Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,539 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Only really strict in quarantine which is where it matters, most restrictions are at L1 caution level.

NSW has been 60%-80% normality since end of May.. and would be over 90% normal now.

You are now allowed 50 people in your house, 30 in your apartment, Pubs and restaurants 1 person 2m2 indoor and outdoor. 300 at xmas parties, weddings etc. SD is 1.5m and masks were only advised.

Melbourne faired a lot worse than Sydney and Brisbane because their winters are shyte and more European, Sydney had cruise ships of people land and was still able to handle only 1900 cases of community transmission compared to 19,000 in Melbourne.

Nonsense, both countries have their borders closed except for a few circumstances and even at that mandatory government quarantine is required, internally they have had some of harshest and longest lockdowns on the planet.

To suggest there is no instances of the virus in NZ because it is summer and not their Covid Zero policy is pretty hilarious.

What Cruise ships landed in Sydney?
    Since 27 March 2020, no foreign-flagged cruise ships may enter Australian waters (with limited exceptions). The cruise ship ban is in place until 17 December 2020, but this does not mean the ban will be lifted at that time. The Australian Health Principal Protection Committee reviews the ban regularly.

Anyway, it's not my opinion, Covid 19 is not seasonal yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Boggles wrote: »
    Nonsense, both countries have their borders closed except for a few circumstances and even at that mandatory government quarantine is required, internally they have had some of harshest and longest lockdowns on the planet.

To suggest there is no instances of the virus in NZ because it is summer and not their Covid Zero policy is pretty hilarious.

If it’s not a seasonal infection how do you explain Ireland’s minimal cases through our own summer just gone?
    We were getting 3-5 cases per day in July and August.

Any ideas ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

You mean this one?

NINTCHDBPICT000621974143.jpg

She looks well for 78, details of her arrest and charge haven't been released AFAIK, you would imagine a sitting MP would check these things out before trying to get social media likes.

Paper speculates she is an anti vax loon.

The media paints everybody who attends anti lockdown protests as some anti vax 5G lunatic tbf. 78 year old women aren’t usually the aggressive ones at protests and she certainly didn’t fight back, is it a case of the police going for an easy target? I dunno, but the bigger picture here is the UK making protesting illegal. What sort of democracy is that? Whether you agree with anti lockdown protests or not, banning them outright is a slippery slope. I can’t imagine the outrage had they banned protests during the BLM ones.

dalyboy wrote: »
    If it’s not a seasonal infection how do you explain Ireland’s minimal cases through our own summer just gone?

Any ideas ?

Ahh. Is this a serious question?

Do you think the timing of suppression and reopening may have anything to do it?

Also you must have been living in a different August in Ireland.

The media paints everybody who attends anti lockdown protests as some anti vax 5G lunatic tbf. 78 year old women aren’t usually the aggressive ones at protests and she certainly didn’t fight back, is it a case of the police going for an easy target? I dunno, but the bigger picture here is the UK making protesting illegal. What sort of democracy is that? Whether you agree with anti lockdown protests or not, banning them outright is a slippery slope. I can’t imagine the outrage had they banned protests during the BLM ones.

I doubt she is 78 and again, much like like that dribbler soap boxing in parliament, we have no idea what she was arrested for or charged with if indeed she was charged.

The only thing we know is, she resisted arrest by playing the old go limp card.

I have yet to see that tactic absolve anyone from arrest.

Now I can understand strangers on the internet feigning outrage, but a member of parliament should certainly seek the facts before putting anything on record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Of course protests won’t be made illegal going forward but if there is going to be social justice criteria will have to be met before they are allowed to go ahead obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Like I said above strict in quarantine wasn't arguing that borders were open, I live in Sydney and it has been very relaxed since the end of May. Schools never closed here just had 4 weeks Easter holidays rather than 2, there was no real lockdown either just some places were closed like Cinemas, Gyms, Pubs but all shops were open and you were allowed out of your house etc and start of June everything opened up. Been nearly normal since July.

+40C degree temperatures has only been recent, I'm talking about mild winter in Sydney and Brisbane compared to Melbourne rather than summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Get Real

Some reports say she's 78 while others 72. She looks neither of those ages. But she could be genetically lucky.

Secondly, you can see she just chose to go limp with her legs. A complete pr stunt. I'm sure the same legs she used to get to the protest, could have been used to move 2 metres.

Highly doubt they just jumped on her and bundled her up. Of course, her stunt worked. But we must ask, what was she arrested for and the events proceeding the photos being taken.

Also, I don't know of an outright ban on protests in the UK? I know of protests that comply with the law, and those that don't. Protest isn't a blanket word for "we have a right to protest, therefore anything we do during said protest is exempt from law"

Any ideas ?

Cases were rising at a fairly stable rate from the end of June until the 20th of October. There was no seasonal surge, just 5 becoming 10 becoming 20 becoming 40 etc etc etc. And to add to that, cases have been falling at almost as fast of a pace as they did in April and May, even though it is now winter and restrictions aren't near as tight

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭darconio

When they “begin” ? .. same place we are now. In and out of lock down.

Once the elderly and vulnerable are vaccinated (probably May/June) and the hospital numbers / deaths are non-existent they’ll have zero hope of continued threats of lockdown.

There will be neither the money (pup) nor public support for any more sh1t at that point.

I’d imagine there will be fragments of lockdown mania still existing by then and they’ll be shouting to have under 50 yr olds vaccinated over the next couple of years but I’m hoping they’ll be viewed in the same light as we view clowns and jesters once all “danger” is behind us

You overestimate the average Joe. The majority will wait religiously to be told what to do by Rte and Tony, that, by the looks of it, won't let it go so easily.
    Let's not forget that any level of restriction is still a restriction, mask wearing and mandatory vaccination are here to stay and, I hope I'm wrong, will be part of our lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Tried to show my American friend a short video on Galway because she's planning for holidays in the next few years.

Searched "Spanish Arch" and the first thing that came up is that condemning RTÉ clip of the people drinking there. Very annoying.

they were discussing the comments from a Cork barrister this morning on Newstalk as to how the idea of mandatory vaccination could be carried out in principle. Just the idea of such a discussion which may gather traction, is scary to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,327 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Cases were rising at a fairly stable rate from the end of June until the 20th of October. There was no seasonal surge, just 5 becoming 10 becoming 20 becoming 40 etc etc etc. And to add to that, cases have been falling at almost as fast of a pace as they did in April and May, even though it is now winter and restrictions aren't near as tight

There rising since the mandatory masks came in it's obvious from the graphs, sanitizing, distancing and common sense died a death from that moment on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Any ideas ?

Schools opened end of August, 2 weeks later 14 day average was up 20%. Kept on climbing after that.

But that's just a huge coincidence. It was all the pubs.

There rising since the mandatory masks came in it's obvious from the graphs, sanitizing, distancing and common sense died a death from that moment on.

Stating something as a fact doesn't make it so. Mandatory masks cams in in Mid August when we were back pushing 100 cases a day and more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,327 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Stating something as a fact doesn't make it so. Mandatory masks cams in in Mid August when we were back pushing 100 cases a day and more

The numbers starterd to rise 14 days after the introduction.
    I deal with the general public and I can tell you for a fact that distancing, hand sanitizing and common since have slipped since their introduction.
    If they were so effective why aren't they having any impact. If they worked we'd be told stay at home for 14 days we all wear one for that period then the virus is dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,266 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

rusty cole wrote: »
    they were discussing the comments from a Cork barrister this morning on Newstalk as to how the idea of mandatory vaccination could be carried out in principle. Just the idea of such a discussion which may gather traction, is scary to me

It won’t be mandatory but I reckon if you want to do things like travel internationally or attend something in croker you’ll have to show proof of vaccination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭dalyboy

MadYaker wrote: »
    It won’t be mandatory but I reckon if you want to do things like travel internationally or attend something in croker you’ll have to show proof of vaccination.

I wonder what will happen with the immune deficient people who are unable to be vaccinated on health grounds.

They’ll be complete lepers until we achieve “herd immunity” all the while the vaccinated elderly are out enjoying unrestricted lives attending croker and off on international cruises etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

MadYaker wrote: »

Not mandatory but "highly recommended"

The numbers starterd to rise 14 days after the introduction.
    I deal with the general public and I can tell you for a fact that distancing, hand sanitizing and common since have slipped since their introduction.
    If they were so effective why aren't they having any impact. If they worked we'd be told stay at home for 14 days we all wear one for that period then the virus is dead.

The rate of change in cases was stable from when we reopened in late June until the impacts of level 3 restrictions. It only looks like it increased when you look at it with a linear mindset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,927 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Not mandatory but "highly recommended"

Or like the Public Services Card.. Not "mandatory" but unable to access services without it.

Coercion without the honesty.

Personally I don't really care either way. I am not worried about contracting something that is overwhelmingly likely to pose no risk to me. I don't have elderly parents or grandparents to care for, and I live alone, WFH, and go nowhere (in part because of others fears) so am no risk to anyone.

If a vaccine will allow me to get on with my life and put this nonsense behind me I'll probably just take it - so long as it actually means that I don't have to bother with face coverings, travel restrictions and all the other stuff that's been imposed.

And yes, it IS a worrying development that this is likely the approach that'll be taken. It's amazing how easily some have given up their rights and freedoms and are actually cheerleading the notion of earning or buying it back now.

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Tried to show my American friend a short video on Galway because she's planning for holidays in the next few years.

Searched "Spanish Arch" and the first thing that came up is that condemning RTÉ clip of the people drinking there. Very annoying.

I just did a search of 'America'.

First video is that absolute fúcktard John Voight warning America they are in great danger.

Luckily I don't judge any place by one video.

I just did a search of 'America'.

First video is that absolute fúcktard John Voight warning America they are in great danger.

Luckily I don't judge any place by one video.

The video is a stain. People with phones recording scenes in the hopes of getting internet points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Tork

The video is a stain. People with phones recording scenes in the hopes of getting internet points.

No harm in knowing what is going on out there.

The only stain I imagine was in peoples gardens which were being used as toilets according to people living there.

I don't see the outrage over a factually accurate report TBH.

The only stain I imagine was in peoples gardens which were being used as toilets according to people living there.

Really? :eek: jesus that's manky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭treade1

Speaking of stains, the greatest scourge in MSM at the moment are the likes of Professor Anthony Staines, Tom Ryan, Sam MacConkey, Gerry Killeen, Luke O'Neill and their ilk. Most earning in excess of €135,000 scaremongering their captive MSM audiences. They continue advocating for increasingly draconian lockdowns while they cream in their public service salary. And don't get me started on their research grants to study Covid-19 and their links to big pharma.

treade1 wrote: »
    Speaking of stains, the greatest scourge in MSM at the moment are the likes of Professor Anthony Staines, Tom Ryan, Sam MacConkey, Gerry Killeen, Luke O'Neill and their ilk. Most earning in excess of €135,000 scaremongering their captive MSM audiences. They continue advocating for increasingly draconian lockdowns while they cream in their public service salary. And don't get me started on their research grants to study Covid-19 and their links to big pharma.

I don't particularly agree with a lot of what any of them have to say.

But, do you think BigBob55 on your twitter feed is a more reliable source?

Or are you speaking of the online grifters peddling lies in exchange for donations to weak minded individuals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭patnor1011

nope wrong, they aren't full of crap as the models were based on the available data at the time so were not deliberately inaccurate.
    even then, deaths being high without controlling and minimising the spread of the virus still remains accurate.

Nope. This "no deaths because restrictions" is just straw clutching. Most of Africa never implemented any lockdowns or restrictions and despite their nonexistent health system and generally poor health models predicting pandemocalypse utterly failed even there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭patnor1011

MOH wrote: »
    Schools opened end of August, 2 weeks later 14 day average was up 20%. Kept on climbing after that.

But that's just a huge coincidence. It was all the pubs.

Schools argument is outdated.
    Dr. Fauci Finally Confirms That Children Don't Catch Or Transmit COVID-19 In Large Numbers.

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/stacey-lennox/2020/11/29/dr-fauci-finally-confirms-children-dont-really-catch-or-transmit-covid-19-n1180045

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement