noxx. Some people talk when they have to say something, he talks because he has to say something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Fianna Fáil Parliamentary party not happy traditional pubs not allowed open. Read through tweets it’s not a thread

https://twitter.com/mcconnelldaniel/status/1331691961061945345?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Fodla wrote: »
    Then why the talk of vaccines complementing the current measures?

Tony isn’t an expert in vaccines for one. Secondly people who are involved with vaccines peddle a different story. Thirdly Tony is probably downplaying so people don’t drop their guard until the vaccines are rolled out.

Once i have the vaccine along with my family etc restrictions won’t mean a lot to me anymore and i’ll be travelling again without any doubts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement