Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

Spoken by a frequenter of the main thread, which has jackboots calling for the army to break into houses and detain people

And the irony is that the lads in the main thread call the restrictions thread people nutters. Ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Would explain why Tony was hellbent on going to level 5 three days after NPHET didn’t see any need to change anything.

Perhaps he saw the increasing rate of hospital acquired infection and that’s what was behind the drastic trigger pull to level 5.

Case numbers have halved in the 14 day report since the beginning of the month, but the hospitalisation rate has doubled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Just off the phone with my uncle,

He owns a wet pub in Dublin and expects to be open for table service from 9 December.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

And the irony is that the lads in the main thread call the restrictions thread people nutters. Ridiculous

The moral pontificating by a number of posters on that thread is absolutely breathtaking.

Port Wine and chocolate is all some of them deposit in the toilet it seems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The moral pontificating by a number of posters on that thread is absolutely breathtaking.

Yes they all have their individual little “horror stories” to share with all and sundry too. They are a must have

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Did the first lockdown even work? They closed schools on the 12th of March, Pubs were closed on the 15th of March, non essential businesses about a week later. The Virus peaked between April 12th and 19th. A month after schools and pubs were closed, 3 weeks after non essential shops being closed.

The Virus basically just peaked and ****ed off for a few months. Lockdowns are supposed to slow the spread or flatten the curve. But there are no curves being flattened. The Virus just falls away dramatically after peaking.

We have to just accept that nobody in a position of power has any idea what they are doing. Nobody knows what they are doing. They are locking us down and not even knowing if it works or not.

Now we are hearing the General Holohan wants to go deeper into December. For what? What evidence or examples from his experience suggest that we should listen to him?

Does anyone read these posts and just think some people live in absolute crazy town. I mean I can see the arguments around the cost of a lockdown versus the benefits along with many other arguments against them but trying to push the idea that the covid numbers aren't linked is jaw-droppingly stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Some of the comments on Facebook these past few months are beyond hysterical and bat sh** crazy.

- "SHUT DOWN THE AIRPORTS AND BAN ALL TRAVEL"
    - "THANK GOD WE WENT TO LEVEL 5 WHEN WE DID"
    - "WE NEED MAJOR FINES TO STOP PEOPLE TRAVELLING"
    - "LOCKDOWN UNTIL 2021 NOW"
    - "LEVEL 6 IS NEEDED"
    - "THIS VIRUS IS OUT OF CONTROL THANKS TO SOME PEOPLE NOT LISTENING TO HOLOHAN"
    - "WE NEED TO BAN ALL TRAVEL FROM THE AIRPORTS AND PORTS"
    - "ANYONE WHO COMES HOME FOR CHRISTMAS AND SPREADS THE VIRUS SHOULD BE LOCKED UP"

I think a lot of the lockdown faithful are just posturing on boards. They're seemingly courageous and self sacrificing beyond the point of reason in regards to their personal lives.

RobitTV wrote: »
    Some of the comments on Facebook these past few months are beyond hysterical and bat sh** crazy.

- "SHUT DOWN THE AIRPORTS AND BAN ALL TRAVEL"
    - "THANK GOD WE WENT TO LEVEL 5 WHEN WE DID"
    - "WE NEED MAJOR FINES TO STOP PEOPLE TRAVELLING"
    - "LOCKDOWN UNTIL 2021 NOW"
    - "LEVEL 6 IS NEEDED"
    - "THIS VIRUS IS OUT OF CONTROL THANKS TO SOME PEOPLE NOT LISTENING TO HOLOHAN"
    - "WE NEED TO BAN ALL TRAVEL FROM THE AIRPORTS AND PORTS"
    - "ANYONE WHO COMES HOME FOR CHRISTMAS AND SPREADS THE VIRUS SHOULD BE LOCKED UP"

Anyone fancy crowdfunding a time machine to go back and kill Mark Zuckerberg before he founded Facebook?

• Advertisement

Does anyone read these posts and just think some people live in absolute crazy town. I mean I can see the arguments around the cost of a lockdown versus the benefits along with many other arguments against them but trying to push the idea that the covid numbers aren't linked is jaw-droppingly stupid.

I think anyone that continues to think lockdowns are some kind of answer is firmly imbedded in crazytown

Anyone fancy crowdfunding a time machine to go back and kill Mark Zuckerberg before he founded Facebook?

Social media has proven itself to be a massive force for bad throughout this. It’s the modern way of spreading mass hysteria

road_high wrote: »
    Social media has proven itself to be a massive force for bad throughout this. It’s the modern way of spreading mass hysteria

I have an uncle who shares every detail of his personal life on FB and he must have shared a dozen posts about American tourists in Killarney, Dublin, Galway etc over the summer. Just pure stupid guff

I think anyone that continues to think lockdowns are some kind of answer is firmly imbedded in crazytown

You obviously have a reading comprehension issue. My post was not related to if lockdowns are or aren't the answer. I specifically made reference to that in my post. It was related to this madcap notion that they don't have an effect on the corona cases and the Trumpism that it just magically peaked and disappered.

You obviously have a reading comprehension issue. My post was not related to if lockdowns are or aren't the answer. I specifically made reference to that in my post. It was related to this madcap notion that they don't have an effect on the corona cases and the Trumpism that it just magically peaked and disappered.

Well then you clearly made reference to lockdowns you absolute cabbage!

Mod: Banned

I have an uncle who shares every detail of his personal life on FB and he must have shared a dozen posts about American tourists in Killarney, Dublin, Galway etc over the summer. Just pure stupid guff

Yes pure attention seeking - look at me I support lockdowns, amnt i so virtuous and better than them”
    Very common with the lockdown curtain twitchers really

Well then you clearly made reference to lockdowns you absolute cabbage!

It is called context. I know that is probably not a concept you are familiar with.

Name-calling, what age are you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think people are suffering from PTSD. They felt l secure during lockdown and are in fear of their lives of this nothing Virus that you need to be tested to try and work out if you have it or not.

They cry about people not wearing masks outdoors. They probably wear masks in their cars. They leave their homes to go out and record people congregation from their camera phones. They watch the NPHET daily press conference religiously. They see Tony Holohan as a reassuring voice and an authority figure. They say things like "oh no, they will lock us down for longer if we don't stick to the rules". They are weak, servile individuals. They will be of no use should we ever come within a true crisis. Send them to the front as cannon fodder. The cannot be relied upon.

I have taken note of the Pro-Lockdowners in my life. Some people have surprised me. I know they cannot be trusted for when it really matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Just off the phone with my uncle,

He owns a wet pub in Dublin and expects to be open for table service from 9 December.

Why not the second?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I think people are suffering from PTSD. They felt l secure during lockdown and are in fear of their lives of this nothing Virus that you need to be tested to try and work out if you have it or not.

They cry about people not wearing masks outdoors. They probably wear masks in their cars. They leave their homes to go out and record people congregation from their camera phones. They watch the NPHET daily press conference religiously. They see Tony Holohan as a reassuring voice and an authority figure. They say things like "oh no, they will lock us down for longer if we don't stick to the rules". They are weak, servile individuals. They will be of no use should we ever come within a true crisis. Send them to the front as cannon fodder. The cannot be relied upon.

I have taken note of the Pro-Lockdowners in my life. Some people have surprised me. I know they cannot be trusted for when it really matters.

Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

The paradox is coming full circle

The good times in the 1st world for the last few decades have given rise to what we are seeing for the last few months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

If you can't even put up with the mildest of emergencies like covid, constantly whining about restrictions, how on earth are you going to cope with something bigger? The lack of self awareness here is absolutely staggering.

froog wrote: »
    If you can't even put up with the mildest of emergencies like covid, constantly whining about restrictions, how on earth are you going to cope with something bigger? The lack of self awareness here is absolutely staggering.

How is covid mild? You have 20% unemployment, 45% youth unemployment and a 24 billion euro deficit. How is that mild?

If you feel at risk from a respiratory virus of the “potency” of Covid 19 then you really are a patheticly weak individual

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

If you feel at risk from a respiratory virus of the “potency” of Covid 19 then you really are a patheticly weak individual

Mod:

When you come back from your holiday don't post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

And yet despite your own admission that this CV-19 emergency is indeed among the mildest, we have among the harshest responses to it being justified by people like yourself.

Staggering indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Wait until they start administering the vaccines!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Restrictions for what though? This nothing Virus? It's just as potent as the winter flu. This isn't ebola. There is nothing to be afraid of. We don't need restrictions. Holohans servilians are just weaklings. Mentally feeble. Cannot lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Looking at the NFL game in Jacksonville just now shows how distancing can be done in large stadiums.
    It's a sickner the intercounty panels can't even bring all members to the matches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭AssetBacked2

This. It's as simple as this.

To think that all we are calling for in this thread is to get back on with our lives so just allowing businesses to open and travel to resume as well as abandoning heavy restrictions on people (ie don't stand near others, put on a face covering, don't visit the homes of families), is really disturbing to then see the extremists call to retain such restrictions.

For what? A not very harmful virus which requires an orchestrated advertising campaign to make you fear it as data is not able to show you. It's a bizarre world and disturbing how many think social and economic restrictions are not utterly devastating and that it is sufficient justification to just try to prop up the economy but not the social wellbeing of people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement