Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Penfailed wrote: »
    He didn't say his views were 'fringe' though.

He said the Tory MP was a fringe backbencher, that is a matter of opinion. He is entitled to hold that opinion.

I don't think his views are fringe amongst the general public. But that is my opinion and I am entitled to share that view.

pjohnson wrote: »
    No just amusing how again you guys forget how to practice what you preach. It really didn't take long this time must be a record.

If you want Sir Desmond Swayne to be adressed by his title "Sir" then its odd you mistitle Boris Johnson "Comrade".

I don't want or demand that Sir Desmond Swayne be addressed that way :pac: where have you got that idea from? I am not suggesting or even demanding people use sir.

People are free to say what they think. I have now repeated this multiple times.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭darconio

Paddygreen wrote: »
    Have the Death numbers been called out yet guys? I have two score and ten on with a chum that it will be an even number tonight.

18 dead today
    Must be the effect of penneys opening their gates no other explanation
    Quick, let's lock down everything before it's too late, bloody granny killers not even wearing their masks outside, and the street was jammed :pac:

Large rebellion on the Conservative benches tonight, 73 Tory MPs rebelled against Boris Johnson (some abstained). Easily the biggest rebellion since the votes on the Brexit deal under Theresa May's leadership.

16 Labour MPs rebelled and voted with the Tory rebels.

Drama too as Boris Johnson stood begging at 'Aye Lobby' for Tory MPs to vote with the Government.

Is he losing his grip on the Conservative Party?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 pythonfoot

In level 3 are hotels still only open for essential workers ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

darconio wrote: »
    18 dead today
    Quick, let's lock down everything before it's too late, bloody granny killers not even wearing their masks outside, and the street was jammed :pac:

Who knows maybe the government, NPHET and the HSE will finally get their own house in order and stop outbreaks from constantly occuring in care homes and hospitals before blaming the public immediately. Dare to dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,539 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

RobitTV wrote: »
    Large rebellion on the Conservative benches tonight, 73 Tory MPs rebelled against Boris Johnson (some abstained). Easily the biggest rebellion since the votes on the Brexit deal under Theresa May's leadership.

16 Labour MPs rebelled and voted with the Tory rebels.

Drama too as Boris Johnson stood begging at 'Aye Lobby' for Tory MPs to vote with the Government.

Is he losing his grip on the Conservative Party?
    The system was approved by 291 votes to 78, a majority of 213

Tight one all right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,090 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Boggles wrote: »
    Tight one all right.

Doesnt get much tighter.

Most of the Labour MPs abstained with other parties. Including the Labour leader Keir Starmer.

There are 650 MPs in the Parliament. only 371 voted.

Only 45% of Parliament voted in favour of this plan (291)

Such a roaring endorsement, I agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,926 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

18 dead today

RIP to those who died - however I fully expect that it'll emerge a lot of those are from weeks or months ago, or the numbers were miscalculated or something.

Day 1 of the reopening that Tony and NPHET opposed and we have a large "daily" number? Coincidence I'm sure.... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,090 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Most of the Labour MPs abstained with other parties. Including the Labour leader Keir Starmer.

There are 650 MPs in the Parliament. only 371 voted.

Only 45% of Parliament voted in favour of this plan (291)
    Abstention isnt much of a rebellion. Rebellion would be to actually vote against it.

But instead all talk and bluster and when it came down to it? Nothing.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Abstention isnt much of a rebellion. Rebellion would be to actually vote against it.

But instead all talk and bluster and when it came down to it? Nothing.

Keir Starmer is in a tough place. The Conservative benches had a significant rebellion, but Labour chose to abstain. Not sure what is the best outcome for them these days. Not much of a 'opposition' at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    RIP to those who died - however I fully expect that it'll emerge a lot of those are from weeks or months ago, or the numbers were miscalculated or something.

Day 1 of the reopening that Tony and NPHET opposed and we have a large "daily" number? Coincidence I'm sure.... :rolleyes:

15 from November, 2 from October, 2 under investigation. nothing new here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,539 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Of the 18 deaths reported today, one death occurred in October, 15 deaths occurred in November and two are under investigation.

The Department of Health said that in the case of the deaths under investigation, the date of death is to be confirmed

Nope.
    The Health Protection Surveillance Centre has today been notified of 18 additional deaths related to COVID-19

The former Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn said he voted against the government’s coronavirus restrictions.

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1333861812673138692

I suppose Jeremy Corbyn since he has such a history of being a true patriotic right wing conservative, he will be next in line for being called a 'right-wing nut' - 'conservative populist' - 'anti-vax' - 'fringe conservative'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

copeyhagen wrote: »

And 2 denotified just for the craic, Can't take these numbers seriously anymore.

https://twitter.com/roinnslainte/status/1333839589304307712

Must have been crushed in the queues.
    Those deaths are associated with covid as if it wasn't for covid, Pennies wouldn't have been closed in the first place causing the crush today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

copeyhagen wrote: »

2 under investigation?

I hope they aren’t underground if confusion exists as to whether they are dead or not

2 under investigation?

I’m hope they aren’t underground if confusion exists as to whether they are dead or not

Not sure if they are dead or not
    Not sure when they died.
    Not sure if they had covid or not.

Feck it announce them anyway (and denotify 2 the same day).
    Pure rubbish.

• Advertisement

I hope all the users on here who are ready to bash Sir Desmond Swayne, are ready to make themselves available to talk to the voters of New Forest West who share a different opinion. Democracy in action.

ELoodydW4AUuk_P.jpg

Like anyone but the Conservative candidate would ever get elected in a constituency like new forest west. Even Adolf Hitler would stand a chance as long as he were on the Tory ticket. You do understand that in the majority of England the individual candidate has no bearing on election performance?

And 2 denotified just for the craic, Can't take these numbers seriously anymore.

https://twitter.com/roinnslainte/status/1333839589304307712

You do understand how denotifications happen don’t you? The coroner rules on final cause of death improving the accuracy of the numbers

Like anyone but the Conservative candidate would ever get elected in a constituency like new forest west. Even Adolf Hitler would stand a chance as long as he were on the Tory ticket. You do understand that in the majority of England the individual candidate has no bearing on election performance?

'Even Adolf Hitler would stand a chance as long as he were on the Tory ticket'

Wow, are you trying to say something else here? so much for civility :pac: the voters of New Forest West will be over the moon about that remark. I'm sure a WW2 Nazi dictator who had tried to invade the United Kingdom would win easily :rolleyes:

Don't tell us ...*drum roll* ... Torys = Nazis

Come on man, you can tell us.

'Even Adolf Hitler would stand a chance as long as he were on the Tory ticket'

Wow, are you trying to say something else here? so much for civility :pac: the voters of New Forest West will be over the moon about that remark. I'm sure a WW2 Nazi dictator who had tried to invade the United Kingdom would win easily :rolleyes:

Don't tell us ...*drum roll* ... Torys = Nazis

Come on man, you can tell us.

Way to spectacularly miss the point. English voters vote for the party irrespective of the candidate. I could just have easily said Joseph Stalin would have gotten elected for the Tories in New Forest West if it upsets your sensibilities that much

Way to spectacularly miss the point. English voters vote for the party irrespective of the candidate. I could just have easily said Joseph Stalin would have gotten elected for the Tories in New Forest West if it upsets your sensibilities that much

You should stand as the candidate for the Conservative Party in New Forest West when Sir Desmond Swayne retires.

We will have to make sure those remarks are screenshotted for the local constituents to view when you run. You will go down a treat trust me! :pac:

So Stalin is a better example / comparison somehow? my goodness gracious, my sensibilities have been truly restored after that bombshell :pac:

You should stand as the candidate for the Conservative Party in New Forest West when Sir Desmond Swayne retires.

We will have to make sure those remarks are screenshotted for the local constituents to view when you run. You will go down a treat trust me! :pac:

So Stalin is a better example / comparison somehow? my goodness my sensibilities have been truly restored after that bombshell :pac:

Well they certainly wouldn’t vote for the Lib Dem or god forbid, Labour candidate. You do understand how the British system operates don’t you? The bold Desmond hunted around the country looking for a constituency that would have him. Striking out in the no hope constituency of Pontypridd, moving on to the more marginal West Bromwich West before being rewarded for his loyalty to the party with the safe New Forest West. The Tory candidate is never going to lose such a seat so can express whatever fringe positions he wishes safe in the knowledge that his seat will never come under threat.

Well they certainly wouldn’t vote for the Lib Dem or god forbid, Labour candidate. You do understand how the British system operates don’t you? The bold Desmond hunted around the country looking for a constituency that would have him. Striking out in the no hope constituency of Pontypridd, moving on to the more marginal West Bromwich West before being rewarded for his loyalty to the party with the safe New Forest West. The Tory candidate is never going to lose such a seat so can express whatever fringe positions he wishes safe in the knowledge that his seat will never come under threat.

In the 1997 Conservative Party leadership election, Swayne supported Michael Howard, and later John Redwood.

Since New Forest West was only created as a constituency in 1997 and he supported two losing right-wing candidates for the leadership, I very much doubt he would of been rewarded for his loyalty to the party. He possibly got lucky since this was a redrawn and renamed constituency and the previous MP retired. (And Swayne was only 40 at the time) looking for younger blood?

Back at that time, John Redwood would of been considered a more fringe right-winger, at a time when the party was more centre-right leaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Not sure if they are dead or not
    Not sure when they died.
    Not sure if they had covid or not.

Feck it announce them anyway (and denotify 2 the same day).
    Pure rubbish.

I agree absolutely scandalous carry on- they know damn well if they died or not “with” Covid or not- how the hell could there be so many de-notifications? This is pretty basic stuff- why announce “deaths” of something and then go back and say it wasn’t that

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    I agree absolutely scandalous carry on- they know damn well if they died or not “with” Covid or not- how the hell could there be so many de-notifications? This is pretty basic stuff- why announce “deaths” of something and then go back and say it wasn’t that

It’s the system working. That the thread fails to understand this is what I find most unusual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

It’s the system working. That the thread fails to understand this is what I find most unusual

The consistent excuses and justification of mediocrity (from NPHET and government) by a significant number of posters 10 months on is baffling to me.

The system only works when we sit at home in our pyjamas flushing 70 million a day down the toilet because we are all sitting at home

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement