Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Similar to Winter season every year

The restrictions can’t end until the health service is completely reformed or else we sit down and have an adult discussion

You have said this a few times in the threads. Can you elaborate on what you mean by it?

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Tony isn’t an expert in vaccines for one. Secondly people who are involved with vaccines peddle a different story. Thirdly Tony is probably downplaying so people don’t drop their guard until the vaccines are rolled out.

Once i have the vaccine along with my family etc restrictions won’t mean a lot to me anymore and i’ll be travelling again without any doubts.

Tony isn’t an expert in much really. Bar autocratic behaviour

john4321 wrote: »
    You have said this a few times in the threads. Can you elaborate on what you mean by it?

Lockdowns don’t tackle respiratory viruses.

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Fianna Fáil Parliamentary party not happy traditional pubs not allowed open. Read through tweets it’s not a thread

https://twitter.com/mcconnelldaniel/status/1331691961061945345?s=21

Well they’re the biggest govt party- are they going to govern or continue to Kao Tao to Tony and Nphet forever bending over to their every whim?

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Tony isn’t an expert in much really. Bar autocratic behaviour

Oh and I forgot arse covering. He’s a world leader in that

• Advertisement

He means we should accept the fact that 80+ year olds get sick and die.

We can destroy our lives trying to prevent them from getting Covid, but they are still going to die from age, their poor health, flu, insert other issues.

But people for some reason have decided we can’t accept the word Covid on a death cert. But anything else is fair game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Yes, easing restrictions does mean more 'cases' ........ and probably some increase in hospitalisations.

Of course that should have been done during the Summer months and not during Winter. Corona viruses just love us during Winter!

So yes because of mismanagement I expect we will see a further lot of restrictions in the new year.

I can only hope they use a 'light touch', sufficient to prevent the health services from being overburdened, not like at present which is way more than required, as hospital numbers and ICU numbers make obvious.

Agreed.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Fodla

Tony isn’t an expert in vaccines for one. Secondly people who are involved with vaccines peddle a different story. Thirdly Tony is probably downplaying so people don’t drop their guard until the vaccines are rolled out.

Once i have the vaccine along with my family etc restrictions won’t mean a lot to me anymore and i’ll be travelling again without any doubts.

Yes, but Anthony calls the shots. He decides whom we can see, how many people we can see etc. He is the de facto Taoiseach.

Fodla wrote: »
    Yes, but Anthony calls the shots. He decides whom we can see, how many people we can see etc. He is the de facto Taoiseach.

Shows what happens when you have a weak vanilla nothing like Martin as Taoiseach in strained times- the power vacuum is filled immediate by the likes of these dangerous Autocrats. Imagine a Charlie haughey putting up with this crap. And I can assure I was never his biggest fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

You think people will still listen to him once vaccinated? I certainly won’t be for a start.

• Advertisement

You think people will still listen to him once vaccinated? I certainly won’t be for a start.

People might not listen to him, but it won't count for much if he keeps the country locked down.

People might not listen to him, but it won't count for much if he keeps the country locked down.

Why would he try and do this? How would he personally benefit from this and what is the ultimate goal?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Why would he try and do this? How would he personally benefit from this and what is the ultimate goal?

He’s an anti alcohol nut. End of story.

Gervais08 wrote: »
    He’s an anti alcohol nut. End of story.

Why did off licenses stay open then?

I’ve never listened to him- but (very regrettably)the government do and are scared stiff of him for some reason- thus his hysterical whims have impeded my freedoms for the best part of a year now

Power and control. Do the past eight months suggest to you that he'll exit stage left quietly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,878 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The anxious wait for the restrictions is like waiting on exam results

What **** up are these twits going to announce

Because he couldn’t invent a Covid reason to close them-lord knows they toyed with the idea though. Restricting them has been kited many times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Keep case numbers as low as possible even if it leaves the country in ruins.

Tony Holohan for one- never heard him say anything else tbh

I don't think he posts on here. The OP was referring to posters.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Advertisement

If the vaccine works and cases / deaths tumble he won’t have any poker hand to play with.

Power and control. Do the past eight months suggest to you that he'll exit stage left quietly?

Power and control of what? What's the end goal?

I think we are heading for a mutiny. This is going to end in a showdown- given his antecedence and combative interfering style

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The anxious wait for the restrictions is like waiting on exam results

What **** up are these twits going to announce

Level 3 next Tuesday with food pubs and restaurants open a week later.

Then why the talk of vaccines complementing the current measures?

They will complement the measures until enough of the vaccine has been rolled out to enough people. This has already been explained in this thread. I would've thought it was obvious and didn't need an explanation...but there you go.

If the vaccine works and cases / deaths tumble he won’t have any poker hand to play with.

It’ll be some other ****e then. This thing is a cult

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Wasn’t able to get enough support in government! They knew they’d lose the dressing room immediately if they we closed so remained open. NPHET discussed it many times and I believe did suggest it to government also at one point! Mark my words, if Tony could do it he would!

I think TD’s being drinkers themselves has played a role in the idea not being anything more than NPHET bolloxoligy

Wasn’t able to get enough support in government! They knew they’d lose the dressing room immediately if they we closed so remained open. NPHET discussed it many times and I believe did suggest it to government also at one point! Mark my words, if Tony could do it he would!

I think TD’s being drinkers themselves has played a role in the idea not being anything more than NPHET bolloxoligy

I secretly hoped he might succeed- to show him up for the autocratic fanatic he is and cause deep public dissatisfaction against lockdown and indeed Nphet

I’ve never listened to him- but (very regrettably)the government do and are scared stiff of him for some reason- thus his hysterical whims have impeded my freedoms for the best part of a year now

The lockdown hasn’t really affected me at all for my day to day life. Due to my work i can travel anywhere past the 5km and can even use my work as an excuse if i wanted to.

The only main thing that affected me is that i can’t travel to see family. When i get the vaccine that will change and there will be 2 fingers to the 2 week quarantine.

• Advertisement

But who's going to stand up to him based on the evidence of the past 8 months? RTÉ? The Irish Times? The Irish Independent? The government?

Are people going to protest? Only a few hundred people have protested up to now. Are millions of people suddenly going to appear on the streets? I see nothing to suggest that's likely.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement