Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,327 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Japan coping well..

The National Police Agency said suicides surged to 2,153 in October alone, with more than 17,000 people taking their own lives this year to date, CBS reported.

By comparison, fewer than 2,000 people in the country have died from COVID-19 in 2020

https://www.foxnews.com/world/more-people-died-of-suicide-in-japan-in-one-month-than-the-entire-coronavirus-pandemic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

DCU's Professor Anthony Staines says there is more than enough data from other countries to show the risks from the hospitality sector.

"For most people in Ireland, we don't know where they were infected. In most other European countries, they are doing this tracking back so we have a fair idea where people get infected," said Prof Staines.

That is why we believe that pubs and restaurants are probably major spreaders of this illness because that is what has happened in other countries.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40104089.html

Unbelievable. Another nutty professor gets his few paragraphs in. Look through entire article, this is the most shocking thing, google and facebook are so quick to take down any posts that suggest misinformation or that covid is no deadlier than a flu etc.

While our newspapers here are so eager to type up anything from nutty professors WITHOUT A SINGLE REFERENCE TO ANY COUNTRY in which what the individual is saying is proven / showed. Nor any reference to any scientific peer reviewed published study.

What "most other European countries" is he talking about? Which ones? Why doesnt he say which ones? Give 1 example? Just 1 fkin example??

Really makes my blood boil when idiots are going around chatting shi*, and then you have more individuals on boards telling you "yeah but you arent the expert, he is an expert because he has Epidemiology degree". Well this expert does have epidemiology degree, but he also uses the words such as "probably" and "fair idea". You'd expect something concrete from an "expert" wouldnt you?

If you went in for a fkin surgery and surgeon was telling you "you are probably going to be fine" "I have a fair idea of what I am doing" you wouldnt go under the knife would you now. 2020 - year of absolute idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

DCU's Professor Anthony Staines says there is more than enough data from other countries to show the risks from the hospitality sector.

"For most people in Ireland, we don't know where they were infected. In most other European countries, they are doing this tracking back so we have a fair idea where people get infected," said Prof Staines.

That is why we believe that pubs and restaurants are probably major spreaders of this illness because that is what has happened in other countries.

Unbelievable. Another nutty professor gets his few paragraphs in. Look through entire article, this is the most shocking thing, google and facebook are so quick to take down any posts that suggest misinformation or that covid is no deadlier than a flu etc.

While our newspapers here are so eager to type up anything from nutty professors WITHOUT A SINGLE REFERENCE TO ANY COUNTRY in which what the individual is saying is proven / showed. Nor any reference to any scientific peer reviewed published study.

What "most other European countries" is he talking about? Which ones? Why doesnt he say which ones? Give 1 example? Just 1 fkin example??

Really makes my blood boil when idiots are going around chatting shi*, and then you have more individuals on boards telling you "yeah but you arent the expert, he is an expert because he has Epidemiology degree". Well this expert does have epidemiology degree, but he also uses the words such as "probably" and "fair idea". You'd expect something concrete from an "expert" wouldnt you?

If you went in for a fkin surgery and surgeon was telling you "you are probably going to be fine" "I have a fair idea of what I am doing" you wouldnt go under the knife would you now. 2020 - year of absolute idiots.

You should head over to the opening of wet pubs thread........ One lad justifying keeping them closed by comparing us to America and hinting that anyone looking for those businesses to reopen probably has a dependency problem ☹️

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

You should head over to the opening of wet pubs thread........ One lad justifying keeping them closed by comparing us to America and hinting that anyone looking for those businesses to reopen probably has a dependency problem ☹️

Really ??? I’ve had a 24 slab of lager for going in a fortnight now and there’s 11 left and I’ve a bottle of vodka wrapped up for the friends mother.

I really want to wander up for a few pints this afternoon but I’d make a **** alcoholic !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Gervais08 wrote: »
    Really ??? I’ve had a 24 slab of lager for going in a fortnight now and there’s 11 left and I’ve a bottle of vodka wrapped up for the friends mother.

I really want to wander up for a few pints this afternoon but I’d make a **** alcoholic !!!

I'll better that......I don't drink at home. I go to my local to meet some friends once a week and have some creamy Guinness. Better head off and sign myself in to the AA😒

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

Japan coping well..

The National Police Agency said suicides surged to 2,153 in October alone, with more than 17,000 people taking their own lives this year to date, CBS reported.

By comparison, fewer than 2,000 people in the country have died from COVID-19 in 2020

https://www.foxnews.com/world/more-people-died-of-suicide-in-japan-in-one-month-than-the-entire-coronavirus-pandemic

Japanese suicide rates, while high, have been dropping steadily. 2020 will still have a lower suicide rate than 2019, which has a lower suicide rate than 2018 and so on back to 2010

I'm so sorry your google is broken, it really sucks trying to stay informed without it. All the best

I'm so sorry your google is broken, it really sucks trying to stay informed without it. All the best

Thank you. You have contributed greatly to the Relaxation of Restrictions thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,539 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Japan coping well..

So suicide rates in Japan are declining.

Great news, can't see why Fox are trying to compare them to Covid deaths.

Completely nonsensical, but hardly surprising given what they are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Boggles wrote: »
    So suicide rates in Japan are declining.

Great news, can't see why Fox are trying to compare them to Covid deaths.

Completely nonsensical, but hardly surprising given what they are.

I seem to remember Japan had a fairly high suicide rate anyway, can’t recall why but I doubt Covid has impacted in anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Well this expert does have epidemiology degree, but he also uses the words such as "probably" and "fair idea". You'd expect something concrete from an "expert" wouldnt you?
    Are you looking for someone to lie to you and claim they know these things for definite to make you feel better?
    Because there are plenty of people on boards with zero expertise and 100% confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,927 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I'm off to do the weekly shop shortly and going to buy another box of Bulmers long necks that'll last me the guts of the month. I fully expect protesters at the now segmented off alcohol section and offers to sign me up to alcoholics anonymous :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

I seem to remember Japan had a fairly high suicide rate anyway, can’t recall why but I doubt Covid has impacted in anyway.

It has, the big change in Japan is female suicide has dramatically increased since the ‘pandemic’ started as women are most affected by the unemployment caused.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/11/28/asia/japan-suicide-women-covid-dst-intl-hnk/index.html

Japan coping well..

Certainly does show that they're managing to keep covid well under wraps. Suicide in Japan went down a fair bit at the start of the pandemic iirc, and has risen a little from there of late.
    There were people incorrectly claiming a huge rise in suicide rates here too, hardly surprising Fox is at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Paddygreen wrote: »
    It has, the big change in Japan is female suicide has dramatically increased since the ‘pandemic’ started as women are most affected by the unemployment caused.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/11/28/asia/japan-suicide-women-covid-dst-intl-hnk/index.html

A serious post from paddygreen? Forgot which account were logged in on? :pac:

Ficheall wrote: »
    Are you looking for someone to lie to you and claim they know these things for definite to make you feel better?
    Because there are plenty of people on boards with zero expertise and 100% confidence.

So experts dont know anything for definite, yet recommend keeping 250,000 + out of work?

Sounds solid. :rolleyes:

So experts dont know anything for definite, yet recommend keeping 250,000 + out of work?

Sounds solid. :rolleyes:
    Yes, they make judgments based on the balance of probability etc.
    Anyone who claims to have the omniscience you're after is full of crap.

Ficheall wrote: »
    Yes, they make judgments based on the balance of probability etc.
    Anyone who claims to have the omniscience you're after is full of crap.

I was hoping you would say actual scientific evidence.

But then I am probably a bit naive in times of covid, where tweets are used as news and "evidence", and words of anyone with epidemiology degree are taken as "be all and end all, he is an expert, he makes judgements based on probabilities" :rolleyes:

Funny how same expert, back end of May, was predicting death and destruction for cocooned if we re opened in June.

"A professor of health systems says any situation which would see society resume, with cocooned or those at risk staying home, will not work.

Professor Anthony Staines of Dublin City University (DCU) told Lunchtime Live that such a scenario has already been modeled.

"What happens is the virus springs straight out into the whole community because you can't separate the cocooned.

"Nursing homes are an extreme form of cocooning, and we had hundreds of deaths in nursing homes".

"You're talking about PPE for everyone who shares a house with an older person".

"It has been modelling and it doesn't work.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/anthony-staines-releasing-covid-19-restrictions-except-cocooned-people-wont-work-1021889

Funny isnt it? he was 100% wrong. our deaths WITH covid June to October, averaged at 1 person a day, in a 4,900,000 population.

What a load of shi*e. the "experts" :rolleyes: fkin disgusting, how entire country has been fed this rubbish for so many months, and some still believe in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

It is bleedin' obvious the hospitality spreads the virus, this is something that countries close down when they want to reduce numbers.

It is bleedin' obvious the hospitality spreads the virus, this is something that countries close down when they want to reduce numbers.

So why didnt "cases" start to increase on 29th of June onward?

What hospitality was "opened" or "re opened" back in mid August that caused cases to go up?

I think its bleedin obvious you have no idea where virus transmits.

And before you say "yeah shutting down hospitality is working! Cases are down!" we test 40,000 LESS than before level 5, every 7 days.

When you test less. You get less cases.

magic isnt it. But shure, keep telling yourself that because restaurants are closed cases are down :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The current data shows it to be mostly down to household clusters and contacts.

is_that_so wrote: »

Yes.

And the data before that showed it was in meat plants.

But hey, experts who were predicting 80,000 + dead Irish from covid back in March are now saying that "they have a fair idea and covid probably spreads in restaurants and pubs"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

It’s bleeding obvious?

That’s a statement delivered with authority and a high degree of confidence

Total boloxoligy though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

It’s bleeding obvious?

That’s a statement delivered with authority and a high degree of confidence

Total boloxoligy though

Its obvious that they're just making **** up at this point to justify the continued lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Police pelted with bottles and other missiles in Birmingham after they tried to break up a rave last night.

It's going to kick off in the next few weeks in Britain, Boris and his tyrant chums will have fun trying to contain the violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

RobitTV wrote: »
    Police pelted with bottles and other missiles in Birmingham after they tried to break up a rave last night.

It's going to kick off in the next few weeks in Britain, Boris and his tyrant chums will have fun trying to contain the violence.

The governments are to blame. We've been locked down nearly the whole year and next year is looking to be a rinse and repeat of this year. Despite a vaccine on its way. Maybe the Governments should get over their tyrant and lockdown fetish and figure out how to beat this virus without constantly robbing us of our freedoms. People were bound to go crazy at some point.

Tell me how a vaccine stops our ICUs being full up in January February or March?

Because that's what happens without lockdowns, and without ICUs people start dying of stupid **** that no one should ever die of in the 20th century, this has been clear since March, how do this tiny but very loud minority not get that

It'll be 2 years before enough people are vaccinated to have herd immunity, and that's assuming the loons don't convince lots of people not to get vaccinated, they are already working on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

is_that_so wrote: »

Potential spreader units with no masks on in their houses driving cases through the roof. Incredibly selfish, not team players. Asking the public to wear masks during Christmas dinner won’t cut the mustard. It’s just me and my cat Comrade Yagoda in the house so the only time I need to put a mask on in here is when there is a stray nugget behind the sofa or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,862 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Tell me how a vaccine stops our ICUs being full up in January February or March?

Because that's what happens without lockdowns, and without ICUs people start dying of stupid **** that no one should ever die of in the 20th century, this has been clear since March, how do this tiny but very loud minority not get that

It'll be 2 years before enough people are vaccinated to have herd immunity, and that's assuming the loons don't convince lots of people not to get vaccinated, they are already working on that.

If you're proposing we lock down for another 2 years, you have no remit to call anyone a loon.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭growleaves

Two years for vaccination is the longest estimate I have seen anywhere

To answer your first point, 86 year olds and 87 year olds die because man is mortal.

Many do not survive ICU.

There are limits to how much we can cheat death and prolong biological lifespan. If you can't handle that you should think about becoming religious and I'm not joking or being facetious when I say that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement