Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,019 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Thankfully., I've better things to be doing than whinging about someone using a Roald Dahl quote.

Clearly nothing better to do this evening apart from pop into this Thread

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Jesus, pubs staying closed get €15k bonus, why would they bother reopening, this on top of €5k a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

This Sam McConkey fella should ask George Lee out on a date, they have a lot in common wanting everyone locked up and as miserable as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,141 ✭✭✭✭JRant

almostover wrote: »
    Yup looks like we're throwing caution to the wind here and admitting things will be gone to pot by the new year and another lockdown will be upon us. Personal responsibility will be the new buzz word come Jan 2021. We all partied and we must now pay the price etc. I'll probably make the most of it myself up until 10 days out from the big day. Will pull back from social contact situations then. Really don't want to be having xmas dinner away from family. We're been given as much rope as we want now. And essentially the public wont be in a position to complain if we have to lockdown in Jan. Worst thing is that 4-5weeks of being open won't save a lot of businesses if its followed by another closure. It's a sh*show really but I can see why the government have made this decision. It's their 'let them eat cake' moment.

No offense but what on earth are you on about? It doesn't matter what the public do. The next lockdown has already been flagged. Dublin hasn't been below level 3+ except for a few short weeks during the summer. Enough is enough at this stage.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Maybe I missed it, but I know it’s only pubs with a kitchen allowed open, but is the €9 meal still a thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

You don't have to pay the fine, you can challenge it through the court system. If you get fined go visit a GP and get a fitness to work cert the same day.
    I'll help organize your go fund me. If your healthy there's no way the High court will rule you should be restricted.

Boards is amazing. It's full of armchair virologists and epidemiologists...and now it's armchair legal eagles.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Jesus, pubs staying closed get €15k bonus, why would they bother reopening, this on top of €5k a week

5k a week ? Who's getting 5k, no pub i know. They get a percentage of turnover in grants but for most it isn't 5k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭ElektroToad

5k a week ? Who's getting 5k, no pub i know. They get a percentage of turnover in grants but for most it isn't 5k

I'm sure the bigger ones in Dublin CC certainly would be. It's based on a % of their "pre-COVID" weekly turnover so I'd imagine they'd easily hit the 5k per week cap.

Jesus what are the odds of a emergency budget in the Spring? Paschal's numbers will be looking pretty grim after all these extra supports are paid out

And this is exactly why the country will be financially ruined for the next decade. Perfectly good businesses being paid to stay closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I'm sure the bigger ones in Dublin CC certainly would be. It's based on a % of their "pre-COVID" weekly turnover so I'd imagine they'd easily hit the 5k per week cap.

Jesus what are the odds of a emergency budget in the Spring? Paschal's numbers will be looking pretty grim after all these extra supports are paid out

Well yeah if your a massive place that doesn't do food then yeah they'd get it but your average pub thats still closed wouldn't be getting 5k a week anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Why are kids not allowed play sports matches and adults for that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

gmisk wrote: »
    Ok might be a stupid question.
    The restrictions on intercounty travel are likely to go for a short time on the 18th...
    I am based in dublin...I want to get to co down to see my sister etc.
    My partner works in healthcare...they have to complete form to say no one in their household has travelled outside of Ireland...if they have he is out of work for 2 weeks...does the north count or not I wonder?

Technically, it's still Ireland.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

Because COVID knows if you are an amateur or intercounty or professional and will strike accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Penfailed wrote: »
    Boards is amazing. It's full of armchair virologists and epidemiologists...and now it's armchair legal eagles.

... 14 mins later ...
    Penfailed wrote: »
    Technically, it's still Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Midlife crisis man

Am I right in that the NPHET letter to government, they recommend allowing visitors to one other household from Dec 2 but government are not allowing it until Dec 18?

I've followed all the rules to a T and even had a falling out with my dad for not letting him visit to see the grandkids but I was really hoping for a relaxation in the household rule. The kids really miss their grandparents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

"Higher education should remain online" but adult education is back. I swear they just forgot about us. The virus does not care if you are getting a certificate / diploma instead of a degree

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Common sense and responsibility what is MM thing the cheek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

Am I right in that the NPHET letter to government, they recommend allowing visitors to one other household from Dec 2 but government are not allowing it until Dec 18?

I've followed all the rules to a T and even had a falling out with my dad for not letting him visit to see the grandkids but I was really hoping for a relaxation in the household rule. The kids really miss their grandparents

It will be ok for us to see them in a few weeks, when the incidents rates are higher, but its not ok to see them right now, after 6 weeks of lockdown and low incidence rates. Sorry.

Jesus H Christ, let the man see his grandchildren.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Behind a paywall, but nice to see the obvious being pointed out and questioned....

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/anti-alcohol-zeal-of-public-health-experts-peppers-reopening-debate-1.4420492

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭arctictree

Doesn't make any sense. How are cinemas and gyms open (indoors), yet kids aren't allowed play matches outdoors? I thought it's been proven that crowds in indoor spaces spreads covid much easier than outdoors??

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Midlife crisis man

JRant wrote: »
    Jesus H Christ, let the man see his grandchildren.

I hear ya, but doesn't that then defeat the whole point of all this? Plus he'd be pretty high risk. I'm not happy about it but I'll continue to follow government recommendations

Is the nonsense 5KM gone?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Is the nonsense 5KM gone?

Yeah from Dec 1st you can travel within your county

I hear ya, but doesn't that then defeat the whole point of all this? Plus he'd be pretty high risk. I'm not happy about it but I'll continue to follow government recommendations

There is no point to all this. We can't see the data driving these decisions.

If he's happy to see the kids then let him. He's a grown man and we'll able to make his own mind up. Think about it another way. If he passed from something else and he didn't get to see his grandchildren for X amount of months, that will eat away at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lukas8888

Link please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

If you are following all the recommendations why didn't you form a support bubble with him in October? Seriously use some common sense!!

Hard to say, but I suspect there's alot of city pubs getting the full whack, not so much rural. Leo was keen to stress the 15k bonus, neglected of course to say not all will get it

lukas8888 wrote: »
    Link please.

Listen back to the press conference, came out of Leo's big mouth

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Harpon

Why not let him visit but keep 2 metres from them or have everyone wear masks during the visit, madness not letting him visit

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement