Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

foods for sleep

• 20-11-2020 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

Iam not sure if this is the right place or if there is a right place. Some food or juice is said to be high in melatonin and claims to help sleep. Would it be true to say just because it is high in melatonin it does not necessarily mean the melatonin gets absorbed or cross the blood brain barrier if it needs to for sleep?

Im beginning to think these claims are just marketing. Does anyone know enough to answer this or is there a more specific forum

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Iam not sure if this is the right place or if there is a right place. Some food or juice is said to be high in melatonin and claims to help sleep. Would it be true to say just because it is high in melatonin it does not necessarily mean the melatonin gets absorbed or cross the blood brain barrier if it needs to for sleep?

Im beginning to think these claims are just marketing. Does anyone know enough to answer this or is there a more specific forum

Having had a lot of sleep trouble over the past few years, I've been doing a lot of experimenting on foods prior to bed over the past few months. I've found the following to be most effective:

Bananas
    Kiwis
    Oats
    Kefir
    Greek Yogurt/Quark

There is a lot of scientific reasoning behind choosing these foods for sleep that you will quickly find on Google. Highly recommend experimenting with what works best for you in terms of quantities, timing, preference.

I had tried some of the relaxing teas (Chamomile, sleep blends etc) but I found that I needed to use the bathroom several times during the night after them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

Patsy167 wrote: »
    Having had a lot of sleep trouble over the past few years, I've been doing a lot of experimenting on foods prior to bed over the past few months. I've found the following to be most effective:

Bananas
    Kiwis
    Oats
    Kefir
    Greek Yogurt/Quark

There is a lot of scientific reasoning behind choosing these foods for sleep that you will quickly find on Google. Highly recommend experimenting with what works best for you in terms of quantities, timing, preference.

I had tried some of the relaxing teas (Chamomile, sleep blends etc) but I found that I needed to use the bathroom several times during the night after them.
    I don't know how true it is. do they enter the blood stream justbecause they are there. a pharmacist once told me you can get really good vitamins but if not absorbed they are no good to you. Could the same be true of sleep foods?I don't know

The chamomile/passion flower tea blend its call sleep tea by Twinings helped for a few nights.Everything works for a while. I have not been able to get tart cherry juice yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Cill94

Not sure of how valid the claim of foods impacting melatonin is. It is however available as a supplement:
    https://examine.com/supplements/melatonin/

If you struggle with sleep, it's best to flip the big rocks first: setting a strict bed time and rising time, avoiding screens in the hour before bed, limiting caffeine intake, exercising regularly, etc.

Cill94 wrote: »
    Not sure of how valid the claim of foods impacting melatonin is. It is however available as a supplement:
    https://examine.com/supplements/melatonin/

If you struggle with sleep, it's best to flip the big rocks first: setting a strict bed time and rising time, avoiding screens in the hour before bed, limiting caffeine intake, exercising regularly, etc.
    I read about tyrptophan does not really work in food to increase serotonin, does not cross blood brain barrier

I have this on the computer now https://justgetflux.com/faq.html I am not sure if iam set right, can I have any colour and still be blocking blue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Cill94

I read about tyrptophan does not really work in food to increase serotonin, does not cross blood brain barrier

I have this on the computer now https://justgetflux.com/faq.html I am not sure if iam set right, can I have any colour and still be blocking blue?

I use that too and it helps, but as far as I know it does not fully offset the negative effect on brain chemistry.

• Advertisement

Cill94 wrote: »
    I use that too and it helps, but as far as I know it does not fully offset the negative effect on brain chemistry.
    I have an mp3 by this guy not sure which one. It was great for a while

https://www.hypnosisdownloads.com/sleep-problems

Anyone know where would the blue light from phones be on this scale

https://pbblogassets.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/2015/08/Kelvin-Scale-755.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sunnib

Calcium Magnesium Supplement works well for a good night sleep, taken before bedtime. It helps relaxing the muscles and is good for nerv reflexes, supports neurotransmitters in brain, works against cramps, too. Wearing a wooly jumper is a good trick..

And drinking enough during daytime also important.

A good walk or cycle during the day helps.

And a small cheese sandwich before bedtime does it for me.

When my mind races I tell it to settle into my feet, sometimes that works.

And hug a pillow...

sunnib wrote: »
    Calcium Magnesium Supplement works well for a good night sleep, taken before bedtime. It helps relaxing the muscles and is good for nerv reflexes, supports neurotransmitters in brain, works against cramps, too. Wearing a wooly jumper is a good trick..

And drinking enough during daytime also important.

A good walk or cycle during the day helps.

And a small cheese sandwich before bedtime does it for me.

When my mind races I tell it to settle into my feet, sometimes that works.

And hug a pillow...
    i have a combination of calcium magnesium Vitamin D3 and Zinc

• Registered Users Posts: 30 sunnib

If it's only Cal/Mag there might be more Magnesium in it. Adults need 300 - 400mg daily, if you drink alcohol regularly you'd need more

• Advertisement

sunnib wrote: »
    If it's only Cal/Mag there might be more Magnesium in it. Adults need 300 - 400mg daily, if you drink alcohol regularly you'd need more
    it has the daily allowance of mag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭walshtipp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,848 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

it has the daily allowance of mag

There’s kalms tablets you can buy. Not sure how effective they are.

Zinc/magnesium is good. ZMA capsules.
    Do you drink caffeine? Try not drink any after 5pm

• Site Banned Posts: 47 Saralace

Juice is full of sugar
    Stop drinking tea or coffee 4pm
    Stop eating any food at 6pm
    Turn off tv or phone 2 hours before bed

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    There’s kalms tablets you can buy. Not sure how effective they are.

Zinc/magnesium is good. ZMA capsules.
    Do you drink caffeine? Try not drink any after 5pm
    Kalms are valerian, said to work similar to valium but need to be taken for a few nights before they work. I woudl be wary of anything needing to build up like that. No caff after 5 for me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭Worztron

Pistachio Nuts

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Owenee

vital herbal Ashwagandha works well. I have so many sleepless nights The few days I’ve been taking this it seems to be working . I take it around 8pm and I’m in bed by 11 zzz. Big difference than before. My suggestion is make sure you eat something before taking this.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

I tried Ashwagandha last night. I got plenty of sleep. 👍🏻

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Timfy

Terrible idea...

Just one more... just one more... just one more... bugger it's 4am 😁

Also Ashwagandha, as well as sleep benefits, has supposedly also got powerful benefits for fertility and athletic performance... this too could lead to, ahem, broken sleep patterns!!!

Strangely enough, my go to when my getting to sleep is an issue is a milky coffee (single shot in a mug full of hot milk). Shouldn't work but seems to in my case.

Biggest thing has already been mentioned. No screens for two hours before retiring.

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Owenee

haha, glad to hear you say so, my anxiety also has dramatically improved since taking it

They're damn tasty alright. Most nights, I limit myself to 2. The odd night I might take 3. :-)

Ashwagandha looks good on a few fronts.

Coffee before bed? *_*

The screens is a big thing alright.

Cheers. That's good to know it helped also with your anxiety.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Is melatonin allowed to be sold here?

I can order chewing gums online that do contain melatonin I think, but they're not the cheapest.

Hi. When my relative was in Spain, they could buy Dormir in their equivalent of an ALDI/LIDL. It contained melatonin. So I suppose you can also get it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

Be very careful with Ashwagandha. Latest research strongly suggests Ashwagandha cause DNA and liver damage. Also should be avoided by people with autoimmune diseases, diabetes and Hashimoto's.

Hi Lex65.

I've heard good things about tart cherries.

My usual late-eve snack is:

• pistachio nuts
    • banana
    • yogurt

Advertisement