Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,539 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Can’t get haircuts for almost 2 months in Ireland

Europe’s strictest nation has been under the restricted measures the longest

What a bizarre year it’s been, that people are welcoming living in a police state.

Our democracy is forever damaged unfortunately

Jesus, you went to 11 on the hyperbole didn't you?

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Has it been bombardment via media relentlessly for 7 months without respite, even during Summer?

NPHET allowed Irish citizens to get a haircut 2 months after Greece allowed its citizens similar reprieve

You are right on that. Summer was an open for all and people relaxed, but it helps that everything can be done outdoors, due to the excellent weather. New cases have started going up very quickly from the beginning of October, where people started gathering in indoors settings
    The difference is that Greece enforces stricter lockdowns. There were 2 level 5 equivalent lockdowns, one back in March-May for 7 weeks and one currently on-going. But it is enforced very strictly. One can only go out for very specific reasons and needs either an SMS approval or carry around a hand written form with the reason you are out - if police stops you and you are out for an unnecessary reason, on the spot fine - and the police is more present and active compared to here. With the current lockdown, masks are mandatory in all indoors and outdoors settings, no exceptions. Lockdown on week 4 at the moment and new cases have gone down, but it has already passed to older people so lots of deaths and ICUs at full capacity, so now they are talking about extending it until the 14th or 21st of December. I plan to go home for a few weeks to spend Christmas with my family and I pretty much know that I won't see anyone else other than my immediate family. But come January I will come back because Greece will also go to another lockdown and frankly I'd rather be here alone and have the option to go out for a walk around my estate a few times a day, instead of being in a Greek lockdown where you are officially allowed very few things and it's a bit easier to get caught.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

Boggles wrote: »
    Greece have extended their restrictions and have a curfew.

ICU beds at capacity in some regions.

Schools and all non essential business closed.

Averaging 100 deaths a day.

I think all Irish people would gladly forgo a couple of months of hair dressers not to be in that situation.

How is there any correlation between hairdressers and covid deaths? Utterly ridiculous guff.

How is there any correlation between hairdressers and covid deaths? Utterly ridiculous guff.

I didn't bring up hairdressers.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    You are right on that. Summer was an open for all and people relaxed, but it helps that everything can be done outdoors, due to the excellent weather. New cases have started going up very quickly from the beginning of October, where people started gathering in indoors settings
    The difference is that Greece enforces stricter lockdowns. There were 2 level 5 equivalent lockdowns, one back in March-May for 7 weeks and one currently on-going. But it is enforced very strictly. One can only go out for very specific reasons and needs either an SMS approval or carry around a hand written form with the reason you are out - if police stops you and you are out for an unnecessary reason, on the spot fine - and the police is more present and active compared to here. With the current lockdown, masks are mandatory in all indoors and outdoors settings, no exceptions. Lockdown on week 4 at the moment and new cases have gone down, but it has already passed to older people so lots of deaths and ICUs at full capacity, so now they are talking about extending it until the 14th or 21st of December. I plan to go home for a few weeks to spend Christmas with my family and I pretty much know that I won't see anyone else other than my immediate family. But come January I will come back because Greece will also go to another lockdown and frankly I'd rather be here alone and have the option to go out for a walk around my estate a few times a day, instead of being in a Greek lockdown where you are officially allowed very few things and it's a bit easier to get caught.

Cannot be true. Ireland is the most repressive country in Europe

• Advertisement

I think all Irish people would gladly forgo a couple of months of hair dressers not to be in that situation.

I know you only bring hairdressers as an example, frankly though I'm not convinced that retail really contributes that much to the spread. But it's impossible to know because the tracing system is in shambles.
    My theory is that public transport operating in full capacity even with masks wearing doesn't help at all. And another factor would be churches: the government didn't want to upset the Greek Orthodox Church, so since May they have been allowed to operate as normal, including mass without real attendance limits - and more importantly allowing Holy Communion which with the way we do it in Greece, it is a number 1 hazard for transmission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Is the lockdown a blanket application across all of Greece or just the urban areas?

I know you only bring hairdressers as an example, frankly though I'm not convinced that retail really contributes that much to the spread. But it's impossible to know because the tracing system is in shambles.
    My theory is that public transport operating in full capacity even with masks wearing doesn't help at all. And another factor would be churches: the government didn't want to upset the Greek Orthodox Church, so since May they have been allowed to operate as normal, including mass without real attendance limits - and more importantly allowing Holy Communion which with the way we do it in Greece, it is a number 1 hazard for transmission.

Are funerals and weddings allowed?

Cannot be true. Ireland is the most repressive country in Europe

I guess is the length that creates fatigue, we are at month number 9 now and there was only a 2 month break in August/September.
    I will be honest: I have followed the restrictions almost to a T (I broke the inter county restrictions 3 times, 2 of them though were for medical reasons). But if there is another lockdown in January I know that I will find it even harder - for me the worst is the whole 5k/20k/stay in your county thing, because even if I were to create a bubble with my best friend (I live on my own) he is in Dublin and I am in Meath. But I reckon we might chance a couple of meetings anyway - not ideal I know. . .

Is the lockdown a blanket application across all of Greece or just the urban areas?

everywhere. The whole country is deep in red with Northern Greece being hit really really badly - I think one of the main hospitals in Thessaloniki (the second largest Greek city) has already reached ICU capacity and if they can't divert people elsewhere they have to choose who gets an ICU bed and naturally they are in panic mode
    Are funerals and weddings allowed?

I think they are but with a limit on attendance - not sure what the limit is, I can find it out if you are interested :)

• Advertisement

I guess is the length that creates fatigue, we are at month number 9 now and there was only a 2 month break in August/September.
    I will be honest: I have followed the restrictions almost to a T (I broke the inter county restrictions 3 times, 2 of them though were for medical reasons). But if there is another lockdown in January I know that I will find it even harder - for me the worst is the whole 5k/20k/stay in your county thing, because even if I were to create a bubble with my best friend (I live on my own) he is in Dublin and I am in Meath. But I reckon we might chance a couple of meetings anyway - not ideal I know. . .

If two of the times you left your country were fro medical reasons you only broke restrictions once.

I left my county 4 times in the last 6 weeks and each of them adhered to the spirit of the restrictions

I left my county 4 times in the last 6 weeks and each of them adhered to the spirit of the restrictions

Translation:

I make up my own rules whilst pontificating upon everyone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,870 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Bit of buzz around with places back open. Ques for the Hairdressers/barbers out the door

Really need to avoid a lockdown in January, its a balls of a month as it is and then adding a full lockdown. Keep places open

But we have to get 'the return of NPHET with Level 5 part 3'

Translation:

I make up my own rules whilst pontificating upon everyone else

Find an example of me pontificating?

I am challenging the nonsense posted here, but not commenting on what anyone says they have done themselves.

But seen as you seem to be an expert on what I do and think, they were actually to call to my over 70 year old mother who lives alone. I am not sure was that adhering to the letter of the restrictions but may well do as she had no other visitors, but it was definitely adhering to the spirit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Bit of buzz around with places back open. Ques for the Hairdressers/barbers out the door

Really need to avoid a lockdown in January, its a balls of a month as it is and then adding a full lockdown. Keep places open

But we have to get 'the return of NPHET with Level 5 part 3'

Has lockdown in january not been essentially already flagged in reality?

I am not sure was that adhering to the letter of the restrictions but may well do as she had no other visitors, but it was definitely adhering to the spirit

"The Police State" allowed it.
    Support bubbles are designed to help you if you live on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

so I'm not going to weep with gratitude for the scraps we're being thrown

This is the sad reality. The Govt really does believe that we should be throwing ourselves at their feet in gratitude for giving us a couple of weeks of freedom and letting businesses open and workers work for atleast two weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,926 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I didn't bring up hairdressers.

:confused:

Edited to add - either way, Greece is not Ireland. If we hadn't had the scandal of the nursing homes in the early stages, we'd have half the current deaths. Plus even with the country effectively reopened (pubs aside) in the summer there were a handful of deaths and cases.

Even now, with a surge in cases in the last 6-8 weeks, we STILL have a handful of deaths per week and ICU cases

What does that tell you?

"The Police State" allowed it.

I figured them same. Some do suggest it applies within the distance restrictions but I don't read it that way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

This horse**** again, it was Belgium last week, France before that, Italy another week all on the bring of collapse and people dying on the streets but it never happens, they cope and the attention moves to the next country that is 2 weeks away from collapse.

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »
    This horse**** again, it was Belgium last week, France before that, Italy another week all on the bring of collapse and people dying on the streets but it never happens, they cope and the attention moves to the next country that is 2 weeks away from collapse.

Everything is rosy in Belgium now they are only average 130 deaths a day and currently with more restrictions than us

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Fantastic!

RobitTV wrote: »
    Fantastic!

Great to see the restrictions thread and the fringe of the Conservative party aligning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Everything is rosy in Belgium now they are only average 130 deaths a day and currently with more restrictions than us

It was over 200 two weeks ago, did the hospital system collapse though as predicted which much lesser restrictions than our level 5.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    :confused:

It's not confusing. I was responding to a gentleman who claimed we were living in a police state because he couldn't get his hair cut for a number of weeks.

Yes. Belgium, Italy and France are doing superb.

Would you like if we were doing "as well" as them?

I figured them same. Some do suggest it applies within the distance restrictions but I don't read it that way

No. You broke no restrictions.

Phew, no more accusations of pontification. :)
    Wherever possible, you should choose a household in your locality to form your support bubble, but you can form a support bubble with a household outside the 5 kilometre limit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,926 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Great to see the restrictions thread and the fringe of the Conservative party aligning

Is he wrong? Do you not see anything wrong with "pushing" people to get a vaccine if they want to be able to go to x or do y, or excluding them if they don't?

And let's again consider the real, observed impact of this virus on Ireland in terms of deaths and serious outcomes. On a scale of 5 million people and over a period of 9 months it's been actually very low (thankfully!) and was so even before we had mandatory masks and despite the country being almost entirely reopened in the summer months.

Do you dispute those statements?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Ah yes, Desmond Swayne, an MP who has been re-elected with a majority of 24,403 (63%) by his constituents in New Forest West. And has been the local representative for 23 years.

I'm sure his 24,403 voters in New Forest West agree with his alleged 'fringe' views

• Advertisement

It was over 200 two weeks ago, did the hospital system collapse though as predicted which much lesser restrictions than our level 5.

were the restrictions lesser than here though?
    I know from friends that masks outdoors was implemented 2 or 3 months ago.
    As for the hospitals, I am open to correction but they did reach very close to the limit - to the point that medical staff that were positive but asymptomatic were asked to work and support the system.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement