Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

NPHET and Tony still spreading unneccary unfounded fear through a compliant media who should know better :-

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ireland-in-precarious-position-as-third-covid-19-wave-could-be-more-deadly-nphet-warns-1.4421759?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fhealth%2Fireland-in-precarious-position-as-third-covid-19-wave-could-be-more-deadly-nphet-warns-1.4421759

RTE themselves admiited the second wave was 90% less dangerous than first wave , so how does Holohan know third wave will be more deadly, covering no doubt for the fact they did nothing pro-active over the summer like creating substantial more ICU facilities - typical NPHET response to a gullible already over-anxious public. Thankfully we have not had the reports and images like we had back in March and April of the first wave in Italy and NYC , no mention of that , just instill more unnnessary fearto the public .Dreadful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

acequion wrote: »
    I don't think so Rrrr2! Ireland is the champion land of virtue signallers and it goes way back, long before the coining of that expression. Call it do gooder, holy Joe, alter boy, we seem to breed them pure here!

But on another note, I honestly don't know how any of ye could inflict the toy show on yerselves! It sounds predictably Covid propagandist. I watched some Netflix but I find it's becoming harder to switch off and to forget the dystopian world we're living in.

I really am worried at this point. I remember the first emergency budget of autumn 2008. I remember the Govt of the day apologising profusely about the new health levy, which they assured us would be temporary. Which went on to become the USC, a now completely normalised extra tax. And the rest is history. Fast forward to March 2020. Leo, in great gravitas on Paddy's Day, tentatively trying to prepare us that this dreadful Covid world just might go on into the summer. And that for two weeks until Easter Sunday we'd all have to try out these once in a lifetime restrictions. Remember?? Fast forward 8 months and the entire population thinks a 3 week break from these restrictions is a celebratory event and all are resigned to heading back into the dungeon come January.

It really is incredible, not to mention alarming, how the unthinkable quite quickly becomes normalised. And no better country for that than Ireland!

This is both a scary and accurate post.

Last March 2 weeks seemed inconceivable.

Its weird what we acquiesce too.

We can’t get out of this.

People are losing their minds that the LLS raised 6m for charity.

If my Heineken effected calculations are correct, that amount would cover the Covid deficit until midday today in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Well hopefully we’ll see similar political mutiny here. Martin is a dreadful Taoiseach- can’t even act like a leader. Major shift needed- completely lacking any modicum of governance now

Varadkar and Holohan are playing Martin for a fool. They are clearly using his desperation to be Taoiseach against him. They are undermine him every chance they get and he goes along with it. Because he knows if this Govt falls he'll never be Taoiseach again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭patnor1011

thebaz wrote: »
    NPHET and Tony still spreading unneccary unfounded fear through a compliant media who should know better :-

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ireland-in-precarious-position-as-third-covid-19-wave-could-be-more-deadly-nphet-warns-1.4421759?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fhealth%2Fireland-in-precarious-position-as-third-covid-19-wave-could-be-more-deadly-nphet-warns-1.4421759

RTE themselves admiited the second wave was 90% less dangerous than first wave , so how does Holohan know third wave will be more deadly, covering no doubt for the fact they did nothing pro-active over the summer like creating substantial more ICU facilities - typical NPHET response to a gullible already over-anxious public. Thankfully we have not had the reports and images like we had back in March and April of the first wave in Italy and NYC , no mention of that , just instill more unnnessary fearto the public .Dreadful

Italy, mainly the north part go through the same situation with overwhelmed hospitals and people dropping dead left and right pretty much every flu season. The only difference between flu season and covid was the novelty effect and more cameras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I'm sure the bigger ones in Dublin CC certainly would be. It's based on a % of their "pre-COVID" weekly turnover so I'd imagine they'd easily hit the 5k per week cap.

Jesus what are the odds of a emergency budget in the Spring? Paschal's numbers will be looking pretty grim after all these extra supports are paid out

Complain that the pubs won't be able to afford to reopen...and then complain when they get help. Okay.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,666 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

thebaz wrote: »

I actually burst out laughing at third wave. You create a wave every single time you close and open back up. You can create as many as you want. 23 is my favourite number so I’m looking forward to the 23rd wave, that’ll be the best yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

MOH wrote: »
    ... 14 mins later ...

Hahaha! Touché!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I actually burst out laughing at third wave. You create a wave every single time you close and open back up. You can create as many as you want. 23 is my favourite number so I’m looking forward to the 23rd wave, that’ll be the best yet.

My favourite fairy tale story when I was a child was “the little boy who cried wolf”.
    All these years later I’m staggered that I’m actually living in that story in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Exactly. The hyper emotional crap is stomach churning tbh. My grandparents are dead sadly but I can tell you not one of them would want to be treated as about to die imbeciles, and they’d be horrified at the prospect of others losing out to supposedly “protect” them living

Did they tell you this in a seance or something? Big LOL at the wingnuts that have completely over run this thread. Dropped in to see how it was going and it looks like the hysteria has taken over. Once you see that phrase “virtue signalling” bandied about you know the loons have taken over the asylum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Don't be surprised next winter when Holohan comes back out of the woodwork looking for government to implement face masks on public transport and pub restrictions for winter flu. It will also coincide with his newly released book out in all good book stores for Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭patnor1011

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Did they tell you this in a seance or something? Big LOL at the wingnuts that have completely over run this thread. Dropped in to see how it was going and it looks like the hysteria has taken over. Once you see that phrase “virtue signalling” bandied about you know the loons have taken over the asylum.

Every loon here finds its own thread where they feel at home.
    Some loons like to wade in other threads to see what is happening there and other loons simply can't resist offering some of their wisdom or a little dose of virtue signalling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,019 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Its a max of 15k, you'd need to have substantial turnover to get it, capped at 5k per week. Its not a new scheme just giving a few double weeks. Most get nowhere near 5k per week

I agree, my point is the fact the point was pointed out by Leo, he gave a distinct impression every pub in the land was in for a nice little €15k bonus, of course neglecting too and not questioned on the fact that probably 90% of city pubs and 100% of rural pubs won't see the colour of €15k. There's also this narrative that every person on PUP gets €350 when infact only about 20% of claimants get the higher amount, the remaining on €300, €250 and as low as €203. And let's not forget the inordinate amount of self employed on it with not a hope in hell of their situation improving for months.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Don't be surprised next winter when Holohan comes back out of the woodwork looking for government to implement face masks on public transport and pub restrictions for winter flu. It will also coincide with his newly released book out in all good book stores for Christmas.

Let get through this winter, never mind next winter

I fail to understand the constant need to invent scenarios to get angry about

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

I think there is a fare chance a vaccine will not be widely a available until then so I don’t think he will be going away anytime soon remember there are approximately 8 billion people on this planet even if all the company’s went into overdrive production wise they will not meet demand.
    In Ireland’s case the politicians are two weak to change the yo-yo tune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Varadkar and Holohan are playing Martin for a fool. They are clearly using his desperation to be Taoiseach against him. They are undermine him every chance they get and he goes along with it. Because he knows if this Govt falls he'll never be Taoiseach again.

We're already there.

With a complete and utter lack of talent coming through in FF, they were already on the way to the dustbin of history.

This has all just hastened it up.

I think there is a fare chance a vaccine will not be widely a available until then so I don’t think he will be going away anytime soon remember there are approximately 8 billion people on this planet even if all the company’s went into overdrive production wise they will not meet demand.
    In Ireland’s case the politicians are two weak to change the yo-yo tune.

Good point and I'm astonished at the Vaccine release hysteria, NOT ONE as been approved yet, the pzier one alone offers serious logistical challenges (storage), if our health system buckles with less than 500 patients in ICU, I Shudder to think how the HSE will manage any vaccine roll out, the Oxford one is also under question regarding data released or should that be not released. At best, Ireland will be fortunate to see any vaccine in 6 months but I suspect a longer time.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭manniot2

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Good point and I'm astonished at the Vaccine release hysteria, NOT ONE as been approved yet, the pzier one alone offers serious logistical challenges (storage), if our health system buckles with less than 500 patients in ICU, I Shudder to think how the HSE will manage any vaccine roll out, the Oxford one is also under question regarding data released or should that be not released. At best, Ireland will be fortunate to see any vaccine in 6 months but I suspect a longer time.

The goalposts are already starting to move re the vaccine. First it was “when we get the vaccine” now it’s beginning to be “when we see the effect of the vaccine”. We are in this for the long haul.

manniot2 wrote: »
    The goalposts are already starting to move re the vaccine. First it was “when we get the vaccine” now it’s beginning to be “when we see the effect of the vaccine”. We are in this for the long haul.

Yes looks that way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

It appears the Covid bill is costing 5 million an hour for Ireland to keep the lights on

Add Brexit on to that and Ireland will find itself back in 1930

• Advertisement

It appears the Covid bill is costing 5 million an hour for Ireland to keep the lights on

Add Brexit on to that and Ireland will find itself back in 1930

It will be fine, honestly , Leaky Leo has spoken, 150k back to work on Tuesday (Dillusional), 1000"s of businesses reopening (Yes, temporarily, get a few bob in for Christmas and then close) but most importantly for Him anyway, he'll be able to refresh, go to the Gym and get a haircut on Wednesday, god bless his cotton socks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,561 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

It will be fine, honestly , Leaky Leo has spoken, 150k back to work on Tuesday (Dillusional), 1000"s of businesses reopening (Yes, temporarily, get a few bob in for Christmas and then close) but most importantly for Him anyway, he'll be able to refresh, go to the Gym and get a haircut on Wednesday, god bless his cotton socks.

Every one of your posts is about Leo??

Are you using covid threads to have a rant about him?

There is a thread in the current affairs all about him if you need to vent.

I'm amazed at how much he gets into people's heads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,330 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Plenty of places not opening for the sake of a few weeks, it's blindingly obvious Micheal and Leo have never had to worry about cah flow, stock or profitability. They have no clue what it takes to open a business let alone keep it open.

I'm annoyed at the Gastro pubs, they should have stood firm with the pubs and took an all or nothing approach. I suspect most restaurants won't open, there's no point unless they want to be shamed and broke come January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Plenty of places not opening for the sake of a few weeks, it's blindingly obvious Micheal and Leo have never had to worry about cah flow, stock or profitability. They have no clue what it takes to open a business let alone keep it open.

I'm annoyed at the Gastro pubs, they should have stood firm with the pubs and took an all or nothing approach. I suspect most restaurants won't open, there's no point unless they want to be shamed and broke come January.
    Letting food venues open gets up to 90K off PUP. Even for a short periods it's good for both workers and the State coffers. Pubs are in a no-win situation because data elsewhere marks them down as a massive risk and they are wholly dependent on the number of new infections being very low.

All 5 local restaurants to me are taking bookings.

Don't know where you get most won't open from.

I think the restrictions are nonsense too but let's not create and peddle lies.

Clearly your not thouraghly checking my posts, after your weetabix, perhaps check back, I've commented on others, namely Mehole, Eamonn Ryan, HSE etc. Leaky Leo desperately wants attention, so yes, I'm happy to oblige, and just for the record, I don't require advice on were I post, I've been posting on Boards for 10 years.

Clearly your not thouraghly checking my posts, after your weetabix, perhaps check back, I've commented on others, namely Mehole, Eamonn Ryan, HSE etc. Leaky Leo desperately wants attention, so yes, I'm happy to oblige, and just for the record, I don't require advice on were I post, I've about 10 years experience on Boards.

10 years experience on Boards?

Right I'll back off so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I’d say those who have lost their jobs/savings/business may beg to differ.

I fully understand that people are concerned about lockdown/restrictions lasting through 2021 or even becoming permanent. I’m a little bit worried about it myself.

But personally I think that something has got to give in 2021.

We’ve already seen some protests around Europe. People are losing interest. Economies are on life support. Unemployment and national debts are WAY too high to maintain. Even government back benches are starting to majorly oppose lockdown.

It’s all going to fall apart one way or another next year. I’m hopeful that the vaccine will be the solution as opposed to economic collapse or large scale riots.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    Letting food venues open gets up to 90K off PUP. Even for a short periods it's good for both workers and the State coffers. Pubs are in a no-win situation because data elsewhere marks them down as a massive risk and they are wholly dependent on the number of new infections being very low.

Yes, I agree but sadly it's not reality, I've spoken to many on PUP, I was on it also, the hurdles people have to jump through to get back on it are absurd, also not highlighted enough is the amount of arrears owed, there's ample evidence on boards about this, some are owed thousands. Perhaps I'm wrong but coupled with such uncertainty, especially Restaurants and the grief involved in re applying for PUP, I'd be shocked if your going to see a stampede of hospitality workers going back for a few weeks with ZERO assurances. I'm not saying it's a good situation, I'm saying incoherent messaging from government coupled with months of no revenues, there's going to be a tidal wave of closures early next year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement