Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭growleaves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Vast majority of people know that the mask they wear doesn't protect them! You wear a mask to help protect others(help as in reduce the risk not fully protect!)
    I don't like wearing masks but I do it as I understand why they are looking at anything that helps even a little. Don't understand why this is so hard for some to understand.

I understand clearly.
    My post was regarding people who believe wearing masks help “protect” them from getting infected. There is no evidence anywhere to suggest masks protect the user from infection yet a lot of people have notions that they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Caraibh

Paddygreen wrote: »
    Mandatory masks are here to stay my friend, forever and ever and ever, just in case. I am upgrading to bioVyzr going forward.

Yep. The French Minister for Health confirmed as much the other day when he said that he couldn't say whether they'd have to stay or not post-vaccine. Also, not a single country in the world has introduced masks and got rid of them completely. Not one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,535 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

growleaves wrote: »

There is the gate to Vans house.

Van-Morrison-house.jpg

He should practice what he preaches.

He should practice what he preaches.

???

Are you saying he should open up his private residence to strangers because he preaches that society should be opened up and forced shutdowns brought to an end?

I disagree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Boggles wrote: »
    How can a novel disease where the vast majority of the hosts have no immunity be endemic?

:confused:

No my fault not being clearer we had an epidemic/city of presumed origin... went to epidemic in numerous countries ie iran/italy/parts of asia then went pandemic all around the world.

Then was down graded as a less lethal virus ..
    like its not ebola or sars. Most cases now internaly generated so has become endemic not out if control like a epidemic. Whether or not if it stays endemic depends on... after it has passed through all the naive population do we have lasting immunity or does it become seasonal or will we just have soradic outbreaks.

And yes the science in really the last month is starting to point to that a considerable amount if people dont have 'no immunity' to it. Ie some have very qood immunity or partial immunity or maybe had and have lost that partial immunity with age. Its novel yet it is made up of potential parts of rna in a way that is a new recombanation yet they are from other viruses including coronaviruses etc that our bodies recognise with a new added twist for want of a better word.
    That is.my take on it at the.moment and as always is subject to change on new information here or in new published scientific papers as you might be right and its a bit early to call it either way.

https://intermountainhealthcare.org/blogs/topics/live-well/2020/04/whats-the-difference-between-a-pandemic-an-epidemic-endemic-and-an-outbreak/

535016.JPG

???

Are you saying he should open up his private residence to strangers because he preaches that society should be opened up and forced shutdowns ended?

I disagree.

What I am saying millionaire Van will not be leaving his heavily gated residence to be going out risking sickness to get his provisions, that will be done by other people who will take the risk of getting sick themselves.

But to quote the man himself.
    No more celebrities telling us
    Telling us what wе're supposed to fee
    l

Except for Van obviously.

Van Morrison Sings for the Voiceless
    Van Morrison knows what censorship means even if Internet mobs don’t. He has released three new songs, “No More Lockdown,” “As I Walked Out,” and “Born to Be Free,” that movingly speak against the new autocratic culture that too many people — especially trusted media figures, particularly left-leaning pop artists — accept without flinching.

The hysterical social-media response castigating Morrison’s compassionate new music (a fourth song, “Stand and Deliver,” is promised) only proves his point: We are deep into a second wave of undemocratic submission. It’s taken such a strange turn that Twitter thugs set out to rewrite cultural history, denying Morrison’s expressive genius in songs such as “Gloria,” “Brown-Eyed Girl,” “Domino,” “Moondance,” “Into the Mystic,” and the masterpiece albums Astral Weeks and Irish Heartbeat. The hecklers are trashing his musical legend (“He was never any good!”) merely to explain their own unease. Morrison’s anti-lockdown songs — his freedom songs — disturb their willing obedience to political authority.

What I am saying millionaire Van will not be leaving his heavily gated residence to be going out risking sickness to get his provisions, that will be done by other people who will take the risk of getting sick themselves.

I take that risk for myself, family members and (during 1st lockdown) the people I helped through my work. I don't mind or consider it a hardship. Make the restrictions voluntary and unafraid people can help those who feel that going outside is a risk. Taking away phycial freedom is not balanced or proportionate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Caraibh wrote: »
    Yep. The French Minister for Health confirmed as much the other day when he said that he couldn't say whether they'd have to stay or not post-vaccine. Also, not a single country in the world has introduced masks and got rid of them completely. Not one.

It’s just a burka for your health. It has nothing got to do with imposing Pavlovian social conditioning on a mass scale. As Boris and his chums more or less said recently , life may not go back to anywhere near normal after the vaccines are rolled out after all.

I take that risk for myself, family members and (during 1st lockdown) the people I helped through my work. I don't mind or consider it a hardship. Make the restrictions voluntary and unafraid people can help those who feel that going outside is a risk. Taking away phycial freedom is not balanced or proportionate.

Indeed, Van will take no risk.

He will cocoon in his gated mansion and expect people to take the risks for him, whilst recording lets be honest whatever the message pretty shíté songs.

Personally I think he should go to the states and tour his new songs now.

Venues will take him.

It’s just a burka for your health. It has nothing got to do with imposing Pavlovian social conditioning on a mass scale. As Boris and his chums more or less said recently , life may not go back to anywhere near normal after the vaccines are rolled out after all.

So there's no point in taking the miracle vaccine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Caraibh wrote: »
    Also, not a single country in the world has introduced masks and got rid of them completely. Not one.

Were still in the middle of the crisis so I don't think anyone expected masks to be removed from law/advice just yet, however, many countries have an end date for masks published.

I believe they will be dropped like a hot snot at the first opportunity tho, the reason being that they are a very visible reminder of this, which is a nightmare for many people!! We just wont want to see them anymore and if anything the push to make people wear them only drives more animosity towards them, much like force feeding a child veggies.

Indeed, Van will take no risk.

He will cocoon in his gated mansion and expect people to take the risks for him, whilst recording lets be honest whatever the message pretty shíté songs.

Personally I think he should go to the states and tour his new songs now.

Venues will take him.

The fact that he owns a big house doesn't mean he never leaves it.

You're assuming he is insincere and takes no personal risks. Those are unverifiable assumptions.

I believe he is sincere.

Were still in the middle of the crisis so I don't think anyone expected masks to be removed from law/advice just yet, however, many countries have an end date for masks published.

I believe they will be dropped like a hot snot at the first opportunity tho, the reason being that they are a very visible reminder of this, which is a nightmare for many people!! We just wont want to see them anymore and if anything the push to make people wear them only drives more animosity towards them, much like force feeding a child veggies.

1_Jedwards-Ed-gets-knee-surgery.jpg

How can you look into those vulnerable puppy dog eyes and say you are not down with wearing masks??

Looking forward to the anthology Paddy, I'll be top of the queue as an admirer of your work.

But they can extend that end date as many times as they like. One reads of governors in the US extending the end date by weeks or months. The longer people wear them for the more they become an extension of the face (as is the case in Spain, for example).

I hope you're right about them being dropped, but nothing suggests to me that they will be. It is a nightmare for many people, but not for the vast vast majority. The fact that there are a number of exemptions (including 'severe distress'), and that people wear them anywhere and everywhere regardless, suggests to me that people want to wear them or are still frightened because of Anthony.

Even in the US, where they are apparently an issue, 85% of people say they wear them.

You're assuming he is insincere and takes no personal risks. Those are unverifiable assumptions.

I believe he is sincere.

Well he is famous, if he is down shopping in his local Tesco surely people would be taking pictures.

I'd say it would be fair to assume he hasn't left his gated mansion since March.

Its deliberate misrepresentation which in my book is the same as outright lying. The PCR is not a useful test for determining the level of virus within a host. Why, because the sampling method does not produce a repeatable amount everytime, its not like taking a ml. of blood. But it is a highly specific test. If there is no SARS-CoV-2, it wont find any. Now if you are getting to high Ct levels, over 40, you may get fragments of virus from earlier infection or normally undetectable levels of cross reactivity with related genetic material, and thats where the criticism of the method comes in. We don't however count any case with a Ct over 35 as a positive. We retest. What the test cannot also tell you is if you have just been infected, are infectious or just clear of the virus. What do the critics of the test propose - ignore the test? Just send these people who have virus in their system back out into the world not knowing if the are infectious or not?

None of those proposing these theories can also answer the question as to why 10million tests in Wuhan during mass testing only found 300 asymptomatic positives, or why we were only getting a handful of cases in June with thousands of tests every day. Surely if the test was so bad we would have had loads.

I agree with what you are saying here in general and it actually overlaps with alot of their points but not all. So if what you post actual agrees with alot of the are saying are you both misrepresenting the truth. I dont think you are or they are.
    We were like many other countrys testing too high at 40+ and are still possibly at 35. The two tests for close contacts etc is an improvement, but I really think if you get tested your pcr cycle and level of virus particles should be on the page also and whether you are a hot positive or cold postive and given to you by a health professional that can interperate that for you.
    As I refered to in an earlier post I believe neither experts on either side have a.monopoly on all the truth. I think its a miss representation also on the other side not to state the downsides of pcr testings as a public health tool. I would be in the middle.... use pcr for in hospital/nursing home clinical diagnosis but not as a public health tool... use the best antigen tests. And I see more experts who lambasted the use of antigen tests coming around to them. Some where flatly all out against them ever being used and still are and some wanted them to improve first, which I get.
    No one is saying just send everyone all the time back out at the.moment if you are possibly infectious please see the end of my previous post to boggles. However, if you are non infectious and healthy yes and that is why we need the rapid easy to use antigen tests.

Regarding the last paragraph I think I gave a potential answer in my post to Boggles any insight on those ideas or contradicatory evidence always appreciated. thanks and please do keep up the graph posting as I found yourself one of the people willingly to show the full graphs from the beginning of this event and not picking and choosing parts only to back one viewpoint and willingly to add to them if asked.

• Advertisement

Mandatory masks are here to stay my friend, forever and ever and ever, just in case. I am upgrading to bioVyzr going forward.

Reminds me of a personal version of the boy this song is about a micro zorba?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

I believe he is sincere.

Don't worry arrogance and snobbery and assumptions are boggles currency. He certainly has a high opinion of himself.

Well he is famous, if he is down shopping in his local Tesco surely people would be taking pictures.

I'd say it would be fair to assume he hasn't left his gated mansion since March.

You seem very resentful of Van the man's success boggle. Does it hit a raw nerve?

Don't worry arrogance and snobbery and assumptions are boggles currency. He certainly has a high opinion of himself.
    You seem very resentful of Van the man's success boggle. Does it hit a raw nerve?

No. But clearly a raw nerve was hit there.

You okay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Does anybody know what time last orders is at now?? Is it 11.30??

No. But clearly a raw nerve was hit there.

Well what was the reason for repeated jabs at Van Morrison having a big house and not going to Tesco? He's entitled to his opinion and can voice it. He has the platform to beyond hopping up and down on boards.ie

He's entitled to his opinion and can voice it.

Of course he is I never suggested otherwise.

Surely that goes for my opinion too, correct?

Of course he is I never suggested otherwise.

Surely that goes for my opinion too, correct?

What the opinion that van Morrison is somehow a hypocrite for calling for an end to lockdown because he has a big house with a gate? Scandalous.

What the opinion that van Morrison is somehow a hypocrite for calling for an end to lockdown because he has a big house with a gate? Scandalous.
    No more celebrities telling us
    Telling us what wе're supposed to feel

I don't know what he is TBH, confusing I suppose.

• Advertisement

Sneak peek at one of the outfits in my spring 2021 wardrobe guys...

3265c066e1479c3c764e3658e34ce857.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement