Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

The consistent excuses and justification of mediocrity (from NPHET and government) by a significant number of posters 10 months on is baffling to me.

The system only works when we sit at home in our pyjamas flushing 70 million a day down the toilet because we are all sitting at home

2 people die who tested positive for Covid. One had pneumonia, pretty clear, the other didn’t. All they can say at time of death is this person had tested positive. This is reported as a Covid death pending coroners review as they must given it is a notifiable disease. Subsequently coroner identifies that Covid was not a factor in the death and issues death certificate. Case is denotified. I fail to see what so many seem to find so difficult to understand

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Ice Albatross

It’s the system working. That the thread fails to understand this is what I find most unusual

I don't think anyone doesn't understand that is how the system is working..more that it makes the system itself seem like a load of ****e

I don't think anyone doesn't understand that is how the system is working..more that it makes the system itself seem like a load of ****e

Would it be preferable that we bypassed standard notifiable disease reporting requirements and waited for coroners report on each individual case just so a few people don’t have to get a bit bothered by the odd denotificantion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

2 people die who tested positive for Covid. One had pneumonia, pretty clear, the other didn’t. All they can say at time of death is this person had tested positive. This is reported as a Covid death pending coroners review as they must given it is a notifiable disease. Subsequently coroner identifies that Covid was not a factor in the death and issues death certificate. Case is denotified. I fail to see what so many seem to find so difficult to understand

How can you announce 2 Covid deaths today whose date is ‘under investigation’.
    WTF is that about?

WTF is that about?

Probably because they were notified about the cases but along the was there was a clerical issue or something where the date was unclear, but they were notified nonetheless therefore have to be counted. That’s what people don’t get. It’s anotifiable disease, once notified the HSPC are required to report. They can then clear up afterwards, but their purpose is not to satisfy a small number of malcontents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

WTF is that about?

Because “that’s the system” and Tony said so- anyone that questions such obvious logic is wrong- Covid commandment No 7

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    Because “that’s the system” and Tony said so- anyone that questions such obvious logic is wrong- Covid commandment No 7

It’s the HSPC system and no amount of teeth gnashing, pointless frothing or tilting at windmills changes that

The consistent excuses and justification of mediocrity (from NPHET and government) by a significant number of posters 10 months on is baffling to me.

The system only works when we sit at home in our pyjamas flushing 70 million a day down the toilet because we are all sitting at home

Covid trumps all logic or rational thinking- about the only Nphet “achievement” since March we can actually see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

pjohnson wrote: »
    Doesnt get much tighter.

i know, i couldn't believe how tight it was.
    1 vote, 1 vote. who'd have thought it.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Ice Albatross

In fairness it's the WHO system that they are following, which is flawed. I don't doubt that the HSE implementation of it is any help, and presume that the line would be to heavily err on the side of caution, that if Covid could have in any way plausibly have contributed to the death, it will be notified as a Covid death even when the coroner's report comes back

Take the following example, a lung cancer patient is given two months to live. Two months later they are admitted to hospital and they test positive for Covid. I would guess that even when that death goes through the coroner, that it is counted as a Covid death.

Seeing as we are locking down the country seemingly due to lack of ICU capacity and beds, I would be more interested in people who were being treated specifically for Covid and died, as a barometer for going into lockdown or not. The other numbers can be given to the WHO if they want them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

RobitTV wrote: »
    I suppose Jeremy Corbyn since he has such a history of being a true patriotic right wing conservative, he will be next in line for being called a 'right-wing nut' - 'conservative populist' - 'anti-vax' - 'fringe conservative'

Grr that far right troll Jeremy corbyn *shakes fist in an impotent rage*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

thebaz wrote: »
    I know so many people that are consumed by over anxiety , due to the virus , my own mother has aged years from Fear and over anxiety - I have been pushed to the edge of my sanity by lockdown - not earning eneogh to pay rent - real fear of becoming homeless - So yeah, if I was fealing as comfortable and smug as you and the majority I probably wouldn't be looking at alternatives to lockdown.

of course you would, as would i if there were any, given lock down stops me from enjoying some of my hobbies.
    reality is however, there aren't any alternatives, so there would be no point in me wasting my time looking for something that doesn't exist, given i could use that time to do something productive.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

I crossed paths with Piers Corbyn briefly about ten years ago now. Nice man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

The Welsh PM has been barred from over 100 pubs for 18 months because of his alcohol ban. :pac:

[url] https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/mark-drakeford-barred-100-north-19377496[/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/state-to-underwrite-virus-vaccine-firms-to-reassure-patients-as-jab-is-rolled-out-39816668.html

More cost and conditionality ahead of vaccine roll out to the State. By the time we exit this mess, we’ll be up to our eyes in debt. I think it’s absolute madness for the State to have to under-write vaccines developed so fast.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/state-to-underwrite-virus-vaccine-firms-to-reassure-patients-as-jab-is-rolled-out-39816668.html

More cost and conditionality ahead of vaccine roll out to the State. By the time we exit this mess, we’ll be up to our eyes in debt. I think it’s absolute madness for the State to have to under-write vaccines developed so fast.

The vaccines were developed so fast because indemnifying manufacturers allowed them to pump in the resources and keep the cost down.

In the absence of an indemnity we would either have had an incredibly expensive vaccine or no vaccine for at least 6 months to a year. A indemnity such as this would not apply if the developer cut corners or falsified safety data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,326 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Manufacturers won't stand over their product, Government decides to underwrite them instead, sure what could go wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,924 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

McGrath on NT conceding they will have to raise taxes to pay for all this. Him and Pascal will be sitting down in April.

What a surprise! So much for the notion that we'll spend our way out of this and the "recovery" will do the rest.

Next up, 1 in 5 people plan to ignore the rules/guidelines/suggestions (because who knows anymore what's actually enforceable) around meeting up over Christmas. I would say that's a very underestimated figure personally

Manufacturers won't stand over their product, Government decides to underwrite them instead, sure what could go wrong.

Its ok, we know you don't get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

The UK become the first country in the world to approve a Covid vaccine. The Pfizer vaccine could begin to be rolled out in the north in a couple of weeks. Is this the beginning of the end of restrictions?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

The vaccines were developed so fast because indemnifying manufacturers allowed them to pump in the resources and keep the cost down.

In the absence of an indemnity we would either have had an incredibly expensive vaccine or no vaccine for at least 6 months to a year. A indemnity such as this would not apply if the developer cut corners or falsified safety data.

I understand that, but why does the cost have to fall on the taxpayer once again? We’re in far too vulnerable situation with our public finances already. Surely there should be an EU underwriter for these companies.

I understand that, but why does the cost have to fall on the taxpayer once again? We’re in far too vulnerable situation with our public finances already. Surely there should be an EU underwriter for these companies.

Where does the EU get its money? Why should those who benefit from a vaccine not pay for the costs associated?

Also, the risk is small given phase 3 has been successfully completed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭patnor1011

VonLuck wrote: »
    I won't say the 'C' word, but do you honestly believe all the world's governments are working together to pull the wool over all our eyes? Really?!

This is basic flaw in thinking of covid-preachers who scream conspiracy theory at everyone who has a question about this "pandemic".
    You only need small group of wealthy individuals or corporations who can extend pressure on few politicians which depend on their donations or investments. Add campaign of fear and pointing fingers from media.
    This spread in no time and what we see is no real "working together" but copying each other for fear of being singled out. Exactly what happened to everyone who dared to have some questions. On national scale just look at what happened with Sweden - they were basically a pariah state and pretty much browbeaten into compliance.

And most of it based on flawed PCR testing.
    Have a blast and read what some scientists have to say about them.
    https://cormandrostenreview.com/report/

Op-ed based on this paper:
    A global team of experts has found 10 FATAL FLAWS in the main test for Covid and is demanding it’s urgently axed. As they should.
    https://www.rt.com/op-ed/508383-fatal-flaws-covid-test/

Penfailed wrote: »
    The UK become the first country in the world to approve a Covid vaccine. The Pfizer vaccine could begin to be rolled out in the north in a couple of weeks. Is this the beginning of the end of restrictions?

................next week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Op-ed based on this paper:
    A global team of experts has found 10 FATAL FLAWS in the main test for Covid and is demanding it’s urgently axed. As they should.
    https://www.rt.com/op-ed/508383-fatal-flaws-covid-test/
    For instance, one of the authors of the review is Dr Mike Yeadon, who asserts that, in the UK, there is no ‘second wave’ and that the pandemic has been over since June.
    UK records another 13,430 coronavirus cases and 603 deaths

Seems legit.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    McGrath on NT conceding they will have to raise taxes to pay for all this. Him and Pascal will be sitting down in April.

What a surprise! So much for the notion that we'll spend our way out of this and the "recovery" will do the rest.

Next up, 1 in 5 people plan to ignore the rules/guidelines/suggestions (because who knows anymore what's actually enforceable) around meeting up over Christmas. I would say that's a very underestimated figure personally

while I am not in favour of all these extended restrictions and lockdowns etc etc.........I never have been............I think a lot of people will still be careful around Christmas as they will be seeing people they don't usually see. I have been quite relaxed throughout this as I live alone and mix with just one other person from another house..........and a few friends for walks and swimming in the sea.

But for Christmas I am meeting family from other houses (3) and wont be seeing many people in the run up to this as I don't want to miss Christmas by getting Covid before it! I also don't want to possibly bring Covid to anyone else I'm visiting from these houses.

I feel very strongly about the reporting from all media Instead of saying 1 in 5 people will ignore restrictions over Christmas, WHY can't they say 4 out of 5 people will adhere to restrictions?! That way people would feel a bit happier, a bit like they are making a joint effort to get through Christmas and enjoy seeing family, less resentful towards their fellow citizens. I am truly sick to death of RTE and Newstalk now, they seem to have ONE agenda only, to cause upset, distrust and confusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Boggles wrote: »
    Seems legit.

Sure. You seems to not realize that about 1600 people die every day on average in the UK. Generally more die in winter months.
    Some of them die with covid diagnosed by PCR tests which are flawed according to scientists who put out paper you did not bother to read as it goes against all what you believe. Sorry but your belief is exactly what it is. A belief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

the money running out (which won't happen) wouldn't change the direction as the fact remains that without controling the spread of the virus ireland ends up a basket case with an actual crashed economy and health service and all else in the end.
    a protest movement will quite rightly be ignored because no matter what, it will be saw for what it actually is, which is as you described above.

it was covid that put people out of work as it was always going to do eventually. many of them will only be out on a temporary basis.
    we aren't borrowing big in reality, most countries are borrowing anyway at the moment to make up the short fall but servicing those borrowings will be managable.
    increasing ICU capacity isn't simply about beds, it's about the staff as well, and it's not possible to simply transfer staff from other wards, in fact i believe ICU staff may have to have slightly different qualifications to work in that specific line of work.
    hospitals being quite don't negate against the realities, without the vital public health measures in place they wouldn't be quite but would be overloaded which potentially puts the issue on to us all indirectly.

I am glad you think so

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

I’m delighted to finally see some articles yesterday and today about the economic doom ahead.

It’s absolute fantasy to think the economy is bouncing right back in 2021. For starters, we’ll likely spend Q1 in lockdown again.

Starting to see words like Austerity make an appearance now. And “new revenue streams”, which means more taxes for us.

I predict the next few years will be much tougher for us all than 2020. With the benefit of hindsight, we’ll have lots of citizens looking back and wondering whether hiding under the bed was the right thing to do.

• Advertisement

Clearly there’s a ton of people answering those surveys as Covid Saints but then continuing life as normal- because none of them correlate with what I see out and about in terms of traffic and people

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement