Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,330 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

All 5 local restaurants to me are taking bookings.

Don't know where you get most won't open from.

I think the restrictions are nonsense too but let's not create and peddle lies.

A few here, i'm certainly not peddling lies, https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/it-just-doesn-t-feel-safe-the-restaurants-that-will-not-reopen-in-2020-1.4420509
    I know near me a few gastro pubs didn't open under the levels plan, they said it was just not worth their while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,019 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

10 years experience on Boards?

Right I'll back off so.

Enjoy your weetabix, warm milk helps calm indigestion

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Yes, I agree but sadly it's not reality, I've spoken to many on PUP, I was on it also, the hurdles people have to jump through to get back on it are absurd, also not highlighted enough is the amount of arrears owed, there's ample evidence on boards about this, some are owed thousands. Perhaps I'm wrong but coupled with such uncertainty, especially Restaurants and the grief involved in re applying for PUP, I'd be shocked if your going to see a stampede of hospitality workers going back for a few weeks with ZERO assurances. I'm not saying it's a good situation, I'm saying incoherent messaging from government coupled with months of no revenues, there's going to be a tidal wave of closures early next year.

I know of one business who is opening but paying the staff under the table so they don’t have to come off PUP. I’m sure there are many others.

A few here, i'm certainly not peddling lies, https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/it-just-doesn-t-feel-safe-the-restaurants-that-will-not-reopen-in-2020-1.4420509
    I know near me a few gastro pubs didn't open under the levels plan, they said it was just not worth their while.

Agreed and it's been widely reported, just as an aside, I know of 3 that have been told by suppliers, cash up front if you please, the industry is on its knees. I remember a time were Chefs could command the highest of salaries, recruitment firms falling over themselves looking for chefs, not anymore, sadly with travel restrictions, there's no alternatives abroad either.

I know of one business who is opening but paying the staff under the table so they don’t have to come off PUP. I’m sure there are many others.

As it happens I know 2 and ill go further, Staff being given all4one vouchers equivalent to any hours worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,330 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I fully understand that people are concerned about lockdown/restrictions lasting through 2021 or even becoming permanent. I’m a little bit worried about it myself.

But personally I think that something has got to give in 2021.

We’ve already seen some protests around Europe. People are losing interest. Economies are on life support. Unemployment and national debts are WAY too high to maintain. Even government back benches are starting to majorly oppose lockdown.

It’s all going to fall apart one way or another next year. I’m hopeful that the vaccine will be the solution as opposed to economic collapse or large scale riots.

There's a protest in Dublin today, it's very hard to get the message out to people, facebook no doubt on govenrment orders has closed down all large restrictions and health themed groups. I honestly believe these county restrictions are not for our safety there for the Governments. It was clear the protests were getting bigger and bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

I fully understand that people are concerned about lockdown/restrictions lasting through 2021 or even becoming permanent. I’m a little bit worried about it myself.

But personally I think that something has got to give in 2021.

We’ve already seen some protests around Europe. People are losing interest. Economies are on life support. Unemployment and national debts are WAY too high to maintain. Even government back benches are starting to majorly oppose lockdown.

It’s all going to fall apart one way or another next year. I’m hopeful that the vaccine will be the solution as opposed to economic collapse or large scale riots.

I dont see any of it becoming permanent. You have to remember that the only reason we are re opening and government "allowing" people to travel home for Christmas etc. is because people were going to do it anyways. So govt would not seem like that they lost all their "power" - came out with this silly announcement and said "you cant travel before 18th because Covid is extremely deadly, but you can travel after 18th of Dec home for Christmas"

Its highly political.

I do have to say my stomach was turning when Mehole was talking about toy show and all of that absolute rubbish. Mr Fox? The most cringe moment when he says "I know people have been through a lot" - how the fk do you know that? Youve been on 150k+ for entire year.... you didnt have to lay off any staff. or close down any businesses permanently. or beg the bank for extension on your mortgage break...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Dempo1 wrote:
    Clearly your not thouraghly checking my posts, after your weetabix, perhaps check back, I've commented on others, namely Mehole, Eamonn Ryan, HSE etc. Leaky Leo desperately wants attention, so yes, I'm happy to oblige, and just for the record, I don't require advice on were I post, I've about 10 years experience on Boards.

Right I'll back off so.

Dempo1 wrote:
    Enjoy your weetabix, warm milk helps calm indigestion

Take some to relax yourselves with those Weetabix, the pair of you - or bring your disagreement to PM.

Let's keep on topic & not derail thread with your verbal duel.

There's a protest in Dublin today, it's very hard to get the message out to people, facebook no doubt on govenrment orders has closed down all large restrictions and health themed groups. I honestly believe these county restrictions are not for our safety there for the Governments. It was clear the protests were getting bigger and bigger.

The media have done an excellent job at getting people to stay away from the protests.

They’ve been labelled as right wing lunatics, anti mask etc and things people don’t want to be associated with.

I think protests could really kick off next year if things remain as they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

A spoonful of Karma from Covid for serving the flesh of brutality murdered animals. The publicans that survive the pandemic need their awareness raised about veganism and planning vegan menus going forward as we change behaviours to fit in with the new normal. The next few weeks are going to be crucial as there is a lot of cause for concern but if we hold firm and stay in it together we can build back better going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

The media have done an excellent job at getting people to stay away from the protests.

They’ve been labelled as right wing lunatics, anti mask etc and things people don’t want to be associated with.

I think protests could really kick off next year if things remain as they are.

We need more water cannons to cool off any disobedient peasantry that even try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Paddygreen wrote: »
    A spoonful of Karma from Covid for serving the flesh of brutality murdered animals. The publicans that survive the pandemic need their awareness raised about veganism and planning vegan menus going forward as we change behaviours to fit in with the new normal. The next few weeks are going to be crucial as there is a lot of cause for concern but if we hold firm and stay in it together we can build back better going forward.

Ah come on, I'm trying to enjoy my black pudding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I expect to see a Covid Solidarity Tax next year. I'm sure the CST, like VRT and USC, will just be a temporary tax.

There will also be a raid on private sector pension funds.

As per usual, the groups targeted to pay the bill will be private sector workers who won't have time to attend large scale protests - they'll be far too busy paying to keep a roof over their heads.

Expect any talk of public sector pay reductions or cuts to SW or pensions to be resisted fiercely by the usual suspects. Services will cut to ribbons too.

This is all coming in post and the clappy-seals who want to build a statue to St. Tony will be the ones moaning the most about it when the time comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I expect to see a Covid Solidarity Tax next year. I'm sure the CST, like VRT and USC, will just be a temporary tax.

There will also be a raid on private sector pension funds.

As per usual, the groups targeted to pay the bill will be private sector workers who won't have time to attend large scale protests - they'll be far too busy paying to keep a roof over their heads.

Expect any talk of public sector pay reductions or cuts to SW or pensions to be resisted fiercely by the usual suspects. Services will cut to ribbons too.

This is all coming in post and the clappy-seals who want to build a statue to St. Tony will be the ones moaning the most about it when the time comes.
    There should be no need for any of this but there will be a tax reckoning on various payments and debt warehousing. A normal economy should grow rapidly, restore the finances and help pay the virtually non-existent interest on borrowings.

so on national television, we have this

Quote "need to give him pfizer vaccine. He is uncooperative so need to knock him out first"

This is a 5 year old child. You can see the whole scene was scripted by Luke O neill. Watch amount of dislikes on the video also... its a clue.

And this is the problem with people going along with these silly restrictions not based on any science - they will just eat up any garbage they are presented with more and more. almost like a habbit.

If lockdowns worked - why would we need a 2nd lockdown? Why would we need a 3rd lockdown in January? If indoor masks worked - why would we need to wear them outdoors now? I personally will not be wearing any masks outdoors, should Gardai stop me I ll tell them where to go. Enough is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Ah come on, I'm trying to enjoy my black pudding

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Quote "need to give him pfizer vaccine. He is uncooperative so need to knock him out first"

This is a 5 year old child. You can see the whole scene was scripted by Luke O neill. Watch amount of dislikes on the video also... its a clue.

And this is the problem with people going along with these silly restrictions not based on any science - they will just eat up any garbage they are presented with more and more. almost like a habbit.

If lockdowns worked - why would we need a 2nd lockdown? Why would we need a 3rd lockdown in January? If indoor masks worked - why would we need to wear them outdoors now? I personally will not be wearing any masks outdoors, should Gardai stop me I ll tell them where to go. Enough is enough.

Funniest part of the vid.
    Tubridy “did he have coronavirus?”
    Kid “I think so” ........ medicates anyway

Welcome to 2020 science kids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

This is a 5 year old child. You can see the whole scene was scripted by Luke O neill. Watch amount of dislikes on the video also... its a clue. .

One of the most disturbing pieces of television I have watched.

Why was a child forced to say such stuff?

dalyboy wrote: »
    Funniest part of the vid.
    Tubridy “did he have coronavirus?”
    Kid “I think so” ........ medicates anyway

Welcome to 2020 science kids

Child was honest for a little bit at the start

"does he have any symptoms?"
    "no, not really"

Classic covid case right there! Highly deadly. Highly infectious :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Lockdowns are like carpet bombing, it works but when the bombing stops the enemy comes back out. In they end troops on the ground is the only way to move forward. If there was a proper test and tracing system there wouldn’t be half the scrambling. It’s the government who decides on strategy this mess is on them for sticking to route 1 tactics.

• Advertisement

I'd say this is the start of governments covid vaccine advertisement promotion. Expect many of these subtle messages over coming months.

But, well I know you know but to everyone else reading this, remember that 99.8% of people recover from covid. When I say recover I mean 90% + of them dont feel anything, get a positive PCR test, continue to feel absolutely fine and 14 days from that moment are counted as "recovered".

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Deeply so. I actually stopped watching it. Imagine sending your poor kid out to do that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

I wish reporters would question more things, maybe they’re not allowed?

For example MM was making a big deal last night about wet pubs

“There is a difference in terms of people sitting down for a meal. It does create a different type of environment to the wet pub environment.“

So if it’s all about the act of sitting down for a meal what difference does it make where the meal comes from? If there are 2 pubs on a street one with a chef and one which was bringing the food in from elsewhere why can only one of these open if the emphasis is on the act of sitting down for a meal making the difference?

Likewise “The evidence is fairly strong in relation to the opening of wet pubs.

“When we’ve opened them with other events - sporting events, the opening of universities - all combined to a significant spike. “

So if all these factors combined to a spike and there’s no sporting events happening, university etc what’s the issue? All Ireland is finished in a few weeks so open the pubs then, no local sport happening and as far as I know universities are all remote (open to correction there) so if all three were contributors and 2 of them don’t happen any more what’s the issue?

I feel sorry for pub owners to be honest, I feel they’re being demonised as an excuse which has more to it than COVID in all honesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

They aren't playing around with us anymore. Now they are exploiting young children on national television to push the vaccine propaganda.

"need to give him pfizer vaccine. He is uncooperative so need to knock him out first"

I think she learned that from somewhere and it's blatantly obvious. No way would a young girl of her age come up with something like that.

RobitTV wrote: »
    They aren't playing around with us anymore. Now they are exploiting young children on national television to push the vaccine propaganda.

"need to give him pfizer vaccine. He is uncooperative so need to knock him out first"

I think she learned that from somewhere and it's blatantly obvious. No way would a young girl of her age come up with something like that.

Both messages are all wrong- forcing a vaccine and using physical violence to do so- I feel like I’ve entered a dystopian parallel universe. Clearly I’m in a minority if this is what it’s part of mainstream media entertainment now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

RobitTV wrote: »
    5 minutes into the toy show and the COVID propaganda begins lol

Did you seriously expect them not to mention it?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

Penfailed wrote: »

It’s flung in our faces 24/7- taking a few hours off would have been very refreshing- what exactly new was achieved that you didn’t know already about Covid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Oh without question- this has been building for some years- the ultimate in nanny state. Once these lockdowns become “normalised” then they make it far far easier to do in future- I expect them to become a regular feature- for weather events, trolly crises etc

I don't expect that at all. Why are the people who are so vocal about opening up also the same people that are so pessimistic about it happening?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Penfailed wrote: »

Well to be fair, it is supposed to be a festive children's toy show :pac: I personally thought they didn't have to mention it on the level they did. Considering the entire population has been consumed by it for 9 months and it has been on the news constantly, people deserve a break.

What ever happened to 'let children be children' even just for one night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭Archeron

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    It’s flung in our faces 24/7- taking a few hours off would have been very refreshing- what exactly new was achieved that you didn’t know already about Covid?

That it's legal to knock an uncooperative teddy bear out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement