Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,376 ✭✭✭facehugger99

SAMTALK wrote: »
    But come on werent we all terrified back in March because we didnt know what was heading our way

If they didnt ramp up hospital capacity there would have been a different outcry. they were damned if they did and damned if they didnt

Speak for yourself.

Because no, we weren't all "terrified" in March.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

But come on werent we all terrified back in March because we didnt know what was heading our way

If they didnt ramp up hospital capacity there would have been a different outcry. they were damned if they did and damned if they didnt

If hospital capacity is such an issue, why was the Limerick University field hospital closed after spending two months treating non covid patients ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

If hospital capacity is such an issue, why was the Limerick University field hospital closed after spending two months treating non covid patients ?

Because they didnt need it ? The point I was making was they made preparations for something we didnt know much about, which was the right call at the time

Speak for yourself.

Because no, we weren't all "terrified" in March.

Ok maybe not terrified, but come on there was an element of wondering what this would bring

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

Majority of Covid-19 outbreaks in last week were in private houses

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/majority-of-covid-19-outbreaks-in-last-week-were-in-private-houses-1.4420153

Tony H is probably thinking up of more restrictions for households. I wouldnt be surprised if he throws out the idea of wearing mask in your own home... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ok maybe not terrified, but come on there was an element of wondering what this would bring

Here's a post of mine from the 02nd March

Good to see the national broadcaster exploiting the situation for clicks. The top 6 stories on the RTE website are Coronavirus related.

The hysterical overreaction is deeply indicative of the infantile state of a lot of the population.

Some of us could see what was coming

Well given that deaths with covid reported were all aged 80 + I am not sure how can we possibly be terrified, when co incidentally life expectancy is 82 years of age.

2020 is the year of idiots. You read some posts from boards from back in April, May, June you'd think people are immortal.

Remember RTE showing covid documentary, getting their camera into a face of a 97 year old man as he dies? Absolute shi*e nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Because they didnt need it ? The point I was making was they made preparations for something we didnt know much about, which was the right call at the time

Ireland is heading into month 10 of treating this as they did in March.

I can neither go to the gym or get a haircut, or sit indoors for my lunch

Oddly enough I could actually walk into a shop with no mask in March

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Fodla

Maybe the restrictions worked ? And to be fair we are not doing the exact same things now.

There is way more movement now than back in March / April. People are moving about and mixing more

Are they? The sole thing the people of Ireland can do is go to the shop. It's astonishing when you stand back and think about it. 4.5 million people can do nothing apart from going to the shop. The government has taken everything from us. And there is no evidence to suggest, and plenty to suggest the opposite, that we will ever be free people again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Man due in court over robbery of shop in Dublin city yesterday
    The theft occurred on Moore Street yesterday morning.

https://www.thejournal.ie/moore-street-robbery-dublin-5279306-Nov2020/

Only gonna get more desperate from here on. Lockdown effects, crime goes up, cancer deaths go up, unemployment goes up, but apparently we are saving lives. :rolleyes:

To be fair, there's no evidence that's at all CV-19 related. Just strikes me as a scumbag being a scumbag. Always been the way unfortunately.

The bigger thing from that story is the 24 hour turnaround on bringing him before a Court. Justice can be swift when it wants to be, but somehow I doubt the actual sentencing part will be as effective.

• Advertisement

Oh, I don't know, maybe spent the last 10 months and €10's of billions of euros ramping up hospital capacity and telling the easily identifiable vulnerable groups to take extra precautions.

I wouldn't have burnt the economy to the ground, destroyed thousands of viable businesses and put hundreds of thousands out of work over a virus that's harmless to the vast, vast majority.

I've said it before, but if Covid happened 20 years ago, the response would be entirely different. The reaction to it has been mainly driven by hysteria fueled by social-media. The politicians', being the cowardly vote-chasers they are, have pissed billions of our euros away placating the mob.

Absolutely. I have been saying for months now that this is a social media pandemic. No social media, or any media, and people wouldn't have noticed there was a pandemic going on.

Well given that deaths with covid reported were all aged 80 + I am not sure how can we possibly be terrified, when co incidentally life expectancy is 82 years of age.

2020 is the year of idiots. You read some posts from boards from back in April, May, June you'd think people are immortal.

Remember RTE showing covid documentary, getting their camera into a face of a 97 year old man as he dies? Absolute shi*e nonsense

So you werent worried about relatives / parents / vulnerable people

I dont disagree with you about some of the stuff on social media, but as I say hindsight is wonderful. Of course people were worried. That;s why our streets were empty and very few were out and about

Look I'm as tired and fed up as anyone and want things to go back to normal as soon as possible, but people saying government and NPHET are wrong and trying to close down pubs, get people to tow the line, it's all a hoax etc is wearing

Every country is doing what needs to be done for themselves and everyone of them are doing it based on their own country and not on what others are doing.

Ok I question a lot of things they are throwing out but come on do people seriously think they are not trying to do whats best for the country

I seriously think that. And the evidence is ignoring every single illness apart from COVID-19 for the past 9 months. As well as standing by and watching as businesses and livelihoods were destroyed because of government policy.

Here's a post of mine from the 02nd March

Some of us could see what was coming

Such a pity you couldn't have stepped into Tony's shoes and handled everything better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,823 ✭✭✭Allinall

Man due in court over robbery of shop in Dublin city yesterday
    The theft occurred on Moore Street yesterday morning.

https://www.thejournal.ie/moore-street-robbery-dublin-5279306-Nov2020/

Only gonna get more desperate from here on. Lockdown effects, crime goes up, cancer deaths go up, unemployment goes up, but apparently we are saving lives. :rolleyes:

Newsflash

The sun rose in the east yesterday, and will do so tomorrow.

This is despite lockdown effects, as evidenced by the same thing happening last year.

Where's the evidence that "crime goes up"?

https://www.thejournal.ie/crime-stats-garda-5217712-Sep2020/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

Such a pity you couldn't have stepped into Tony's shoes and handled everything better

Yeah repeating 'im deeply concerned' and ' the next two weeks are crucial' ad nauseum is no lean feat.

Ireland is heading into month 10 of treating this as they did in March.

I can neither go to the gym or get a haircut, or sit indoors for my lunch

Oddly enough I could actually walk into a shop with no mask in March

But it's not like it was in March. Have a look around

And again I will say this was new and yes back in March we didnt have to wear masks

Again I'll say I dont agree with a lot of what's happening but come on we cannot knock them for things done at the beginning because we knew very little about this virus

Yeah repeating 'im deeply concerned' and ' the next two weeks are crucial' ad nauseum is no lean feat.

:rolleyes:

Wow great response.

Simply pointing out that your statement that we were all 'terrified back in March', was you projecting your own hysteria onto others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

And again I will say this was new and yes back in March we didnt have to wear masks

Again I'll say I dont agree with a lot of what's happening but come on we cannot knock them for things done at the beginning because we knew very little about this virus

We didn't have to wear masks, the numbers declined and no shopping centres became sources of outbreaks

This continued all through the summer despite the country (pubs aside) being reopened in that time.

Then they brought in mandatory masks, opened schools, and cases went up.

Coincidence? Yes. CV-19 like other viruses of its type is seasonal, but it also shows that masks have had very little effect on the spread but they DO serve as a very visible reminder of the "new normal" and to fear your neighbours

That's the main reason for them.

• Advertisement

Allinall wrote: »
    Newsflash

The sun rose in the east yesterday, and will do so tomorrow.

This is despite lockdown effects, as evidenced by the same thing happening last year.

Where's the evidence that "crime goes up"?

https://www.thejournal.ie/crime-stats-garda-5217712-Sep2020/

Why do you link an article talking about March - June 2020? We are in November. Now unless you assume that lockdown in March is the same as lockdown in November, except for
    - no mortgage breaks
    - permanent unemployment has increased
    - Part time staff are no longer on 350 euros PUP but rather on 200 euros
    - in general, 20% + of population has endured multiple months of reduced income

Combination of above = increase in crime. But then you were suggesting to me in other thread that Irish corporation tax receipts in August were from 2020 period.... :rolleyes: funny enough when CT receipts for 2020 started to come in October onward they were nearly 1bn less than for same period 2019.

Wow great response.

Simply pointing out that your statement that we were all 'terrified back in March', was you projecting your own hysteria onto others.

But you saw what was coming ? I simply said you could have stepped into Tonys shoes if you did and it would have helped greatly

Can you point out where I projected my hysteria onto others ?

But you saw what was coming ? I simply said you could have stepped into Tonys shoes if you did and it would have helped greatly

Can you point out where I projected my hysteria onto others ?

You know its bad when you have to ask..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Penfailed wrote: »
    Ah, c'mon. Those figures bandied about at the start were based on inaccurate modelling. He wasn't the only one to do so. It was similar all over the world. It's cheap point scoring.
    Penfailed wrote: »
    They ALL got it wrong at the start.

that doesn't fly being frank.

He sells himself as an expert - he should be an expert then not a mere reader of the UK (Ferguson model)
    I can do that based on education and work experience. I'd design better requirements, code and testing too.

You've kinda hit the nail on the head though in terms of academic and political group-think. It's just follow the leader to a huge extent.

That's why dissenters are so important and makes the Big tech ,Media and HSE attempts to silence them so nauseating

You know its bad when you have to ask..

Sorry can you point it out to me.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    We didn't have to wear masks, the numbers declined and no shopping centres became sources of outbreaks

This continued all through the summer despite the country (pubs aside) being reopened in that time.

Then they brought in mandatory masks, opened schools, and cases went up.

Coincidence? Yes. CV-19 like other viruses of its type is seasonal, but it also shows that masks have had very little effect on the spread but they DO serve as a very visible reminder of the "new normal" and to fear your neighbours

That's the main reason for them.

Exactly. The purpose of the mask is to dehumanise people and to keep extremely frightened people even more frightened. In the countries with 24/7 mask wearing case numbers (which I consider to be pointless, but which most people obsess over) are through the roof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

We can however blame them for what the are now doing and will continue to do for a substantial amount of time

Tony H has already said the vaccine will only “compliment” current measures

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Holohan has achieved nothing any other pen pushing autocrat wouldn’t have (ie not very much). (Some) People speak in reverence like he banished Covid or something. He contributed to the worst economic damage in Europe and fairly middling Covid stats that are comparable to anywhere else.

We can however blame them for what the are now doing and will continue to do for a substantial amount of time

Yes. Translation: permanent mask-wearing.

• Advertisement

Absoutely, I was talking about back at the start when no one what's was going to happen

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement